Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Mainly static car shots, portraits (read people/groups) and urban photo's. I have read about the strap issue. What would you recommend as a replacement?
Car shots - circular polarising filter

Strap - I haven't found one yet. The Black rapid system looks good but not a fan of the way it uses the tripod screw, especially since I prefer using my grip.

black rapid or optec - I have the rather stylish Talk Photography strap (optech i think) but i think marcy is out of those now

Does anyone find that their 70D tends to underexpose the images? Mine are much darker than I would have expected with my 600D

if anythingi'd say the otherway - mine seems to overexpose by about a stop - I constantly find myself dialling in stop of -ve EV

White we are talking bout exposure. Is there a way to dial it in M mode?

In Av and Tv modes I can dial in the exposure compensation. But in M mode I can only bracket the exposure.

Any clues?

In M mode if you want to increase the exposure by a stop you need to either select that much a longer shutter, narrower apperture or lower Iso - if you want to decrease the exposure likewise n the other direction

Thanks Chaps, I'm starting to get the hand of it now.

Hello all.

I'm taking the plunge this aft and buying a 70D. But just out of interest, I have the Canon EF-S 24-135 IS USM lens (that I use on my 20D & 50E), will this serve me just as well or am I better off buying the kit that includes the 18-135 STM lens? Would the benefits of the new lens justify the extra cost?

Thanks! :)

do you do a lot of landscape ? if so you might benefit from the extra 6mm of wide - if not probably not

tbh even if you do you might be better off keeping the 24-135 and getting a 10-18 as well

do you do a lot of landscape ? if so you might benefit from the extra 6mm of wide - if not probably not

tbh even if you do you might be better off keeping the 24-135 and getting a 10-18 as well

Hello mate.

I dabble with landscape now and again, but probably not enough to warrant the cost of the18-135... Heard it was faster, but again probably not enough to pay out the extra.

Personally if you're happy with the 24-135, I can't see the point in paying out for the 18-135.

I am my friend so I'll probably stick with what I know. Plus I'm not sure about the filter size of the 18-135, so that may create more expense, too. Think I'll just buy the body.;)

Well, no Canon 70D bought today; waited in Jessops a good 10 minutes; one salesperson was attending to one customer (who was cleary wasting his time) whilst the other - a young girl/woman - just stood there. She looked a few times, but never approached. So I walk over to the where the 70D was... Still nothing. I even cleared my throat, but still she stood there.

Now I admit I don't like being hassled in shops, but when you clearly show interest in something I find that's their cue to approach me. But like I said, nothing. With that I left. I did notice the other guy see me leave and he promptly looked at the girl who ignored me. Tbh I didn't see her reaction. Feel a bit miffed tbh. But not as miffed as I was walking back to the station when I dropped my HTC One and subsequently shattered two thirds of the screen. I guess now that I have to sort out a new phone? Outside forces and all that.

Sheesh!! :(

My canon 70d is an upgrade of my older canon 40d. One thing keep bothering me even after almost a year of use is why on earth have they taken away the 40d joystick. The little joystick in the back that controlled the focusing point? It was ideally placed, now it is akward to grab the arrows at the bottom and make it a much less stable handling experience.
I find it really annoying and make using the camera harder in the dark with finger having to reach further away. I think they should have put the wheel were the joystick use to be and bring the play bottom at the location of the current wheel.

Last edited:
My canon 70d is an upgrade of my older canon 40d. One thing keep bothering me even after almost a year of use is why on earth have they taken away the 40d joystick. The little joystick in the back that controlled the focusing point? It was ideally placed, now it is akward to grab the arrows at the bottom and make it a much less stable handling experience.
I find it really annoying and make using the camera harder in the dark with finger having to reach further away. I think they should have put the wheel were the joystick use to be and bring the play bottom at the location of the current wheel.

Must admit that is the only thing I miss from my 40d other than that I am very happy with my upgrade

Quiet an interresting read.
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-70d/fastest-sd-cards/

I quote:
"Although the Canon 70D supports UHS-I cards, it does not support SDR104 mode (104 MB/s bus speed) and is limited to 50 MB/s bus mode. Protocol overhead, writing separate files and limitations in the 70D reduce the measured write speed, resulting in a 36.4MB/s maximum average write speed. While many SD cards are capable of higher write speed, the 70D is the major limiting factor. Some cards perform better than others, but several measured around the 33-35MB/s write speed range in the 70D. Spending more for a card capable of 80-90MB/s write speed yields little benefit in the 70D.

In the continuous shooting test, the 70D took the first 7 RAW+JPEG shots before the frame rate dropped. The frame rate after the buffer filled varied between 0.5 and 0.9 frames per second in this test; faster cards provided a higher frame rate after the buffer filled...."

Is that really some 17-55 pictures? You like to get close to your subject ;-). Tiger, moto gp you live a dangerous life!
I have a sigma 17-50 f2.8. The 5mm longer for the canon couldn't justify the price almost double of the canon. Plus all the review seem to put the quality of the result on the sigma and canon very very close.

Is that really some 17-55 pictures? You like to get close to your subject ;-). Tiger, moto gp you live a dangerous life!
I have a sigma 17-50 f2.8. The 5mm longer for the canon couldn't justify the price almost double of the canon. Plus all the review seem to put the quality of the result on the sigma and canon very very close.

Well have managed to get real close to the motorbikes when I photographed the Czech TT in Horice for the road racing, think I used a 24-105 and 70-200 I was that close to the action :), the occasional straw bale was all between me at 200mph bikes, as for Tigers, hopefully there's a fence between me and him, although there was a time in the safari park in South Africa and a charging Rhino that got a bit close for comfort, but as a true photographer managed to get the shot, someone else was driving the minivan as we sped off :D, but all the shots above were taken with my 500mm.

I'll be taking alot of static car shots, car shows etc not sure if I should go with the 17-55 or 15-85

I'll be taking alot of static car shots, car shows etc not sure if I should go with the 17-55 or 15-85

The 17-55mm the faster lens giving you 2 extra f-stops of light over the 15-85mm which would be a big bonus for indoors shots, depends if you want the extra reach. Both lenses have their merits and second hand price about the same.

Hi all

Could do with some input please. I received my new 70D earlier this week. Haven't really had much time to try it out in good light until today but didn't think it was that sharp with my 17-55mm. This morning I compared some similar shots with the 17-55 on both my 700D and 70D and the 70D did look softer.

I decided to download a copy of FoCal, (I'd planned on doing this anyway at some point). This have given me the following results for MFA adjustment on various lenses.

Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 = W: +7, T: +8
Canon 17-55m f2.8 = W: +12, T: +11
Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 VC = W: +7, T: +6
Canon 50mm f1.4 = +16 (FoCal seemed to struggle with this one so ended up tweaking it manually with a rule.)

So it looks like there is some variance in the lenses but they all needed at least +6 MFA suggesting either they're all front focussing or the body might be off 0. I'm trying to figure out if this is acceptable/normal. If the body was spot on I'd have expected them to have been spread either side of zero or at least some closer to 0.

However I have been able to fine tune all of them with reasonable success and the 17-55mm is now as sharp on the 70D as it is on the 700D. So I seem to have a functioning setup at least.

Has anyone experienced this?

Back