Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone I’m sort o new to photography and was looking to buy a camera for sports and wildlife photography and was wondering would a canon 7d mkii still be worth purchasing thanks in advance

Yes but the Nikon d500 is better in my opinion. Other will say get mirrorless which I would be looking to do if starting off in 2020.

The big advantage I see in mirrorless is live exposure preview.

So like a mobile phone you can see the exposure of the shot live before you take the shot.

DSLR`s have a exposure meter which is very different

Do you have any lenses yet? Or are you just starting out?
For sports and wildlife - speed, af accuracy and maybe FPS depending on your style will be important. That said - lenses that are capable for this style of shooting can be big money.
I use both canon and Nikon for sports .... I’d be looking at the canon 1d mkiv or if you can stretch 1dx and a 70-200 non is to start with. On the Nikon side d3s or d4 coupled with one of their 70-200 2.8’s - that said I think the canon setup of the 1dx would
Be far superior. You’ll likely be pushing iso to keep shutter speed up.

mirrorless at this time full frame would be really expensive - there are other alternatives If you know you’ll only be in good light (micro 4/3 much more affordable)

Agree with previous comment that the Nikon d500 is better, but the Canon 7dii is still a brilliant camera. Based on your budget you could get a brand new 7dii from either e-infinity or HDEW for under £900, or take your chances in the secondhand market, but you might not get one much cheaper than the new prices.

For £999 at e-infinity you could get

EOS 90D Camera + EF-S 18-55mm IS STM + EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens

From the specs the 90D looks good enough for most non pro`s sports and wildlife and you build up your lenses to 3 instead of 1.

Back