Canon AE1-P or Nikon FM2

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

I have just sold my eos 300 film camera and I would like to go more old school. I am considering buying ae1-p or nikon fm2. I know the price for fm2 costs a bit more, so what is the benefit of fm2 that ae1 doesn't have?

Any help?

Cheers

I'd download the manuals for the FM2 and AE-1 program and compare them.

FWIW, the FM2 is more robust and better screwed together - the AE-1 was pretty much a entry-level camera at the time, and is a little prone to shutter problems (the infamous "Canon Cough"). The FM2 is quite a bit more expensive though, and the lenses are far more expensive than the comparable Canon FD lenses, by virtue of the fact that they also fit modern Nikon cameras, whereas Canon abandoned the FD when it went over to the EF range. So - the Nikon's great if you're already a Nikon Digital user, but if you don't already have the glass, it's going to cost a hell of a lot more money than the Canon AE-1 program and a couple of FD lenses. Actually, a more representative showing from the Canon camp would be the Canon F1n :shrug:

Last edited:
*****and I would like to go more old school****

Well I think in reverse and want the camera to do more of the work while I concentrate on taking pictures ;)
Not much to add other than for an older, cheaper, camera the Minolta SRTs and Canon FTBs are worth considering, the only problem with these though is they take old mercury batteries for the meter.......but owning the FM2 or FM2n would be nice and a VG resale investment.

a mint Canon A1 went on eBay days ago - with new seals and a guarantee of ''no cough'' for £89

others will now say they paid £18...............haha

looking at the pics it was BNIB...!!

a 28mm, a 50mm and a zoom wont break the bank either in FDn lenses

a mint Canon A1 went on eBay days ago - with new seals and a guarantee of ''no cough'' for £89

others will now say they paid £18...............haha

looking at the pics it was BNIB...!!

a 28mm, a 50mm and a zoom wont break the bank either in FDn lenses

Huh £89 for an A series camera? I'd rather get a T90 body.

Huh £89 for an A series camera? I'd rather get a T90 body.

We know you would Brian, you've said so repeatedly. Personally, If I was going to carry something that size, and with that degree of automation, I'll go the whole hog and take the EOS-3, and get AF and access to all my lovely L glass into the bargain.

However, the OP has just sold up a EOS series film camera, and expressed a wish to get back to an old school system - quoting the Nikon FM2 and or AE-1 Prog. as potential targets.

So, while I think it's legitimate to say that the AE-1p is a little outgunned in the comparison, and a suggestion of the A-1 or F1n as potential replacements are appropriate, suggesting the tank - basically a manual focus EOS for FD lenses isn't really :shrug: I'm not saying it's not a good camera - and should anything happen to my A-1 (cough, cough), I may well consider one as a way to get some use out of the big box of FD lenses - though again I'd probably go old-school myself and get a F1.

However, the OP has just sold up a EOS series film camera, and expressed a wish to get back to an old school system - quoting the Nikon FM2 and or AE-1 Prog. as potential targets.

So, while I think it's legitimate to say that the AE-1p is a little outgunned in the comparison, and a suggestion of the A-1 or F1n as potential replacements are appropriate, suggesting the tank - basically a manual focus EOS for FD lenses isn't really :shrug: I'm not saying it's not a good camera - and should anything happen to my A-1 (cough, cough), I may well consider one as a way to get some use out of the big box of FD lenses - though again I'd probably go old-school myself and get a F1.

erm so what's "more old school" about an A1 :shrug: ..it's just a smaller, inferior, camera to a T90, now if the AT1 was mentioned....... and if you had a poll which one would the filmies prefer for the same price of £89....A1 or T90. Anyway I've already posted the FM2 is nice, or cheaper alternative the SRT or FTb.
...and off topic:- except for the A1 I'd rather use a T70 than the other A models and you can pick it up for peanuts.

erm so what's "more old school" about an A1 :shrug: ..it's just a smaller, inferior, camera to a T90, now if the AT1 was mentioned....... and if you had a poll which one would the filmies prefer for the same price of £89....A1 or T90. Anyway I've already posted the FM2 is nice, or cheaper alternative the SRT or FTb.
...and off topic:- except for the A1 I'd rather use a T70 than the other A models and you can pick it up for peanuts.

For me, a lot of the "old school" appeal, is that the controls are set via dials rather than buttons and a led screen on the top panel. :shrug:

God Brian, the T90 is a truly hateful hateful object, nobody with an ounce of soul or shred of style would choose that Blake 7 extra over an A1 in a million years..:LOL:

and that from a "to the death" Nikon man..:cool:

For me, a lot of the "old school" appeal, is that the controls are set via dials rather than buttons and a led screen on the top panel. :shrug:

...and underneath the dials on the A1 a mini computer and flexible circuit boards plus LEDs....that need battery power ;)

God Brian, the T90 is a truly hateful hateful object, nobody with an ounce of soul or shred of style would choose that Blake 7 extra over an A1 in a million years..:LOL:

and that from a "to the death" Nikon man..:cool:

:LOL: Well would agree the T90 is on the borderline for good looks, but it matches my face.

If you want something more 'old-school' and will look further a field, how about the Pentax Spotmatic? nice traditional slr, mechanical shutter, the metering is the only electrical part (unless you get an ESII with computerised shutter release mode). The Super Takumar lenses are pretty good and reasonably priced.

worth a thought??

Back