Beginner Canon EOS 250?

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
I hope a very simple question I am thinking of selling one of my Watches (Bulova Lunar Pilot 50th Special Edition) to fund the purchase of a Canon EOS250. I have only been taking pics on a used Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200 for a couple of weeks, but I have been reading all the excellent reviews of this camera and wonder if it would be worth a purchase? Thank you in advance.

Barry

It's got Canons 24mp sensor and dual pixle autofucus, both good things. I've not tried this camera, but I have use a similar model which impressed me a lot.
The reviews I've seen are postitive.
It should be a good camera, and get you used to the Canon system... Sadly in the long term photography can prove to be an expensive hobby,. ;)

It's got Canons 24mp sensor and dual pixle autofucus, both good things. I've not tried this camera, but I have use a similar model which impressed me a lot.
The reviews I've seen are postitive.
It should be a good camera, and get you used to the Canon system... Sadly in the long term photography can prove to be an expensive hobby,. ;)
Thank you

I’d not go for a new ‘entry level’ camera but look for a bargain used ‘intermediate’ camera.

The ergonomics will be better and you’ll be much less likely to feel the need to upgrade in 12 months time.

For the same money as the 250d and crappy kit lens, you could get a used 80d and 17-55 IS which is as close as you’ll get to a std L zoom for a Canon crop.

I should put in my signature that there’s no such thing as a camera suitable for a beginner. Entry level cameras are a marketing trick created solely for the purpose of building an upgrade path.

Thank you Phil. Can you please tell me (as a beginner) the difference.

Some of the big differences in use would be:
More physical buttons and dials on the 80d meaning you don’t need to dive into menus to change many common settings
The 250d uses a pentamirror which doesn’t transmit as much light to the viewfinder as the pentaprism on the 80d

The 250d uses a fairly rudimentary 9 point af system, the 80d has a fairly advanced 45 point system (though they both have the same live view system and the same sensor).

The 250d shoots 5fps the 80d 7fps.

Basically if you already owned the 250d and felt frustrated by the ergonomics, you’d be told to upgrade to the 90d.

The lens.
The cheap 18-55 kit lens has a variable Aperture (f3.5 at 18 and f5.6 at 55) and isn’t particularly sharp.
The 17-55 has a constant max aperture of f2.8.

Phil I might be able to purchase one in a few weeks, if you can help me find a good used deal that would be fantastic.

I need to sell a watch first to fund the purchase.:)

Last edited:
Meanwhile you should do a bit more research.
Read some reviews and see what the differences mean in real world use.

Back