Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Mate, if you are in a wheel chair you can take the big stuff out, you wont have to carry it :)

Agreed but finding it difficult on the assistance front.

Stuck for a driver, loads of hospital appointments and adjusting to things. My Ford Kuga just sits their laughing at me and the day a good friend popped over to take me out, it p***ed down raining.

My kit is sparkling clean, all batteries fully charged, bag laid out ‘properly’

Settled down with sriting a couple more chapters of a book I am writing.

I am being patient!

I finally bit the bullet and picked up an EOS-M6 to replace my M3. Early impressions are that it's a significant improvement in speed and general responsiveness which is what I wanted. Adapted EF lenses on the M3 were really too slow to use, but the M6 is a big step forward.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up an EOS-M6 to replace my M3. Early impressions are that it's a significant improvement in speed and general responsiveness which is what I wanted. Adapted EF lenses on the M3 were really too slow to use, but the M6 is a big step forward.

That was my reasoning too! Had the M3 and wanted a speed increase! However the M6 viewfinder black out annoyed me in continuous AF; I sold that and purchased an M50; So far, it seems good - AF and viewfinder is much much better, continus AF is better too ; Gives the option for focus or release priority too. No viewfinder black out!!

Best Canon M by far; Dare I say better than the M5!

As my 7d2 and sigma 105 is to heavy for my befree, I popped the lens on to my M today. Much better balance, especially with the tripod mount on the adapter. The befree is useless for low level stuff so sat by a planter I have with feverfew and mint plants in.

....I have been using my Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro on my M5 (with EF lens adapter) for some time now but I prefer to use the lens collar foot (with Arca-swiss plate) rather than the Canon adaptor's tripod mount as I think the adapter's mount is less secure. I use a different tripod to yourself < Gitzo GT2545 Traveller + Flexline Pro head.

The Sigma 105mm is a direct competitor with the Canon 100mm and so your M + 105 is equivalent to my M + 100.

....I have been using my Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro on my M5 (with EF lens adapter) for some time now but I prefer to use the lens collar foot (with Arca-swiss plate) rather than the Canon adaptor's tripod mount as I think the adapter's mount is less secure. I use a different tripod to yourself < Gitzo GT2545 Traveller + Flexline Pro head.

The Sigma 105mm is a direct competitor with the Canon 100mm and so your M + 105 is equivalent to my M + 100.

I didn't realise there was a tripod adapter for the canon 100mm, it is something I wish the sigma 105 had, its a hefty lens. I just happened to google flexline heads earlier on, saw a thread title earlier, (not read the thread yet) A brief video shows it to be very good. How do you find your tripod and combination?

Why the M6 and not the M50?

Price primarily, but also I already have the EVF and like the option to leave it off and use just the 22mm lens for a really small carry anywhere camera.

What lenses have you adapted, and how do they perform? I'm guessing from your previous post you also own Canon dslr? How do you find switching between?

I didn't realise there was a tripod adapter for the canon 100mm, it is something I wish the sigma 105 had, its a hefty lens. I just happened to google flexline heads earlier on, saw a thread title earlier, (not read the thread yet) A brief video shows it to be very good. How do you find your tripod and combination?

....Yes, I don't know how the Sigma 105 weight compares with the Canon 100 (mine is the heavier all-singing-dancing F/2.8L version with Image Stabilisation) but it's heavy for its size too. However, with the M5 mounted it has a solidity and balance which I like, especially when shooting macro. My Canon 100mm came with a detachable lens collar foot which I prefer to the fingers screw fixing of the M5's tripod adapter which feels less secure.

Regarding the double-ballhead Flexline, I wrote a 'review' in Reply #54 in that thread. I am very pleased indeed with it and it replaces my Really Right Stuff conventional ballhead (soon to be offered for sale here).

In answer to your tripod combo question, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the sturdiness of the Gitzo GT2545 Traveller - It even provides reliable support for my Canon 500mm F/4L II + 1DX-2 (even with 2x Extender added). As a wildlife photographer often on walkabout, I find the Flexline Pro + Gitzo Traveller combo ideal and it is just compact and light enough to attach when folded to either of my Lowepro backpacks, but bear in mind that at 71yo I am not a hiker. Just by coincidence, I found out later that Flexline's Andy Rouse used the same pod + head combo on one of his Mountain Hare quests, so it has been tested in harsh conditions.

My M5 lives almost full-time on my 100mm macro as a very practical 'quick draw' handheld close-up combo immediately after initial shots with a 100-400mm. I often have a Kenko 1.4x mounted on the macro as well. If I have time to mount on the tripod, that's a bonus but the Flexline's Arca-Swiss profile clamp is tricky to master using quickly as it has 4 corner points rather than a long rail.

Last edited:
What lenses have you adapted, and how do they perform? I'm guessing from your previous post you also own Canon dslr? How do you find switching between?

....I'm not sure I have fully understood your questions but I'll do my best to answer :

On my M5 with EF lens adapter I primarily mount a Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro but occasionally a 24-70mm F/4L. I never mount my 100-400mm or 500mm as the physical balance doesn't work for me. Those bigger telephoto lenses would work with the M5 if securely mounted on a tripod but I much prefer the size of the controls on the EOS D-SLR bodies.

The M5 performs very similarly to a Canon 7D Mark II < Its crop sensors are virtually the same. I do find the M5 small physical size and controls almost too small but just manage it. If you look at my 'EOS M5 Album' on Flickr you will not be able to tell the difference between them and my 7D-2 images and some of them are considered by Explore to be good enough for their selection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157683996949495

When switching bodies I find that I have to remember to unlock the M5's adapter rather than the usual lens lock on its body. I don't own or use any of the EF-M(?) lenses but only the EF D-SLR lenses. I only bought the M5 to live on my 100mm macro lens as a 'quick draw' solution but some of its features such as a flip screen are a bonus.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I know it wasn’t me that you asked, but here’s my take:
I’ve used the Sigma 35, 50 stm and 85, I wouldn’t hesitate to use others, there’s no noticeable performance loss compared to a crop DSLR (id guess there might be marginal measurable speed loss, but in the real world you wouldn’t feel it). I consider all my lenses (except the EF-m kit lens) to have instantaneous focussing in normal light conditions.

I currently use the 7d 6d and M5 and switching between isn’t a ball ache (helped by my setting up of BBF to work similarly on all), they each have their downsides,
The 7d has the best focus system, followed by the M5 (though in the dark, it’s 6d, 7d, M5)
The 6d has the best IQ, followed by the M5
The M5 has the most modern features (flip screen, WiFi, GPS etc) followed by the 6d

The M5 and 22mm is 90% the camera that the 6d and Sigma 35mm art is, (likewise the M5 and 85 1.8 compared with the 6d and 135L)

Like Robin says, the controls are on the small side, but you do get used to them.

From the above, you can see that a FF Canon mirrorless could be the best of all worlds, the IQ of the 6d and all the benefits of mirrorless, I’d love it to be a ff x-pro alike, but that’s too much to ask.

Like Robin says, the controls are on the small side, but you do get used to them.

From the above, you can see that a FF Canon mirrorless could be the best of all worlds, the IQ of the 6d and all the benefits of mirrorless, I’d love it to be a ff x-pro alike, but that’s too much to ask.

....I only hope that when (it has to be "when" rather than "if") Canon offer a FF mirrorless, that the body and controls are not on the small side. Ergonomics and physical balance with lenses etc should not be ignored.

You do get used to the M5's smaller controls as you say Phil, but switching to and from a huge 1DX-2 to a small M5 is a bit of a shock!

I guess that as Nikon appear to be releasing a FF mirrorless quite soon it may be a guide to the likely size of the future Canon version.

As others have said, switching between them isn't too bad as the menus and button layout aren't too different. I have a 6d with a few full-frame lenses, and have only so far tried a few of the smaller ones on the M6 like the 40/2.8 and 85/1.8 which seem to work very well.

I finally dusted off my 5D4 the other day, the first time ive touched it since Easter. Im planning on taking it to Scotland next wee (although its 50/50 if i will). I found i had forgotten a lot about that camera. I was fumbling quite a bit with the buttons. Due to its size it felt horrible to hold compared to my M50. Im really hoping there is a FF mirrorles coming soon. Best of both worlds hopefully and im definitely hooked on smaller cameras now.

Anyway, another from the M50 before it gets packed away for a week.

Bottle on the beach of the River Thames.
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

I finally dusted off my 5D4 the other day, the first time ive touched it since Easter. Im planning on taking it to Scotland next wee (although its 50/50 if i will). I found i had forgotten a lot about that camera. I was fumbling quite a bit with the buttons. Due to its size it felt horrible to hold compared to my M50. Im really hoping there is a FF mirrorles coming soon. Best of both worlds hopefully and im definitely hooked on smaller cameras now.

I agree - using the M6 for a while and going back to the 6D feels like handling a tank. Part of that is because I tend to use the 24-70 on the 6D which is so much bigger than the EOS-M lenses. The problem with the FF mirrorless is going to be that the lenses will still be big.

I agree - using the M6 for a while and going back to the 6D feels like handling a tank. Part of that is because I tend to use the 24-70 on the 6D which is so much bigger than the EOS-M lenses. The problem with the FF mirrorless is going to be that the lenses will still be big.

Yes, i agree with that. With my M50 ive been using my EF-S and M lenses, but with the 5D4 i have to use bigger and heavier, even though they are less versatile. Its funny but ive hardly used any of my 'good' lenses on my M50 since getting it, as i just love the range my 18-135 and 18-150 give. These are fantastic all in one lenses, but i find i dont get very creative with them. There is something bland about using them. Great as holiday and general walkabout lenses, but i feel i get lazy when i use them. I dont try hard enough. It could be the slowness of them at the long end, especially the 18-150.
The only reason ill be using my 5D4 next week is its weather sealed, as are the lenses. Going to the Edinburgh Tattoo and thats outside, other wise i was going to take my M50 and 24-70 f/2.8 (for a change).

....That's the exact opposite to me! I went on a photographic trip to Scotland in April and took both my Canon M5, 7D-2, and 5D-4 (since replaced with an even larger 1DX-2) and guess what I didn't shoot any pictures on? < The little M5!

I really struggle too often with the small controls of the M5 and particularly for Back-Button-Focus (the star button). It just goes to prove that every one of us has our own individual preferences.

Enjoy Scotland - It's difficult not to!

....That's the exact opposite to me! I went on a photographic trip to Scotland in April and took both my Canon M5, 7D-2, and 5D-4 (since replaced with an even larger 1DX-2) and guess what I didn't shoot any pictures on? < The little M5!

I really struggle too often with the small controls of the M5 and particularly for Back-Button-Focus (the star button). It just goes to prove that every one of us has our own individual preferences.

Enjoy Scotland - It's difficult not to!

Im very comfortable with the smaller camera now. I never use BBF on any camera, but did try it on the M50 and found it very difficult to use. With the 5D4 i find its more of a stretch to reach the buttons. Could be that im now just used to the M50.

Ive been to Scotland many times, my GF comes from Aviemore and her mum lives in Aberdeen.. First time going to Edinburgh though, although thats just for the Tattoo and then we will go back up to Aberdeen. Cheers.

....I'm not sure I have fully understood your questions but I'll do my best to answer :

On my M5 with EF lens adapter I primarily mount a Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro but occasionally a 24-70mm F/4L. I never mount my 100-400mm or 500mm as the physical balance doesn't work for me. Those bigger telephoto lenses would work with the M5 if securely mounted on a tripod but I much prefer the size of the controls on the EOS D-SLR bodies.

The M5 performs very similarly to a Canon 7D Mark II < Its crop sensors are virtually the same. I do find the M5 small physical size and controls almost too small but just manage it. If you look at my 'EOS M5 Album' on Flickr you will not be able to tell the difference between them and my 7D-2 images and some of them are considered by Explore to be good enough for their selection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157683996949495

When switching bodies I find that I have to remember to unlock the M5's adapter rather than the usual lens lock on its body. I don't own or use any of the EF-M(?) lenses but only the EF D-SLR lenses. I only bought the M5 to live on my 100mm macro lens as a 'quick draw' solution but some of its features such as a flip screen are a bonus.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, that is what I was after ;)

I know it wasn’t me that you asked, but here’s my take:
I’ve used the Sigma 35, 50 stm and 85, I wouldn’t hesitate to use others, there’s no noticeable performance loss compared to a crop DSLR (id guess there might be marginal measurable speed loss, but in the real world you wouldn’t feel it). I consider all my lenses (except the EF-m kit lens) to have instantaneous focussing in normal light conditions.

I currently use the 7d 6d and M5 and switching between isn’t a ball ache (helped by my setting up of BBF to work similarly on all), they each have their downsides,
The 7d has the best focus system, followed by the M5 (though in the dark, it’s 6d, 7d, M5)
The 6d has the best IQ, followed by the M5
The M5 has the most modern features (flip screen, WiFi, GPS etc) followed by the 6d

The M5 and 22mm is 90% the camera that the 6d and Sigma 35mm art is, (likewise the M5 and 85 1.8 compared with the 6d and 135L)

Cheers, I believe canon are making that announcement in September? It's going to be an interesting Christmas this year perhaps
As others have said, switching between them isn't too bad as the menus and button layout aren't too different. I have a 6d with a few full-frame lenses, and have only so far tried a few of the smaller ones on the M6 like the 40/2.8 and 85/1.8 which seem to work very well.

It's mostly primes I would be looking to and maybe a light Tele like the 55-250 just for garden birdies. Ideally I'd like something like a 6D and an M50 on side for my cycling outings.

It's mostly primes I would be looking to and maybe a light Tele like the 55-250 just for garden birdies. Ideally I'd like something like a 6D and an M50 on side for my cycling outings

I think that’s a great pair of cameras, I’d go for the 6dII if you can though.

My most used lenses on the 6d are 35 and 135 and so the M5 with the 22 and 85 (on an adaptor) are a great miniature version, but a native prime for the M would be appreciated.

I’m looking forward to a play with a FF mirrorless, but not sure I’ll be buying one anytime soon.

My most used lenses on the 6d are 35 and 135 and so the M5 with the 22 and 85 (on an adaptor) are a great miniature version, but a native prime for the M would be appreciated.

I’m looking forward to a play with a FF mirrorless, but not sure I’ll be buying one anytime soon.

Unlikely I'll be buying one either tbh, until they come well down in price at least. But, used prices on older gear could become very interesting.

Now that they've committed to full-frame mirrorless I can't see them developing the M system beyond the casual-user market so more primes look unlikely :( A slimmed-down 85 to cover the smaller sensor would be fantastic though.

....Yes, I don't know how the Sigma 105 weight compares with the Canon 100 (mine is the heavier all-singing-dancing F/2.8L version with Image Stabilisation) but it's heavy for its size too. However, with the M5 mounted it has a solidity and balance which I like, especially when shooting macro. My Canon 100mm came with a detachable lens collar foot which I prefer to the fingers screw fixing of the M5's tripod adapter which feels less secure.

Regarding the double-ballhead Flexline, I wrote a 'review' in Reply #54 in that thread. I am very pleased indeed with it and it replaces my Really Right Stuff conventional ballhead (soon to be offered for sale here).

In answer to your tripod combo question, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the sturdiness of the Gitzo GT2545 Traveller - It even provides reliable support for my Canon 500mm F/4L II + 1DX-2 (even with 2x Extender added). As a wildlife photographer often on walkabout, I find the Flexline Pro + Gitzo Traveller combo ideal and it is just compact and light enough to attach when folded to either of my Lowepro backpacks, but bear in mind that at 71yo I am not a hiker. Just by coincidence, I found out later that Flexline's Andy Rouse used the same pod + head combo on one of his Mountain Hare quests, so it has been tested in harsh conditions.

My M5 lives almost full-time on my 100mm macro as a very practical 'quick draw' handheld close-up combo immediately after initial shots with a 100-400mm. I often have a Kenko 1.4x mounted on the macro as well. If I have time to mount on the tripod, that's a bonus but the Flexline's Arca-Swiss profile clamp is tricky to master using quickly as it has 4 corner points rather than a long rail.

Thanks Robin, I have just had a look at weights, my sigma is 725g and your canon is 625g. I would like the grip of an m5/50 it would be nicer to use on a ball head rather than the gripless originam M.

Looking at maybe gettting an M50 or M5 - how much better is the M5? It’s not for anything serious, just want something small and fun to take out with me.

Looking at maybe gettting an M50 or M5 - how much better is the M5? It’s not for anything serious, just want something small and fun to take out with me.

I prefer the M5 because of the extra controls but otherwise the M50 is just as good and infact better in some respects.

Another jet :(

RIAT 2018
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Robin, I have just had a look at weights, my sigma is 725g and your canon is 625g. I would like the grip of an m5/50 it would be nicer to use on a ball head rather than the gripless originam M.

....You might be able to find a third-party stick-on grip for your original gripless M.

I had the same issue when I used to have a Sony RX100-II compact and found a very good add-on grip from a third-party supplier. Google is your fwend?

....You might be able to find a third-party stick-on grip for your original gripless M.

I had the same issue when I used to have a Sony RX100-II compact and found a very good add-on grip from a third-party supplier. Google is your fwend?

There are non-OEM metal grips for the original EOS M body

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163030168981

I had 2

One was a basic metal plate and mater one with a grip and Arca QR plate and handle.

Made a big difference with heavier lenses attached.

They can be left on the body and access to the battery/SD card is easy.

Steve

One was a basic metal plate and mater one with a grip and Arca QR plate and handle.

Made a big difference with heavier lenses attached.

They can be left on the body and access to the battery/SD card is easy.

Steve

....Trying to find an Arca-Swiss profile plate for a M5 while still allowing access to the battery chamber is proving difficult.

My small Peak Design PROplate fits perfectly but obstructs the battery chamber door too much. Of course with lenses with a lens collar foot plus A-S plate it's not a consideration but I sometimes want the option to mount my M5 + 24-70mm on a tripod and to do so quickly without having to remove the plate just to change battery.

I find that my M5 does not retain its battery (Canon) power if not used for only a few days and in spite of GPS etc being disabled.

....Trying to find an Arca-Swiss profile plate for a M5 while still allowing access to the battery chamber is proving difficult.

My small Peak Design PROplate fits perfectly but obstructs the battery chamber door too much. Of course with lenses with a lens collar foot plus A-S plate it's not a consideration but I sometimes want the option to mount my M5 + 24-70mm on a tripod and to do so quickly without having to remove the plate just to change battery.

I find that my M5 does not retain its battery (Canon) power if not used for only a few days and in spite of GPS etc being disabled.

I know the feeling. I have been on the lookout for an Arca Swiss plate for my M5 but only for tripod moments. I don’t get too great a charge loss on the original OEM LP-E17 batteries when left in the body but, all the same there are times when I was chewing through batteries on the M5 so, realistically an Arca Swiss plate would make sense, even if it compromised the compact nature of the M series.

The LP-E12 batteries on the M50 are a complete pain but yhe body is a dream.

As you may remember the M6 is my walkabout body with either the 22mm Pancake or, rarely tbh, the Sig 30mm f/1.4 ART.

If you discover an A- plate that meets your needs do let it be known.

I had the operation on my shin early Monday, had a session with the consultant just after lunch and all good so far. Hoping to be out by Saturday and rehab next week so hoping to resume my photo project mid September.

I could be tempted to modify an A-S plate, it should not be too crazy to do. My aerospace background in the mid 1970’s was on the then new Tornado MRCA (later F2/F3). I should be able to get something done. (Famous last words)!

32mm EF-M f/1.4 is expected to be announced at Photokina, if it's at the right price I'd be more interested suddenly

It was mooted for July but it will be of interest to me for sure.

I hsve the EF-M 28mm macrolite bur rarely use it. I got it for £229 but it was not realy up to much. Used it to make records of my stamp collection for insurance purposes. It’s extremely short d.o.f was ideal.

For walkabout purposes I use a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART but I would trade that for a 32mm EF-M in a heartbeat - no adapter needed and a good accompaniment for the 22mm pancake.

I cannot imagine it going too far beyond £290-300 in the UK but the brighter f/1.4 aperture will be the brightest EF-M lens so wait and see.

Fingers crossed.

Steve

Back