canon cashback off kerso

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
was wondering if canon cashback is still available when buying off kerso
i did do a search and noticed a lot of people saying it was fine, but wondering if anyone got it recently
was thinking of ordering the new 70-200 mk 2
it as £200 cash back

i'd like to know this too as i'm considering the 70-200 Mk II also.
The link you've posted is just the trader Sales page!
Is there an email for Kerso?

Yes I know, why not post in his thread or PM him?! The link takes you to his thread from there you can either post or PM.

Last edited:
I've contacted him via his web site
When he gets back go me ill let you know

I contacted Ian last week this was the question, and his answer

Hi, can the latest canon cashback offer of £200 be claimed back on this lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom lens thankyou
regards Andy.

Yes you should be able too. Its only cameras that Canon have refused up until now. Ian.

hope this helps anybody

I contacted Ian last week this was the question, and his answer

Hi, can the latest canon cashback offer of £200 be claimed back on this lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom lens thankyou
regards Andy.

Yes you should be able too. Its only cameras that Canon have refused up until now. Ian.

hope this helps anybody

I'd rather hear from someone that has successfully claimed the cashback from Ian before buying.
"You should be able to" doesn't sound like a definate "YES", more like a maybe to me!

I'd rather hear from someone that has successfully claimed the cashback from Ian before buying.
"You should be able to" doesn't sound like a definate "YES", more like a maybe to me!

Vertigo1 had his claim accepted in the Canon Soring Cashback - search on here for the "upcoming Canon Spring Cashback" and you'll be able to read more.

I've claimed cash back using a receipt from Kerso for a 600D, my 24-105 and another lens but I'm not sure which one.

I had a little fight over the 600D, but being a CPS member with quite a bit of kit possibly worked in my favour.

I've claimed cash back using a receipt from Kerso for a 600D, my 24-105 and another lens but I'm not sure which one.

I had a little fight over the 600D, but being a CPS member with quite a bit of kit possibly worked in my favour.

Hi Byker28i
how long ago did you claim?
I claimed for my 5D Mk3 in the last spring cashback offer but that was bought from a UK supplier.
Canon now ask for serial numbers which they didn't used to.
I'm generally concerned they've cracked down a lot more now.
I dont want to risk buying from Ian, then canon refusing my claim.
Can source the MK II f2.8L IS from HK for between £1416 and £1458. HDEW for £1479, and Kerso for £1599.
If the cashback from him is a definate 'goer' that makes £1399 which is best price...decisions, decisions, lots to weigh up.

I think the official Canon answer is no, you can't. However it does seem the administration of the process is a little lax, and it's sometimes possible for a customer to sneak a grey serial number through.

Looking at the current T&CS:

1.4 All products must be purchased within the UK or ROI from a UK or ROI retailer and must have been supplied and distributed to retailers by Canon UK Ltd or Canon group companies located in the European Economic Area (EEA).

1.5 All products must be new and genuine Canon products. Purchases of second hand, refurbished or reconditioned products, or products which are counterfeit or infringe the intellectual property rights of the Canon group of companies in any way (for example, including but not limited to parallel or “grey” products) will not qualify under this promotion.

2.2. Claims must be submitted by fully and correctly completing (including specifying a valid EEA product serial number) a claim form online, at www.canon.co.uk/autumncashback or www.canon.ie/autumncashback.

Last edited:
Hi Byker28i
how long ago did you claim?
I claimed for my 5D Mk3 in the last spring cashback offer but that was bought from a UK supplier.
Canon now ask for serial numbers which they didn't used to.
I'm generally concerned they've cracked down a lot more now.
I dont want to risk buying from Ian, then canon refusing my claim.
Can source the MK II f2.8L IS from HK for between £1416 and £1458. HDEW for £1479, and Kerso for £1599.
If the cashback from him is a definate 'goer' that makes £1399 which is best price...decisions, decisions, lots to weigh up.

600d was Christmas 2011, claimed in jan/feb 2012
I bought my 5d mk3 from Ian too early for the cashback this time.

I emailed Canon and asked the status of Kerso for cash back.

This was their reply:
Thank you for contacting Canon,

We would like to advise you that in order to be eligible for the promotion all products must be purchased within the UK or ROI from a UK or ROI retailer and must have been supplied and distributed to retailers by Canon UK Ltd or Canon group companies located in the European Economic Area (EEA). Goods sourced from the USA are not eligible for this promotion.

For more information and in order to review all eligible stores please visit the following web page: http://www.canon.co.uk/Where_to_buy/ *

Anyone buying better hope they get an inept person at the processing centre who doesn't check serial numbers.

Sad it's stopped working for Ian he's a top bloke, but I guess that's the risk with the grey market, a real shame.

Edit: Just checking, did I read that wrong, were you saying you bought from Ian and the cashback failed or did you get in touch with Canon (despite knowing that US serials should not work) to ask specifically if his merchandise would be refused?

Last edited:
Vertigo1 had his claim accepted in the Canon Soring Cashback - search on here for the "upcoming Canon Spring Cashback" and you'll be able to read more.

I did indeed - £235 cashback during that promotion.

That's the third lens I've purchase from Ian and have successfully claimed cashback on all of them.

I think Canon are trying to crack down a bit and their latest terms, as quoted in this thread, do state that it's no longer enough to purchase from a UK retailer and receive a UK invoice, but that the retailer must have sourced the kit through Canon's UK distribution channel. What I don't know is whether this has been changed since the last promotion in May or not.

I think any claims will very probably be accepted but there's a small chance they won't, probably depending on who actually checks the claim and whether they bother checking the serial number or just take it at face value. My attitude was that Ian's prices were good enough that, even if the cashback was rejected, it wouldn't end up costing much more than a grey import from HK so I had nothing to lose really.

Edit: Just checking, did I read that wrong, were you saying you bought from Ian and the cashback failed or did you get in touch with Canon (despite knowing that US serials should not work) to ask specifically if his merchandise would be refused?

I emailed Canon and simply ask if stock sourced outside of the UK or EEA would be eligible for the cashback promotion, I didn't name Kerso or his website.

I asked if a UK Retailer sold a Canon 70-200 f2.8 II IS that had been imported from the USA, would they accept the UK receipt for cashback, even though the item was originally sourced from the USA.

Fair enough it's just the way you worded it it seemed as though you named him.

Lens arrived in astonishingly quick time (nice one Ian!), claim faxed to Canon, so sit back and see what happens.

We're all waiting with bated breath to see what happens
Hope it goes through ok
Then we can all bang our orders in
You are the new cash back guinea pig

I filed my claim in May online and got an approval confirmation the next day.

My claim for a 70-200 2.8 mark 2 from kerso went through no probs last time round.

I submitted a claim for a Speedlite 600EX-RT last week that I bought from Ian.

I got an email from Canon yesterday saying that it doesn't qualify because the product wasn't "intended for sale in Europe". I'm following up with them, because as far as I can tell it's definitely an EU product, because it's got a CE mark on both the flash and the packaging.

I suspect they don't want to pay out, but the reason they're giving is spurious and invalid, and I'm going to hound them till I get a better answer.

I submitted a claim for a Speedlite 600EX-RT last week that I bought from Ian.

I got an email from Canon yesterday saying that it doesn't qualify because the product wasn't "intended for sale in Europe". I'm following up with them, because as far as I can tell it's definitely an EU product, because it's got a CE mark on both the flash and the packaging.

I suspect they don't want to pay out, but the reason they're giving is spurious and invalid, and I'm going to hound them till I get a better answer.

The CE mark isn't what Canon are referring to, they are saying the product wasn't sent to a European retailer so it was intended for sale in a different market.

It is the official position with regard to Canon cashback on grey products. Most people are just lucky that the company that Canon use to process the cashback claims is lax. Unfortunately you got a processor doing their job properly.

Cheers Dave. That's what's annoying/confusing me though. Surely if it's got a CE mark then it was intended for sale in the EU. Otherwise why stamp it as such?

If it was for sale in the US, it wouldn't have a CE mark. I know what they're getting at. It's a genuine EU-spec product but because it didn't go via one of their "approved" retailers, they're fobbing me off by giving me a stock answer that it's not for sale in Europe, which I don't buy.

I'm going to keep pushing and see if I can get a proper answer out of them, but I doubt it.

Cheers Dave. That's what's annoying/confusing me though. Surely if it's got a CE mark then it was intended for sale in the EU. Otherwise why stamp it as such?

If it was for sale in the US, it wouldn't have a CE mark. I know what they're getting at. It's a genuine EU-spec product but because it didn't go via one of their "approved" retailers, they're fobbing me off by giving me a stock answer that it's not for sale in Europe, which I don't buy.

I'm going to keep pushing and see if I can get a proper answer out of them, but I doubt it.

The CE mark would be on every flash they sell, even if destined for non EU markets.

The terms of cash back do make the point about grey items.

1.4 All products must be purchased within the UK or ROI from a UK or ROI retailer and must have been supplied and distributed to retailers by Canon UK Ltd or Canon group companies located in the European Economic Area (EEA).

1.5 All products must be new and genuine Canon products. Purchases of second hand, refurbished or reconditioned products, or products which are counterfeit or infringe the intellectual property rights of the Canon group of companies in any way (for example, including but not limited to parallel or “grey” products) will not qualify under this promotion.

Yeah the CE mark will be on everything, just as stuff we buy here has the US FCC mark on it. As Dave1 said, I think it's just that officially we're not entitled to cashback on items bought via grey import but sometimes you'll get lucky and the claim will slip through.

the same happened to me in the spring cashback, had the initial email from Canon saying not valid, a week or so later they sent another saying it had gone through without any further chasing from.

Just received my 70-200 f2.8 mkii today and claimed and have just been emailed to say its been declined.

Just received my 70-200 f2.8 mkii today and claimed and have just been emailed to say its been declined.

(Bad) luck of the draw, I suppose. It was inevitable that Canon would eventually catch up with cashback claims on kit that wasnt actually eligible.

I had a bad experience with Kerso, regarding Canon Cashback...

I bought him a 17-40. But, before I did it, I sent him an e-mail asking how much would the lens cost, including shipping to Portugal. He answerd me the price. I couldn't decide if I should buy new or used. By this time, I didn't even knew there was a Canon Cashback "active".

When I first read about it, I read that only gear bought in (or from?) the UK was eligible to receive the cashback.
I then asked Ian if, in case I bought the lens from him, I could receive Canon Cashback. He said yes, no problem.
Good news to me!, and I bought the lens.

A few days later, when I received it, I went to Canons website to give my purchase details in order to receive the cashback (£80) and then I realize that I couldn't do it because I was not from the UK.
My fault, I know, I could have read better. But I also know (or at least I think!) that Ian could (should?) had alerted me, because he knew I'm from Portugal and because it's hard to believe that a seller like him doesn't know Canons Cashback rules.

I admit that it was my fault but, like I said in the several e-mails and PM I sent to Ian, I consider he also had some responsibility in my £80 loss, so I asked him if there was something we could do to compensate it. I even told him I was willing to to buy another lens if he gave my a good enough discount!

The worst part of it was that the vast majority of my messages didn't even got an answer, and the ones that got it suggested that he doesn't know the rules and that it's now his responsibility to know them and that I should have worried with it myself, before purchasing.
It was not a pretty thing to do. He could, at least, try to explain it but...
I lost £80 and he lost a customer... :shake:

Back