1. soupdragon

soupdragon

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I had a 6d and got on with it just fine.
    The 6d2 appears to have improvements all round and is now really affordable.
    I just can't get to grips with why people bash it at every opportunity.
    If canon made it much better they'd never sell a 5D4.

johnf3f, niko and Phil V like this.
  2. Twigman

Twigman

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Having read this whole thread amd noting that nobody has posted on it for 3 months...and noting that grey market 6D2s are now available for less than £1k ....would it be correct to assume that nobody likes the 6D2?

To me it looks very similar to the 80D = plus FF sensor and GPS, minus inbuilt flash
    The 80D is rated highly

What am I missing?

I have a 80D currently and am considering going FF via the 6D2
    Would I be making a mistake?

Is the centre clustered AF really such an issue?
    Is the lack of 1/8000sec shutter speed really a hindrance?

3. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    These are mainly points that may be issues for some people and not at all for others.
    I think for a grand it’s an excellent camera.

snerkler likes this.
  4. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The sensor is no better than the old 6D. And on the whole it's really underwhelming when compared to something like D750 which is also older and similarly priced.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a stick :exit:

But if you are heavily invested in canon glass and can only afford a 6D2 you haven't got much else in terms of choice ;) (and before someone else tells me off it can of course take great pictures like every other camera body in the last decade :p )

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. User.82148

User.82148 Suspended / Banned

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Are they really less than £1k grey?

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Have you looked? ;-)

Twigman likes this.
  7. User.82148

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    No just being lazy :)

8. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just a bit over at HDEW & Panamoz

Archie747 likes this.
  9. Twigman

Twigman

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    and quite a bit under at e-infinity

SsSsSsSsSnake and Phil V like this.
  10. benj1867

benj1867

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So ive taken the plunge with a grey version of this. Ive fancied adding a full frame camera to my arsenal. Im comitted to Canon for the forseeable future and cant justify a 5d4. I thought about the 5d3 but i dont wanna sink another £300+ in a second hand version of older tech. I mainly shoot aviation with a little landscape and nighttime city so i believe this will be much more versatile than my current 7d2 for the latter and will complimentthe 7d2 in my main area of interest. I guess only time will tell if it turns out to be a white elephant or not.

cargo likes this.
  11. cargo

cargo

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Ben. I have the old 6d and love it ! I'm sure you will enjoy the mark 2 ;-)

Gaz

12. User.82148

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I find that quite amazing for a relatively new camera. The negative reviews must have had an impact, but it must the better than the original 6D and that by all accounts is a fine camera even if the AF system is limited. I briefly tried the camera two years ago and was impressed. I am considering a 6D to go with my 7Dii with the former mainly for landscapes and seascapes. If the 6Dii price keeps dropping I will seriously consider it.

Anybody with personal experience of both cameras or any useful links to reviews? I looked at reviews when it was first released and found them underwhelming.

13. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Archie747 likes this.
  14. Limla

Limla

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm enjoying my 6d2. Its a good camera and certainly an improvement on my old 80d which I really liked! Also saw this review from that Tony guy
    View: https://youtu.be/Cb1MKvmIujQ

15. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Another one to enjoy over a cuppa for you 6DmkII owners:

16. daffington

daffington

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've recently upgraded from a 5D Mark III to the 6D Mark II and am delighted with the decision. Whilst some will say the 5D III is a higher end camera, it definitely feels 'older' in many ways and the difference in tech was worth the move for me.

I wanted something with app remote control, touch screen and just a bit more up-to-date as sensor technology moves on so much in such a short space of time. I was also invested in Canon because I love the 24-70 f/2.8 and don't see myself finding a single lens I like more.

There's also a versatility about the 6D that I like, it does have this element of all-rounder about it.

It's a shame people are put off by the reviews, I recommend they instead look at something like Flickr and see the quality images that people produce with the 6D II and just pick based on your own requirements and budget.

17. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    People underestimate things like this. Once you get used to them, it's very hard go to something without. The flip out screen also, for many, is a must nowadays. I think it's excellent value for a FF camera right now.

18. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I just checked HDEW, wow!! The 6DII is now under the £1K mark on there at just £989 :eek: I am really tempted now

19. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  20. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

Sleep ... pfffft, stop telling me what to do, you're not my Dad! :mad:

:LOL:

I don't know what I'll end up buying if I sell my gear tbh. I won't be really sad if I don't anyway. Just fancy a change, I do miss FF at times.

SsSsSsSsSnake likes this.
  21. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Lol,well I’m saying no more (y)

Cagey75 likes this.
  22. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm only kidding, I would never use that angry smilie if I was actually annoyed :ROFLMAO:

The 6DII looks really good IMO, I don't get the bashing, most of it around YT seems to be because of the 4K - which I don't need, the one card slot - again, don't need, the one that does turn me off though is only 1/4000 shutter. For a FF camera that's pants. Also, it would have been much nicer with a joystick. But you gotta admit, for less than £1K, it is great value. Couple of cheap primes on top and I'd be good to go. But ... so many options lately

23. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I knew you were only joking.

I had 2 6d’s and loved them and certainly would love a Mk ii if I could afford it,

I would have thought 1/4000 would cover most stuff though. Ymmv.

As you say a lot of options around hence my original post lol.

It’s my mantra now after being so hasty in the past.its saved me lately a few times .:D

24. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

I've gotten too used to 1/16000th with electronic shutters, also silent - an ND filter would fix the speed thing though. I'd have to sell my gear to get it anyway, and when that happens I know I'll ponder even more

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  25. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That 2 stops is the same difference, as the DoF is the same from FF to M4/3.
    So your 1.4 On M4/3 has the same DoF as 2.8 on FF. Also, whilst not totally silent, in quiet mode the 6d shutter is impressive.

Oops I may have just added to your dilemna.

Cagey75 likes this.
  26. jjt

jjt

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi all, slight thread revival!

I posted a thread here recently: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ow-that-the-price-has-dropped-owners-opinions

Essentially - the negative reviews of the 6Dmkii were when it was a £2k camera; now grey versions are available for more like £900, would reviews be considerably more favourable, and is this camera a bit of a bargain now?

I'd love to hear the thoughts of any owners who have hands on experience, cheers everyone :)

27. swanseamale47

swanseamale47

Name:
    wayne clarke
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's pretty decent in low light, I had a look at images at 6400, not far behind the 5d4, not enough to matter IMHO.

28. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I’ve seen people frothing at the mouth over this, and often when they start quoting their ‘issues’ the 1 stop turns into examples using 2 or 3 stops :dummy:. (Same people who complain about DSLRs being ‘massive’ and dismiss the fact that my EOS 5 is bigger than my 6d):p

In reality, what do you really lose from f1.4 to f2?

If I’m honest, the slower sync speed compared to a 5d is a lot bigger issue in my ‘real world’. But the lighter smaller body makes up for it.

29. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Dafuq Phil, that was back in September I posted that and you already addressed it! :D I have no idea what I said or thought yesterday let alone 3 months back!

I don't froth over anything, not sure what kind of people you talk to :D I just know I like the faster shutter speeds when I'm shooting into direct sunlight, and this would be well stopped down

What I meant also was with a ML camera you can set it to Auto switch between mech shutter and ES, if I shoot in really bright conditions already stopped down to my desired aperture, if needed the camera will switch to the electronic shutter and use that extra stop. You can use a filter if you're wanting it the opposite end. You could argue what's the point of a filter, just stop down! It's all about options. Also I did add the silent nature of ES, that is really nice at times.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Phil V likes this.
  30. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The thread showed some unread, I never even noticed the age of your post when I replied, (and you weren’t the subject of the frothing comment) ;)

31. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Gotcha, I skim read at the best of times ;) But you know what I meant? it may be only an extra stop in shutter speed, but it's better to have than not. It's just surprising that a FF model is limited to 1/4000, but it's probably not a big deal to many. That's not why I gave up pondering on it though, I'm just too used to mirrorless at this stage, I'd find it hard to go back.

OT, I was at an event last week and the hired photographer was using a D810 and the 24-70, it had been a long time since I seen this combination and was amused at how huge it looked! [didn't help that the photographer was a tiny girl :D ] I was stood beside her at one point taking some group photos with the G80 + 12-40, pretty much the direct equivalent, and the size difference was fascinating to me. Looking at the differences on camera compare sites doesn't really do it justice

32. cargo

cargo

Name:
    Gary
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the link.
    I have not watched any reviews nor read any reviews before. Obviously heard all the bad press. I use the original 6d as a hobbyiest but really love the camera. I watched the above review and the others, linked above. I must say the 6d mark 2 looked great imo.

Gaz

Cagey75 likes this.
  33. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't have a 6d2 but at its launch a lot of people wanted something else; thay were critical of what it actually was.

If it is now available at roughly half launch price it must be a very good deal indeed.

34. Roadkill_6mm

Roadkill_6mm

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That’s what I figured when I picked one up from DigitalRev for less than half the price it originally launched at. I’ve not had much chance to play with it but from what I’ve seen so far I’m impressed.

jerry12953 likes this.
  35. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I honestly think the negatives against this camera were all highly exaggerated. If you don't tend to under expose all of your images and you're not planning to shoot sports then there's little to complain about, especially at the latest prices. If it had come out at that price level it would have been hailed. Everything just gets directly compared to the Sony FF offerings these days, but for anyone already invested in Canon lenses and not needing insane burst rates or DR, it seems a steal atm.