Canon EOS M Series Cameras

yep, got the lens adapter. it works better with some lens and less so with others. on my 35L the camera takes some time to acquire focus and in doing so it jitters along till focus is acquired. One the 70-200 2.8 IS L it was pretty quick, so I think it may be something Canon can improve with firmware. The real test for me will be the 24-70 2.8 MKI which in my opinion is probably one of the fastest focussing lens made by Canon. The 22m f2.0 is a real treat though.

Really glad to hear some positive views about this camera at last.

Still waiting for my local camera shop to receive stocks of the kit with the 22mm lens and EF adapter.

The real attraction for me was the ability to use all my EF lens on a really small, compact body and this fits the bill perfectly. It's a perfect holiday camera for me and the family as I never really shoot anything other than landscapes or touristy snaps of the kids. Before I had to chug along a 5Dmk2 for that sort of stuff. I'll endevour to do conduct a full review shortly and I've found that the 50mm 1.4 works quite well too.

Well I've just had a play with one in T5, Heathrow and I have to say I was really really impressed. I was expecting terrible things with the focus speed but it turned out much faster than I'd have hoped for. It really is quite tiny but it oozes quality. Especially the little dial on the back. Hope my local camera store hurries up and gets mine in!

Well I've just had a play with one in T5, Heathrow and I have to say I was really really impressed. I was expecting terrible things with the focus speed but it turned out much faster than I'd have hoped for. It really is quite tiny but it oozes quality. Especially the little dial on the back. Hope my local camera store hurries up and gets mine in!

Watch the recent digitalRev comparison of auto focus speed compared to Olympus OMD and Panasonic GF5, sluggish isn't the word :puke:

Apart from that I thought Kai would slate it, but he really quite liked it, mainly for the video though

How well will the Olympus OMD work with all my EF lenses? ;-)

i'm loving mine and the focus is quite acceptable. I wish someone would release a nice rubberised skin for it, so I can be a bit rougher with it. I've also bought a heavy duty keychain for it from Gear Keeper as I'd like to hang it from my belt loop when out and about.

Yes, with an £8 adapter :)

Aperture control as well? ;)

Shame the micro 4/3 crop would make most of them fairly redundant.

I think I'm going to carry on doing what I've been doing for the last 25 years and I'm going to stick with Canon as this will be used mostly as a travel camera but a nice little back up to the 7D and 5D mkII.

6950rpm said:
Aperture control as well? ;)

Shame the micro 4/3 crop would make most of them fairly redundant.

I think I'm going to carry on doing what I've been doing for the last 25 years and I'm going to stick with Canon as this will be used mostly as a travel camera but a nice little back up to the 7D and 5D mkII.

Yes, you can get aperture control adapters too

I just don't get why folks want to use EOS-m with stonking great ef lenses, why not just use a small xxxd body

ShrubMonkey said:
Yes, you can get aperture control adapters too

I just don't get why folks want to use EOS-m with stonking great ef lenses, why not just use a small xxxd body

but it is pretty much a small xxxd body :)

hsuffyan said:
but it is pretty much a small xxxd body :)

That's exactly my point, you could get a 600d/650d for less money but has more features (e.g. optical view finder, tilt swivel screen, etc)

Last edited:
That's exactly my point, you could get a 600d/650d for less money but has more features (e.g. optical view finder, tilt swivel screen, etc)

You could also get a 1100D for half the price that is not much bigger or heavier (once you add a adapter to the M) and will work better with the ef lenses .

ShrubMonkey said:

but its titch compared to those and you can hang it from your trews like I do! :p

The only thing that ****es me off with the EOSM is that Canon have taken out the 3 pin trigger port. I used to hook up a cheapie yongnuo trigger and trigger my 5DMK2 wirelessly like that

... Shame the micro 4/3 crop would make most of them fairly redundant.
...as would the Canon APS-C crop : by the same token. Bit wider, granted.

The EOS-M is currently crippled by slow autofocus where it has no excuse for that!
and no EVF : also no excuse.

Personally I think there is a big difference between a 1.6 x and a 2 x crop factor.

And for the record, I didn't feel that the auto focus was slow. no VF means the camera can be made as small as possible which one of the things I am after yet still maintaining EF compatibility for the occasional time I want to use my other lenses.

6950rpm said:
Personally I think there is a big difference between a 1.6 x and a 2 x crop factor.

And for the record, I didn't feel that the auto focus was slow. no VF means the camera can be made as small as possible which one of the things I am after yet still maintaining EF compatibility for the occasional time I want to use my other lenses.

Did you watch the digitalrev comparison, it is slow!

I actually went one better and picked one up and took some photos with it.

And no, the focus did not feel slow to me.

I guess if you new to CSC and have bags full of Canon lenses, it makes sense. But for most who have ventured in CSC. The EOS M don't bring much more to the table.

I'm a m4/3 camp as well as Canon, The reason I like the m4/3 is that it's better than most compacts and it's my light weight option. With the lack of EF-M lenses for me I won't trade in my m4/3 yet!

Finally got to collect my EOS M kit yesterday.

Am absolutely chuffed to bits. Really impressed with this superb quality little bit of kit.

you'll love it. I'm using it for street photography with an old Helios lens attached using an adapter on the EF adapter. I have the ISO set to auto and keep it in manual with shutter speed fixed. I focus and control aperture with the lens for a fairly discrete set up :)

6950rpm said:
Finally got to collect my EOS M kit yesterday.

Am absolutely chuffed to bits. Really impressed with this superb quality little bit of kit.

Would love to read some more reviews on the eos m.

Is it compatible with L lenses? - may be a silly question, I'm not 100% on compatibility.

Here's a recent review.

The EOS M is definitely compatible with L lenses when you use the Canon EOS-EF-M adapter.

Last edited:
Now I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks I just wanted to address the comments about autofocus speed.

Do I feel that it is slow? No, not at all. Yes it's slower that the 7D with a 17-40mm L lens but not so slow as to be something I feel lets the camera down. In good light, I feel the EOS M focuses really quite quickly and I love the speed in which I can change the focus point.

In summary, it's a cracking little camera that is so much smaller than my gripped 7D or 5D MkII and produces stunning images. Very very pleased with it.

6950rpm said:
Now I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks I just wanted to address the comments about autofocus speed.

Do I feel that it is slow? No, not at all. Yes it's slower that the 7D with a 17-40mm L lens but not so slow as to be something I feel lets the camera down. In good light, I feel the EOS M focuses really quite quickly and I love the speed in which I can change the focus point.

In summary, it's a cracking little camera that is so much smaller than my gripped 7D or 5D MkII and produces stunning images. Very very pleased with it.

Seriously tempted by the EOS M but am worried I may use it more than my 60D but want to keep with the 60D. If not the g15 looks like a good camera, something compact and affordable and definitely won't replace the 60D - just to take everywhere with me to capture the moment !

Anyone else got the EOS M and happy with it? Or not, I'd love to hear people's views !

I won one in a competition and have decided i am going to sell it because i already have a dslr and a compact. Reading the reviews its an awesome piece of kit. Very similar to the 650D

Last edited:
Removed and infracted

Last edited by a moderator:
brad28 said:
Anyone else got the EOS M and happy with it? Or not, I'd love to hear people's views !

Fantastic little camera, amazing ISO capabilities, good fps and general handling. my biggest gripe is they didn't create an option for back button focussing. This slows the focussing even further as you can't prefocus and shoot when you're ready. The shutter button always engages the focus system.

I see you can pick these up with the kit zoom lens now for under £500 after the cash back.

Absolute bargain!

Il listed mine on the price check forum. Its brand new in box, UK model, unopened. It has 18-55mm kit lens and the 90EX speed light. (also unopened)

It has 11 months remaining on a 12 warranty direct with Canon UK.

6950rpm said:
I see you can pick these up with the kit zoom lens now for under £500 after the cash back.

Absolute bargain!

STAFF EDIT : Please do not attempt to sell outside of the classifieds sections.

Thank You.

Mine just arrived!!! Just tormenting myself by fully charging the battery!!!

First impressions.... Very nice indeed! What a sturdy feeling camera!!

The 22mm f/2 is also finished very well and feels very sturdy indeed!

Only gripe out of the box is no hot shoe cover!!!

True!!

Thus far I'm finding it nice... It seems to be just what I wanted really... A point and shoot but with plenty of manual capabilities, familiar menus and the ability to use my existing lens collection.

Is it a DSLR killer, no. Is it a compact camera that allows for creative camera work and above average images for a camera of its size... I've got to go with yes, so far!

My only comparison in this arena is with a Lumix G3 I bought on a whim, this destroys it completely in terms of the images I can produce, ease of use and (important to me) build quality.

I'll play with it more when I can get out and about but I'm loving it so far!

As for the AF, yes with the shutter button it sucks, but tapping the screen to focus and its seemingly a LOT faster and more accurate!

...My only comparison in this arena is with a Lumix G3 I bought on a whim, this destroys it completely in terms of the images I can produce, ...
I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison pic which includes some sky and treetops.
Any chance Adam?

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison pic which includes some sky and treetops.
Any chance Adam?

Unfortunately no... I only took around 20 photos with the G3 and they were mostly just point and shoot on Christmas day, some creative shots but i really couldn't get on with it!

Thus far I have messed around with the camera with:

Ef-M 22mm F/2
24-70 L
70-200 F/2.8 L
100mm macro
8mm samyang

All work fine, it took me a minute to work out where you had to set the menu to allow the use of manual lenses!

Last edited:
Ulfric M Douglas said:
Any chance Adam?

I'd love to see a comparison too, 'destroy' is a strong term the G3 is an ageing camera now and given the EOS M is basically a xxD in a little body I'd love to see it

Well it's a very subjective view... And that is very true, I'm very new to this arena so didn't appreciate how old the G3 is. (Was bought on a whim during the comet sales)

It could just be I get on with the camera, both are very capable of producing stunning pictures, and I'm sure both are capable of producing better photos than I could ever dream of taking!!

From my perspective I struggled with the G3, and i didn't like the photos I took with it( even with the 20mm) but the EOS M seems to come naturally and the photos definitely have an SLR feel rather than the G3 felt like my old Fuji s5000 bridge

I'll endeavour to come up with some samples!!

Last edited:
Back