Canon 80d or 7d mk2

Canon wise I currently use a 7DMKI and a M5. I was in the same position as you and have tried both cameras ... They both have their pros and cons with the 7DII really leaning towards being a sports/action body whereas the 80D is more of an all rounder. I must admit I was very impressed with the swivel touch screen which made macro a lot easier and the sensor is a bit better as well I believe but when it came to af speed and tracking the 7DII won hands down.

Saying all that it has taken me so long to decide I am now waiting for the 7D MKIII :rolleyes:

@Mike.P i am very tempted to join you in waiting for a 7D Mkiii - that could be a very impressive camera in itself and worth the wait is my guess. My 20D may be old but it still works fine at the moment.

Canon wise I currently use a 7DMKI and a M5. I was in the same position as you and have tried both cameras ... They both have their pros and cons with the 7DII really leaning towards being a sports/action body whereas the 80D is more of an all rounder. I must admit I was very impressed with the swivel touch screen which made macro a lot easier and the sensor is a bit better as well I believe but when it came to af speed and tracking the 7DII won hands down.

Saying all that it has taken me so long to decide I am now waiting for the 7D MKIII :rolleyes:

I would wait also, the 7d mk2 will look very old the day the 7d mk 3 is out and it could be this summer or late summer

@Mike.P i am very tempted to join you in waiting for a 7D Mkiii - that could be a very impressive camera in itself and worth the wait is my guess. My 20D may be old but it still works fine at the moment.

Waiting for the latest tech is all well and good but don't believe for a minute that the MK3 price will be as low as the mk2.

The 7DII is a considerable jump up from a 20D (still have mine), so a 7DIII should be even more so.

Yes the mk 3 will be an amazing camera to be honest though I'm at the stage now that my mk 2 does everything that I need
Maybe what I do isn't that demanding but I don't think I'll be upgrading for a long while

The 7d3 will be great. But no announcements yet and may not this year

@wave01 you make the point that is challenging the do I wait or not side of things for me - something says just get on and get a Mk2 or 80D, the other side says at least get latest when you buy even if everything goes out of date fairly quickly.

If you wait for the next latest there will always be another latest waiting just around the corner and you will never buy anything. Buy and use what is available right now - the compensation for not having the latest kit tomorrow morning is the photos you took today.

I can not believe canon wait so long to announce upgrades and then I feel that the spec falls short when comparing the 2 main rivals.
I just hope that all new Canon bodies do NOT have the AA filter.
APSC canon sensors are apx 8% smaller than Sony & Nikon and canon sensors are apx 25% behind the main two. So just by increase the sensor size canon could improve the IQ gap by at 8% out of 25% !
Sure there is pixel density and other factors in sensor manufacturing which contribute to a good sensor. Fact is in this game Size does matter !

Last edited:
I can believe canon wait so long to announce upgrades and then I feel that the spec falls short when comparing the 2 main rivals.
I just hope that all new Canon bodies do NOT have the AA filter.
APSC canon sensors are apx 8% smaller than Sony & Nikon and canon sensors are apx 25% behind the main two. So just by increase the sensor size canon could improve the IQ gap by at 8% out of 25% !
Sure there is pixel density and other factors in sensor manufacturing which contribute to a good sensor. Fact is in this game Size does matter !
LOL

I know it's an old post, but I love seeing this! People who still use their old reliable, no matter what it is. I respect that, not hurrying to jump to the next model just because it's 'in' at the time. If you're getting good results from your old gear, and you're happy using it, kudos for sticking with.

I know it's an old post, but I love seeing this! People who still use their old reliable, no matter what it is. I respect that, not hurrying to jump to the next model just because it's 'in' at the time. If you're getting good results from your old gear, and you're happy using it, kudos for sticking with.

I agree. I'd say a lot of us are a few generations ahead of what we really need, although as this is a hobby for me part of the fun is buying new gear. Not that i do it a lot, but i go in knowing i dont really need a new camera etc.

Saying that, sensor quality is improving with each generation, so features aside, that is one area where it might be worth upgrading.

Back