Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

Looks like it's out of stock at most people now, next shipment due in 2-4 weeks, I believe.

There is UK stock around George. grey seems to be more of an issue though

With the price differential, I'm not surprised, Gary!!

ive been watching them on grey. cheapest a few weeks ago was £1429, now its £1565, was expecting them to drop.

Im in no rush though, they will be £1300 in a few months.

Hdew phoned me today, I should receive mine on Friday! Where to head to at the weekend??

Hdew phoned me today, I should receive mine on Friday! Where to head to at the weekend??

....I can't see it on HDEW's website.

Are HDEW a grey supplier?

I got mine from a waiting list before they put them on the site, £1670. Yes they are Grey importers.
Panamoz was cheaper, but they have not had any stock for over a month. You can talk to HDEW no problem.

After reading the reviews I couldn't resist. I have ordered one to go with my new 7dmk2...looks like I'm gonna have to sell my 300 f4

Mine arrived today so jumped in the car and went 10mins down the road to Birmingham airport...must admit I'm impressed especially with my 7d2

Emirates Boeing 777 by smokeygoose, on Flickr

Straight off camera no PP :)

Last edited:
Mine is being delivered tomorrow by FedEx. I ordered it last Thursday via HDEW and saved £300.

Mine arrived today so jumped in the car and went 10mins down the road to Birmingham airport...must admit I'm impressed especially with my 7d2

That is very impressive without any PP, did you shoot it in RAW or jpg?

Emirates Boeing 777 by smokeygoose, on Flickr

Straight off camera no PP :)[/QUOTE]

That is very impressive without any PP, did you shoot it in RAW or jpg?

Yes I only shoot in RAW .. Well I put into Lightroom then uploaded it to flickr all it has done is convert it to JPEG

Last edited:
Mine arrived by FedEx this morning - I haven't photographed anything properly yet but just snapping out of the window and around my house I am extremely impressed by the balance and ergonomics on a 7D Mark II - Everything has been really well thought out. Even the lens hood has slightly flex which will help prevent breaking if it gets unintentionally knocked. Easy window for a circular polarising filter too (which is something I occasionally use).

The zoom ring is a little stiffer than I expected even when set to 'Smooth' but I expect it will loosen up with use.

A very nice feature indeed is the built-in lens tripod collar - It's very smooth and with no play whatsoever when mounted on a tripod or monopod and provides very secure movement from landscape to portrait format.

Does anyone know please what the second smaller hole recess in the tripod foot is for?

Last edited:
I think the second hole is for the anti twist pins that you get on some plates like manfrotto.

Mine arrived by FedEx this morning

<snip>

Does anyone know please what the second smaller hole recess in the tripod foot is for?

Anti-rotation pin?

I think the second hole is for the anti twist pins that you get on some plates like manfrotto.
Is it for a nub on a lens plate ?
Anti-rotation pin?

....Ah, a 'nub' or 'pin' on a plate as there's no screw thread in the hole or obvious fixing method and also there's absolutely no mention of it in the enclosed instruction booklet.

I'm using a Wimberley P-30 plate with its lip against the front toe of the tripod lens mount (more comfortable for handheld shooting) - This prevents rotation anyway.

Well, I've just taken the plunge and ordered one. Sigma 150-500 will now definitely go and probably Canon 70-300L as well.

Well, I've just taken the plunge and ordered one. Sigma 150-500 will now definitely go and probably Canon 70-300L as well.

....I know it's still early days but I am finding it's everything which that reviewer Dustin Abbott says it is except that the Kenko 1.4x DGX Pro300 does NOT work at all on a combo with the 7D Mark II. The 7D2 camera flags up a Firmware need to update message but he is reviewing the lens on a 6D I think.

Although my assessment is far from scientific, in the real world this 100-400mm II looks to me to be as sharp as my Canon 400mm F/5.6 L prime which has such a great reputation....

^ More info on Flickr [click image]

The 70-300mm L IS has an excellent reputation too but it would seem unnecessary to have both lenses.

Last edited:
Here's a quick snap taken with 7DII iso3200 untouched....nearly a macro!

10135-1424204339-876d56318fd114a8ff44f353d790bc09.jpg

Last edited:
On Saturday I found myself in woodland and of course it was Sod's Law when it became overcast for about 15 minutes while I came across a small family of wild Sika Deer.

I had my 100-400mm L II + 1.4x III on my 7D Mark II and a monopod across my shoulder, so I reset the ISO to 1600 and attached the monopod. They had spotted me but I kept still and they didn't spook - In fact I got 135 shots.

What really surprised me was the image quality at 1/50th shutter speeds! And with the 1.4x included in the combo. I found the zoom invaluable for being able to compose and recompose etc without having to move my position (standing) and hence risking them running off.

This isn't an award winning photo but I am very impressed with the results in such circumstances....

^ Click image to see more info on Flickr.

What are your thoughts?

:)

Very good but I think that small tree in the front needs cloning out

A very quick clone, you'll get the idea :)

Dkp1lbC.jpg

Mines due today from e-infinity £1462 delivered.

Love how they send you pics of it

j226bs.jpg

tX2aYI.jpg

You won't be disappointed guys. It's a very nice lens. Very even performance and most importantly very sharp wide open. On a 7D MkII it's a pretty neat combo. Enjoy :)

You won't be disappointed guys. It's a very nice lens. Very even performance and most importantly very sharp wide open. On a 7D MkII it's a pretty neat combo. Enjoy :)

:plus1:

And very practical - It replaces my Canon 70-200mm, 300mm, and 400mm L lenses.

I also use it with a 7D Mark II and I love it more and more, the more I use it and become familiar. It works very well too on occasions when a Canon 1.4x III is added and the max aperture value slides according to the zoom.

Mines due today from e-infinity £1462 delivered.

....That's a ridiculously low price! I paid £1,699 for mine from HDEW but have absolutely no regrets about not waiting longer. I have never heard of e-infinity but I'm not saying they are no good.

Well it turned up 30 mins ago, ordered Monday, sent Tuesday, not bad at all.

Ive ordered about 5 times from e-infinity, they have been great, and a lot cheaper than the usual importers.

I think i posted in this thread when they first came out about e-infinity, they had them at £1429 i think, then they jacked the price up to £1500 something, then lowered it again, keeps on lowering recently.

http://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/2416/canon_ef_100-400mm_f/4.5-5.6l_is_ii_usm_lens

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Canon...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item19f8d997fd

xueV8x.jpg

q6oyLU.jpg

erRTQn.jpg

0G3Lws.jpg

vQudq1.jpg

sBjwOr.jpg
Vw627M.jpg

2ba4rQ.jpg

Last edited:
Back