Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

But if the 6d2 is available now for half what it was on release, i'd say its probabaly damn good value now.

except for a similar price you can also get D750 or A7RII and that's damn good value too. And for a little more you can pick up X-T3, A7III, X-H1, E-M1ii and so on which are also very good value. When the canon's current FF sensor performance is on the level of a sensor that's quarter it's size you got to really question if its worth the price tag of a FF body or even worth taking it seriously.

Last edited:
except for a similar price you can also get D750 or A7RII and that's damn good value too. And for a little more you can pick up X-T3, A7III, X-H1, E-M1ii and so on which are also very good value. When the canon's current FF sensor performance is on the level of a sensor that's quarter it's size you got to really question if its worth the price tag of a FF body or even worth taking it seriously.
It depends if you prefer those other manufacturers though, and also if you’re invested in lenses. Starting from scratch and assuming you have no preference over ergonomics you’d not be of sound mind if you chose the 6D2 over the D750 or A7iii imo. But if you’re ingrained into Canon and want a FF body for that price the 6D2, whilst being the only real option (without going too old), is still a very good option.

Hi All, I am seriously looking at the 6D Mk2 as an upgrade from my 600D. I feel it will be a worthy upgrade, especially as prices are now in the £950 region on Panamoz, HDEW.

Will be paring it up with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 and 50mm f1.8.

Can anyone who has purchased a 6D Mk2 comment on the DR? Is it really that much of an issue? IMO people are complaining about 3 stops of DR, why are people under exposing by 3 stops?

I upgraded my 70D to a 6Dmkii in December, and last weekend finally managed to get out into Snowdonia with it and once I got back in front of the Mac screen the difference between the two was massive - definitely glad I upgraded. Interestingly I also noticed a big step up between the 650D I had previously (so very similar to your current 600D) to the 70D, so I think 650D to 6dMkii would be a great upgrade. In fact, even when cropped significantly the image quality is still great, and there is a noticeable improvement in the AF over my previous camera.

As for DR, I think that there is more flexibility for instance with dragging up shadows than I had previously, although I have no experience with the A7 range of Sony so cannot compare to this. Incidentally I did look into the A7ii but thought that if you take into account the cost of the equivalent lenses I would have for Canon it would be massively more ££££.

What I wish I would have known - my Yongnuo flash didn't work fully with the newer camera, so was a bit hit and miss when it was used, however I have since picked up a 430EX ii which works perfectly.

So in conclusion, I am more than happy that I upgraded from the 70D. At £900 for the body from grey retailers I think it is a cracking camera for the money. I don't get comments comparing it to the A7iii as this camera is £600 more, so more than +60%, plus the lenses would be more than the Canon equivalent?! If comparable in price I might have switched to Sony, and like I have said previously looked into the A7ii, but in the real world I have been really impressed so far especially considering the price tag.

Good luck with your choice :)

except for a similar price you can also get D750 or A7RII and that's damn good value too. And for a little more you can pick up X-T3, A7III, X-H1, E-M1ii and so on which are also very good value. When the canon's current FF DR performance is on the level of a sensor that's quarter it's size you got to really question if its worth the price tag of a FF body or even worth taking it seriously.
FTFY
There’ll be other advantages for the Canon over the EM1 and frankly in 30+ years of photography, I really can’t remember DR getting into the top 5 reasons I bought a camera YMMV but don’t pretend it’s the ONLY comparator, it makes you look a bit daft ;)

Hi All, I am seriously looking at the 6D Mk2 as an upgrade from my 600D. I feel it will be a worthy upgrade, especially as prices are now in the £950 region on Panamoz, HDEW.

Will be paring it up with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 and 50mm f1.8.

Can anyone who has purchased a 6D Mk2 comment on the DR? Is it really that much of an issue? IMO people are complaining about 3 stops of DR, why are people under exposing by 3 stops?
Honestly if you're asking what's the point of dynamic range. You shouldn't be upgrading your existing kit and instead learn with what you have now

Honestly if you're asking what's the point of dynamic range. You shouldn't be upgrading your existing kit and instead learn with what you have now
He didn’t ask what the point of DR was, he asked whether it’d be ‘much of an issue’.

FTFY
There’ll be other advantages for the Canon over the EM1 and frankly in 30+ years of photography, I really can’t remember DR getting into the top 5 reasons I bought a camera YMMV but don’t pretend it’s the ONLY comparator, it makes you look a bit daft ;)

I don't think people compared DR 30 years ago ;)

Definitely is not the only comparator but since the OP decided to ask only about DR that's all I mentioned.

He didn’t ask what the point of DR was, he asked whether it’d be ‘much of an issue’.
Well not to that wording but similar. It seems he or she doesn't even understand dyanmic range so I stand-by what I said.

Keep your existing gear

I wasn't asking the point of DR, I am aware of what it is. I was asking if it is as much of an issue as all the reviews are making out. Maybe I should've wording it differently. Thanks for your input.

I wasn't asking the point of DR, I am aware of what it is. I was asking if it is as much of an issue as all the reviews are making out. Maybe I should've wording it differently. Thanks for your input.
Only you can answer that. Do you increase the shadows a lot in your images?

Do you shoot high contract scenes?

Only you can answer that. Do you increase the shadows a lot in your images?

Do you shoot high contract scenes?

I don't overly increase the shadows in Lightroom, only where it needs doing, or when I need to recover some of the detail in the shadows.

Thanks for the replies all.

I think for around £900 its excellent value, most of the negative reviews were done when this camera was released and was priced at around £1700-£2000. Now though for £900, it's good value. If it was priced at lets say £1000 upon release, would it still have got all the bad press? What do we think?

I'm not a fan of Nikon, I like the ergonomics and menu systems in Canon, and I also have a 50mm 1.8, and Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2, and a 430EX.

Thanks for the replies all.

I think for around £900 its excellent value, most of the negative reviews were done when this camera was released and was priced at around £1700-£2000. Now though for £900, it's good value. If it was priced at lets say £1000 upon release, would it still have got all the bad press? What do we think?

I'm not a fan of Nikon, I like the ergonomics and menu systems in Canon, and I also have a 50mm 1.8, and Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2, and a 430EX.

depends on your use case really. What do you hope to get from a 6D2 that you don't get on say the original 6D?

I just think given enough time one can get used to most things as long as you don't find the body too small or too big.
This is a good time to swap since you are not heavily invested but at the same time if you are on a limited budget might be better to stick with canon.
I'd consider a 5D3 also, its an excellent robust body, more so than 6D(2)

Last edited:
What's a decent wide angle for the 6d mk ii ,it probably wont be the most used lens so don't want to spend a fortune.

The 17-40L is decent if you want a good cheap UWA.
Yes was debating that one, tamron 24 70 for the versatility or add the tamron 35 which will probably be wide enough on ff and would have other uses to.

The Tamron 17-35 is cheap as chips, build quality a bit cheap, but optically OK (btw the Canon 17-40L is only ‘Ok’ too).

Yes I've read that quite a lot ,I don't mind paying extra for quality rather than get something cheap and then not be happy with it , I have the tamron 45 1.8 which is excellent but that's as wide as I've got
The Tamron 17-35 is cheap as chips, build quality a bit cheap, but optically OK (btw the Canon 17-40L is only ‘Ok’ too).

I’ve just bought a second hand 6D mk2 my first full frame
Will mainly be using it for macro but am trying it out at the zoo today

In case anyone hasn't noticed there have been two new firmware updates:
v1.1.0
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements:

1. Enables NFC connection with smartphones running Android 10 operating system.
*For Android running v6.0 or later, use Camera Connect v2.7.10 or later.
*For Android running v5.0 or older, use a connection method other than NFC.

2. Enables support for the .CR2 image file format on image.canon.

This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware up to Version 1.0.5. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, this update is unnecessary.When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly.

v1.1.1
Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Updated language displayed in the menu to improve readability.

Firmware Version 1.1.1 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.1.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Notes:
Users manual in the WEB is updated accordingly. Please download the manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official WEB site.

Available at/near https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...dslr/eos-6d-mark-ii?subtab=downloads-firmware

The 17-40L is decent if you want a good cheap UWA.
I wasn't really thrilled with the 17-40L I was never happy with the images from it and I subsequently bought a Sigma 24 - 35 f/2 which I was much more happy with. I still have the 17-40 but then if I am using the 60D or my OH's 760D then the Sigma 10-20 is the choice lens for landscapes.

Back