Canon EF 50 1.2 or Sigma 50 1.4 ART

Name
Andrew Blundred
Edit My Images
Yes
I have owned and enjoyed using the Sigma 50 for a few years now but find myself without one and wanting a 50 in the kit bag.
I have been offered a Canon EF 50 1.2 which is a lens I have always wanted for a great price. I have looked at some YouTube comparisons and the common theme is that the Canon is too old and can't compete at any level with the Sigma.
Just wondered what your thoughts are, hard to imagine that a lens that, new, is over twice the price of the Sigma.
I'm not sure which lens to get.
Cheers.

I have a bunch of sigma arts and have had many L lenses . To me the arts are a no brainier . They are all stunning and the 50mm art is my most used lens at weddings . For me the canon is not worth the extra £ . For as long as sigma do the art range I will never buy a canon lens again .

It depends if you want f/1.2 bragging rights or all the rest and some money left over,,, I'd take the Sigma every single time. It is an early ART so not their best one but pretty good.
On R6 level camera you can shoot it wide open any way you want. And it looks very very good. On 50MP 5Ds I would recommend stopping it down to f/5.6 when shooting landscapes for best results. If will eat the old EF lens for lunch and dinner quite easily.

The Canon has CA wide open and needs to be stopped down for increased sharpness. The Sigma can be shot wide open which I have done and is decently sharp at f1.4. The only other main difference is the bokeh which is only something that you have to research and see what you prefer. As HCB said “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”.

Back