Canon EOS 2000d EF-S advice

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am a real amateur so please bear with me. I have the above camera with the standard 18-55 mm lens, my main reason for buying a camera is for wildlife and very close up shots, now, I have been reading a lot about macro lenses, but to be honest I am extremely confused. I do not want to splash out on pointless equipment, as of course it is never cheap (especially in the UK!), so, I am looking for advice on either a good starter macro lens, or lens attachments, such as the Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment. I do not strive to be professional in any way, and only want to use photography as a hobby and to get me out of the house. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wildlife covers a huge range so please be more specific. Which macro lens this too to some extent is dependant on what you intend to photograph. As your camera doesn’t have in built stabilisation is this something you feel you would need then in the lens? Finally please advise us as to how much you are prepared to spend.

The problem with wildlife may be getting close enough so a longer lens may help, there may be a budget 70-300mm f3.5-5.6 or 18-300mm you could look at. Something like that may be good enough for good light use but of course some wildlife shooting may need a longer lens and a wider aperture.

Macro is often thought to be 1:1 magnification but for us amateurs a decent close up ability may be all we need. There are dedicated macro lenses which are often very good but what you'll want will depend on what you want to take pictures off. For example if you want to take pictures of bugs that may fly or run away if you get too close you may need a longer lens such as a 150mm f2.8 but these can be expensive. If you're taking pictures of small things and detail rather than living things getting close may not be a problem and something like a 50mm f2.8 macro or even the Raynox might be worth looking at. Be aware that the distance from the subject alters the perspective so that could influence your choice of focal length too. I use a set of cheap close up filters which often come in a set, for example No.1, 2 and 4. Although I do have a macro lens I find close up filters adequate for taking pictures of flowers, leaves and other small things that don't mind a lens being just inches away.

Another thing to think about is that macro and close up shooting is usually done using manual focus so a film era manual focus macro lens may be worth thinking about. I have an old film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 and it's a true 1:1 macro lens. I think it cost £60 which is a bargain compared to what modern AF macro lenses cost.

I wouldn't rule out cropping your pictures either as depending upon your final print size or viewing requirement heavily cropping a picture to get the subject bigger in the frame could be a viable option. I often find that 100% crops are good enough for full screen viewing and would probably be good enough for a good sized print too.

Good luck choosing which way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I'm sorry I should have been more specific! I am very interested in textures, so flowers,leaves,bark etc, also interested in real close up of insects. Obviously I have seen some great photos when looking online and I would love to emulate these someday. I may try the Raynox DCR-250 and see how I go. I am overwhelmed with the choices.

I should have also said I do have a (cheapish) Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 lens , as it had good reviews. As to what I wish to spend? Well I do not want to buy rubbish as it's false economy. But like most people I have bills and a family, so lenses have to be at the bottom of my list. I am playing with the Tamron lens, but obviously it is not a top notch lens, I realise that.

As to manual focus, yes I agree absolutely, I find it so much better. I have watched videos of people manually turning their lenses around and using that as a cheap macro alternative, I tried that with mixed results, obviously it's not ideal :). But I was shocked at the prices of a dedicated lens. Still confused but I will persevere. Many thanks for the prompt replies for a total newbie!

Plus 1 for seeking out a set of close-up filters, a set of three can be had for not very much - £10 or so on e-bay.

These will allow you to focus much closer and fill the frame with your subject much better, similar in concept to the raynox, but usefully cheaper.

Optically they are a bit variable, but I used these quite successfully before I bought a dedicated macro, I would suggest a used set of known brand ones, Hoya would be a good place to start.

These will help you achieve what you want for not much money.

Would you or anyone be able to recommend a good set of close up filters? Possibly from Amazon UK (if links are permitted?) Thanks

Would you or anyone be able to recommend a good set of close up filters? Possibly from Amazon UK (if links are permitted?) Thanks

Get the Raynox DCR-250. It is in fact a 'close-up filter' but of much higher quality than the usual cheap ones off ebay etc. It's easy to use and will get you started in the world of close-ups of flowers and butterflies etc. Leave the smaller bugs and beetles for now, until you've got to grips with the technicalities that can be challenging the closer you get.

Edit: Correction - meant to say Raynox DCR-150 for starters with flowers etc. DCR-250 is a stronger lens for very small critters.

Last edited:

Mine are Kood. I've had them decades and whilst they may not be of the quality of a Raynox they only cost £27 and have lasted me a long time. They came in a nice box too. I take a No.4 with me on walks or use it in the garden, usually on a 35 or 50mm lens. You can of course stack them. Mine are 67mm so I have a number of stepping rings so I can use them on different lenses. Image quality wise they're easily good enough in the central area to stand up to pixel peeping and at the extremes they're still good enough for screen viewing and prints.

PS.
If you do go for a set I'd recommend getting some to fit your biggest filter thread lens and using stepping rings for any other lenses. I buy my bits and pieces like stepping rings from evil bay these days. My most uses stepping rings are probably 49-67 and 52-67mm.

This is the set I have... except mine are 67mm.

Last edited:
Get the Raynox DCR-250. It is in fact a 'close-up filter' but of much higher quality than the usual cheap ones off ebay etc. It's easy to use and will get you started in the world of close-ups of flowers and butterflies etc. Leave the smaller bugs and beetles for now, until you've got to grips with the technicalities that can be challenging the closer you get.

Wont this cause vignetting on bigger filter thread lenses?

Many thanks for the replies, a lot for me to loom into, I do have what is perhaps a daft question.

Do the Raynox DCR-250 and the extension tube rings do more or less the same thing? Really, I am after something where I can take extreme close ups.

Thanks again

If by extension tube rings you're talking about close up filters - like the ones in that link I posted - these are all basically magnifying glasses that screw to the front of your lens.

The close up filters I have can be stacked - mounted together to give more magnification - and other things can then be screwed to them, such as filters etc and you can fit a lens cap or even a screw on hood. I don't know if you can add other things to the Raynox but someone will doubtless be able to answer this.

Back