Canon EF mount users - what does the future hold?

If you need the lens to take the pics you need then I would not wait a couple of years. Try buying second hand?
I know what you mean, I'll keep my eye out for the lens I want. After all a couple of years is a long time :)

I feel like if there is a thing that I need for the business use I'll get it, but any project or "want" items or lenses in this cases like 100-400mm are pretty much put on hold unless a crazy good deal comes along.

The SLR has been around for over 100 years. I don’t think it will be going away any time soon. That’s because it works and works very well. The new kid on the block mirror less has a lot going for it. It will find its place it the market. The end of the SLR is a long way off.
I think your claim to over 100 years is wrong, but it is certainly over 75 years. Wikipedia places the first SLR prototype as 1934.
Until about 15 years ago there was no other way to get the bulk of the advantages of an SLR. The first mirrorless cameras gave an alternative that did, but was still inferior in some respects. By the time my current mirrorless cameras were produced (~5 years ago) the mirrorless models beat SLR models in many ways loosing out in very few ways. Modern models are better yet, so IF SLRs have an advantage at all is now very much debatable.

Well I think it is likely they will soon release mkV somewhere around 3-3.5 years since mkIV.

Timing makes sense but does it make sense for their business strategy? The R is competitively priced, the RP will end up being very aggressively priced so where could Canon place a 5DV that makes sense? I would have thought Canon would be much more focused on what to do about 1D and 5DS replacements.

I fear 5DV will remain at the same price point as IV. It is like for like update and for the time being it will be their best offering apart from 1DX line. Not everyone is ready for the R yet (mk1 doesn't answer basic requirements such as dual cards) and that's the user base they would wish to capitalise from. I am sure their marketing department will have a say on the way forward and we may be proven wrong. Will there be 5Ds II? Let's say if mkV is 40-45MP and without AA filter then the 's' needs to be 65-80 to make enough sense? Have they got the tech?? I don't see anything in their APS-C line to suggest so, but again they may have cards up their sleeve. Maybe a mkV with sensor shift technology? If prospective cameras are reasonably similar, it wouldn't be difficult to make a decision to go with a single model given market situation.

Back