Canon advice!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Okayy, so I suppose this may end up being quite close to a 'which camera should I buy thread'..

..hopefully you're still reading..

Anyway, basically I went in 3 weeks ago set on buying a Canon 1000D so I had a feel of that, the 450D and the 40D. Now, my initial thoughts were that the 40D was too chunky..although I didn't really get much of a hold but after using a 450D to do some shots the other day I really liked it. Now, I was speaking to another person I know who suggested that the 40D may be a better investment. It is at the top end of my budget.
So I was thinking, since, in about a year and a half I'll be at university and money maybe short that I should invest now in the 40D, to save me "growing out" of the others.

I'm going to it try them out again tomorrow, focussing on the 40D. The only trouble I think I'll have is weight/size. I've used a 300D and that was a little chunky - but if anyone could give me an idea of how difficult it may be to carry around that'd be great. I'm just curious you see.

What would be your views on the weight issue and on the 'growing out of' issue?

Sorry for the essay! :bonk:
Many thanks

I have the 30D, that's pretty much the same size as the 40D.

It's a perfect fit for me, the 350D I did have was a little small for me if that makes sense.

Also, if you can afford a 40D over a 450D... 40D all the way!

A bigger camera is somtimes needed to add balance as well, i find it easier to keep a heavier camera steady than a lighter one.

personally think you may have answered a lot of the questions yourself, size and handling.... it is no good getting something that you feel unable to carry around due to its size

i had a 350d great little camera....little being the problem, for me to small when handling and the shortcut buttons on the rear were allways being activated by my face, noticably the button which would activate the timer release very frustrating,

i upgraded to the 40d and have never regretted it, go back and play with the 40d longer see if it feels different second time around

best of luck with your final choice

I would recomend the 40D, I have 2 and often lug them both around together, not been a problem, used the 350D as my first SLR and if I put my current lens line up on it it is unballanced to me, but the main issue is wether you are comftable carring the 40D, and you are best placed to anwser that. :)

Yeah, I suppose so!
True, if it feels too big, I'd probably be better off with the 450D then even if the spec isn't so good. I'd rather have something I'm happy with using/carrying around than something which is better but won't get used as much!

Thanks a lot everyone - most active forum I've been on for a long time.
Cheers
:D

a while back i had to try and pick between a few diffrent cams i went with what felt best to me i have the 450d and suits all my needs good luck. like people have already said play around handle it as much as you can got to be sure before you hand over you cash.

good luck

Small cameras always feel good in the shop, but its when you're out in the real world in the cold or damp using them that you really appreciate the chunkiness of the 30D/40D/50D and the dial on the back is worth the upgrade alone almost!

Small cameras always feel good in the shop, but its when you're out in the real world in the cold or damp using them that you really appreciate the chunkiness of the 30D/40D/50D and the dial on the back is worth the upgrade alone almost!

very true, the dial is v good when you get used to it

True, that's a good point. I can imagine it being a fairly arduos task fiddling with buttons on a smaller camera while wearing gloves or whatever! Living in the UK, in particular Scotland, means that it can very often be cold and/or damp! :LOL:
I'll take that into account though, thank you!

The 40d has a lot of stuff the 450 doesn't have, faster frame rate, a lot of custom settings etc, it's also sturdy tough workhorse, the 450 was intended as an entry level when new. I suspect a few years down the line you'll regret not getting the 40d if you go for the 1000 or 450. Wayne

Hi

I upgraded from a 300D (my daughter now uses and loves it) to a 40D and have no regrets at all - you very easily forget about the difference in size etc.

If you can stretch to it, I would def recommend (y)

The 40 is on paper at least, the better camera.

However, what is right for YOU is what feels right to you. If you're sure the 40D is too big, then go for the 450D - it's still a fabulous camera, and if the small size means you get more use out of it, then that in turn means it's without doubt the right choice.

Cheers,
James

Hi

I upgraded from a 300D (my daughter now uses and loves it) to a 40D and have no regrets at all - you very easily forget about the difference in size etc.

If you can stretch to it, I would def recommend (y)

Is it THAT much bigger? Or as you said, it's not so much of a difference that you forgot about it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow! :D

Is it THAT much bigger? Or as you said, it's not so much of a difference that you forgot about it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow! :D

No not THAT much difference :LOL:

I found the 300D fine, but actually prefer the feel of the 40D

Good luck tomorrow, go spend your money (y)

no its a dream to hold and use (y)(y)

The 40 is on paper at least, the better camera.

However, what is right for YOU is what feels right to you. If you're sure the 40D is too big, then go for the 450D - it's still a fabulous camera, and if the small size means you get more use out of it, then that in turn means it's without doubt the right choice.

Cheers,
James

Totally agree with James - it also depends what your aspirations are...do you want it to replace a point and shoot with a little more control? do you think it might be something you might be interested in,? are you desperate to get into photography properly? do you hope to do it professionally?

My first slr was the 400d - a fab camera! I upgraded to a 5d2 after 12 months but only because i am 100% sure that i want to (eventually) do it professionally.

Only you know what you hope to do with it!

Anna

PS when i got my 400d it felt heavy to me, my 5d2 felt really heavy to me...know the 5d feels normal and the 400d like a toy!:)

Back