Canon 7Dmk2 + Auto ISO

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys and girl, so I’ve upgraded to a 7Dmkii and what a camera compared to the original 7D, so because I’m a wildlife photographer and well... live in the uk.. the lighting is constantly changing, and when I’m practicing in full manual mode.. I find me self getting worse and worse shots and completely wasting my time.. it kinda takes all the fun away from it, so auto iso is brilliant with how snappy it is and it does expose better than the original 7D.

Now, I’m just wondering if anyone else uses this, because although I get great shots with it, if there’s something white in the background it will tend to overexpose that little bit of white or if it’s white in the bird it will overexpose it. Now I know I wouldn’t get this with manual mode but if there’s a lot happening around me I just can’t change the settings fast enough to be catching it all.

has anyone experienced the overexposure and if so, have they counted it with moving the exposure meter down or what not?

Thanks for any advise or help
All the best
Nick

Yes it is a great camera. I don’t know if you have read the canon manual on AF where it goes through all cases. I found that a great help. As for my set up I tend to use AV mode and then all I have to do is keep an eye on my shutter speed. Depending on conditions I find that evaluative is quite good for none cluttered situations. I then dial in the mode that suits the situation.
As you have said it is a very customisable camera it just takes a little time to get it right. Good luck

Unless using flash there is little point using m mode. Auto iso on canons was (and maybe still is) badly incomplete and unusable due to lack of exposure compensation adjustment. Forget about it in variable or difficult light

the lighting is constantly changing, and when I’m practicing in full manual mode.

Manual mode is almost completly usless in a stuation where the lighting is changing.. Why on earth would you use it... I am guessing someone told you thats what proper photogrpahers do haha

Seriously.. Never use manual mode in changing light.. it's juts daft

Setting up in manual and using auto iso means your in semi auto mode.. So the camera is setting the exposure for you.. so long as you know how to control that with exposure compenstation (if required) then semi auto is good.. aperture priority, shutter priority.. auto iso .. all semi auto

if lighting is set and not changing then manual is good

just remember... all those other modes are there for a reason.. only a fool sticks to manual for everyhting :)

I don't have a 7Dii any more, I moved on to a 5Div, however I pretty much always use Manual mode and Auto ISO, but I also dial in exposure compensation if required, and you can do this on the 7D2. (It automatically adjusts the ISO to compensate)

This changing light scenario may not fit your situation, but if I am shooting kitesurfers where they are silhouetted against the sky, I will probably want the exposure to be a little brighter than the camera will meter, As they move from left to right across the sea, the light may change, but with the exposure compensation dialled in, it will always give me that slightly brighter exposure which is what I usually want.

Edit: I've just reread your post. I think what you are experiencing is probably that your 7Dii is exposing a little brighter than your 7D would in the same situation. This could well be so. My friend with a 7D always used to expose to the right whereas I always felt if anything I wanted to go the other way with my 7Dii.

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone replies! They have been very helpful! With how the lighting is in the UK I shall be sticking to auto ISO i think :)

Thanks
Chilt

When I had my 7D2 I also used auto ISO the majority of the time in manual mode pretty much as @Bebop. I found it did the job in general and worked out pretty well.

Back