Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Just picked up my new DSLR today, another 7D (y)

After buying one at launch and finally outing it 6 months ago in favour of a couple of M4/3 Panasonic cameras, I have gone full circle :help:

I have spent months deliberating and review reading but for ME I don't think there is a better 'all round' body....

So 7D'ers, a couple of questions....

Grip - worth it or not?
What lens have you got on yours the most? (I have bought a 24-105L as my walkabout choice)

Hi

If you want a grip for battery life, then don't bother. I get upwards of a thousand shots per charge - just get one if you need the extra buttons,

I have a stack of lenses but struggle to get anything sharp!!

Regards

Mike

I can never really see the point of a grip for battery power, just carry spare in your pocket, that said it seems to last a fair long time, and I've managed for nearly a year with just the one, recently bought a 3rd party at an affordable price which works fine.

Don't have a grip at present, but it's on the list. As for lenses, I find that the 17-55 f2.8 IS makes a decent combination, and the 70-200 f2.8 IS is pretty good too.

Steve

I havent got my 7D yet, I would grip it though, if I used on board flash a lot, and also gives extra balance to the camera with big lens for hand held

Last edited:
Please could I book my place on this thread - I get my 7D next week. :D

All my cameras have been gripped (even my OM1 if you count the winder).

I like the feel of large heavy cameras (specially when using long lenses which is most of the time). Hence the K20.

On my second 7d, purchased at launch, swapped to 5d mkII as I had probs now I have another in addition to the 5d for telephoto work . Originally had the grip but hardly ever use the 7d in portrait so didn't bother the second time around as the bat power is so good , less bulk too.
I use the 24-70L, sig 17-70,canon 100 macro,70-200 2.8L,nifty fifty and siggy 150-500 on her but I find the 24-70L brings a little extra to the image quality closely followed by the 70-200 and 100mm.The 17-70 gives great quality for a budget lens but I do miss by 17-55 is as it was the best all round lens I've used on the 7d .

Great stuff, thanks.

I am considering a grip for the ergonomics rather than the extra battery power as, like others, find the battery more than sufficient.

Maybe I'll get a flash instead?

Found a custom func that I didn't see last time I had a 7d - when reviewing on the LCD it will show the focus points that were used for each shot (y)

Anyone recommend a good hotshot mounted stereo microphone? Didn't use the video before but intend to have a play this time around.

Love my 7D, never bother with a grip, I just take a spare battery with me just in case.

These things are heavy enough as it is with a decent lens on, so I don't feel the need to add extra weight just for battery life.

I use a 15-85 as my walkabout and love the image quality it delivers... but I also love the pics it delivers with my 70-200 f4 and of course off camera flash with no cables when using my 100mm L IS USM :)

ive got the grip on mine, simply because my little finger isnt on the camera when i hold it without, its not comfy like that, so grip gives that bit extra to hold onto and balances the camera better

I am considering getting the grip, to improve the feel. Took more portrait shots recently and found it much more difficult on the larger camera.
I would always have at least 1 spare battery with me though that is not in the camera.
Storage cards can be picked up almost anywhere nowadays, but batteries cannot.
That said, I get upwards of 800 shots over a day easily off of one battery, and all the lenses I use regularly (all of the lenses I use now apart from the 10-22 ) have IS, which is a decent pull on battery power I would think. (100-400L with IS and rapid shooting for birds for example)

I've been considering the grip - even more so now that Amazon have them for under £140 new.

I really should spend a good amount of time tinkering with the AF though - anyone got any tips / guides?

ive got the grip on mine, simply because my little finger isnt on the camera when i hold it without, its not comfy like that, so grip gives that bit extra to hold onto and balances the camera better

+1 - and it looks the business!!

I have quite big hands so it is more for comfort than power, also the button in portrait mode eases the strain on the wrist. I've always gone for the 'import' option @ £35-ish rather than an OE version.

For lens my workshorse is L-Series 24-105 - got some stunningly sharp pictures the other day (surprised myself even!) - I think my technique needs work to consistently deliver. Fall back on L-series 70-200 for mid-range, and Sigmas 10-20 and 150-500 for the extremes.

Enjoy

Andy

Great guides Richard

I have now managed to take 15 pictures with the new 7D (y)

5195135150_11594a4eaa_b.jpg

5195133124_e7b429e03c_b.jpg

Might even get some snow by the end of the week!

I want to put a place in this thread.

Hopefully by christmas I'll have mine... Been saving long enough! Anyone got anymore sample shots?

Also, has anyone used their 7D with a Tamron 10-24 lens?

I want to put a place in this thread.

Hopefully by christmas I'll have mine... Been saving long enough! Anyone got anymore sample shots?

Also, has anyone used their 7D with a Tamron 10-24 lens?

Hi Dean
Plenty of examples in my Flickr

Hi Dean
Plenty of examples in my Flickr

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that! I see your from Southend too!
How random to find someone from the same town!

Also, some great shots there! Love the one at the party!

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that! I see your from Southend too!
How random to find someone from the same town!

Also, some great shots there! Love the one at the party!

Indeed, small world and thanks

Ive not used the tamron ultra wide, but have used and can recommend the sigma 10-20

Must admit never had a grip on a camera and could never see what all the fuss was about, however I would not be without it now. I find it balances the camera nicely, especially with the 100-400L. Also have been doing a fair bit of studio work recently and the grip makes things so much easier in portrait mode. With regard to an everyday lens I have the 24-105L on mine more often than not and find this a great lens.

Well as with any other firmware update, nice and easy. Camera still alive. I don't have any issues with the camera anyway so probably won't notice any changes!

Reference the firmware update - coming from a computer stand-point, I've always worked under the premise that if you're not experiencing any problems, especially those listed in the 'fixed list' of a new firmware/bios, then don't tempt fate by updating. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Should I not apply the same logic to a camera firmware update?

While I'm here, I have a question about the viewfinder. Mine appears to be a bit dark.

It's as if the DoF Preview button is always on, albeit only slightly. I don't remember it always being like that, so I thought I'd ask for comparisons here.

I've tried different lenses and there's no change. I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me, but it appears more prevalent around the edges, as if there's a circular area centre screen, where it's lighter.

There's nothing on the LCD or the pictures.

Last edited:
Reference the firmware update - coming from a computer stand-point, I've always worked under the premise that if you're not experiencing any problems, especially those listed in the 'fixed list' of a new firmware/bios, then don't tempt fate by updating. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Should I not apply the same logic to a camera firmware update?

For computers, I tend to apply the same logic.

However camera manufacturers have a habit of applying stealth fixes and general improvements that are not listed in the actual fixes. For example I found a firmware update when I had a 50D improved low ISO noise. I never realised there was a problem until it improved - and I tracked the improvement back to the time I updated.

Just upgraded form a 400d to a 7d in October. Santas just brought me a Canon 17 - 40 L USM and a Canon 24 - 70 L USM lens. I must have been a good boy this year :D

Last edited:
Hi all

A bit off-topic but 7D related, nonethless, so thought this might be the place to ask the following:

I currently shoot wildlife with a 1D3 using a Canon 100-400L and ocassionally using a non-reporting Kenko converter to give, effectively, an 800 f11.2 at the long end. Obviously this set-up needs good light but it does work ok. I also have a 60D and this sort-off works with a Canon EFII x1.4 converter with taped pins ie. in high contrast situations. So, given the 7D has a more sophisticated AF mechanism than the 60D will the 7D body/100-400 lens/taped up or non-reporting x1.4TC combination work well together ?

Does anyone here have experience of using this or a similar set-up ?

If so, I would be interested in a 7D for focal length restriced situations.

If not, I am fairly happy with what I currently use but, like many, I ALWAYS yearn for more FL but am reluctant to go down the the big prime route.

Any feedback on this would be very much appreciated.

Gary

I have had my 7d since August as an upgrade from my 40d but i am finding its limitations already and considering the 5dII.

Has anyone else considered this ?

I went from a 5D2 to a 7D....They both have their pro's and cons

what "limitations" are you finding with the 7D ?

I went from a 5D2 to a 7D....They both have their pro's and cons

what "limitations" are you finding with the 7D ?

I made the same move and i'm more than happy with the 7D, also very intrested in these "limitations", can't seem to find them anywhere :cautious:

IMO the limitations are with the ISO capabilites - i understood that the 2 were similar IQ but having seen a number of comparisons i now know differently

I am not slagging off the beloved 7d as its fantastic for sports and events, just wondered if anyone else had made the change

The 5DII will blow the 7D out of the water in terms of ISO capabilities thanks to its full frame sensor.

Do you use any noise reduction software on your pics ? I found even at 3200 ISO I could clean my images up quite nicely on the 7D

yes i use the Imagenomic noiseware plugin for CS5 and whilst i can get some good results, nothing beats getting it right in camera does it

Maybe i'll drop my old 40d and aim for a 5DII aswell as the 7D as i absolutely love the focusing capabilities :) (y)
Or i could scrimp and save all year to get the 1DIV (which is what i would like best)

Last edited:
The 1DIV is a beast. Not quite full frame, not quite 1.6x crop. Plus super quick AF.

I did toy with the idea of a 5D2 (or even a 5D1) and the 7D but in the end I couldnt see myself with 2 cameras.

That said, I didn't really have an issue with noise on the 7D. I'd never go above 1600 if I could help it, but did venture into 3200 sometimes. Once I got out of the habit of pixel peeping at 100% I was much happier :D

I got my 7D on the 27th Dec, not really used it yet though just checked out the functions and reading the manual and watching a few videoes on using it, and getting the feel of it

Last edited:
I've always been happy with my 7d. I will happily shoot as 3200 in order to get the shot. I'll even hit 6400 and leave a bit of noise in there after LR does its thing. As long as I get the shot I want / need. I don't mind a bit of noise. However, I would love the ISO capabilities of the 5d mkII and often have dark thoughts about it. If the 5d mkIII comes out with the 7d's autofocus then Canon would be onto another fine selling product.

got my 7D a few weeks a go. upgraded from a pocket compact! bought in kit form with a 15-85mm. so far so good really enjoying the video capture capabilities and the pictures are amazing - but so much to learn and practise.

Back