Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Yes, thinking of buying one from Wex as it works out at £299 after the cashback and they include the lens adapter too. Just not sure if I could spend the money more wisely on a different camera but with the same budget. If i do go for it I might opt for the grey/silver looking one instead of boring black...what colours have you got?

Andy :help:

I really do like the M - I think probably becasue I am used to using Canons the menu system is very familiar meaning that it can pick up and use the camera without giving it any thought (not something I could do with the Olympus or Sony CSCs that I have had before). The cash back deal is very appealling, I also got a 40 f2.8 so with the bonus for buying to things with cashback I can claim £110 back - doing the cashback claim online is very quick and easy. If you have any old gear it is worth looking at the trade in price as they do seem to offer some odd prices at times. I chopped in an old Canon lens for £40 (slightly more than they seem to go for on ebay) they also gave me a really good price on an older Sony camera (much better than I was expecting) however offered very low on some other stuff (which I kept).

As for colours I started out by playing it safe with a black one (easier to sell on if I didn't get on with it) but my second one is red...

After doing a bit of research on the reviews and your comments on here. I have just ordered one from WEX as the deal looks to be the best out there. Just wondering whether this will be a replacement for my 60D or whether I should keep both.

After doing a bit of research on the reviews and your comments on here. I have just ordered one from WEX as the deal looks to be the best out there. Just wondering whether this will be a replacement for my 60D or whether I should keep both.

Probably depends on what and how you shoot. For me the M couldn't replace a DSLR for wildlife photography as the AF isn't swift enough. However I do find myself using it a lot for other stuff...

Peter, is it quick enough with the Sigma 35 to shoot things moving slightly eg kids? Not a full on run or walk just random movement. Thanks

Probably depends on what and how you shoot. For me the M couldn't replace a DSLR for wildlife photography as the AF isn't swift enough. However I do find myself using it a lot for other stuff...

Yes, I think I will use them both for comparisons before I make a decision. I have found that the 60D is an excellent camera and I think I would miss it, but it's a bit of a brick to lug around at social events etc, which is where the M should do better. :ty:

Really looking forward to see what they come out with for the M2 which should be announced early next year. 

Yes, and I bet it will be £650 plus!!

I'd like to hope not haha!

I'm stuck at a crossroads. I want to go full frame (currently have a 500D) but I also want a mirrorless purely for taking out and about with me for street photography.

Ok, so changed my mind at the last minute and bought a Panasonic TZ40 (in Red) from Amazon for £209 :runaway:
This will do me as a walkabout camera, which I intended the eos m to be, and gives me some breathing space to decide which 'proper' camera to go for.
I have to admit that I really like the look of that new Canon 100D...:shrug:

Last edited:
Received mine from WEX on Thursday and had a sunny morning in the garden with it yesterday. With the free EF lens adapter and the £50 cashback from Canon I thought this was a bargain from WEX.
I tried it with the standard 18-55 lens it came with and then put on my three other lenses used with my 60D and the results were excellent, although I have still to get used to the focussing system on the M
The results on the EF-S 60mm were not brilliant, but when I tried my trusty EF 15-85mm and 70-200 F4L the results were brilliant!
Having said that, putting on these large lenses defeats the object and I think I will definitely be keeping the 60D as well.
After a little more practice I will post some shots on here if I can get them as good as Peter's!

I picked one from Jessops yesterday and so far can't fault it, my old lenses work extremely well (11-18 and 55-250), I was expecting the AF to be slow and imprecise, which it isn't, even in light levels where autoISO is choosing ISO 6400 the AF is still working quickly and precisely.

Now I'm considering the 22mm f2.0 STM for a discreet walkabout lens, is anyone already using one?

Has anyone got any advice on getting raw images from the M to display in photoshop elements. Apparently you need camera raw 7.2 which is not available as a download. As far as I can see you have to buy lightroom 5 or CS6???

Now I'm considering the 22mm f2.0 STM for a discreet walkabout lens, is anyone already using one?

I have the 22mm and really like it. It is a very compact lens with decent AF and give good sharp results even wide open. If you do go for one then it pays to shop around, I found a UK seller on eBay doing unboxed (from kits) ones for under £100.

I have the 22mm and really like it. It is a very compact lens with decent AF and give good sharp results even wide open. If you do go for one then it pays to shop around, I found a UK seller on eBay doing unboxed (from kits) ones for under £100.

Thanks Peter, I've seen a few eBay sellers around £80-£90, seems like a good idea then.

Just ordered an EOS M kit for the times I don't want to be carrying either of my dslr's. Also got it so my son can get some practice as well. He has cerebral palsy and his left hand doesn't work well enough to hold a full size dslr with a lens and be able to use the zoom but the much smaller EOS M and a 50 f1.4 with the adapter should be more manageable. Should be here in a few days and then I can get to grips with it.

Anyone had problems with the touch screen being too sensitive? So that it changes settings whenever it bangs against your body for example?

Yes, only had mine for a few days and still getting used to it. I have disabled the touch screen for the time being. I also noticed the poor battery life, but this may be down to me experimenting with it.

I am really liking this little beast, every m4/3rds body had some sort of niggle for me. Out and about with the EOS M today and it just doesn't seem to have any annoying characteristics (so far).

I can't believe the detail that can be pulled out of the shadows.

In the JPEG, below the awnings is totally dark.

11050358325_84d90e3dae_b.jpg

A spur of the moment image while passing. My Tamron 11-18, 30 second exposure and frozen fingers ;).

11070932415_467a3162bb_b.jpg

Last edited:
EOS M handles high ISO reasonably well for a "pocket camera". This was an accident, I'm surprised by the result. RAW file, converted to DNG and then saved as a JPEG, no other processing.

11406396554_2347f5e0bb_b.jpg

I was doing an end of year trawl thru this years pics on aperture and I was amazed by how many of my photos had been taken using my EOS M, something like 10:1 ratio over my (now gone) 5D mk ii. I've come to realise what a fantastic little camera this is. IQ is first class, it's small, easily portable, in fact pretty much every time I go out I stick it, with the 22mm F2 attached in my pocket. If I'm going to a rugby match I put my EF-S 55-250mm zoom on it, with the 22mm in my pocket. It's a great combo. I took a lot of indoor shot sober Christmas and even at 6400 ISO the quality was fantastic. To think I was gonna sell this camera 2 weeks after I bought it, the poor AF (before the latest firmware update) was really starting to bother me. Anyway I look forward to getting some great pics this new year, only downside my 5D mkiii isn't getting a good try out as yet.

They just had this as a lightning deal on Amazon for £299+£50 cashback. Means it only cost £249 so I bought one to give it a go and see if it's any good as a grab-and-go camera. Might try and source the 22mm lens to go with it too so as to make it more pocketable and therefore better as a walkabout camera solution.

They just had this as a lightning deal on Amazon for £299+£50 cashback. Means it only cost £249 so I bought one to give it a go and see if it's any good as a grab-and-go camera. Might try and source the 22mm lens to go with it too so as to make it more pocketable and therefore better as a walkabout camera solution.

Keep an eye on eBay, there are a couple of dealers who seem to break up kits and sell the the 22mm for £90-£100.

Keep an eye on eBay, there are a couple of dealers who seem to break up kits and sell the the 22mm for £90-£100.
Yeah that's where I got mine, white box £100 delivered.

To stop any more RTM's ref Kris' post above, we don't mind people posting a link to their classified thread here on the forum [though not to external sales such as their ebay listing or a commercial site], as long as it's relevant and in context to the current conversation - we use common sense to decide if that is the case, so you guys can too, and if not sure, do RTM. Thanks all :)

Not had this problem with mine. If you have the touchscreen enabled perhaps you caught it with a finger accidentally??

Not had this problem with mine. If you have the touchscreen enabled perhaps you caught it with a finger accidentally??

Na its not that, i get this message every 15 seconds "movie recording has been stopped automatically"

Well I must say I havent seen that one. I wonder if it could be your memory card? Maybe try a spare card and see if it happens again.

Well I must say I havent seen that one. I wonder if it could be your memory card? Maybe try a spare card and see if it happens again.

Done that as well, card im using at mo is SanDisk SDHU 16GB

Heres a comparison test with my new EOS M. I visit Lyme Regis quite a lot running the fishermens training courses and took the first image of Miss Pattie in Dec 2012 with my 60D. Took another a couple of weeks ago following her refit, and I think the comparison is very good. Both hand held in similar conditions, so I think the quality of this camera is just as good as a DSLR. I know there are several threads concerning pros and cons of either, but I am happy with my purchase and still getting used to the different focusing requirements. Any comments?

MIss Pattie March 2014

Last edited:
Back