Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Some beautiful images Roly![emoji108]
I love my 7d mk2 and will have a look for a couple of Skye images to post when I can.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I’m just experimenting with other types of photography as my gear just sits collecting dust over the winter normally

Altogether not enough photos on this thread considering how many of us must have 7Dmkii's. The more I use this camera the more I love it.

Star Trail - Experiment by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

Reflections - Worthing Pier by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

Worthing Pier - Sunset by Roland Patrick, on Flickr

Worthing Pier - Sunset by Roland Patrick, on Flickr
37275419434_ae317ed5fe_b.jpg

Very nice set of images Sir, liking all of these very much, with#2 & #3 being my fav's.(y)

George.

I'm considering trying tethering to a laptop with my 7D MKii.

When the camera downloads the image to the laptop does it also write the image to the card in the camera, or only to the laptop?

Hello, I have recently become a 7Dii owner after having my trusty 7D original for almost 9 years !
Looking forward to using it.

Can some please let me know how to set within the menu system the AF square to appear in review images ?
many thanks

T

Go to the third page of the playback menu, which is coloured blue, and set AF POINT DISPLAY to enable

While you’re there it’s worth setting the magnification to ACTUAL SIZE so that when you press the zoom button on playback it zooms to 100% on the focus point that achieved focus.

Go to the third page of the playback menu, which is coloured blue, and set AF POINT DISPLAY to enable

While you’re there it’s worth setting the magnification to ACTUAL SIZE so that when you press the zoom button on playback it zooms to 100% on the focus point that achieved focus.

Thanks that did the trick

is it possible to have the af sq appear in the image on a 5d mk4 too, i have tried but cant seem to set it up.

if any 7d mk2 owners want a wifi card let me know and you can have mine as I didnt send it with the camera when I sold it to mpb, forgot about it tbh.

Hi Gaz, BBF and one shot. Also, when looking through the view finder I see the focus sq but when I press the back focus button the sq disappears in the view finder when focus is acheived. Its probably something I have inadvertantley set without knowing what.
cheer

mick

Hi Gaz, BBF and one shot. Also, when looking through the view finder I see the focus sq but when I press the back focus button the sq disappears in the view finder when focus is acheived. Its probably something I have inadvertantley set without knowing what.
cheer

mick

Ok. With BBF in ONE SHOT if you keep the button pressed and then fire the shutter you see the AF point in playback. If you press and release and then fire the shutter you don’t see the AF point in playback.

Just tried that Gaz thanks but still don't see the AF point in playback. I have set it to magnification actual size like you said above, that's handy. its a mystery. never mind.

Just tried that Gaz thanks but still don't see the AF point in playback. I have set it to magnification actual size like you said above, that's handy. its a mystery. never mind.

Have a loo in the AF menu, purple one, page 5.

What have you got AF POINT DISPLAY DURING FOCUS set to?. That does some odd things depending on the setting. If it’s not already set try setting it to SELECTED (constant) and see it that makes a difference.

yep, its already set to that Gaz.
Micheal, tried that too but although its set to enable it still doesnt show the af point for some reason. I dont know what else to try. thanks for all the help amyway fellas, its most bizzare to say the least.

yep, its already set to that Gaz.
Micheal, tried that too but although its set to enable it still doesnt show the af point for some reason. I dont know what else to try. thanks for all the help amyway fellas, its most bizzare to say the least.

If you haven’t done a massive amount of changes then maybe do a factory reset and start again?

Hi, me again.
Can someone pleas point me to some web sites or YouTube videos on using the 7Dii for video, ie face detection tracking / object tracking, AF racking speed etc ?

Also is there face detection AF for stills ! ?

Many thanks

T
As far as I know, face detection works for stills taken in live view, but not through the optical viewfinder.

This might be the best place to ask, simple question, but can someone explain the difference between Canon's USM and STM lenses? cheers.

The new USM Nano lenses (missus has the 18-135mm and 70-300mm II) are silent and VERY fast.

Cheers, STM are quieter it seems probably better for video? but USM is faster

STM is better for video is what I was trying to say. As I don't take video it doesn't matter to me, but I can vouch for STM being quiet.

Hello All,

Re Soft Focusing Issue

Hope you guys know the answer to my 7Dii issue.
I have recently purchased a used 7Dii with a shutter count of 53k apx, so a low mileage camera as it were.

I am having soft focusing while in optical AF mode, when I use live mode the sharpness is great !
It seems the focus just does not lock on properly. I have used both one Shot and AI Focus mode on just flowers in the garden, and my cat ( that is what pets are for, a cheap model for our cameras,..ha ) with both 100mm macro lens, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 contemporary, 70-300L f4 lens
Is there some sort of micro adjustment I need to do to rectify this issue ! ?

Do I need to send it to camera shop ! ?

Many thanks

Hello All,

Re Soft Focusing Issue

Hope you guys know the answer to my 7Dii issue.
I have recently purchased a used 7Dii with a shutter count of 53k apx, so a low mileage camera as it were.

I am having soft focusing while in optical AF mode, when I use live mode the sharpness is great !
It seems the focus just does not lock on properly. I have used both one Shot and AI Focus mode on just flowers in the garden, and my cat ( that is what pets are for, a cheap model for our cameras,..ha ) with both 100mm macro lens, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 contemporary, 70-300L f4 lens
Is there some sort of micro adjustment I need to do to rectify this issue ! ?

Do I need to send it to camera shop ! ?

Many thanks
There is micro focusing adjustment (MFA) feature on the 7DII. I can't remember which menu tab it's on off hand though.

Last edited:
Back