Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

Tempted to trade in my 70-200 f/2.8, but I know i'd miss the 2.8.... plus it looks different to the 70-200 and the Mrs would spot it straight away if it somehow managed to magically appear in the house again.....
It doesn't look that different - same size, same shape, same colour. Remember, if she only ever sees one big white lens at any one time, then there is only one big white lens.

I have just bitten the bullet and am waiting for the courier to arrive with it now, as an upgrade from my Mk1 (now sold, went in three hours to my amazement!). Off to Gigrin tomorrow to try it out [emoji3]

Don't think Canon will be selling many 200-400s now, bang for buck this lens is just superb!

George.

I have been using this lens in 'anger' for the first time over the last couple of weeks, having chopped in my Mk. I for perhaps the only secondhand example to have passed through the TP classifieds (thank you @canon_togger)

Negatives: I walk a lot (several miles on most outings) and I most certainly do notice the additional weight vs. the Mk. I. Also...and I am sure this will be a very temporary thing....I struggled to adjust the zoom as quickly as I needed to on a couple of occasions using the 'rotate' ring on the Mk. II having spent 8 years pushing and pulling with the Mk I.

Positives: massively outweigh the negatives! Image quality is wonderful - especially at 400mm - and focusing is lightening fast. For those of you who don't routinely visit the birding forum, here are a few images:

Female Osprey:

2R4C4364 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C4399 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C4382 by Whyone, on Flickr

Juvenile Roseate Spoonbill and Tricolor Heron:

2R4C5810 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C5807 by Whyone, on Flickr

Tricolour Heron:

2R4C5823 by Whyone, on Flickr

Spoonbills:
2R4C5037 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C4207 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C4217 by Whyone, on Flickr

Last edited:
Has anyone been using this lens with a 1.4 x or 2 x converter. Which is best? Used with a 5d mk3.

Last edited:
Has anyone been using this lens with a 1.4 x or 2 x converter. Which is best?
If you want autofocus with a 5D Mk II or 7D: neither.
If you want image quality: 1.4x.
If you want reach: 2x.

Over to you to define "best".

With the 5D3 AF will only work with x1.4, manual focus only if you use the x2 and with the x1.4 it the centre point with expansion AF points is selected automatically.

I have the x1.4 but have yet to use it comprehensively, my initial impression is that you need good light for the AF to work well though as it is a tad slower responding compared to no tc plus remember wide open is f8 so stopping down a bit needs experimenting with.

With the 5D3 AF will only work with x1.4, manual focus only if you use the x2 and with the x1.4 it the centre point with expansion AF points is selected automatically.

I have the x1.4 but have yet to use it comprehensively, my initial impression is that you need good light for the AF to work well though as it is a tad slower responding compared to no tc plus remember wide open is f8 so stopping down a bit needs experimenting with.
Thanks for that. Off to India for a tiger safari next year so light and centre point after should be ok. I'm thinking manual focus using the 2x could lead to missing some shots.

Thanks for that. Off to India for a tiger safari next year so light and centre point after should be ok. I'm thinking manual focus using the 2x could lead to missing some shots.

I would love to do a few tiger safari but as for light I was under the impression that those wonderful biv cats were forest/jungle dwellers therefore light though strong would be dappled with dense shade.. I suggest you check with the organisers & guides???

Been to India to Bandhavgarh (in fact I'm off again in 4 weeks) and I'd suspect you won't need an extender very often, I just checked my EXIFs from the last trip in 2011 and in fact the majority of my shots were taken with a 1 Ds mk3 and a 70-200 2.8....generally at the long end.

I also had with me a 7D mk1 with a 300 2.8 so effectively 480mm.

If t's Bandhavgarh you're going to, you'll generally be shooting in reasonable to harsh light, early start then back for breakfast, the parks are closed during late morning till mid afternoon as the beasts generally snooze then and it's hot and uncomfortable to travel anyway!...and you go back in about 4 iso till dusk, and then you must be out by a certain time or heavy fines are imposed on the drivers.

I presume you'll have a 2nd body?....it's very dusty and you won't want to change lenses unless it's really necessary, and do take a couple of old pillowcases for storing the cameras with lens attached when they're not in use.

I'd be very happy to discuss things in more detail by phone, if you want that please just pm me.

FYI this time I'm taking the 100-400 mk2 on the 1 Dx and will have a 400DO mk2 on a 1D4 (and a x1.4 for that if really necessary).

Things have changed in the last couple of years, they no longer do the elephant rides I gather, which is a great pity as you could get great shots and also get closer to the action as now you can only stay on the roads, and some parks have strict route guidance.

Great trip though, you'll really enjoy it and I hope you get some good sightings!!

George.

PS and take a monopod for use in the jeep, v. useful!

Last edited:
Cheers George

Visiting the Ranthambhore National Park sounds like my trip will work similar to yours with the timings.

I have a 7d mk1 as a second body which I’m taking with a 70-200 or a 24-105, good tip on the pillow case, never thought about a monopod for use in the jeep thou.

Cheers George

Visiting the Ranthambhore National Park sounds like my trip will work similar to yours with the timings.

I have a 7d mk1 as a second body which I’m taking with a 70-200 or a 24-105, good tip on the pillow case, never thought about a monopod for use in the jeep thou.

Hi Trevor,yea, a tripod is rather bulky, in some jeeps you may be able also to use a bean bag, best to take out an empty one and fill it with local rice, saves carrying it on the flights!! Just pm if you need any more help.

George

ps and Ranthambore gets good reviews as well....when are you going?

pps....it's now possible to get an evisa which is cheaper and (slightly) less hassle than before, but can only be applied for 34 days before date of travel..again I'll give you the link if you don't have that info!!

Last edited:
Bean bags are supplied by the tour going April 8th 2016.
Have thought about the evisa just waiting for organiser to get back to me as she is sorting out the visa.

Has anyone been using this lens with a 1.4 x or 2 x converter. Which is best? Used with a 5d mk3.

....Yes, I use this lens with and without a Canon 1.4x III fairly equally. I only shoot wildlife and exclusively RAW format. I only have a 7D Mark II.

I find that image quality is surprisingly good and don't often feel limited by the f/8 max aperture as I shoot Auto ISO and Manual for aperture and speed. Sometimes I use MF and other times AF but the AF is noticeably slower with the 1.4x mounted. Canon advise against a 2x on this lens but the lens is optimised for their 1.4x if it's a Mark III Extender.

I use Back Button AF on SINGLE SHOT and the adjacent 'star' button with AF on AI-SERVO. I don't like using the 1.4x for inflight shots.

Shot at long distance with 1.4x III..........

Great Spotted Woodpecker

^ Click image to see more info on Flickr

Thank you Red Robin looking like a 1.4 is the way to go.

....Always glad to help. The 1.4x III is a useful option to have which easily fits into a pocket. But for wildlife one never has enough reach! :D

Remember, if she only ever sees one big white lens at any one time, then there is only one big white lens.

....Sounds exactly like the words of a Rolling Stones song where Jagger sings "(she) was practiced at the art of deception" - From the song 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.

Took delivery of mine today.

Happy.

Now just need to move the sigma 150-600mm on.

Happy.

Interested to know why are you're changing the Sigma Richard, and which one?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have 100-400 mk1, and i have 2 options:

1. Sell it and buy the Sigma 150-600
2. Keep 100-400 mk1

I may able to buy 100-400 II next year when i start to save money and sell mk1 first, but i never use those long lenses yet as i don't shoot wildlife or birds, even with sports i am fine with my 300 2.8, but in my mind as a future plan is to travel for safari one day, then i have to think about one of those long lenses no doubt, but who knows that time will will be available.

I have 100-400 mk1, and i have 2 options:

1. Sell it and buy the Sigma 150-600
2. Keep 100-400 mk1

I may able to buy 100-400 II next year when i start to save money and sell mk1 first, but i never use those long lenses yet as i don't shoot wildlife or birds, even with sports i am fine with my 300 2.8, but in my mind as a future plan is to travel for safari one day, then i have to think about one of those long lenses no doubt, but who knows that time will will be available.

....The Canon 300mm f/2.8L has an excellent reputation (as do most of the Canon L lenses) so why not buy a Canon 2x Extender? - Apparently they work really well together and depending on which body you use the compromise will be minimal.

I have had my Canon 100-400mm L II since February and it's extremely versatile and practical. The Sigma 150-600mm has a very good reputation too (better than the Tamron equivalent) but it is massive and very heavy.

I can strongly recommend buying the Canon 100-400mm II from HDEW. I recently dropped mine (don't ask!) and their help was outstanding, putting me in direct contact with Canon Approved Repair Centre A.J.Johnstone in Glasgow who turned it around together with my repaired 7D Mark II in 10 days including shipping. They put their technician in direct contact and kept me informed of progress and price. Everything was fully tested and recalibrated and cleaned. So, HDEW are a 'grey' importer - More like a very very pale grey! I approached Park Cameras (where I had bought the body) and their response was poor by comparison and they would have remained a go-between without me having any contact with the repairer - I would not have even known who the repairer was! I have now bought several Canon camera products from HDEW who have premises in the UK you can visit - It's just not a shop and doesn't carry much stock.

This is HDEW's current price for this lens....
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-100-400mm-f45-56l-is-ii-usm-2980-p.asp

There's a thread on the forum about HDEW and it goes back years - Check it out.

Happy.

....You will not be disappointed. I have had mine since February and occasionally mount a Canon 1.4x III (important to use mark III).

I'm curious why you want to move on and replace the Sigma 150-600mm because it has a good reputation even though massive and heavy.

....The Canon 300mm f/2.8L has an excellent reputation (as do most of the Canon L lenses) so why not buy a Canon 2x Extender? - Apparently they work really well together and depending on which body you use the compromise will be minimal.

I have had my Canon 100-400mm L II since February and it's extremely versatile and practical. The Sigma 150-600mm has a very good reputation too (better than the Tamron equivalent) but it is massive and very heavy.

I can strongly recommend buying the Canon 100-400mm II from HDEW. I recently dropped mine (don't ask!) and their help was outstanding, putting me in direct contact with Canon Approved Repair Centre A.J.Johnstone in Glasgow who turned it around together with my repaired 7D Mark II in 10 days including shipping. They put their technician in direct contact and kept me informed of progress and price. Everything was fully tested and recalibrated and cleaned. So, HDEW are a 'grey' importer - More like a very very pale grey! I approached Park Cameras (where I had bought the body) and their response was poor by comparison and they would have remained a go-between without me having any contact with the repairer - I would not have even known who the repairer was! I have now bought several Canon camera products from HDEW who have premises in the UK you can visit - It's just not a shop and doesn't carry much stock.

This is HDEW's current price for this lens....

There's a thread on the forum about HDEW and it goes back years - Check it out.

I have Canon 2xIII extender, it is just i feel the lens is very heavy to travel with, 100-400 is way lighter, but i think that Sigma 150-600 is as heavy as Canon 300 so i have to think again.

Also if i use that 2x with a crop factor body then i will lose AF, not sure if i will lose AF with a prime or it is only with the zoom, my 300 is mk1 not mkii?

Also if i use that 2x with a crop factor body then i will lose AF, not sure if i will lose AF with a prime or it is only with the zoom, my 300 is mk1 not mkii?
When considering using an extender, AF capability depends on the aperture. It doesn't matter whether the lens is a prime or a zoom.

Most Canon cameras will only AF if the lens (or lens+extender) has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or better. So if you put a 2x extender on an f/2.8 lens it will AF; put it on a slower lens and it won't.

Some high-end cameras (1D series, 5D Mk III, 7D Mk II) will still be able to AF if the lens (or lens+extender) has a maximum aperture of f/8 or better. So if you put a 2x extender on an f/4 lens it will AF; put it on a slower lens and it won't.

When considering using an extender, AF capability depends on the aperture. It doesn't matter whether the lens is a prime or a zoom.

Most Canon cameras will only AF if the lens (or lens+extender) has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or better. So if you put a 2x extender on an f/2.8 lens it will AF; put it on a slower lens and it won't.

Some high-end cameras (1D series, 5D Mk III, 7D Mk II) will still be able to AF if the lens (or lens+extender) has a maximum aperture of f/8 or better. So if you put a 2x extender on an f/4 lens it will AF; put it on a slower lens and it won't.

Ok, clear enough, thank you very much

Interested to know why are you're changing the Sigma Richard, and which one?

Cheers.

I have the Contemporary version, the rest of my answer is below

....You will not be disappointed. I have had mine since February and occasionally mount a Canon 1.4x III (important to use mark III).

I'm curious why you want to move on and replace the Sigma 150-600mm because it has a good reputation even though massive and heavy.

The 'massive' part of that is the main reason. When I go out just to shoot wildlife and other stuff that needs a tele that is absolutely fine (Indeed I am saving to facilitate purchase of a longer prime), but for various reasons a fair portion of my shooting at the moment is more day trips with my wife and/or friends. Taking the sigma is a bit more of a commitment and even non photo trips feel like they become one.

So there is no technical reason why I would make this move - the Sigma 150-600mm C is an utterly superb lens - but I'd rather own a lens I will take places more than one that I will choose to leave at home.

Last edited:
Well I'm taking the plunge at the 100-400mk2 so I'm gonna scout around to find a good deal. Can't wait

....I have absolutely no vested interest in HDEW when I strongly recommend you including them in your search for a good deal. I offer you this recommendation purely as a fellow photographer helping another TP member.

I bought my 100-400mm II from them in February, dropped and broke part of it recently and they were exemplary in helping me get it repaired by a fully approved Canon Service Centre although my accident meant it was not under warranty. I have bought a total of 3 genuine Canon products from them.

They are what is called a 'grey' importer but have premises in the UK which you can visit - It's just not a shop with lots of stock. I would more accurately describe them as very pale grey. There is a long thread on TP about HDEW buyer experiences and it's all good with rare instances of dissatisfaction only being with courier services.

EDIT: Oops! I now see that I have already recommended HDEW earlier in this thread. Oh well, no harm done :)

Last edited:
....I have absolutely no vested interest in HDEW when I strongly recommend you including them in your search for a good deal. I offer you this recommendation purely as a fellow photographer helping another TP member.

I bought my 100-400mm II from them in February, dropped and broke part of it recently and they were exemplary in helping me get it repaired by a fully approved Canon Service Centre although my accident meant it was not under warranty. I have bought a total of 3 genuine Canon products from them.

They are what is called a 'grey' importer but have premises in the UK which you can visit - It's just not a shop with lots of stock. I would more accurately describe them as very pale grey. There is a long thread on TP about HDEW buyer experiences and it's all good with rare instances of dissatisfaction only being with courier services.

EDIT: Oops! I now see that I have already recommended HDEW earlier in this thread. Oh well, no harm done :)
Well i will take a look but i know i can get a uk one for £1600 but will do some checking first.
Thanks cor your recommendation

If you don't mind, where did you purchase them from and the cost as I might just get myself an early Xmas present

Jessops. Paid £1935.14p Inc £273.90 off with kit lens traded in and I got hiya super proud filter :)

Reactions: zeb
Would this lens be ok on a 700D? Looking to upgrade the body after if it would be, but prefer to get this lens first as the lens can make a bigger difference to my images than upgrading the body can ?

Would this lens be ok on a 700D? Looking to upgrade the body after if it would be, but prefer to get this lens first as the lens can make a bigger difference to my images than upgrading the body can ?

Definitely.

I think I'm going to purchase one in the new year. I've never owned a lens longer than 200mm (full frame). I'm going to have to shift a few of my lesser used lenses to fund it but although I rarely use it anymore I'm finding it hard to part with my pretty much immaculate 24L II. :-(

Back