Canon EOS 1D MkII battery charging

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I recently aquired a 1D MkII, At the right price, free.
It came with two batteries but no charger.

So a bit of 'Bodgit & Scarper', aka Heath Robinson, this may or may not work. I'm trying to charge them from a charger for RC car batteries

Clipboard01.jpg

Did it work? I had a 1D mk2 back in the day, but can't remember what the charger was like. I can remember you had to flip out, then twist the lock on the battery to remove it, but not what the charger was like. I took some of my favourite photos with that camera.

Did it work? I had a 1D mk2 back in the day, but can't remember what the charger was like. I can remember you had to flip out, then twist the lock on the battery to remove it, but not what the charger was like. I took some of my favourite photos with that camera.
It does work!

One of the packs is dead, so I took it to bits to find it's got 10 x AA NiMH 1800mAh cells inside.
I'm handy with a soldering iron, so I got 10 x 2500mAh cells and a more sophisticated charger from a RC models place. Charger connects the same way as I don't have the pukka Canon plug and it's not something I can get from RS etc.

I've stuck a 50mm f1.8 on the front and shot a few frames with it. For what is in DSLR terms obsolete technology I'm impressed. It's the first time I've used FF digital, my other Canon 70D is of course crop sensor.

I'm still far more inclined to shoot medium or large format film, but I'm intrigued to see what a modern FF DSLR can do. I am somewhat unlikely to be able to afford one though.

Great stuff!

It isn't FF, it is a 1.3x crop.

Great stuff!

It isn't FF, it is a 1.3x crop.
I didn't realise that, TY.

So, bigger chip than my 70D but not quite as big as FF.

That explains why the 50mm on it feels a little tight compared to 50mm on my Pentax LX

the1D mkiii was my all time favourite camera . The AF system was simply superb you can go from single point AF to the ring of fire / all points with one click ..rarely missed a b.i.f shot

Back