Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I thought they would have 'leaked' some info on the 90D by now tbh, keep people's interest.

On the M lens, at least you know it's coming, be nice to see them do a couple more, like an 85 1.4 and a 2.8 zoom

I thought they would have 'leaked' some info on the 90D by now tbh, keep people's interest.

On the M lens, at least you know it's coming, be nice to see them do a couple more, like an 85 1.4 and a 2.8 zoom

I agree but, like Phil, I would love an 85mm f/1.4 but I wonder if Canon would see a demographic for what we would call ‘sensible’ primes.

The current 2 has (in my words) the standout 22mm f/2 pancake and the ‘lacklustre’ 28mm macrolite f/3.5 macro. The EF-S 35mm has the led ringlight too! I hated it from just looking at it!

The 22mm is offered with the M100 and M6 in some markets and was supposed to be bundled in Europe.

We stand not yet spec-savvy on the EF-M 32mm but I sincerely hope it is about outstanding optics and not bells and whistles.

The 90D needs to really have some major improvements over the 80D. Canon’s budget to upper mid range calalogue has a ‘swollen’ look to it and the range of colours adds to that mix.

A 90D will need some very high spec additions that will attract thr 70D/80D user base.

The M series covers 95% of my needs so do I see a 90D in my bag? No, not unless I win one.

I am 63 today and past wanting to carry a large kit bag, and with 2 strokes under my belt, why would I. When I use my motorhome, I can carry more but realistically, I don’t need it!

FF M series on the other hand...... if it can take on Sony’s mirrorless - it would be a yes and I would dump my 5D2 in a heartbeat.

I agree but, like Phil, I would love an 85mm f/1.4 but I wonder if Canon would see a demographic for what we would call ‘sensible’ primes.

The current 2 has (in my words) the standout 22mm f/2 pancake and the ‘lacklustre’ 28mm macrolite f/3.5 macro. The EF-S 35mm has the led ringlight too! I hated it from just looking at it!

The 22mm is offered with the M100 and M6 in some markets and was supposed to be bundled in Europe.

We stand not yet spec-savvy on the EF-M 32mm but I sincerely hope it is about outstanding optics and not bells and whistles.

The 90D needs to really have some major improvements over the 80D. Canon’s budget to upper mid range calalogue has a ‘swollen’ look to it and the range of colours adds to that mix.

A 90D will need some very high spec additions that will attract thr 70D/80D user base.

The M series covers 95% of my needs so do I see a 90D in my bag? No, not unless I win one.

I am 63 today and past wanting to carry a large kit bag, and with 2 strokes under my belt, why would I. When I use my motorhome, I can carry more but realistically, I don’t need it!

FF M series on the other hand...... if it can take on Sony’s mirrorless - it would be a yes and I would dump my 5D2 in a heartbeat.

I have an interest in combining something like an 80D with one of the M bodies on the side. But I know my luck, if I bought an 80D anytime soon, they'll announce the 90D right after, and it'll be more of what I want, and nicely priced too. The 80D was the camera I very nearly switched to when I gave up on Nikon, but Fuji lured me in more so. Now the main difference between cameras I would be looking at are very few. I think they're all very capable nowadays, can't really go wrong. I like my current G80, it's got things going for it the M cameras don't,. but then the M bodies are attractive because I'd like to adapt ef-s lenses, there's a bunch I'd like to try. They just lack ... something! Whether it's solid IBIS or weather sealing or 4K [last thing I look for tbh, but it's nice to have] or a better native lens selection [that mostly I guess]

I have an interest in combining something like an 80D with one of the M bodies on the side. But I know my luck, if I bought an 80D anytime soon, they'll announce the 90D right after, and it'll be more of what I want, and nicely priced too. The 80D was the camera I very nearly switched to when I gave up on Nikon, but Fuji lured me in more so. Now the main difference between cameras I would be looking at are very few. I think they're all very capable nowadays, can't really go wrong. I like my current G80, it's got things going for it the M cameras don't,. but then the M bodies are attractive because I'd like to adapt ef-s lenses, there's a bunch I'd like to try. They just lack ... something! Whether it's solid IBIS or weather sealing or 4K [last thing I look for tbh, but it's nice to have] or a better native lens selection [that mostly I guess]

Agree

The M50 has 4K but a crippled 4K which covers my meeds. That said, I have an original M body with Magic Lanteen loaded which is great, again for my needs.

A good friend is offering me his very complete Fuji kit but I sm resisting in the hope he will change his mind.

I am comfortable with my kit in reality. The whole Canon mainstream lenses will ada to the M series bodies.

Nicer colours :exit:

I know the feeling. I have been on the lookout for an Arca Swiss plate for my M5 but only for tripod moments.

If you discover an A- plate that meets your needs do let it be known.

....If I find something I'll certainly post the information here.

I had the operation on my shin early Monday, had a session with the consultant just after lunch and all good so far. Hoping to be out by Saturday and rehab next week so hoping to resume my photo project mid September.

I could be tempted to modify an A-S plate, it should not be too crazy to do. My aerospace background in the mid 1970’s was on the then new Tornado MRCA (later F2/F3). I should be able to get something done. (Famous last words)!

....Wishing you a speedy but solid recovery! It sounds as if you are over the worst.

With your experience and if you have access to the right tools, it sounds as if you could modify a plate without bodging it.

....If I find something I'll certainly post the information here.

....Wishing you a speedy but solid recovery! It sounds as if you are over the worst.

With your experience and if you have access to the right tools, it sounds as if you could modify a plate without bodging it.

I have not done too much ‘hands on’ fabrication for many many years but I must admit to being tempted.

I am off my legs currently.

It seems odd that an A-S plate has not landed from China yet. I know that the M5-M50 may not have been regarded by Canon as a potential ‘system’ for a amateur/semi pro ‘kit’ but
results oh here are really impressive.

I was skeptical, then began to become more interested as they slooooowly [irritatingly] revealed it, but now I'm back to thinking 'meh' ... they could have lured everyone in but there's a number of things lacking that will make it mostly appeal to current Nikon owners.

Only 3-axis stab for non-native lenses, no touch-screen focus when looking through the evf, no eye detect af, nothing akin to Canon's dual af system for video or stills, only the one card slot and no flip-out screen.

Shot selves in foot much?

It seems odd that an A-S plate has not landed from China yet. I know that the M5-M50 may not have been regarded by Canon as a potential ‘system’ for a amateur/semi pro ‘kit’ but
results oh here are really impressive.

....When I decided to seriously consider buying a M5 I naturally researched and read everything I could find. Included in this was an official Canon representative (sorry, I can't remember his name) being interviewed on video about the M5 after launch and what sold it for me was that he stated very clearly that the M5 was consciously designed to be a valid part of the EOS D-SLR system and its range of EF mount lenses via its adapter. In other words it was designed and intended for both amateur/semi pro as well as those only wanting a compact camera with its own lenses.

I only use EF lenses on my M5 - Nothing else and mostly my EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro but also my Canons 24-70mm and 8-15mm (10-15mm when on crop sensor body). Surely I am not alone in this type of use.

Happy birthday Steve - I hope the year ahead is better than the year behind!

Cheers

As sometimes happens, you get an injury and it is sod’s law that you get another in rhe same place!

Ah. Well, I get to spend yime with my grandchildren. My partner will have finished her contract in New England nest week so I will have dome assistance getting around!

Onwards

Thank you for your kind thoughts

Steve

I believe the sensor in the m100 is same as in M5, has anyone found the metering under or over and if so how much do you compensate,thanks

Last edited:
I believe the sensor in the m100 is same as in M5, has anyone found the metering under or over and if so how much do you compensate,thanks

I have the M100, the reviews on the M100, M5, M6 and M50 suggest that the sensors are identical and are based on the Canon 80D sensor. In general usage so far, I've not felt the need to adjust the exposure, I shoot mainly in Aperture Priority and use RAW. This is in marked contrast to some of my M43 cameras where I find I need to use exposure compensation quite a lot.

I have the M100, the reviews on the M100, M5, M6 and M50 suggest that the sensors are identical and are based on the Canon 80D sensor. In general usage so far, I've not felt the need to adjust the exposure, I shoot mainly in Aperture Priority and use RAW. This is in marked contrast to some of my M43 cameras where I find I need to use exposure compensation quite a lot.

I agree re the M5/M6 sensors being identical, Canon apparently confirmed that before USA release.

I am unsure of the M50 though, which I also have, as,on occasions, and with the M5/M50 in use,both with the 22mm pancake lenses fitted at the same time (I have 2), on the same camera settings, the results are different. Things like colour separation and exposure. When I get back (on my legs, I will have onother go. It could be as simple as each lens batch having a slight difference in the front element. So, from my point of view, it piqued my interest only. In any case, life is too short to go all ‘anorak’!

Steve

I normally expose half a stop to the right with Canon (started with my 50D) as I always felt they under exposed slightly and have carried on doing so ... I usually end up going the other way with my Pentax cameras.
Going all the way back to the 20d, but I have it set on 1/3rds, and I'm often on +2/3 of a stop, though it can go both ways, Canon's latest metering isn't radically different from it's predecessors, it has been improving, but not enough for me to just leave it alone.

Ive been away for the past week, so got a bit of catching up to do.
I went to Scotland for a week, inc going to the Edinburgh Tattoo. Normally id take my 5D4, and indeed it was packed, but at the last min i took my M50 instead. What made this different was i took my 24-70 f/2.8 mkii and 70-300L, instead of the 18-135 or 18-150. Its really the first time ive used the 24-70 on the M50, and i wasnt sure it would be wide enough. I did also take the 11-22 but used it more for when i wanted that look, rather than needing it.
I found i was swapping lenses a lot. Although i love the 24-70, it just seemed to not be long enough a lot of the time, so the 70-300 was on and off quite a bit. Had i taken the 5D4 those two lenses would have done well, even though the reach was reduced. i really do love the 70-300 on a crop.
While my composition isnt great, i could definitely see an increase in IQ uisng the 24-70, and it helped me get a bit more creative. it was nice having a low DOF.

What really knocked me out was the OOC JPG's. Because IOS cant work with .cr3 files i was shooting RAW +jpg, with the idea that i could play with the JPGs in LR mobile on my ipad, and do some proper editing when i got back home once i loaded the raw files up. To be honest i really didnt need to bother with the Raw files, the JPG were wonderful. They needed a bit of work to get them how i wanted them to look, but on the whole they needed much less work that the Raw files need. Its the first itme ive really used JPG from a proper camera, but i might stick with it and see how things go.

Anyway, sorry for going on and on, here are a few (from the raw files) from the first half of the holiday. Some look a bit over saturated so i need to fix that at some point. The perils of editing on an iPad i guess.

IMG_1489
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

IMG_1275

IMG_1228

IMG_1155 by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

IMG_1350

Huh, more MP doesn't mean bigger sensor.

You are quite correct. I should have worded it better.
As in having the space for the larger megapixel sensor AND the flexibility to pack extra functionality without needing the mechanics of the mirror assembly. Equally as seen with other mirrorless bodies there is also the potential for a compact full frame approach. I am not sure which way I would want it to go. The chunkiness of my old 5D2 suits but, asI said in an earlier post, I would be interested in the FF Canon mirrorless.

You are quite correct. I should have worded it better.
As in having the space for the larger megapixel sensor AND the flexibility to pack extra functionality without needing the mechanics of the mirror assembly. Equally as seen with other mirrorless bodies there is also the potential for a compact full frame approach. I am not sure which way I would want it to go. The chunkiness of my old 5D2 suits but, asI said in an earlier post, I would be interested in the FF Canon mirrorless.

I think a lot of people would be interested in a DSLR size mirrorless, especially those that use large zooms / primes.

....When I decided to seriously consider buying a M5 I naturally researched and read everything I could find. Included in this was an official Canon representative (sorry, I can't remember his name) being interviewed on video about the M5 after launch and what sold it for me was that he stated very clearly that the M5 was consciously designed to be a valid part of the EOS D-SLR system and its range of EF mount lenses via its adapter. In other words it was designed and intended for both amateur/semi pro as well as those only wanting a compact camera with its own lenses.

I only use EF lenses on my M5 - Nothing else and mostly my EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro but also my Canons 24-70mm and 8-15mm (10-15mm when on crop sensor body). Surely I am not alone in this type of use.

I tend towards using my M cameras with lighter lenses (incl EF-S mount and M-mount) due to the strokes I had BUT when I venture out with my motorhome, I pretty much take everything incl my EF lenses. I still have to be mindful of weight for carrying when I am parked back from where I wang to shoot. So I get your approach and am a little jealous. My partner helps a lot but she won a contract back in her native New England so I would have had to be flexible. My recent leg surgery added to my limitations. I miss (sometimes) the big bag of kit while solo touring the Cumbrian ‘hills’ complete with tent, but I like the Motorhome with central heating, en suite facilities, double bed etc! The M5 is incredibly capable and your mix of lenses covers most of what I would want. I do use the EF 100 IS (non L) and the underused Sigma 150-600 which I bought specifically for the West Coast of Ireland to shoot Seals and Dolphins and the bird colonies on Slieve League in Co Donegal but still to do so. The match to he M5 should mirror your example.

I have lost the summer but will set off when my surgeon gives me the OK and my partner is ready.

Anyone used ef lenses on an M100, if so what did you think,looking for a Tele zoom,is the m mount one ok ?

I have on the M6 but must admit I am happier with the M lenses and smaller pancake lenses.

eg M11-22, M22, M18-55, EF-S 24, EF 40 and Sigma 30 f/1.4 ART

That is my walkabout city kit but first choice is the M22 pancake.

The M100 is an unknown to me but seems (size/profile) a quite capable body. The M6 is a bigger kit and. My purpose in contributing my thoughts is that, as you will see from my lens selection with the M6, I lean towards the smaller lenses with it, and the M6 is bigger than the M100.

There is no reason you should have issue with the M100 and larger lenses but, for me, when I was using the original M Body, which the M100 seems more akin to, I added a 3rd party grip/arca swiss frame which made using the 70-200 f/4 usable on it. As yet I have not seen a frame for the M100.

Steve

I think a lot of people would be interested in a DSLR size mirrorless, especially those that use large zooms / primes.

.... HEAR! HEAR!! I would very much prefer a D-SLR size FF mirrorless but anticipate that Canon will probably produce one which is a similar size to the Nikon Z.

Canon say that they listen to their customers < Let's hope they do! And let's hope that most don't want a mirrorless FF body taking EF lenses which is as small as the M5.

Not far off now it seems, and looks to be more aimed at the mid range market than pro. No mention of card slots ...

Rumored specifications

• 28MP full frame sensor
  • Dual Pixel Auto Focus
  • IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
  • 10fps shooting
  • 4k@30fps
  • 1080p@60fps
  • Priced $1,900
https://www.canonrumors.com/we-were...irrorless-dreams-are-likely-coming-true-soon/

If that suggests they are doing 4K, even just at 30fps, with the dual AF, it will go down very well with vloggers and enthusiast videographers. Sounds like my kinda thing too, bar the price.

Last edited:
Not far off now it seems, and looks to be more aimed at the mid range market than pro. No mention of card slots ...

Rumored specifications

• 28MP full frame sensor
  • Dual Pixel Auto Focus
  • IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
  • 10fps shooting
  • 4k@30fps
  • 1080p@60fps
  • Priced $1,900
https://www.canonrumors.com/we-were...irrorless-dreams-are-likely-coming-true-soon/

If that suggests they are doing 4K, even just at 30fps, with the dual AF, it will go down very well with vloggers and enthusiast videographers. Sounds like my kinda thing too, bar the price.
if the rumour is true I think that would sell very well, looks a bit like a mirrorless 6d, fingers crossed they nail it and it keeps ef mount

fingers crossed they nail it and it keeps ef mount

Can you explain this?

I’ve seen this all over the Internet since a FF Canon mirrorless was suggested.

Are you suggesting that you’d be happier with Canon keeping the DSLR flange distance than taking advantage of the mirrorless technology to produce a smaller camera?

Isn’t having an 100% compatible adaptor for your old lenses good enough?

How do you feel about a body that adapts automatically (I think this is the preferred option)?

Had a fun couple of hours at the Lee Valley White Water Park yesterday and took the chance to keep practicing with the M50.

Still finding getting the camera to focus on moving images a challenge but here (hopefully) are a few of the pics.

D Florence (2) by Larryslord, on Flickr

Can you explain this?

I’ve seen this all over the Internet since a FF Canon mirrorless was suggested.

Are you suggesting that you’d be happier with Canon keeping the DSLR flange distance than taking advantage of the mirrorless technology to produce a smaller camera?

Isn’t having an 100% compatible adaptor for your old lenses good enough?

How do you feel about a body that adapts automatically (I think this is the preferred option)?
well its just my preference really, I've had a number of smaller mirrorless Fuji, m4/3 and a sony f, frame- the rmk11 and I find a bigger camera easier to use, I went to these basically to get smaller and lighter camera lens combo, buying the 6d recently has reminded me just how nice a slightly larger camera feels in the hand. I got rid of the sony partly because (for me) it felt crap in the hand-buttons just don't fall under my fingers or anywhere near in fact. by the time a 24-70 or a fast prime is added to a f.frame its about the same size and weight so I would prefer to keep the better for me ergonomics, and if that happens I cant see a reason to go away from the huge lens range we already have access to. lets face it a 6d with the 40mm pancake is very light and fairly compact anyway.
edit- tbh I don't have any problem changing glass as I don't have much anyway

Last edited:
well its just my preference really, I've had a number of smaller mirrorless Fuji, m4/3 and a sony f, frame- the rmk11 and I find a bigger camera easier to use, I went to these basically to get smaller and lighter camera lens combo, buying the 6d recently has reminded me just how nice a slightly larger camera feels in the hand. I got rid of the sony partly because (for me) it felt crap in the hand-buttons just don't fall under my fingers or anywhere near in fact. by the time a 24-70 or a fast prime is added to a f.frame its about the same size and weight so I would prefer to keep the better for me ergonomics, and if that happens I cant see a reason to go away from the huge lens range we already have access to. lets face it a 6d with the 40mm pancake is very light and fairly compact anyway.
edit- tbh I don't have any problem changing glass as I don't have much anyway

So you’re actually saying that you want a DSLR shaped system?

I genuinely believe that’s a minority view

I also own a 6d, which I bought in preference to a 5d, but I still prefer to carry the M5 and the frustration with that is having to use an adaptor with my lenses, but just making the M5 bigger to alleviate the need for the adaptor is the wrong way round.

Back