Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Nicer colours than the Sony ;)

Thanks ! Funny you say that….and can’t deny it, I do prefer Canon colours.

Was shooting with some videographers and they had 1Dsmk2 and 5D4, he said he used to have the A7S2 but went back to Canon because he found the Sony to have this “brown” colour tinge.

I am upgrading to a 5dmk4 thiis week so I'll be reading this thread with relish especially from the wildlife toggers amongst you, it will be paired with my 400mm DO mk2 and a 1.4x iii extender and possibly the 2x iii at future date

Last edited:
Hi all now that I am the owner of a 5d4 I was just wondering what sort of ISO the camera can be used at, on my 7d2 I didn't go above 1600 iso or 3200 at a push

Tried out the Canon 5Div's wifi connectivity yesterday. image sent to my phone and edited in Samsung's photo editor

Attachments

• 20181012_162237.jpg
    20181012_162237.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 28
QV0RWoF.jpg

Looks like the low-light performance is at least equal to that of the 6D; and that was no slouch at 6400 ISO, with very little loss of detail or 'grain'/noise. I'm getting very tempted to bite and buy a 5D iv, but I don't use my 6D enough at the moment and I keep hoping that the 5D v (if there is one) might have eye-controlled focus point selection, which is such a useful feature if you've ever used a Canon film camera like the EOS-3 or EOS 30 and it worked OK for you.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have just upgraded to a 5d4 from a 5d3.

I see that someone much earlier in the thread has successfully transferred their Kirk L-plate from their 5d3 to their 5d4. It does seem to fit.

I contacted Kirk and they advised me against it as the L-plates are specific to the camera model, but that it was up to me. (Maybe they were just trying to sell more L-plates......)

Has anyone else tried this and trusted it?

Last edited:
Hi,

I have just upgraded to a 5d4 from a 5d3.

I see that someone much earlier in the thread has successfully transferred their Kirk L-plate from their 5d3 to their 5d4. It does seem to fit.

I contacted Kirk and they advised me against it as the L-plates are specific to the camera model, but that it was up to me. (Maybe they were just trying to sell more L-plates......)

Has anyone else tried this and trusted it?

The plate for the 5d3 plus battery grip doesn't fit very well on the 5d4. The shape of the bottom battery pack is slightly different. Can't speak for the non battery pack version of the plate. I took a gamble and got a sunwayfoto grip for the 5D4 plus battery pack and it is just as good as any of the Kirk plates I have bought in the past. About 70-80UKP on ebay.

There is a thread about this somewhere on the forum.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-5d4-and-l-bracket-issue.685587/

Regards...

Last edited:
You'll have to join in the campaign for Canon to bring back eye-controlled focus point selection on the next 5D model, then you won't need a joystick. (y)

Luckily, i got it from panamoz so it will be getting fixed for free, they emailed back this morning. Just need to organise it on Monday

I succumbed and bought a 5DIV which arrived on Friday. It hasn't come out of its box yet as I've been crazy busy at work and off to Iceland tomorrow. It will have to wait until Monday when I get back. Better check it sharpish when I get back just in case .....

My 5DIV came today, I'd traded in my 5DII and 50D as part exchange for it. Some controls and buttons in different places but so far I'm liking it. What I need now is for the rain and high winds to stop so i can get out and try it in the outdoors. I've ordered David Buschas Guide to the 5DIV has anyone else used it? is it any good?

My 5DIV came today, I'd traded in my 5DII and 50D as part exchange for it. Some controls and buttons in different places but so far I'm liking it. What I need now is for the rain and high winds to stop so i can get out and try it in the outdoors. I've ordered David Buschas Guide to the 5DIV has anyone else used it? is it any good?

It's weather sealed. Get out there :D

Mine has been posted to H Lehmann today so hopefully nothing interesting happens for a few weeks. They also said panamoz are quite good at paying, I've never had to fix any camera stuff before. Out of curiosity has anyone else broken their joystick/AF selector?

Mine has been posted to H Lehmann today so hopefully nothing interesting happens for a few weeks. They also said panamoz are quite good at paying, I've never had to fix any camera stuff before. Out of curiosity has anyone else broken their joystick/AF selector?

I've not had any problems with my 5D4, apart from it "freezing" a couple of times.

I hear Lehman's are quite good - I hope they give your camera a quick turnaround.

Chris

I used Lehman's for my 5D4 last January and it was quick but that was due to CPS membership. Do you have enough stuff to sign up for that? You do not have to be a professional photographer.

I only have 1 camera body, 3 lenses and 2 600exrts I think I checked when I got the 5d and I didn’t have enough, I’d like it back for a nativity on the 12th but I’m not holding my breath, as long as it’s before Xmas

Without CPS it can take 2 weeks.

With CPS, to Canon, I sent mine off on Monday, got it back fixed on Thursday.

He said 10 days on the phone and said if you need it earlier leave a note and we’ll see what we can do, so I’m hoping to have it back for the 11th but they will only have it on the 4th but it was my daughters birthday yesterday so I didn’t want to be without it. As long as it’s back for Xmas I’ll be happy but if it’s back next Tuesday, I’ll be very impressed

Good to hear Panamoz provided a good service. I bought min from there.

Purchased one of these today.

Refused to pay over 3k for one but in Canons winter sale it has £500 off and from jessops they are giving away a battery grip with it.

It would be rude not to really.

Just need to sell some gear off to get some money back.

Purchased one of these today.

Refused to pay over 3k for one but in Canons winter sale it has £500 off and from jessops they are giving away a battery grip with it.

It would be rude not to really.

Just need to sell some gear off to get some money back.
Enjoy

I think my 5DIV is on its way your Elstree but thought I’d ask if anyone had experienced this.

On Tuesday I was taking photos of my nephew opening his presents using the 5DIV and 580EXII.

When I turned the flash on it fired a preflash (doesn’t normally). Camera focused and fired as normal but the play back button and all of the buttons down the left of the LCD were unresponsive. Turning the flash and the camera off and on again didn’t help so I had to remove batteries and reinsert and then the camera worked again and the shot was recorded. Next shot same thing happened.

The camera is absolutely fine when shooting without the flash. I have tried my other 580EXII with the same result so I’m thinking it’s sonething to do with the hotshoe on the camera.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks,

Neil

Not had that problem, does seem strange. Can you control the flash settings from the camera? Does it make a difference which mode? Perhaps another mode might be a work around until repaired.

Thanks. To be honest I don’t use flash much and mainly shoot wildlife/landscape.

Happened in both manual and aperture priority. I didnt try controlling the flash from the camera.

Back