Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Who's going to be first to put up some stunning shots @iso 3200 :thinking:

....Patience, Grasshopper, patience!

I doubt very much if it will be me but my first shots are going to be ISO 6400 and probably just JPEG while I get the feel for it. The weather is not good down here today but I hope to walk the couple of miles to the beach tomorrow and shoot some seagulls. Normally they are where I live but not this week.

ok - literally out the box, charged battery and went outside to take a pic of my dog. iso 10,000 in jpeg mode, f1.6 1/250th. Cool or what. Image is VERY and eminently usable. Amazeballs! Not touched anything with regard to settings yet but just thought peeps would like to see. Full res version has a small amount of noise but nothing you would worry about and perfectly usable for most occasions! Nothing scientific but on first look, it smacks the old 7D out the park!
smedley-0002.jpg

@RedRobin - was there a printed manual in your box - I have nothing in my box, no CDs or manual - just the battery, charger, charger leads, camera and strap?

....Yes - The standard Canon 'Basic Instruction Manual' little printed booklet plus 2CDs (and LP-E6N battery, charger, power and USB leads, strap, guarantee and registration paperwork).

I'm guessing the camera is applying noise reduction if you are using default settings and shooting Jpeg. Would like to see some raw files if you have a Dropbox account or similar and it's not too much trouble?

Does look good though.

Who did you buy it from mate?

WEX - been on live chat with them and all they keep doing is reading off the 'accessories' list which doesn't include the manual etc. No USB leads etc. either.

....Yes - The standard Canon 'Basic Instruction Manual' little printed booklet plus 2CDs (and LP-E6N battery, charger, power and USB leads, strap, guarantee and registration paperwork).

Thanks Robin - I can go back to them now with some assurance that it should have been in there

Just standard nr in camera yes. I have some raws as well with no nr but Lightroom doesn't recognise yet obviously and don't have dpp loaded yet. Will let you know when I do.

WEX - been on live chat with them and all they keep doing is reading off the 'accessories' list which doesn't include the manual etc. No USB leads etc. either.

Thanks Robin - I can go back to them now with some assurance that it should have been in there

....I can't imagine that Wex would give you a hard time over this but if you need further backup, I can screenshot and post you a page from the PDF Instructions Manual which actually illustrates what is bundled and therefore should be included and even has all the part numbers.

Just a quick question does the old grip fit the mk2 as they share the same batt?

Just a quick question does the old grip fit the mk2 as they share the same batt?

....If the part # is the same then theoretically yes. But as Canon say they redesigned the Mark II "from the ground up", then I doubt it.

I've got the part # for the Mark II grip somewhere, so do you want me to find it?

first thing i noticed is a lock in the centre of the top dial, a great feature, Ive lost count of the times mine got accidentally turned in the bag, weirdly the images come up with 418a8667 etc instead of img_ etc

first thing i noticed is a lock in the centre of the top dial, a great feature, Ive lost count of the times mine got accidentally turned in the bag,

....The 70D has the same top dial lock.

weirdly the images come up with 418a8667 etc instead of img_ etc

....You can customise file alphanumerics in several ways.

The first thing that struck me was the number of AF options!!!

....Have you not seen the separate 50-page PDF solely on the subject of AF options? The system is extremely comprehensive and customisable. Hence why I'm still digesting it and haven't shot any images yet. I'm someone who always RTFM! :D

Went out to Blashford today to give mine a testing and must say first impressions are excellent - the 7D was a great camera but this one knocks spots off it. Although I shot in RAW, these shots are all jpegs as no way to process the raws at the moment
I mainly wanted to test out the high ISO capabilities so before we went out i took a quick shot of one of my wifes teapots - this is at ISO 25600 just a little NR in processing
15482094490_0c48a6ebee_c.jpg

Next a little grebe on the Blashford lake at a more normal ISO 800 - apart from a crop little processing on this one
15668485262_3176291cd7_c.jpg

We then decided to go to the woodland hide and on the way saw a number of different fungi so thought i would try this one at ISO 16000
15667675105_bde6693210_c.jpg

And finally from the woodland hide a female chaffinch at ISO 6400 - dont worry about the feet, a number of the Blashford birds suffer from this fungus which doesnt appear to have a detrimental effect on them
15482094730_81d14c803c_c.jpg

Stan

Went out to Blashford today to give mine a testing and must say first impressions are excellent - the 7D was a great camera but this one knocks spots off it. Although I shot in RAW, these shots are all jpegs as no way to process the raws at the moment
Stan

Teapot looks especially good with the processing.

Got my first decent set of Kingfisher shots at Blashford last weekend, I'm there most Saturday afternoons.

Teapot looks especially good with the processing.

Got my first decent set of Kingfisher shots at Blashford last weekend, I'm there most Saturday afternoons.

He is quite a regular there, although we just missed him today but got shots ojn Monday and a few weeks ago full frame shots when he perched on the twigs in front of the hide. I tend to go to Blashford during the week when it is less busy and Saturday will be on Brownsea

Stan

Went out to Blashford today to give mine a testing and must say first impressions are excellent
Stan

.... @stanm and @Mike.P

Is that Blashford Lakes near Ringwood and The New Forest, please?

Last edited:
My tracking number still isn't picking anything up but these videos & manual will help me out until tomorrow, when I'm working from home!

*edit

So how long do these batteries take to charge!? :D

Last edited:
Don't think this has been posted yet, Canon USA have published a set of tutorial videos.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos7dmarkii_tutorials.shtml

....Brilliant! Extremely helpful. Cheers, Gerry! :)

It's quite a camera isn't it. I think the ability to change so many settings by prior customisation while still looking through the viewfinder is so enabling. Even before I have shot any images I can see the 7D Mark II's potential. Well worth pre-ordering and tomorrow (Friday) I start shooting.

I am a terrible shopper.... I just bought one for collection today...

I bought 3 and got a deal hence taking the plunge (no they are not all for me)

One of the things available in the 7D2 is the ability to alter the autofocus settings in the menu and I've found it very useful to have two of the settings available for rapid recall by adding them to the "My menu" display on the rear screen, which can be set up to display as soon as the menu button is pressed...these are "access/decel tracking" and "tracking sensitivity".

I certainly found the set up for the different autofocus situations the most challenging thing to learn in the 1Dx and I suspect the 7D2 will be the same.

I'm also looking forward to trying the iTR as I don't think any of us using a 1Dx have found it useful, it's just tended to slow down the AF.

Just waiting for mine to fall through the door!!

George.

One of the things available in the 7D2 is the ability to alter the autofocus settings in the menu and I've found it very useful to have two of the settings available for rapid recall by adding them to the "My menu" display on the rear screen, which can be set up to display as soon as the menu button is pressed...these are "access/decel tracking" and "tracking sensitivity".

I certainly found the set up for the different autofocus situations the most challenging thing to learn in the 1Dx and I suspect the 7D2 will be the same.

I'm also looking forward to trying the iTR as I don't think any of us using a 1Dx have found it useful, it's just tended to slow down the AF.

Just waiting for mine to fall through the door!!

George.

I think you can have multiple "my menu" settings as well which helps

I think you can have multiple "my menu" settings as well which helps

Really?.......as far as I'm aware, not in the 1Dx, must check in the manual!!

Edit...if you mean multiple items on one page, then yes, it's 5 or 6...

Last edited:
Mine arrived 20 mins ago - I've popped on the grip, done a very quick set-up and am now taking it out to try on my dog chasing her ball :-D

Really?.......as far as I'm aware, not in the 1Dx, must check in the manual!!

Edit...if you mean multiple items on one page, then yes, it's 5 or 6...

No you can actually have multiple my menus which you can rename to anything you like

No you can actually have multiple my menus which you can rename to anything you like

To save time, can you point me to a page in the manual, Martin?
On a separate point, just had an email from Harrison cameras saying "10% off all Canon DSLRs this weekend, just put SAVE10CANON in at checkout...presumably this applies to the 7D mk2 as well?

Last edited:
Just had a look at the on line manual, it says "you can register up to 6 items in My menu" ( page 459) but I can't see any reference to multiple "my menus"' Martin...am I missing something?

Just had a look at the on line manual, it says "you can register up to 6 items in My menu" ( page 459) but I can't see any reference to multiple "my menus"' Martin...am I missing something?

Maybe they dropped that feature, but they showed that feature on the preview day. I am just off to collect one so I will check out the manual as well.

Martin

Back