Canon EF 70-200

Messages
6,562
Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I have the canon EF 70-200 f4 IS version 1. I've used this lens on an 80d, r7 and now on the r6ii. The lens is very sharp from f4 onwards and generally I'm happy with this lens. I use the lens mainly to photo fast moving dogs (my dogs, mainly), the focus when panning is pretty accurate and tracks the dog well with a good % of keepers. When the dog is running straight at the camera the keeper rate is greatly reduced. The focus tends to be 2-3" behind where I expect it to be. Not on every shot out of a burst, but at least half maybe more. I understand it's a lot harder from the camera and lens with subjects coming straight at you at speed. Also one of my dogs is jet black, with dark eyes, so it's always going to be hard. I was wandering if the canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS ii would be any better, especially with focusing speed. A used lens is anything from £750-£900, so a decent amount of money, which I would rather not spend if I'm not getting any real benefit other than a faster aperture. The RF version are just way to expensive for me.
 
I think the only way to improve the focus speed appreciatively is to get one of the rf ones.

But genuinely, my keeper rate with the ancient ef lens I had was like witchcraft on the r6 compared to my DSLR’s,

Maybe experiment with fine tuning the focus tracking.


Or maybe my expectations are low cos I grew up manually focussing on rally cars, where any in focus shot felt like an achievement. So going from a 1 in 10 hit rate, to early AF that was 1 in 3, then the 7d which was 5 in 10 to the r6 which would be 8 or 9 in 10 is amazing.

That drops a bit when shooting my daughters black lab running at the camera, but still…
 
I think the only way to improve the focus speed appreciatively is to get one of the rf ones.

But genuinely, my keeper rate with the ancient ef lens I had was like witchcraft on the r6 compared to my DSLR’s,

Maybe experiment with fine tuning the focus tracking.


Or maybe my expectations are low cos I grew up manually focussing on rally cars, where any in focus shot felt like an achievement. So going from a 1 in 10 hit rate, to early AF that was 1 in 3, then the 7d which was 5 in 10 to the r6 which would be 8 or 9 in 10 is amazing.

That drops a bit when shooting my daughters black lab running at the camera, but still…
Thanks Phil
As I say, I'm pretty happy with the lens and don't want to spend money if I don't need to. I'll probably stick with it, as these photos are just for me and my pleasure. I'll look at making some adjustments in the AF menus.
 
Check the camera settings. I also use this lens and used it with a 5D2 and now a 5D4. Both track an object moving towards or away and adjust the focus accordingly.

Dave
 
Since I have some experience with this here are a few pointers:

1. animal eye af on. I am sure you already do this.
2. avoid backlight for dark / black dogs. Try not to work around dusk either. 2-3 hours to sunset gives nice crisp sunlight.
3. electronic shutter, disable all lens optimisations. These mid-range cameras have too limited processing power to be doing that and tracking focus.
4. Avoid any EF 70-200 2.8. Seriously. Other than a [soft like toilet tissue] 2.8 aperture they were just a heavy and expensive downgrade.

If you fancy an interesting new (used) lens, look at 300mm f/4 (still f4), 200mm f/2.8, or 135mm f/2 or better still sigma art 135 f/1.8. you should be ok with your lens if you work around the constraints
 
Back
Top