Canon announces EOS 7D ***Official Discussion thread***

Admin

Admin
Edit My Images
No
Canon has announced the EOS 7D, a 17.92 million image pixel digital SLR that fires at up to 8fps, sports newly-developed 19-point AF and 63-zone metering systems, a dual-axis electronic level, wireless TTL control via the built-in flash and 1080p video in a body whose controls are more configurable than any EOS camera to date. The EOS 7D is Canon's most ambitious new digital SLR in some time, and is clearly meant to attract professional photographers as well as compete directly with Nikon's D300 and D300s in both features and price. We have first impressions, sample photos and more.

Newsfeed courtesy of RobGalbraith : Click for more...

That looks amazing, shouldn't have just bought a 40D!! It would be funny if the af is faster than the 1d mkIII.

price wise that seems quite reasonable for the spec?

Except when you see:

$1699
£1699

£1045 at today's rates....that £650 difference buys you a 50D kit FFS.

The spec looks very good but I'm far from convinced of the need for an 18MP APS-C sensor.

Except when you see:

$1699
£1699

£1045 at today's rates....that £650 difference buys you a 50D kit FFS.

The spec looks very good but I'm far from convinced of the need for an 18MP APS-C sensor.

Didn't see the USA price. Usual gorging.

Relative to the D300s price wise seems pretty decent.

Although I wouldn't pay that for an APS-C personally.

I've been hanging out for a 1DIV but think this may be an alternative (I could get two of these for the price of a 1DIV I reckon)

Yes, RRP is £1699 but it will drop (5DII is £2690 and retails for about £1926 at Park Cameras) so this suggests a long run price of about £1200 (what I said in the "speculation" thread yesterday)

I want to see some more images from people using it in anger in the field but it looks pretty impressive to me.

Pro spec crop camera with a cropped sensor. 1DIV is going to have to be pretty impressive to justify the price tag it will command.

Also, the main UK retailers will try and retain list price whilst they are in short supply. Its the only time they make decent margin on camera bodies. They will bundle rather than discount to start with (Park are offering spare battery and 8Gb UDMA card instead of discount)

This would be a lovely body for my sports photography, but can't justify spending that much, when a 50D is half the price, and does not differ much.

£1600 is a silly price. Knock £600 off and I might be tempted.

This would be a lovely body for my sports photography, but can't justify spending that much, when a 50D is half the price, and does not differ much.

£1600 is a silly price. Knock £600 off and I might be tempted.

It won't be £1600 for long - that is SRP. Give it time. 50D SRP is £1370!

I think it differs a lot in that it has

1. Weather sealing
2. Vastly enhanced AF
3. 100% viewfinder

All things you had to buy a 1-series for until today.

Shame the rumoured dual cards didn't make it through

4. wireless TTL(y)
5. 8fps
6. hd video

as soon as it hits 1k in a few months i'm ordering one

drew

We havent received the official pricing yet but once we do ill be able to give you a better Pre Order price than the £1699.

I doubt it will be £1000 though ;).

Stuart

In the future, when I have the cash, I was looking to go for a 1D Mk III, but now, the 7D might be the cheaper (and frankly newer and better) option.

Could sell the 50D for say £700 ish, then find £300 cash - That is if Stuart is right in saying less than £1k :p

4. wireless TTL(y)
5. 8fps
6. hd video

as soon as it hits 1k in a few months i'm ordering one

drew

I decided not to say video in case the nay-sayers got agitated. I still think video is the next big thing and could well help me to decide.

I have an ST-E2 so wireless TTL less exciting but could be a great toy in the right hands...

I'm still torn on this one. Been waiting for a 1DIV but this is so much cheaper and most of the way there (assuming the images are good)

Currently minded to get one in a while and keep the 1DsII as well.

High speed crop and low(er) speed full frame could be stunning.

:) paul - is the 1dIV still on the cards? i know it was mentioned to try and release a new 1 series for the winter olympics but wondering as this (7D) has got improved AF and faster fps, do you think they're going to aim this one for that instead and delay the 1dIV? :thinking:

drew

Back