Canon announce new 300 & 400f2.8L IS mk2

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
This should interest any Canon sports shooters looking to replace/add to their lens range. Should also raise an eyebrow (or two) especially with the big changes to Nikon that have happened over the past few months.

Announcement here: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/Canon_reveals_L-series_super-telephoto_lenses.do

Checkout prices for 300f2.8 here: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-300mm-f2-8-l-is-ii-usm-lens/p1522209

And 400mm here: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-400mm-f2-8-l-is-ii-usm-lens/p1522210

Sorry mods I know its equipment but thought it of interest to Talk Sport section too!

Jesus Christ, those prices are amazing.

you beat me to it and i had stronger words to use
they are both double the price of the mk1s.
what planet are canon living on.
the 400L costsmore than the huge 800mm.
and 4 grand more than the 600mm f4. for what 1 stop.
with the super iso range now id rather crank it up and have the extra reach.
not that i can afford any of them, but come on.
and wait till vat goes up

:eek:

Canon have lost their minds!

Those prices would have to drop 50% for anyone to seriously consider them

I mentioned in the thread I started that WEX had the new 70-200 at £2799 as soon as Canon announced it but by the time it shipped it was about £2499 and is now down at £1994.

WEX always seem to put new "stuff" at list on a pre-order status, then reduce the price depending on what other sites are offering it at.

So the beauty of the interwebz is that we have a record of the starting price. I bet it drops quite considerably even before it is released.

After that it's supply and demand. Having said that I bet it stays at least £1.5K to £2K above the current model for a minimum of a year.

Yeah, pre-order prices are a goldmine for people like WEX...there's bound to be someone out there thats bought one/pre-ordered one because they have to have it as soon as it comes out.

I'm just hoping my employers can sort one out for us all to try...that would be nice.

Still don't see it as anything worthy of buying a new one though.

It is going to be really interesting to see reviews of these new beasts in the hands of real world sports shooters like James (when you get one to try out that is).

Also to see if the new extenders are improved.

When the prices get realistic and people like James need to replace old/broken kit I'm sure that the Mk IIs will become main stream.

(as per my post just now about portrait shooting) I should be getting the original 300mm F2.8 (non IS) next week, which will put me 2 generations behind. At least my second hand 1D Mk III is only 1 generation behind LOL.

It is going to be really interesting to see reviews of these new beasts in the hands of real world sports shooters like James (when you get one to try out that is).

Also to see if the new extenders are improved.

When the prices get realistic and people like James need to replace old/broken kit I'm sure that the Mk IIs will become main stream.

(as per my post just now about portrait shooting) I should be getting the original 300mm F2.8 (non IS) next week, which will put me 2 generations behind. At least my second hand 1D Mk III is only 1 generation behind LOL.

Actually, having read some more details from CPS the new IS mode 3 could be interesting...it doesn't spin up the IS system until you press the shutter fully so it could be worth a go at the football.

I also realised that the 24L f/1.4 II was the first to use this new SWC coating, and comparing test shots between the 24 mkII and the 24 mkI there is a lot of difference in Chromatic Abberation, flare and ghosting...for the better.

Realistically, the first chance I'll get is possibly the International Rugby in the Autumn...there were some mkIVs floating around there last year, and I'll speak to the boss and see what we can arrange! Think he'll probably want to try it first though!

Last edited:
Actually, having read some more details from CPS the new IS mode 3 could be interesting...it doesn't spin up the IS system until you press the shutter fully so it could be worth a go at the football.

How do you work thsat out James, surely shooting any field sports youre never going to drop your shutter speed low enough to warrant the use of any anti shake system.

How do you work thsat out James, surely shooting any field sports youre never going to drop your shutter speed low enough to warrant the use of any anti shake system.

Hmmmm true...what needs to happen is for the players to stop moving so fast. Or for Canon to come up with some amazing system that somehow minimizes motion blur.

Sorry mate, i know im a real pain.

It's OK...it's natural the Nikon shooters will feel left out on a day like today.

Go to B&Q, buy a piece of drainpipe and a gold pen and write on it

NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8 G ED-IF AF-S VR-II.

You won't feel so left out then. :razz::D:LOL:

Ooh James you have a cruel streak....

It's OK...it's natural the Nikon shooters will feel left out on a day like today.

Go to B&Q, buy a piece of drainpipe and a gold pen and write on it

NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8 G ED-IF AF-S VR-II.

You won't feel so left out then. :razz::D:LOL:
I would but i dont need one, the low light capabilities of my D3S allows me to have the 1.4x on all the time up to ISO 8000 :D

I would but i dont need one, the low light capabilities of my D3S allows me to have the 1.4x on all the time up to ISO 8000 :D

If you're not careful you'll end up with a D3s somewhere so dark it'll need more than ISO 8000. :eek::p

If you're not careful you'll end up with a D3s somewhere so dark it'll need more than ISO 8000. :eek::p
:LOL::LOL::LOL: I can always go up to ISO 25,600

25600.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I think he should have tidied the sofa before taking the shot. My wife would have given me hell for posting that shot!:nono::nono::nono:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jessops are offering 6 month interest free on the 400mm f/2.8 :LOL: thats only £1900 a month

LOL id love to see jessops have that in stock
Have you got the new canon 400 2.8 in stock
Hmmmm no. but we can try and order it for you.

Back