Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Need to look for a good bag, want something as small as possible for traveling, need it to take the body and lens, not much else. Any suggestions?

Have a look higher up in the thread. I bought a lowepro. The smaller one didn't seem to suit the camera with kit lens.

Finally pulled the trigger on the 70D with 18-135 stm. Went with this over the 18-55 as it should give me more flexibility when traveling and with this being my first DLSR plenty of opportunity to learn what I like to shoot. Excited!!!

Need to look for a good bag, want something as small as possible for traveling, need it to take the body and lens, not much else. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the club (y)

I got the lowepro* toploader zoom 50aw which is a lovely snug fit for my 70D + f2.8 17-55 lens.
I don't think it would take a 18-135:shrug: but maybe another in the zoom range would OR one in the pro range as mentioned by omens.

(* other brands are available)

Looking online did not work for me, I had to go into my LCS and just tried all the bags until I found one I was happy with.

Finally pulled the trigger on the 70D with 18-135 stm. Went with this over the 18-55 as it should give me more flexibility when traveling and with this being my first DLSR plenty of opportunity to learn what I like to shoot. Excited!!!

Hi,

the ideal holiday lens on a budget, just used one for 3 weeks in Florida and it was superb.

1100 images and 170 video clips :)

Mike.

....The Toploader Lowepro 55 AW looks like it will accommodate your 70D + 18-135 STM lens.

http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-zoom-55-aw

Will fit a harness too I think.

Thanks for the replies. I will take a good look at them, the toploader looks like it might suit. Want something as small as possible for travelling, tourist trips etc. Can get something larger for all the kit when I don't need to be mobile or discreet.

Thanks for the replies. I will take a good look at them, the toploader looks like it might suit. Want something as small as possible for travelling, tourist trips etc. Can get something larger for all the kit when I don't need to be mobile or discreet.

....Any bag which provides protection for a 70D DSLR plus lens is not going to be what I would call discreet. Indeed, the 70D without any bag at all is hardly discreet, although it perhaps depends on your definition of the word.

To be truly discreet I think you need a truly compact pocketable camera such as a Sony RX100. The RX100 II will deliver very high IQ final results, especially if you shoot RAW.

But a bag for just going out with one DSLR body plus one lens is definitely desirable rather than one for all your gear together.

Hi all, had a look at the new 18-135 stm on a 70d yesterday, seems an excellent combination. Has anyone got pics taken with the combo, I took some test shots in the shop, but would like to see more from it.

Mike.

Last edited:
Hi,

most images with that combo HERE, although a few are with the 300mm F2.8L IS ( the closeups in the pool are mostly the 300mm).

These are just holiday snaps so I know some are crap, but it shows how good the 18-135 STM is, oh and its superb for video too;)

Mike.

Thanks Mike, it shows it to be a very capable lens. Have you got videos posted anywhere?

Just upgraded my LR4 to 5.2 £57 not too bad,at least i can go back to raw files instead of DNG:beer::)

Hi Guys, Has anyone tried the autofocus with an extender (x 1.4) fitted? I'm not sure if I'm reading it right but the Dual Pixel AF write ups seem to suggest that it will allow working AF at apertures smaller than f5.6 which might be great for my 70-200f4 l. Also is A1Servo any different/better on the 70D than 60d; I'm thinking BIF here? Any views from those who've tried appreciated. Thanks John

Looking at the DPReview article it looks like the Dual Pixel autofocus performs better than phase detect, makes you wonder if mirrorless cameras will start to out perform DSLRs in certain situations, maybe even over time as the processing speed gets faster they'll be as good as tracking as Phase detect is.

Here's hoping the EOS-M mk II uses the same style sensor :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Has anyone tried the autofocus with an extender (x 1.4) fitted? I'm not sure if I'm reading it right but the Dual Pixel AF write ups seem to suggest that it will allow working AF at apertures smaller than f5.6 which might be great for my 70-200f4 l. Also is A1Servo any different/better on the 70D than 60d; I'm thinking BIF here? Any views from those who've tried appreciated. Thanks John

You'll be able to use your 70-200 f4L with a 1.4x extender without any problems as the extender will take the lens to an f5.6 max and the camera can handle that easily. I've used a 2x extender on my 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII and got some cracking photos from it. I use AI Servo nearly all the time and have got some good BIF shots, not great though, because it's been a bit difficult due to the dull weather recently. Here's a static bird shot with the 70-200 and 2x extender at f8 on a nice sunny day. It's SOOC, only had a crop and no other PP.

Yorkshire Bird
by modchild, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a fabulous quality photo, Stuart.

Can you tell me please how a Canon 2x Extender would effect the Canon 70-200 f4L (a lens I'm considering) - On a 70D of course.

That is a cracking bird shot.:clap:(y)

That's a fabulous quality photo, Stuart.

Can you tell me please how a Canon 2x Extender would effect the Canon 70-200 f4L (a lens I'm considering) - On a 70D of course.

Hi Robin, a 2x extender costs 2 stops of light to the lens, whereas a 1.4x costs you 1 stop, giving an f4 lens a maximum aperture of f8 with a 2x and f5.6 with a 1.4x.

Canon have made all their cameras AF with a minimum of f5.6, apart from the 1D series and the 5D3 with new firmware which will AF with a minimum of f8 lenses so using a 2x on an f4 lens means you'd lose AF. There are various 3rd party extenders that might still allow AF but there's no guarantee. You can of course use MF to get the shot but that might slow you down enough to lose the shot.

In 'very good light' you might still get AF, I had a Canon 100-400 L f4.5-5.6L IS and with a Kenko Pro300 DGX, making it an f8 at the long end and I could still acquire AF at a decent speed and with good IQ on a 7D and a 650D so with a Kenko 2x you might still acquire AF with an f4 lens but it would be a big gamble. My Canon 2x extender wont fit either of my Canon f4 lenses (24-105 and 17-40) as they're not compatible so I can't try it out. If I'd still got the 70-200 f4 I could of tried it easily for you as the 70-200 is compatible.

Thanks for the kind comments about the bird shot, I'm quite proud of that one.

Last edited:
All that information is extremely helpful, Stuart (y) Thank You!

A very good friend of mine has a Canon 2x (which he uses with a Canon f2.8L 100-200 on a 5D3) so in due course I could pop it all on the 70D with 70-200 f4 L and see what happens, or what doesn't happen!

Last edited:
Morning all
I'm still contemplating the purchase of a 70D(I have a 50D at the moment) and would be very grateful if any current owner(s) could let me know;
1) I have a Canon 17-55. If used for video recording on the 70d to what extent will I notice the Af noise of the lens? Does it really depend on the background noise level? Asking because I'm not sure if to buy the body only or body and kit lens.
2) Does the 70D offer an "aperture and shutter" priority mode - if that's what it's called? For example, I would like to be able to set both aperture & shutter to settings of my choice and have the camera balance the correct exposure via auto ISO.
Many thanks

1) I have a Canon 17-55. If used for video recording on the 70d to what extent will I notice the Af noise of the lens? Does it really depend on the background noise level? Asking because I'm not sure if to buy the body only or body and kit lens.

I've got the same dilemma.

Youtube has some videos shot with the 17-55.

Morning all
I'm still contemplating the purchase of a 70D(I have a 50D at the moment) and would be very grateful if any current owner(s) could let me know;
2) Does the 70D offer an "aperture and shutter" priority mode - if that's what it's called? For example, I would like to be able to set both aperture & shutter to settings of my choice and have the camera balance the correct exposure via auto ISO.
Many thanks

Hi, I'll answer the easy question first. Yes, the 70D does have the 'aperture and shutter priority' modes and both work very well with auto ISO. I have my auto ISO set to 1600 and I get very good IQ from that setting. It comes with the usual Program and Manual mode as well and also has Bulb for long exposures as well as some creative scene and other modes that I've never used. I suppose I should go through them all at some time to see if there's any of them that are useful but I tend to stick to AV, TV and M.

You can use your 17-55 in manual focus and you wont get any focus noise but with AF you will generate some noise on the sound track when auto focussing. The new STM lenses are designed to eliminate as much focus noise as possible and when I've used the wifes 40mm STM pancake to try the video on my 70D it is indeed virtually silent. You have to have the audio level up high to hear anything at all and it doesn't happen very often. I think a lot would depend on the actual focussing noise of the lens and many of the Ultrasonic lenses are very quiet while my 35 f2 gives off a very audible whirr when focussing. If you are worried about the focus noise then maybe look into the new 18-55 STM which looks to be a good performer for not a great outlay.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry for any confusion, but what I meant to ask is whether the 70D has a mode (other than manual) whereby you can set the aperture AND shutter speed at the same time, leaving the camera just to balance the exposure with auto ISO. I am sure that I have read somewhere that this is referred to as "shutter and aperture priority" mode as distinct from separate "aperture" and "shutter" priority modes which I use most of the time on my 50d. Hopes this makes sense.

Last edited:
whether the 70D has a mode (other than manual) whereby you can set the aperture AND shutter speed at the same time
No. There's no "adjust only aperture and shutter" mode. You can use P (program) mode and then change the aperture/shutter speed to maintain the same exposure. You half-press the shutter and then turn the control dial. This will change the aperture and shutter speeds to various levels, all with the aim of maintaining the same exposure. However, you can't change each individually. Otherwise, you will have to use Manual mode but leave the ISO at Auto-ISO.

whether the 70D has a mode (other than manual) whereby you can set the aperture AND shutter speed at the same time, leaving the camera just to balance the exposure with auto ISO.

....As omens says, you can choose P-mode and balance the aperture/speed in any combination as you wish by turning the control wheel, but that balance will be within any of the ISO parameters which you have already preset. It's a 2-way balance but not a 3-way balance.

goinggreynow, you can choose to prioritise any of the ISO, aperture, speed values, and these are the fundamental building blocks of photography so I don't understand what else you are wanting to achieve that can't be achieved already.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the previous 2 replies. Basically, when I shoot motor sport I sometimes want to be able to determine both my shutter speed AND aperture. Example - I will sometimes shoot at say 1/30 but also want to be able to set my aperture (reasonably) close to wide open to achieve narrowest depth of field possible. The "balancing" element is then the (auto) iso. What I am trying to avoid is to set my shutter speed to 1/30 in TV And then let the camera decide on the aperture value. Anyway as previously explained earlier, it looks as though this is not a setting available on the 70d so it's probably a case where I have to revert to shooting in manual. Thanks again for the replies.

it looks as though this is not a setting available on the 70d so it's probably a case where I have to revert to shooting in manual. Thanks again for the replies.

....Yep, Manual mode gives you the most control. You just have to choose which range of ISO suits your desired shots best. (y)

I can't think of any camera I know which does things any differently.

Last edited:
Got my 70D today, was my birthday present from my fiancee. Only taken snaps around the house so far but am already extremely impressed with it. Huge upgrade from my 40D.

Can't wait to get out to some tracks and do some panning.

Mine arrived today, well delivery was yesterday but I was out and had to go to the depot. Will get it on charge as soon as I get home and hopefully have time for a little play later.

I am sure you will both love the 70D,it is a brilliant camera.:)(y)

Looking for recommendations for a wide angle lens for use with the 70D,as i want to do more landscape stuff now.:)(y)

Either the Canon or Sigma 10-20mm would give you some very nice wide shots. The Tamron 10-24mm doesn't seem to get the same results in reviews though but it depends on your budget and really how wide you want. I used my Canon 17-40 f4L on my 70D and it's still wide enough for my wants but maybe not your needs.

Cheers for that Stuart i was looking at the sigma 10-20mm funny enough,it looks not too bad,i used to have the 17-40 & i am sorry i sold it.:)(y)

Back