Beginner Canon EOS 30D DSLR camera

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I'd just like to say I've never owned a proper camera before, I normally use my phone, but would like something better as I'm starting to take more joy in taking photos.

I've been searching local ads near me and I've came across a Canon EOS 30D DSLR that also comes with a telezoom lens, extra batteries, filters, nominal lens and carry bag.

They are asking for £85 for the lot. Is this a good deal and would it make do for a beginner to start taking photos with it?

Any advice would be great, thanks

Depending on what the lenses are it could be an OK deal. I have the predecessor to that, the Canon 20D and had photos published that I’d taken on it.

Depending on what the lenses are it could be an OK deal. I have the predecessor to that, the Canon 20D and had photos published that I’d taken on it.
Thanks, I've messaged him to see what lenses it comes with, just waiting to hear back.

At £85, worth a punt....... but only if it is all clean and full working order.

Do you know the brand name(s) and specifications of the two lenses?

Is the seller willing & able to show it all being used and/or have you anyone who knows their way around such a dSLR that can go with you?

PS
User manual and other Canon info & links for the 30D
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...gital_slr/eos_30d.html?type=manuals&language=

PPS don't forget you will need CF (Compact Flash) memory cards!

Last edited:
I've came across a Canon EOS rebel xt with a 90-1000mm Canon lens. Any thoughts on this one? It's for £140

This company is used by many, so maybe create a shopping list there and see what the total might be?

FWIW I would, if I was looking again at older Canon on a budget, go for a 40D ;)

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...MIqJfnx73f5gIVDLTtCh3bUwkIEAAYASACEgLbuvD_BwE
I'll check the link out now, budget is everything at the moment, I don't really want to go above £100 all together until I know I enjoy it, then look at getting a better camera from there lol.

I see you recommend the 40d, is there much difference in the 40d and 400d? There's one advertised near me that comes with lens, charger and bag, all for £55. But anyway, I'll check the link out now thanks

I can't speak about the 400D but IMO the 40D was for me a superb camera.

Solid feel with a good responsive AF especially in AI Servo mode (worked well for Motorsports and wildlife).

The files were clean with a smoothness only matched IMO by the 5D full frame series. When post processing, the one thing that I never had to be concerned about was noise because there was none!

@Jason27 I have a Canon 400d, in the past I have also had a 40d and a 450d. I stuck with the 400d as it was my first DSLR and it was, at that point my go to camera. I found that the 450d's photos were no better than the 400 with the only real benefit being live view. The 40d was just a little too big. I will be honest, I do love my 400d. A few times I have gone to replace it, only for it to produce an image that I just think wow.

My 400d has 150,000 clicks (3 times its rated life shutter) and its still going strong. Just remember whatever you buy you will need to factor in batteries as if they are still on the original Canon then they will be long gone. You can load Magic Lantern on it too which will give you a range of other features including the ability to boost to ISO 3200, although i'll warn you in advance, it can be a bit noisy. I have uploaded a few images from a recent trip for you to see.

If you don't want to go above £100 I can't think of much better. When I use a friend's 5D, I do get full frame envy, however, these will cost you a lot more to buy, in addition you will need to factor in a lens. Most 400ds will come with a kit lens (18-55).

If you want to know any more, let me know.

Attachments

• Las Vegas Christmas 2019 0906.JPG
    Las Vegas Christmas 2019 0906.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Las Vegas Christmas 2019 0274.JPG
    Las Vegas Christmas 2019 0274.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Las Vegas Christmas 2019 0111.JPG
    Las Vegas Christmas 2019 0111.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 10
@Jason27 I have a Canon 400d, in the past I have also had a 40d and a 450d. I stuck with the 400d as it was my first DSLR and it was, at that point my go to camera. I found that the 450d's photos were no better than the 400 with the only real benefit being live view. The 40d was just a little too big. I will be honest, I do love my 400d. A few times I have gone to replace it, only for it to produce an image that I just think wow.

My 400d has 150,000 clicks (3 times its rated life shutter) and its still going strong. Just remember whatever you buy you will need to factor in batteries as if they are still on the original Canon then they will be long gone. You can load Magic Lantern on it too which will give you a range of other features including the ability to boost to ISO 3200, although i'll warn you in advance, it can be a bit noisy. I have uploaded a few images from a recent trip for you to see.

If you don't want to go above £100 I can't think of much better. When I use a friend's 5D, I do get full frame envy, however, these will cost you a lot more to buy, in addition you will need to factor in a lens. Most 400ds will come with a kit lens (18-55).

If you want to know any more, let me know.
Sadly I couldn't get the 400d, it turns out it was a 150 mile round trip to get it lol

Luckily though my mum has a Canon powershot sx420 IS that I can use while I look for a dslr.

I can't speak about the 400D but IMO the 40D was for me a superb camera.

Solid feel with a good responsive AF especially in AI Servo mode (worked well for Motorsports and wildlife).

The files were clean with a smoothness only matched IMO by the 5D full frame series. When post processing, the one thing that I never had to be concerned about was noise because there was none!

Hmmm. Dunno if I'd get too carried away praising or recommending any of these relatively old Canon DSLR's as there are clear issues when compared to even modest more recent kit like poor by todays standards ISO performance and even noise when boosting the shadows at low ISO's and other things that go with the Canons of that time.

I think in the OP's position these cameras can make a lot of sense at £100 or so because you can get them cheap and they could be a good starting point to learn on but I don't think it's worth spending more than the OP is looking to spend as we shouldn't forget that these cameras and the lenses you'll get with them at these prices are going to struggle in comparison to more recent kit. The problem being that more recent kit will cost more.

When I look at what my MFT Panasonic GX80 and kit lens is capable of (and that is IMO a humble little set up) compared to what I was getting from my FF Canon 5D it just shows how much things have moved on. That Panny and kit lens would probably cost over £200 though.

I just don't think we shouldn't talk this kit up too much, yes it's cheap and it's a DSLR and lens but against more recent stuff it shows its age and limitations and every penny the price creeps up means they make much less sense, IMVHO and I think the OP is right to really limit the budget.

Hmmm. Dunno if I'd get too carried away praising or recommending any of these relatively old Canon DSLR's as there are clear issues when compared to even modest more recent kit like poor by todays standards ISO performance and even noise when boosting the shadows at low ISO's and other things that go with the Canons of that time.

I think in the OP's position these cameras can make a lot of sense at £100 or so because you can get them cheap and they could be a good starting point to learn on but I don't think it's worth spending more than the OP is looking to spend as we shouldn't forget that these cameras and the lenses you'll get with them at these prices are going to struggle in comparison to more recent kit. The problem being that more recent kit will cost more.

When I look at what my MFT Panasonic GX80 and kit lens is capable of (and that is IMO a humble little set up) compared to what I was getting from my FF Canon 5D it just shows how much things have moved on. That Panny and kit lens would probably cost over £200 though.

I just don't think we shouldn't talk this kit up too much, yes it's cheap and it's a DSLR and lens but against more recent stuff it shows its age and limitations and every penny the price creeps up means they make much less sense, IMVHO and I think the OP is right to really limit the budget.

I agree though I did put it in context especially as his OP and thread title was about the 30D.

My first serious camera was the Exa 1a with waist level finder, it was antiquated by some of the then much more expensive cameras but it aided my learning about metering (I also bought a budget grade Sekonic to use) and cameracraft etc

It was all I could manage to save up for from pocket money and birthday money.... so budget of course will dictate what to buy.

Whatever @Jason27 gets I hope he enjoys the experience and learns to appreciate what can be achieved with a camera rather than a camera phone.

The 40D, along with the 1DsMkIII and 1DMkIII, was born in a brief period when 'pixel greed' wasn't trumping the available sensor technology. Of course they can't compete with more modern bodies when the iso gets challenging but all three have sensors which produce pleasant results at the iso 100-400 range. I still have a 40D and 1DsMkIII and don't hesitate to take them out leaving the 1DxII's or 5DSr at home.

Just been browsing on the Facebook market and seen a Nikon D5000 Camera, Battery and Charger
18-105mm Lens complete with hood and bag.
FLD,CPL and UV filters for the Lens

All for £110.

What's your thoughts on this camera? Sorry for all the questions, with so many cameras on the market I don't have a clue which is good and which is not lol

I completely disagree. Yes, they might be poor by modern standards, in the same way as modern cars are faster and more fuel efficient than old ones. You have to remember that the Op has set a strict budget of £~100 which obviously would limit what he can get. When you then look at the budge for £100 the 400d, lens and memory card would fit the bill quite well. At £100 a more modern camera doesn't come in to the equation.

I completely disagree. Yes, they might be poor by modern standards, in the same way as modern cars are faster and more fuel efficient than old ones. You have to remember that the Op has set a strict budget of £~100 which obviously would limit what he can get. When you then look at the budge for £100 the 400d, lens and memory card would fit the bill quite well. At £100 a more modern camera doesn't come in to the equation.

I had a 300D and then 20D for over 7 years with a 10D in there somewhere before going to the 5D. The 20D was a dust magnet and I couldn't boost the shadows without epic noise but I was happy enough. I was super pleased with the dust bunny magnet 5D and I thought I'd never ever need better image quality. So, I'm no Canon knocker. But...

With every penny that the cost goes up these cameras look much less of an option IMO because more modern kit can be had from what? £150 and onwards? That more modern kit will very probably allow you to take useable pictures at ISO 25,600 and at the ISO's those Canon's could manage the newer kit would probably just murder them.

That was my point. Yes an old Canon DSLR and lens will get the op up and running but I think the cost is key and these old cameras really only make sense, IMVHO, if they significantly undercut the (IMO) superior and more flexible modern stuff. oh, and I'd rather have a £60 Panasonic G1 than an old Canon DSLR.

Last edited:
Just waiting to hear back about the nikon d5000 with 18 - 105mm lens. Hopefully get something by the end of the week :)

Back