Canon 7DMKII batteries

I bought a few spares for my 7DmkII from Wex in Norwich.
The genuine Canon LP-E6N is not cheap at £74.99, but they also sell the Hahnel brand, which cost around half for a standard battery, or £54.00 for the 'extreme' version.
I'm considering buying a few Hahnel batteries....they are supposed to be quite good, though of course the genuine ones are probably better and will no doubt last longer!

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-lp-e6n-battery-pack-1560403/ - Canon

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/hahnel-extreme-hlx-e6n-battery-canon-lp-e6n-1603294/ - Hahnel Extreme

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/hahnel-hl-e6-battery-canon-lp-e6-1031920/ - Hahnel standard

I, very quickly, gave up on both Canon and non OEM packs for my 7D2.

As I primarily use long and heavy lenses I bought a battery grip for my 7D2. Luckily the grip comes with an insert for AA cells = happy!

I bought a number of LP-E6/N packs for my camera and they are all junk including the one that came with it. On the other hand the rather old Eneloop 1900 Mah cells that I had lying about for several years perform excellently. They give lots of shooting, self discharge is irrelevant (unlike the Lithium packs!) and are simple/easy/quick to charge.

If I hadn't bought the battery grip for my 7D2 it would have gone long ago. Nowadays there are 2500 Mah Eneloops which may perform better but I have only had my 1900 versions for a decade or so - so I don't want to rush things.

@johnf3f whilst I disagree with you that the Canon LP-E6N are junk, using decent NiMH AAs in the battery grip, however, is a great idea, which I will definitely be trying.
I have a few dozen Energiser Extreme 2300s which I use in my speed lights, and are pretty good.
A pack of four of these are around 12 quid, three packs being 36 quid (always good to have a backup set;)), which is about the same as one standard Hahnel battery!

Not sure if the OP has a battery grip.... they're eye-wateringly expensive for the 7DmkII, at around £250 new!!
I felt fortunate to find a decent condition used one, combined with a 'one day 10% off all used gear' special offer, for £100, from Wex.
Still a bit steep, but it's never off my camera....easily the best hundred quid I ever spent!

@johnf3f whilst I disagree with you that the Canon LP-E6N are junk, using decent NiMH AAs in the battery grip, however, is a great idea, which I will definitely be trying.
I have a few dozen Energiser Extreme 2300s which I use in my speed lights, and are pretty good.
A pack of four of these are around 12 quid, three packs being 36 quid (always good to have a backup set;)), which is about the same as one standard Hahnel battery!

Not sure if the OP has a battery grip.... they're eye-wateringly expensive for the 7DmkII, at around £250 new!!
I felt fortunate to find a decent condition used one, combined with a 'one day 10% off all used gear' special offer, for £100, from Wex.
Still a bit steep, but it's never off my camera....easily the best hundred quid I ever spent!

You did well there, my grip was £170 new, but I would happily have bought a used one for £70 less!

I say the LP-E6/N packs are junk because mine are and they are the only ones that I can really judge properly. If yours are OK then that's great.

I am not familiar with your AA cells but, since the Panasonic takeover, Eneloops are sold under a variety of brands and claimed capacities - but they are still good. If your Energisers perform well in your Flash Guns then they should be fine in your camera. In my case 6 Eneloops are less than the stated capacity of one LP-E6/N pack, let alone two, yet they last longer - which I why I like them and find the "proper" packs to be, well let's just say inadequate.

I bought a number of LP-E6/N packs for my camera and they are all junk including the one that came with it. On the other hand the rather old Eneloop 1900 Mah cells that I had lying about for several years perform excellently. They give lots of shooting, self discharge is irrelevant (unlike the Lithium packs!) and are simple/easy/quick to charge.

How many shots do you get from these batteries?

I've been using batteries from sevendayshop in my 7D2 for years, cheap and reliable :)

How many shots do you get from these batteries?

To be honest I have never measured it! It very much comes down to what you need. I want my camera to last all day whether I take 2 or 2000 shots. In other words I want my camera turned on and ready to go instantly. If I am doing Motorsports then it will be a LOT of images in quick succession, on wildlife I may wait all day and not take a single frame!

With my Lithium packs they show significant discharge over half a day whether I take images or not and I am changing them out before the end of the day. With my (old) Eneloops I just use them. So long as I haven't discharged them too much on the previous outing I just forget about it and go shoot.

I bought several backups for my Canon LP-E6N - I don't bother even carrying spare Eneloops, even though I have them.

Hope that clarifies.

Is your grip a genuine Canon or an aftermarket? as some are known to have battery drain issues.

I managed to take over 2600 shots at Flying Legends using 1 original Canon battery & 1 ExPro which still had 50% left - (not using grip)

The reason I asked is that I have just bought a Canon BG-E16 grip but not used it yet, and from your comments I think I will buy a set of rechargeable AA's as a backup.

I use hahnel extreme LP6-EN on my eos R and they last longer than the original canon battery. They do a battery and a duel charger for not much more than the battery alone.

T

Is your grip a genuine Canon or an aftermarket? as some are known to have battery drain issues.

I managed to take over 2600 shots at Flying Legends using 1 original Canon battery & 1 ExPro which still had 50% left - (not using grip)

The reason I asked is that I have just bought a Canon BG-E16 grip but not used it yet, and from your comments I think I will buy a set of rechargeable AA's as a backup.

Yes mine is a proper Canon grip bought brand new - the non OEM grips were too wobbly for my liking. The BG-E16 fits the camera body much more securely than previous grips that I have owned/tried both Canon and copies.

The BG-E16 is expensive - but it is a nice piece of kit and quite robust. The controls (buttons) work nicely too.

As to what batteries you use? Try what you have first. If, like me, you are disappointed then investigate the AA options, try first - spend later!

Back