Canon 80d or 7d mk2

Edit My Images
No
Hi
I'm thinking of updating my 550d with either the 80d or 7d mk2. I will be using the camera for family / holiday photos plus kids sports and equestrian (point to point and eventing), landscapes and wildlife. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

The better strategy is to go for the higher end gear if the
means are there!

7D2 owner here and if you've got the funds for one you won't regret it

I got my 7DII just before the 80D came out and I'm delighted with it, especially when paired with the 100-400 MkII which I already had.

The 80D has the better sensor, apparently. It also has built in wifi (though I've read that the 7DII now comes with a wifi SD card) and more f/8 compatible focus points.

The 7DII has better build, faster more advanced focusing system, faster frame rate.

If I were buying now, I'd be in the same dilemma as you.

Last edited:
I went from 550d to 80d. I love mine. Particularly, in no order- the articulating screen- i rarely use it for shooting, but it gives piece of mind I won't scratch my LCD screen when in use, or when not. I love the number of focus points, I love the way the focus points move when i change from landscape to portrait shooting position (something I recently learned how to do), I love the bigger in the hand feel and handling of it; I love the face tracking mode in the video - that's fab. The focussing is ace in picture mode too and the high ISO low noise is miles better than the 550d. The 7d2 is no doubt a great camera but I've never held one - check out the 80d owners thread there's loads of info and photo's in there. I hope this helps.

It's a tough call between those two - I'm having the same dilemma at the moment as an upgrade to my 7D1! I think honestly with me it's hovering towards the 7D2 mostly due to me not wanting to give up the thumb stick for selecting focus points, I shoot mostly animals so I don't want to take a downgrade in FPS, I have a big stash of CF cards, and performance at higher ISOs is slightly better than the 80D. Saving a big chunk of cash would be rather nice though, the swivelling screen is always tempting, and the 80D is definitely better at lower ISO than the 7D2.

They're both a huge upgrade from a 550D though, so you can't really go too far wrong!

This is my current dilemma too. I have borrowed a 7D Mk II a couple of times so I have spent some time handling one, and I love the thumb controls for selecting AF points and the image quality. But then the 80D has a newer sensor, better dynamic range and a touch screen. I shoot mainly motorsport so I naturally gravitate towards a 7D Mk II, but they are currently around £350 more than an 80D which seems a lot to pay for slightly better build quality, slightly better AF and a thumb controller

I have a 60D and a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket (genuine bonus from work so not guilty about treating myself)

Also thinking of selling a bit of musical gear that's just sat in the garage and the 80D is just sounding so good.

Decisions,decisions !!

I have a 60D and a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket (genuine bonus from work so not guilty about treating myself)

Also thinking of selling a bit of musical gear that's just sat in the garage and the 80D is just sounding so good.

Decisions,decisions !!

Be careful what you sell or you'll be needing a new username :D

This is my current dilemma too. I have borrowed a 7D Mk II a couple of times so I have spent some time handling one, and I love the thumb controls for selecting AF points and the image quality. But then the 80D has a newer sensor, better dynamic range and a touch screen. I shoot mainly motorsport so I naturally gravitate towards a 7D Mk II, but they are currently around £350 more than an 80D which seems a lot to pay for slightly better build quality, slightly better AF and a thumb controller

Hi
Yes I'm thinking I might go 80D and put the extra money towards 70-200l f4. If my primary shooting was fast paced sports I could proberbly justify the extra but as an all round camera I think the 80D might suit my needs.

It's a tough call between those two - I'm having the same dilemma at the moment as an upgrade to my 7D1! I think honestly with me it's hovering towards the 7D2 mostly due to me not wanting to give up the thumb stick for selecting focus points, I shoot mostly animals so I don't want to take a downgrade in FPS, I have a big stash of CF cards, and performance at higher ISOs is slightly better than the 80D. Saving a big chunk of cash would be rather nice though, the swivelling screen is always tempting, and the 80D is definitely better at lower ISO than the 7D2.

They're both a huge upgrade from a 550D though, so you can't really go too far wrong!

Yes either way I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Be careful what you sell or you'll be needing a new username :D

Lol, yes good point.

I have a cheaper cab that I could use if needed as I just can't see the time I am back out regular gigging.

I love standing in for my old bands as it's a buzz but not sure I want to give up most of my Saturday nights again. Enjoyed it at the time but love my home life now.

Hi
Yes I'm thinking I might go 80D and put the extra money towards 70-200l f4. If my primary shooting was fast paced sports I could proberbly justify the extra but as an all round camera I think the 80D might suit my needs.

This is my thinking, for the cost of a 7D Mk II I could have an 80D and a new lens. Decisions decisions...

Hi

That's the lens I want to add to my collection for those longer landscape shots and more.

I went from a 550d to a 7d2. I think its a good camera and very customisable much more than the 550d. It will take some getting used to. If you go the 7d2 route thenI would recommend that you down load the af system pdf from canon too. It helped me understand things better.

I have the 80D it's only downside is the lack of thumb controller ,but once your used to it the rear wheel is just as good .the dynamic range knocks the 7d2 into the dust ,last week we had a rare bird in th garden late evening I got decent shots of it with the sigma sport lens at a incredible ten thousand ISO

That's cheaper than used ones on eBay !!

Given the OP wanted the Canon 80D and the 70-200 F4 A good combined price of body £669 + 70-200 £429 = £1098 less 2 % through quidco = £1076 Further trick is to sign up to the rewards scheme buy the lens then place the order for the 80D a further £15 off the 80D under the rewards scheme E-global operate. Pretty competitive package overall

There are various owners threads, have a browse and see what the owners actually think of their's, it may help you to make up your mind (y)

80D

7DII

I went to currys today to buy myself a lens as it's my Birthday (wahoo!)

Had a first hands on both cameras, the 80D was switched on with battery life so I had a play, that shutter speed is lovely (coming from a 700D user) and it felt really nice to hold, I then held the 7Dmk2 - wow, a beast of a camera for a crop. It's finished really nice, lovely ergonomics and you can almost feel that weather proofed magnesium body underneath.

Unfortunately the 7Dmk2 wouldn't turn on so I couldn't see what that burst rate shutter was like. Oh well.

I think if you were shooting just wildlife the 7Dmk2 would be the obvious choice, if your photography involves a range of subjects and genres then I'd go for the 80D for the improved dynamic range, upgraded sensor and better ISO handling. The only benefit I can see really of going for the 7Dmk2 is better weather sealing and that ability of 10fps, as well as the more accurate and faster focusing system - I don't think it focuses _that_ much quicker from the 80D from what I've seen / read but it tracks better.

Ive not owned the 7Dmkii but have borrowed a friends a few times.
If it was me i'd get the 80D. Its a bit slower as far as FPS goes, but the 80D has all the modern features i want, inc the touch and fold out screen. I cant get over how useful those features are, and the focusing speed in LV is just amazing. just touch the screen in the right place and the shot is taken, no hunting like with the older Canon bodies.
The ability to control it with my phone has also come in very handy. WiFi is a pretty cool feature.

As an all round camera the 80D is very hard to beat. in fact its causing me to sell my 5Dmkiii so i can get a mkiv, just for the touch screen and new sensor.

but the 80D has all the modern features i want, inc the touch and fold out screen. I cant get over how useful those features are,
I wonder if its an "Age thing" ? but that would be the exact reasons that I would discount the 80D
I find both of those traits very annoying.

I've had a 7DII for about 18 months and it does exactly what I want it to do, right down to the massive improvement on the MkI ( that it replaced) high iso handling.

The ability to control it with my phone has also come in very handy. WiFi is a pretty cool feature.
I also wonder if by adding all these "bits and pieces" if the camera itself, is suffering, inasmuch as could the technology be put to better use, the improvement of sensors iso handling, basic camera functions etc,
or at the very least are the majority of people are paying for additions, that they would never use? and would prefer a more traditional type camera, at a cheaper price?

Can you tell I'm a bit of a dinosaur? :D

Well first off you can turn touch screen off, and dont have to fold out the screen. Same goes for WiFi and anything else you dont want to use.

I would add that i didnt know how useful these features were until i had them. Sure, we can all survive without them, but if it makes life easier then why not? Im sure a lot of us only shoot raw, and by doing that we arent using a huge part of the camera anyway. Ive had my 80D since last April and only last week did i find out it does HDR video. No, i dont really need it, but if i did, its there.Its hidden away in the "newbie" section, where im sure many of us have never been.

It seem the way the market is going. Lets face it, when live view or video was first introduced there many that thought the sky had fallen in, and touted these features as not wanted and were just gimmicks.

Have been following this thread, as I use the 70D and have been looking at both cameras, I am thinking for me as I love my wildlife it might be best to get the 7D mkii. Reason is, better fps and 65 af points, plus the Raw buffer. On top of that I wont mind a bit of Noise either as I think some folk can be too fussy when it comes to Noise :)

I wonder if its an "Age thing" ? but that would be the exact reasons that I would discount the 80D
I find both of those traits very annoying.

I've had a couple of cameras with fold-out screens now and I find them very useful. If you don’t want fold out you just fold it back face-out and then it is just like an ordinary rear screen. As for touch I tend not to use it at all but generally it does not "get in the way". I also use Wi-Fi for remote shooting from time to time and it is very handy when you need it for things like selfies and difficult angles.

I have to say I have been thinking about a 7Dii or 80D and am having the same dilemma as everyone else, from the reviews I've read the 7Dii has a slightly better focusing system, which would be my main driver for getting another body but then the 7Dii is quite old and high ISO and dynamic range is generally better on newer sensors. I'd love a decent side-by-side comparison of AI Servo focus tracking of the two bodies

Probably not much use to this discussion but the 7Dmkii lags a long way behind the 80D for AF if you use the rear LCD. AF is pretty much on a par with using the VF as far as tracking and speed go. Thats probably more use if you are doing video though, but i find im using the screen more and more with 80D, and really miss it when i go back to my 5Dmkiii.

Well first off you can turn touch screen off, and dont have to fold out the screen. Same goes for WiFi and anything else you dont want to use.
That's why I said
or at the very least are the majority of people are paying for additions, that they would never use?
Im sure a lot of us only shoot raw,and by doing that we arent using a huge part of the camera anyway
Without started the old ageing war :D I started off with Jpeg, then moved onto raw, as it happens cs5 can't read 7DII raw files so I reverted to Jpeg,
Jpegs can be manipulated in ACR just the same as raw.
So I see no difference TBH, if the detail is not there, at either end of the scale, then no amount of manipulation will recover it.
Thats probably more use if you are doing video though,
And I guess that is the way a lot "photography" is going these days.
and touted these features as not wanted and were just gimmicks.
Ultimately its horses for courses I guess.

I've had a couple of cameras with fold-out screens now and I find them very useful. If you don’t want fold out you just fold it back face-out and then it is just like an ordinary rear screen.
As above Chris, it seems pointless to me at least, but then again horses for courses.

7Dii is quite old and high ISO and dynamic range is generally better on newer sensors.
One would hope so certainly, as I've not tried an 80D then I can't comment, but have in the past, used older camera's with fold screens and found them to be a pita, aka a gimmick.

Although I would add, I now tend to shoot auto iso, as I trust the 7DII much more than the 7DI.
and have found surprisingly when checking the exif, what I would class as very high, no noise, iso readings.
So this Dinosaur is happy with the 7DII at least :)

Probably not much use to this discussion but the 7Dmkii lags a long way behind the 80D for AF if you use the rear LCD. AF is pretty much on a par with using the VF as far as tracking and speed go. Thats probably more use if you are doing video though, but i find im using the screen more and more with 80D, and really miss it when i go back to my 5Dmkiii.

Same for me Dave when i use the 6D I find the touchscreen really useful flicking through the menu settings

Being happy with what you have is a good place to be.

I doubt very much if there is anyone that uses all the features that a camera has to offer, not even pros, but getting out exactly what you want from it is all that one can ask.
Spot on (y)

I really like the fold out screen on my G12 and would use the camera more, but it's picked up a scratch on the front element so is pretty useless against the light. :(
Also have an EOS M, and sometimes use the touch screen focusing. Very handy for macro and video.

Seriously considered the 70D (my daughter has a 60D) but decided on a 7DII. The extra features and improved sensor on the 80D, make it a strong contender.

I don't think there is a clear winner, the 7DII and 80D are both very capable cameras..

So I am now another in the same predicament, I wish there was a mk3 definitely on the way but no obvious sign of that at the moment. hmm I love the solid nature of the 7D ii and sure it would work well, but I also like the idea of the screen on the 80D, either will feel great compared to my 20D

I changed a 550D for a 7Dmkii and I’ve never regretted it. But then previously I had 1D’s so the 550D always felt a bit insubstantial!

I changed a 550D for a 7Dmkii and I’ve never regretted it. But then previously I had 1D’s so the 550D always felt a bit insubstantial!

I bet the 550D felt rather lacking next to a 1D, glad you are pleased with the 7Dmkii - how do you feel the 7D compares to the older pro cameras you had?

Given they were 1D mki’s there’s no comparison other than build quality. Having given up working for a football team I couldn’t justify the investment and weight of a couple of 1D’s, 28-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 just for fun!

Last edited:
FWIW.

I have owned both and in truth I found the 7D2 to be the better.
For the type of stuff I do, the weather sealing, higher frame rate and in my opinion better af system won out in the end.

For all of the above I now use a 1dx2 but would love a 7d2 as a second camera.

It's horses for courses at the end of the day and I doubt if there is much difference in final image quality.

Last edited:
@Snapdragon, thanks for that. I think in my head the 7Dii is winning out really, I want something where if I am on the beach I am not constantly petrified if it getting a little wet etc as I get that photo I want.

I own both and prefer the 80d internals but the 7d2 body.

The 80d is better for many things, it is newer tech. I love the tilting touchscreen, not just for low down shots but tilting from the glare of the sun etc.. Touchscreen for focus is good too. I almost always have the screen on live view now. The joystick isn't an issue on the 80d for me because I'm happy to use the wheel to move focus points. It matches the focus of the 7d2 but a couple with less fps. I prefer the shots from it for landscapes, cleaner and better with shadows. Cant comment on video because it just doesn't interest me.

My 7d2 now has a 400mm permanently stuck to it and the 80d covers most other things. The 80d has almost replaced my 6d too.

If you want a wildlife camera and a better build, 7d2. For most other general use I'd try the 80d and spend the savings on a lens!

Ideally the 7d3 will be an 80d on steroids with an all metal body but knowing canon it'll just be a 7d2 with touchscreen and a half metal body with poorer iso performance but they'll chuck in wifi.

@bumper It is hard to disagree with what you are saying and having just looked on the Wex website that brings me back to now saying the 80D is a fantastic camera still, will do a lot for me and I can cope with the slightly lower frame rate. I do a little work with wildlife but not a lot, much as I would like to be doing that. Very interesting that the 80D is good enough to rival your 6D though, part of me wants full frame but I have some nice crop lenses and dont do a lot of low light work.

I wish that 7d3 announcement was made, then it would really help the decision on wait/buy etc - sort of considering waiting till the summer for an announcement.

Back