Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

Been toying with the idea of selling my 70-200 f2.8 MkII after getting the 100-400 but going to hang on for a little while as I don't want to sell and then regret it.

Just bought a neoprene cover for the 100-400 and a net section that extends when it's racked out to 400 mm. Nice fit and good protection from scratches minor knocks.

Seems pretty sharp

@ 400mm

b8BuXz.jpg

with 1.4 - 560mm

jHT7tA.jpg

Just got mine, a quick look would confirm what others have said, very good af, and even before I mfa it, sharp as a tack even with a 1.4 mk3 extender, and colour rendition excellent.
One thing....my IS gives a "tick" sound on engagement and disengagement, anybody else? Works perfectly, but sounds different from my other lenses!

George.

Yup, hope so, just that it's different than say my 70-200....thanks!

Just had a quick play, it's just different from my others, the 70-200 mk2 just sounds like there's a gyro thing going as I'd expect, but the 100-400 gives the same albeit quieter sound, but it's got this "tick" at the start and end of the IS cycle!!

Suspect it's fine,however, ....certainly the stabilisation is much better than the mk1 was, it just feels a much superior lens.

Just had a quick play, it's just different from my others, the 70-200 mk2 just sounds like there's a gyro thing going as I'd expect, but the 100-400 gives the same albeit quieter sound, but it's got this "tick" at the start and end of the IS cycle!!

Suspect it's fine,however, ....certainly the stabilisation is much better than the mk1 was, it just feels a much superior lens.

Everything about this lens is good, i cant wait to get to see some puffins and planes with it :)

Mine does the same George. All of my lenses make different sounds on the IS.

Mines due today from e-infinity £1462 delivered.

Love how they send you pics of it

j226bs.jpg

tX2aYI.jpg

I see you opted for the Fedex delivery option - was there any duty to pay? I was told if I selected 'Royal Mail' it would be delivered out of their UK dept, and hence no duty

I see you opted for the Fedex delivery option - was there any duty to pay? I was told if I selected 'Royal Mail' it would be delivered out of their UK dept, and hence no duty

No option to select delivery on their ebay page, no fees at all. :)

Ive ordered a lot of stuff from them , a couple of times, things did come with a lot of uk stamps attached.

Ah ok - I was looking at ordering directly from their website. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmmmmmm can't decide between this and the Tamron 150-600. Occasional use, and looking at the reviews this has the slightly better AF and IQ.........however the IQ isn't so much better that it cannot be 'fixed' by taking 1 step closer with the tamron attached according to many reviews............input from anyone with both ?

It's on the way, can't wait, although obviously I have to.

It's arrived and it's lovely. Taken a few snaps outside the house and seems to be very sharp. Will probably give it a proper test at the Highland Wildlife Park tomorrow though.

Just bought a neoprene cover for the 100-400 and a net section that extends when it's racked out to 400 mm. Nice fit and good protection from scratches minor knocks.

....Where from please, Gary? :)

Does it include a cover for the lens hood? And if so, does it still allow access to the trap door to a polarising filter?

Neoprene covers also protect the lens bodywork if using a rock etc as a bean bag.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm can't decide between this and the Tamron 150-600. Occasional use, and looking at the reviews this has the slightly better AF and IQ.........however the IQ isn't so much better that it cannot be 'fixed' by taking 1 step closer with the tamron attached according to many reviews............input from anyone with both ?

....Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the Canon is a much stronger and more durable build and is more weatherproof etc. It's also lighter.

Pop a 1.4x III on the Canon and there's not so much difference regarding reach.

:canon:

Last edited:
Can someone please advise me regarding IS on this lens when on a tripod?

I think I read somewhere that you don't have to switch off IS. Would this also apply when shooting on a gimbal when it's not locked rigid?

I think I read somewhere that you don't have to switch off IS. Would this also apply when shooting on a gimbal when it's not locked rigid?

I thought I'd see what the manual says. However it's less than enlightening:
Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer
* Using a tripod also stabilizes the image. However, depending on the kind of tripod and shooting conditions, sometimes it may be better to turn off the Image Stabilizer function.
Well, that was helpful.

I thought I'd see what the manual says. However it's less than enlightening:
Well, that was helpful.

....Thanks for answering and therefore being helpful, Stewart - I should have looked in the manual myself.

I guess that they mean that if your tripod is a bit lightweight and tends to move in a wind, then use IS. I am using a very stable Gitzo Systematic 3-series so I suppose I need to switch IS off. I didn't do so yesterday and that might explain why some of my handheld shots of the same subject were sharper than my tripod shots, although I was using a gimbal (Wimberley Sidekick on an Acratech ballhead) but not locked down and I would expect that there would be some movement on that unless locked before the shot.

Off to Colin Varndell's hides in West Dorset for the day shortly so I'll have to experiment. Very grey and slightly breezy :( - Not ideal conditions but it's paid for so I don't have much choice. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
....Where from please, Gary? :)

Does it include a cover for the lens hood? And if so, does it still allow access to the trap door to a polarising filter?

Neoprene covers also protect the lens bodywork if using a rock etc as a bean bag.

Got it from outdoor photography supplies, which is where I get all mine from. I think they are better than Lenscoats. The 100-400 cover has a non slip backing and is a really good fit. It comes with a cover for the lens hood. Mine doesn't have the trapdoor cut out as I will never use a polariser on it but they will cut you an aperture for it if you specify when you order. I also bought the zoom extension cover. Effectively it is a small piece of camo net with elasticated ends that fits over the lens hood and lens barrel. It's not a perfect fit, nothing will be that tries to cover a moving section like this, but it is better than nothing.

Fast delivery and for the protection it gives not silly money.

Last edited:

I'm afraid I leave stabilisation switched on all the tile on all my lenses when on a tripod or monopod.

Never found it to be a problem, but always prepared to listen to others comments

I always used to switch it off but someone on here suggested leaving it on. He said to try this. Put the lens and camera on the tripod and bring up live view and magnify the view. Let the camera settle and then take hold of the camera and watch what happens in live view. If it starts shaking then leave IS on. Must admit I now only switch it off if I'm shooting at high shutter speeds. Once I get down to 1/focal length I switch it back on.

One feature of the Mk2 version of the lens is that Stabilizer Mode 3 is a combination of Mode 1 and 2 but only assists at the moment of shutter release.

I've just finished the telephoto MFA on my copy with my 1 Dx and the results confirm what I already thought from the sample images I've taken.....it is an really excellent lens, the IS is far superior to the mk1 and it is sharp as a tack.

When time permits (and it won't be for a bit) I want to do some comparisons with the 70-200 2.8 at equivalent apertures, should be interesting.

My copy is actually sharpest at wide open aperture, either 5.6 or 8 (I was also setting up both of my mk3 1.4 TCs) and only required a tad of mfa.

Certainly this is a keeper!

When Photozones tested the lens George they found it was sharpest at 5.6 at all focal lengths.

When Photozones tested the lens George they found it was sharpest at 5.6 at all focal lengths.

Didn't see that review, Gary, but I'd concur completely....surprised me a bit as I'd have expected perhaps a small drop off at max aperture, some of my 2.8 lenses exhibit that.

As posted by @Canon Bob in the 7D2 thread, the lens is now on Canon's list with £250 Cashback :

http://www.canon.co.uk/lenscashback/ [edited to working link]

I only saved £50 more than from the Cashback by buying mine a few weeks ago from HDEW (£300 off RRP) but I'm happy and have already had some shots I am very very pleased with.

EDIT:

That offer is only when bought with the 7D2. The new cashback offers are up on Jessops but I didn't see the 100-400II included.

:)

Last edited:
Link no worky

i can see why people don't like the tripod mount, you stand the camera and lens on a desk and it wobbles over, i wondered why people were getting worked up over it at first.

....I keep a Wimberley P-30 Arca-Swiss-compatible plate permanently on each of my lens tripod collar feet - I tend to place my camera+lens on a soft seat or stand it vertically on its lens hood on a desk (with our without body). Such criticism of the foot is definitely not a deal-breaker.

I haven't tried detaching the lower foot section yet - I don't see the need as I like the long P-30 plate to rest in my palm while handheld shooting.

The more I use this lens the more I love it - It's delivering all the results I had hoped for over both my Canon L 300mm F/4 and 400mm F/5.6 primes (now both sold privately).

....The more I use this lens the more I love it - It's delivering all the results I had hoped for over both my Canon L 300mm F/4 and 400mm F/5.6 primes (now both sold privately).

Mine comes tomorrow. Can't wait to try it on my 7D2 with dragonflies in-flight

Mine comes tomorrow. Can't wait to try it on my 7D2 with dragonflies in-flight

....SNAP!! Roll on the new flight season! - Not too long now! At least not too long for the first Damselflies.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying shooting birds on the 7D2+100-400 combo. It even isn't too shabby with the 1.4x III onboard occasionally.

Got it from outdoor photography supplies, which is where I get all mine from. I think they are better than Lenscoats. The 100-400 cover has a non slip backing and is a really good fit. It comes with a cover for the lens hood. Mine doesn't have the trapdoor cut out as I will never use a polariser on it but they will cut you an aperture for it if you specify when you order. I also bought the zoom extension cover. Effectively it is a small piece of camo net with elasticated ends that fits over the lens hood and lens barrel. It's not a perfect fit, nothing will be that tries to cover a moving section like this, but it is better than nothing.

Fast delivery and for the protection it gives not silly money.

....Cheers, Gary :)

I have bought 3 lens covers from Outdoor Photography Supplies in the past and like that the two guys running it are also wildlife photographers and so know what's needed. I also bought my BagHide from them.

I should receive my lens hood cover with cut-out (I do use polarisers occasionally but more often on my 100mm Macro) early next week but haven't bothered with the rest of the lens cover components as I only use the neoprene for hood protection instead of a carrying a bean-bag around.

http://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk/canon-neoprene-lens-covers

:)

how do the lens covers fit? do they fit ok when zooming, or do they just fit when its fully extended? never had a cover before.

....Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the Canon is a much stronger and more durable build and is more weatherproof etc. It's also lighter.

Pop a 1.4x III on the Canon and there's not so much difference regarding reach.

:canon:

Apart from its then a stop slower than the Canon, tbh I'm leaning slightly toward the tamron as it's half the price and 95% as good

Been thinking about getting one of these for a while to replace my Sigma 300mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8. Both great lenses, but are not OS versions and are heavy glass for travel when combined with TCs and standard and wide angle zooms. On long haul flights the 300mm stays at home. So pretty useless if I can't use it when I'm somewhere that's taken a lot of time, money and effort to be.

So after reading a lot of great reviews and giving the idea some serious consideration, I tried one out yesterday and have decided to take up a good trade-in offer with a local camera store. Got a better offer in person than the usual online suspects, without the uncertainty of shipping etc. Everything is packed up, going to do the deal this afternoon. Looking forward to getting out and about with what seems to be an excellent lens.

Edit - Got it... :)

Last edited:
Back