Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

To be honest Duncan I would only be looking at transferring the occasional photo. It would be more to view images when I am on holiday or out and about.
you could view them like this but I use my MacBook Pro to view them via the supplied cable and USB / thunderbolt cable to let it connect to my iPad.

I find the ipad/camera wifi tether useful to browse the Sd card and delete my "rubbish" shots on the fly, before downloading to the pc. The EOS remote app allows for remote shooting too, very useful for macro work where its awkward to look through viewfinder or for setting the 70d on a tripod and capturing wildlife etc remotely. The camera's wifi signal is quite strong, so you can hide away quite nicely.

Thanks to the lovely Mrs Moose I have just become the proud owner of a 70D (she clearly got sick of me agonising between the 50D/70D/ and the 7D1) I was still stood there in wilkinsons camera saying well I dunno its a lot of money, how about credit etc and Mrs moose said "if you want it, i'll buy it for you" :clap:

I very nearly went for a second hand 5D2 for roughly the same price - but as many of my lenses are EFS decided that would be a bad idea

I was still stood there in wilkinsons camera saying well I dunno its a lot of money, how about credit etc and Mrs moose said "if you want it, i'll buy it for you" :clap:
Ive tried that in the past, never with success tho!!

Fair play!! Nice bit of kit..

If the 750 and 760 have a scroll wheel instead of those stupid arrow buttons found on all the other xxxDs then possibly - though they are cheaper so something has to have been left out to get the price down.

I think IQ wise they will be very similar, the 70d has a couple more dedicated buttons which are very handy and a faster burst rate and a better viewfinder, just bought a 70D for a similar price as the 760D with cashback,I don't intend to buy another camera for a very long time.

Last edited:
Do we think the 70D is better than the soon to be released 750D and 760D? I know there is no reviews yet but will they be on the same level do you think?
Based on having owned a 450D, 40D and a 50D, the build quality of the XXD's was far better, spec wise, Canon will be shooting themselves in the foot if the 750D and 760D perform as well as the 70D.
It would be interesting to see a spec comparison between the 760D and 70D but a quick google comes up with nothing at present.

Been looking at the many 60D's coming up for sale on eBay etc but wondered if there is a significant quality difference to pay the extra and go for a used 70D ??

Anyone have experience of both ??

Many thanks

Tony

Got mine on Friday and am blown away by it to tell you the truth. I used to have 60d sold it to downsize to rx100 mk11 didn't get on with that so sold it and bought a 40d to keep me going till I could afford the 70d. Either I've forgotten how good the 60d was or the 70d is a vast improvement either way it's much easier and nicer to use than the 40d. I'm currently using the sigma 17-50 f2.8 os which is a bloody nice lens, haven't yet tried the 70-200 f4 is yet! Roll on the sunny days!!!

Not sure if I have read it right but, does the 70D have a built in wireless flash trigger?

I don't think so, you need to had a hotshoe extra for this. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

What is everyone's favourite lens to use on there 70D?
Had mine a couple of weeks and been using a Tamron 17-50 non VC and my nifty fifty but thinking I may splash out on something else soon. Any recommendations? No budget.

At the moment i enjoy the versality of my sigma 17-50 f/2.8 so that pretty much the same as yours ;-/
Hard to advise for a lens without any idea of usage. But I have a sigma 11-16 f/2.8 i use for night photography. I also have a sigma 30mm f/1.4 (pre art line) and its a great bit of kit. I heard a lot of bad focus issue but mine has always been spot on, on my 40d like on my 70d.

Got mine on Friday and am blown away by it to tell you the truth. I used to have 60d sold it to downsize to rx100 mk11 didn't get on with that so sold it and bought a 40d to keep me going till I could afford the 70d. Either I've forgotten how good the 60d was or the 70d is a vast improvement either way it's much easier and nicer to use than the 40d. I'm currently using the sigma 17-50 f2.8 os which is a bloody nice lens, haven't yet tried the 70-200 f4 is yet! Roll on the sunny days!!!

We have pretty similar bags. A 40d a 70d and a sigma 17-50!
Just to say that i loved the 40d. Apart for the touch screen/rotating screen which is more usefull that i though, the 40d as the same usability.

I traded in my 550D for a 70D a couple of weeks ago and the weather has been so miserable I haven't even had a chance to give it a proper try out, so I've just been familiarising myself with it. Much different so the time hasn't been that wasted. I'm planning on using my 10-22 and 24-105 when I finally get to do some proper pic taking. They were great on the 550 and the only thing I'm starting to seriously fancy is a 70-300. First I need to get to proper grips with the 70D.

We have pretty similar bags. A 40d a 70d and a sigma 17-50!
Just to say that i loved the 40d. Apart for the touch screen/rotating screen which is more usefull that i though, the 40d as the same usability.

To be honest I barely used the 40d whilst I had it so I'm sure it was me just me being lazy and not properly getting to grips with it that hindered me!

I watched a YouTube video the weekend showing you how to use your off camera flash without a seperate wireless trigger.
Thing is I can only work out how to shoot the off camera flash with the pop up flash at the same time. Not sure if you can use it to fire your off camera flash on its own...[/QUOTE]

I watched a YouTube video the weekend showing you how to use your off camera flash without a seperate wireless trigger.
Thing is I can only work out how to shoot the off camera flash with the pop up flash at the same time. Not sure if you can use it to fire your off camera flash on its own...
[/QUOTE]
Don't use a flash myself but I've just read up about it in the manual, it seems you need the built in flash to trigger the external ones, don't know if this is the usual process or not.

What is everyone's favourite lens to use on there 70D?
Had mine a couple of weeks and been using a Tamron 17-50 non VC and my nifty fifty but thinking I may splash out on something else soon. Any recommendations? No budget.
Does "No budget" mean "No Money" or "I don't have a Budget"?

Personally, I like the 15-85 EF-S as a "walk around" lens, good zoom range, mine sems plenty sharp enough and the IS is very useful.

I've looked into this and unfortunately, the only way I have found is to use the pop up flash to trigger the off camera flash.
I don't normally use flash either, but the above is the way I interpret it.
Seems a bit contradictory to say it's "wireless" because ALL on board flashes will trigger a slave (provided it's within optical range).
"Wireless" to me implies it's got a radio transmitter that will trigger a remote flash without using the on-board flash.

Does "No budget" mean "No Money" or "I don't have a Budget"?

Personally, I like the 15-85 EF-S as a "walk around" lens, good zoom range, mine sems plenty sharp enough and the IS is very useful.

"No limit to my budget " :)

I don't normally use flash either, but the above is the way I interpret it.
Seems a bit contradictory to say it's "wireless" because ALL on board flashes will trigger a slave (provided it's within optical range).
"Wireless" to me implies it's got a radio transmitter that will trigger a remote flash without using the on-board flash.

Exactly what I thought!

i can confirm that you need to use the pop up flash to trigger a suitable off camera flash i use a yongnuo 565ex and its faultless .perhaps triggers will work but i know nothing about them

i can confirm that you need to use the pop up flash to trigger a suitable off camera flash i use a yongnuo 565ex and its faultless .perhaps triggers will work but i know nothing about them

Can you trigger the off camera flash on its own though? I have a Yongnuo 560 iii and I can only seem to fire the off camera flash and the pop up flash at the same time though?

Anyone using L lenses on there 70D?

I've had my eye on the 17-40 L or maybe even the 16-35 L IS. Will these work ok seeing as it's not a full frame sensor?
I used the 17-40 as my "walk around" lens on a crop camera for quite a while, and for some time it was my only lens.
I mostly take landscape and architecture and for me it worked very well.
The full-frame equivalent focal lengths are 28-65mm, so it nicely covers the "standard" focal length of 50mm.

However, if I were starting out with a crop body now I'd get the 15-85 EF-S, which I think is a great general purpose lens on a crop body (but it wasn't available when I bought my 30D).

I now use my 17-40 for extra-wide coverage on my 6D and I have the 15-85 as the everyday lens on my 70D.
When I went to FF I still had to buy a new "standard" lens (I chose the 24-105) since the 17-40 is too wide for everyday use on a Full Frame.
I'd really only consider the 17-40 (or 16-35) if you might go to full-frame in the future.

Last edited:
I used the 17-40 as my "walk around" lens on a crop camera for quite a while, and for some time it was my only lens.
I mostly take landscape and architecture and for me it worked very well.
The full-frame equivalent focal lengths are 28-65mm, so it nicely covers the "standard" focal length of 50mm.

However, if I were starting out with a crop body now I'd get the 15-85 EF-S, which I think is a great general purpose lens on a crop body (but it wasn't available when I bought my 30D).

I now use my 17-40 for extra-wide coverage on my 6D and I have the 15-85 as the everyday lens on my 70D.
When I went to FF I still had to buy a new "standard" lens (I chose the 24-105) since the 17-40 is too wide for everyday use on a Full Frame.
I'd really only consider the 17-40 (or 16-35) if you might go to full-frame in the future.

I've got lots to learn about photography before i go FF. Maybe i will have a look at the 15-85. Do you use it for landscapes as well as a general everyday lens? Whats the image quality like?

I've got lots to learn about photography before i go FF. Maybe i will have a look at the 15-85. Do you use it for landscapes as well as a general everyday lens? Whats the image quality like?
I don't tend to use the 70D much for landscapes, that's what I bought the 6D for.
For an "everyday" lens on the 70D (or any APS-C body) I'd say the 15-85 was ideal, it's just about the same price as the 17-40 and has IS as well.
At the wide end it's 24mm equivalent and at 85mm it equates to 135mm, which is a very useful range.
There's a review of the 15-85 here.
When I first got the 15-85 I had a wander around some of my favourite areas in London and I took a whole load of test shots with it on the 70D.
Here is a typical example taken near the shortest focal length, although it was a bright sunny day and the lens was well stopped down.
I've not noticed any major problems with CA, although it does appear in some shots but using Lightroom you can easily remove it.
The corners are pretty sharp, even near wide open.

Hermitage Basin by briangibson427, on Flickr

Last edited:

Also the various 18-50 f/2.8 are some good option for crop body and they are pretty cheap on the second hand market.
Lot's of people says how the tamron non vc was amazing and I think it cost around 160£
Myself I bought the sigma for around 230£ and it's a great lens.

has anybody used the 70d in camera hdr settings .was just wondering if it works..

has anybody used the 70d in camera hdr settings .was just wondering if it works..
The "HDR" settings only work with jpg files and I always shoot raw.
If I want HDR (which is rare) I'll shoot usually 3 bracketed shots (-2 stops, 0 and + 2stops) and blend them later when I have full control over them.

Anyone else using the Sigma 18-35 1.8 on their 70D? I use that, my 85mm & the 24-105 mainly :)

I used my newly purchase 70D for the first time in anger today and I have just the one question.

How do I silence the shutter button/release? I think the noise it makes could scare wildlife away

Back