Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

I use an OE grip with 2 Canon batteries, but I noticed that the 1st battery is showing many more actuations than the 2nd, tried switching them and it's definitely favouring the 1st slot....anyone else looked at this?

George.

I use an OE grip with 2 Canon batteries, but I noticed that the 1st battery is showing many more actuations than the 2nd, tried switching them and it's definitely favouring the 1st slot....anyone else looked at this?

George.
Sorry, I don't what this has to do with the 100-400mm II...

OOOPS!! sorry, thanks Glenn, posted it in the wrong thread!!....thought I was in the 7D mk2 thread!!......my 100-400 doesn't have a grip either!!

Shoot the moon, Robin....always good for comparisons with tele-objectives.

Bob

....I was going to do some tripod mounted comparitive tests with and without a protective filter but have been far too busy so far. To be honest, I have other things to do including taking wildlife pics on a daily basis now the Dragonfly season has started.

However, since we discussed this subject a month ago, I have not been using a filter and have been shooting in rain and pollen atmospheres without any problems as some of you advised would be the case - The lens hood is very protective indeed. I made my decision prompted by discussion here but primarily because of what Canon have said about a filter not being necessary on this lens.

But when near the sea I am likely to mount my filter.

Last edited:
I have asked this before but have had no replies. Can anyone please help. Thanks.

I have lost my hood (Canon ET-83D) while travelling & a replacement is anything from about £48 to £55.
Do any of you guys know if there is a compatible alternative . . . for example would a Canon ET-83C fit? I do not need the sliding access door.

I have asked this before but have had no replies. Can anyone please help. Thanks.

I have lost my hood (Canon ET-83D) while travelling & a replacement is anything from about £48 to £55.
Do any of you guys know if there is a compatible alternative . . . for example would a Canon ET-83C fit? I do not need the sliding access door.

....Either contact Canon or one of their major retailers such as Wex Photographic and ask what might fit.

Quite honestly, you lost it so bite the bullet and simply buy a replacement for £50 or whatever it costs - Who will want to pay you your asking price when/if you come to sell the lens if it doesn't have the correct lens hood.

....Either contact Canon or one of their major retailers such as Wex Photographic and ask what might fit.
... or ask your friendly neighbourhood lens hire company, who happen to be right here on the forum.

I've just tried it and the ET-83C does fit. It doesn't click into place like the ET-83D does, but it does rotate into the locking position and it's very secure. I wouldn't have any qualms about using it on an occasional basis. However, it fits rather more snugly on the Mk II than it does on the Mk I, and if you put it on and take it off repeatedly you might induce wear on the hood and on the mounting ring. It's only plastic, after all.

I bought a 3rd party hood (for a different lens though) and despite all the pics etc it was just black plastic inside and not lined with black felt. Was of limited benefit without that lining.

I bought a 3rd party hood (for a different lens though) and despite all the pics etc it was just black plastic inside and not lined with black felt. Was of limited benefit without that lining.

....Buy cheap, buy twice. I don't understand someone who has paid at least £1,500 or even £1,000 on a lens and then is trying to save money on a lens hood for it which isn't specifically designed and built for it. Stiil, each to their own I suppose.

It was on a much cheaper lens but I agree and I did have to buy twice. Lesson learned. Hence my posting to hollis_f to avoid same pitfall.

Last edited:
... or ask your friendly neighbourhood lens hire company, who happen to be right here on the forum.

I've just tried it and the ET-83C does fit. It doesn't click into place like the ET-83D does, but it does rotate into the locking position and it's very secure. I wouldn't have any qualms about using it on an occasional basis. However, it fits rather more snugly on the Mk II than it does on the Mk I, and if you put it on and take it off repeatedly you might induce wear on the hood and on the mounting ring. It's only plastic, after all.

Many thanks . . . sounds good for my purposes.

Any one got the wildlife watching supplies neoprene cover on ?.
Opinions on it if you have ?.From the photo on Flickr it looks like a piece is now included for the zoom part.

Any one got the wildlife watching supplies neoprene cover on ?.
Opinions on it if you have ?.From the photo on Flickr it looks like a piece is now included for the zoom part.

....Do you have a link you can post for this product, please?

Flickr shot
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/66818101@N04/16088888819/

Also includes free 1.4 and 2x convertor covers

....Thanks, donetello :)

Personally, I wouldn't want to cover the lens sections which have controls - In theory you can get your fingers in but in practice it's a nuisance and I now only use covers on a lens hood. Also, being narrow, they slip on Extenders and are an even bigger encumbrance when wanting to quickly mount/unmount an Extender. So big thumbs-down from me!

However a cover on the zoom section (not covering the zoom grip!) might be okay.

OutdoorPhotographyGear supplied me with just a neoprene lens hood cover for my 100-400mm mk II and it even has an opening to operate the 'trap door' for polarising filter access.

Risked and ordered will see how it goes.

....Been there and done that and now have several lens cover sections in a draw and never to be used. I guess it's just a personal thing about how practical you find covering the whole lens.

I would be interested to covering the extending zoom section but don't see how that would work in 4mm neoprene.

You can buy rolls of self adhesive flocking material from astronomy sites to overcome that. It's useful stuff.

....Been there and done that and now have several lens cover sections in a draw and never to be used. I guess it's just a personal thing about how practical you find covering the whole lens.

I would be interested to covering the extending zoom section but don't see how that would work in 4mm neoprene.
Yes wondering on the zoom tube myself,only thought is it can only be fitted when it's being used at full 400mm only.ie can't close it up when it's in place.
Seen one on another site that uses a flimsy mesh gaitor that concertinas up.

Mine has no visible dust in it yet, but lately it's been so wet and miserable here in dear old Blighty, it would have mud inside, not dust..

Those are great - how did you find it tracking the puffins? My old mk I struggled on them, reverted to the 70-200 last time. Not had chance to put the mk ii against something as small and rapid as puffins yet.

Those are great - how did you find it tracking the puffins? My old mk I struggled on them, reverted to the 70-200 last time. Not had chance to put the mk ii against something as small and rapid as puffins yet.

Thanks both of you. The lens didnt have any problem with the puffins but i did keeping a single point on them as they were coming in. I don't track them in continuously, I tend to bump the AF every couple of seconds.

Superb set of images pal, love the eye contrast and colours on the subjects (y)

Thanks Joe.

I love these little birds. Not easy to photograph as they are so damn small. High FPS is almost a must for these, otherwise you're trusting to a bit of luck to get a nice wing position

Last edited:
Thanks Joe.

I love this little birds. Not easy to photograph as they are so damn small. High FPS is almost a must for these, otherwise you're trusting to a bit of luck to get a nice wing position

Yeah I can imagine pal, I'm heading off to the Farnes tomorrow until Wednesday, fingers crossed the weather holds out and I can get a bit of sun to photography them with!

Yeah I can imagine pal, I'm heading off to the Farnes tomorrow until Wednesday, fingers crossed the weather holds out and I can get a bit of sun to photography them with!

I spnt 2 nights on Skomer. Had some beautiful evening light. And after the day visitors had gone home it was superb.

I'm planning to spend a few days on Skomer next year simply for that reason, want to hopefully get some sunset images with Puffins in the foreground!

Its worth the journey Joe, although booking can be a bit awkward as workshops on the island in the peak feeding times are getting quite popular. Joining the Wildlife Trust Of South & West Wales gives you the chance to book a week before it opens to the general public but as its only £10 most of the pros running workshops join anyway.

Must admit I have my suspicions that these workshops are getting some sort of special treatment because they can fill up the 16 beds on the island, which isn't supposed to happen. They always seem to get the dates they advertise on their websites which, given that I spent 90 minutes just hitting redial when the booking office opened, just to get two nights anywhere in a 2 week block, is quite lucky really!!!

Rented one of these for RIAT this weekend...

I HATE it!

Seriously, For Airshows i've normally used my 70-200 f/2.8. THis used to be on my 40d and I upgraded to a 5dMkIII last year, the lack of crop on it made it difficluty to keep the aircraft on the focus spots I was after (not a kit issue, they were just too damn tiny), so for this year I decided to rent a longer lens.

Before my hit percentage was about 30% of the shots i'd be happy with (I wouldn't keep them all, but they were all correctly focused and exposed etc). If I've take 2k shots that woudl leave me with 600 or so to sort through (keeping 150 'ish for editing)

With this lens and my 1.4x II and 5DmkIII I reckon my hit percentage was around 80% and I took 4.5k shots! ARRRGHHHHHH! It's too bloody good!

Seriously though, it's an amazing bit of kit... Tested it out on Sunday with some Cricket shots and did some Macro with it on Friday and it's simply stunning.

Tempted to trade in my 70-200 f/2.8, but I know i'd miss the 2.8.... plus it looks different to the 70-200 and the Mrs would spot it straight away if it somehow managed to magically appear in the house again.....

Tempted to trade in my 70-200 f/2.8, but I know i'd miss the 2.8.... plus it looks different to the 70-200 and the Mrs would spot it straight away if it somehow managed to magically appear in the house again.....

Ha ha! I've done this many a time! You'd be amazed at how unobservant the wife can be when she isn't interested in something....

I HATE it!

Seriously, For Airshows i've normally used my 70-200 f/2.8. THis used to be on my 40d and I upgraded to a 5dMkIII last year, the lack of crop on it made it difficluty to keep the aircraft on the focus spots I was after (not a kit issue, they were just too damn tiny), so for this year I decided to rent a longer lens.

Before my hit percentage was about 30% of the shots i'd be happy with (I wouldn't keep them all, but they were all correctly focused and exposed etc). If I've take 2k shots that woudl leave me with 600 or so to sort through (keeping 150 'ish for editing)

With this lens and my 1.4x II and 5DmkIII I reckon my hit percentage was around 80% and I took 4.5k shots! ARRRGHHHHHH! It's too bloody good!

Seriously though, it's an amazing bit of kit... Tested it out on Sunday with some Cricket shots and did some Macro with it on Friday and it's simply stunning.

Yes its a lovely lens. Its become my go to lens at the moment. In fact I've not used my 500 f4 since I bought it.

Back