Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would a 48 megapixel perform if you are cramming the individual sensor elements in the same form factor of a full frame sensor with regard to noise performance? To be honest I would rather have an 18 megapixel full frame sensor camera if it were performing better at high iso performance then having a 48 megapixel full frame sensor with lower performance ISO performance.

The 18 megapixel will have a better high iso performance than the 48 by quite a bit....horses for courses!!

I'm just saying that it might be better for Canon to make their full frame sensors circa 22 megapixels for full frame format at the moment. A canon medium format camera at 48 megapixel camera would be more interesting though. :)

Well, one of my pals has a Nikon D810 and the IQ is absolutely excellent, crops very well if necessary, but again although the frame rate has improved over the D800, it's still of limited use and he relies mostly on his D4s for wildlife.

We have just returned from the Pantanal in Brazil shooting jaguars, he was using the D4s with the Nikon 80-400, and getting excellent results, it really is a great lens and I hope the Canon 100-400 replacement, which has been confirmed in principle by Canon and hopefully is a turn of the year job, will be as good.

I was using one 1 Dx with a 70-200 mk2 2.8 with a 1.4 extender on for most of the time, and when I needed more reach the other 1Dx with a 300 mk2 2.8 and another 1.4 extender, and I took a 2x extender when I needed 600mm, so I also had the opportunity to drop to 2.8 with both lenses very early morning and late evening, however had the new 100-400 been available the weight advantage would have been significant I believe.

Just what suits your own type of photography!!....and a 7D mk2 would have been great...again weight saving!!

Edit...somehow my last para went missing....

should have added....I don't think there is a substitute for FF and a good prime/zoom, but the price and weight advantages of a 7D2 with a quality zoom will be a very marketable combo, lets hope the result is worth the wait!!

Last edited:
I'm just saying that it might be better for Canon to make their full frame sensors circa 22 megapixels for full frame format at the moment. A canon medium format camera at 48 megapixel camera would be more interesting though. :)
Why would Canon develop a medium format DSLR. They never bothered with film SLRs.

The 18 megapixel will have a better high iso performance than the 48 by quite a bit....horses for courses!!

....Tony Northrup was saying exactly this in one of his videos (although I was looking at Chelsea).

Most definitely horses-for-courses and that's what's great about a camera manufacturer with a whole range of DSLR bodies and lenses - Something for everybody.

...I don't think there is a substitute for FF and a good prime/zoom, but the price and weight advantages of a 7D2 with a quality zoom will be a very marketable combo, lets hope the result is worth the wait!!

....It's also a question of what different photographers can afford. As a non-professional but who shoots about 300 pics every week (since my first DSLR last December - a 70D) I can afford to upgrade my 70D body to a 7D2 and I have bought all my 4 Canon L lenses from TP Classifieds. I would love a new 400mm F/2.8 DO to replace my beloved 400mm F/5.6L, but..

I think there are a lot of serious amateur photographers like me who Canon value selling to.

... the Canon 100-400 replacement, which has been confirmed in principle by Canon...
Do you have a source for that?

I'm beginning to like the idea of a 1DX and 7DMkII sooner rather than later. Think if I can move my 5D3 on for reasonable money I will pre order one instead of usually waiting til the initial rush has died down for new kit

Do you have a source for that?

The article Ian quoted was the source where I saw it formally announced, I realise you've taken me to task before on this one, Stewart, but I still think (and hope) this lens will be announced around the New year (2014/15) with availability early next year.
It is well overdue now, and I suspect those people who will buy the 2-400 f4 with extender will have done so by now, it's a great lens but with limited appeal due to weight and price.

Must be a good one for you to hire, I suspect?...for very specific uses such as a safari, for which I found it ideal.

....It's also a question of what different photographers can afford. As a non-professional but who shoots about 300 pics every week (since my first DSLR last December - a 70D) I can afford to upgrade my 70D body to a 7D2 and I have bought all my 4 Canon L lenses from TP Classifieds. I would love a new 400mm F/2.8 DO to replace my beloved 400mm F/5.6L, but..

I think there are a lot of serious amateur photographers like me who Canon value selling to.

Why not consider a mk1 400 F4 DO?.........available reasonably price and a superb (and vastly underrated) lens.

Wouldn't explain the same rumour in 2006 - LINK
And I note that one of the contributors to that 2006 discussion said "This rumour has been cropping up every few weeks for the last few years!"

When you think about it, Chuck Westfall's statement means nothing at all. Of course Canon are committed in principle to developing a replacement for the 100-400; they're hardly going to leave it in production forever. But without any commitment to a timescale...

Last edited:
Why not consider a mk1 400 F4 DO?.........available reasonably price and a superb (and vastly underrated) lens.

....Good idea but I simply can't afford to consider it at this time. Thanks.

Hells bells - those higher ISOs do look good. It's obviously ETTR, but still 1600/3200 do look tidy

Hmmm. If they've exposed to the right and then backed off post capture I'd want to see and test for myself before enthusing too much as even my lowly Panasonic G1 can produce noise free ISO 3200 pictures when used that way.

We really won't know till they get out in to the field.........approx 1 month?..

Just downloaded 037A1291 which is if the info is to be believed ISO 6400. It's not impressive, IMVHO. I chose this one as it looked like a higher ISO shot.

I don't know what's been done to these pictures and I'm only looking out of interest as a former Canon owner (300D, 10D, 20D and 5D so I do have a soft spot for Canon) but based on this shot I'd reserve praise until more is known.

Because they want you money now.

I noticed that slr hut is saying 7d-2 is in stock for delivery how's that ?

....That's probably breaking the law if it actually isn't held physically in stock in any of their owned registered premises.

Quite apart from that, to string customers along like that by inevitably then making subsequent excuses for why they can't deliver yet, is appalling behaviour. I have never heard of 'SLR Hut' and would warn others not to buy anything from them if this is how they are behaving.

Retailers such as Park Cameras, Wex and others, are honest and clearly state "pre-order" and that they don't yet know an exact shipping date other than expecting late November.

....That's probably breaking the law if it actually isn't held physically in stock in any of their owned registered premises.

Quite apart from that, to string customers along like that by inevitably then making subsequent excuses for why they can't deliver yet, is appalling behaviour. I have never heard of 'SLR Hut' and would warn others not to buy anything from them if this is how they are behaving.

Retailers such as Park Cameras, Wex and others, are honest and clearly state "pre-order" and that they don't yet know an exact shipping date other than expecting late November.
SLR Hut are scam artists, and quite famously so.

This is exactly how they behave, you're as likely to get a 7dII out of them as any other camera they're advertising :)

I had a play with a beta 7D2 today. feels nice in the hand as I expected and is very similar to the 5d3 apart from the new flick thingy on the controller. I had a look at the new grip as well which feels just as well built as the main body.

Handling / AF / Menus are very similar to the 5d3 with a few tweaks and additions, including multiple my menu tabs which you can rename :)

No cards allowed but pixel peeping on the back of the camera the results look decent.

Had a presentation by a plain speaking English pro who showed some amazing wildlife shots from his 1dx then showed 2 shots from a beta 7d2 at 100% crops at iso 1600 of red deer stags shot yesterday.

I was very tempted to just order one on the spot.

.....I like the fact you can set auto iso and a minimum shutter speed, that is really useful. Never come across that before.

It's excellent for sport. I just set the shutter speed to 1/1000th and then I can roll the aperture up and down and let the Iso setting take care of the exposure.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back