Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Didn't realise they had changed it.

If I was to go for the M5 it would be with the 18-150, it would be ideal as I could leave my 150-600 on my 7d2 for wild life and have the m5 and lens for wider shots or as a walk about when not using the big lens.
I am unsure of what, if any, lens to go/buy on the M5 when I order it. Generally the bundle approach does saves a decent amount of cash.

I have the M 55-200 which I like on the M body, so still unsure whether the 18-150 will be needed. I tried and reall liked the M 11-22 but, as I have the ef-s 11-18, I have stuck with that for now. The 18-150 looks good and there are a few really good YouTube videos from the US based togs that are worth looking at. They show the 18-150 as being a very good and versatile lens. Worth looking at with the M5/18-150 combo demonstration.

If Canon were to ask me what M lens next and they would build it..... I think it would be a Mk II M 22mm pancake with f/1.4 and IS. The current 22mm Pancake is my favourite CSC M lens and if I could only have 1 lens it would be the 22mm.

It is tempting to see what the 150-600 would be like on the M5 with it's hybrid senson and Digic 7 processor!! I have used my ef-s 55-250 STM on my son's M3 and it was super.

We live in interesting times. If the M5 had been less than it is then I would have sold off my M kit but I got to try it and I am convinced of it's being my next step.

Finally I am still tempted by the M 28mm macro! I will return to looking at it when I have had the M5 for 6 months!

Steve

No chance of a 1.4 stabilised pancake 22mm anytime soon that is a hell of a wish list!

Nice to see the m3 dropping in price I think it will replace my m by Christmas!

Lens line up wide I just wish they would release a couple more pancake primes we know they can make a 17mm and 45mm f2.8 ish would be great if they were nice and compact and as sharp as the 22mm!

What class / speed of memory card do i need to get for eos M3 please? The manual doesn't seem to say unless i have missed it?

I am guesisng after a certain fps it will not make a difference because the camera will be restricting the fps.

Thanks

Anyone have any screen protector and case recommendations?

I'm sure there will be a few different recomendations for screen protectors. Took me a couple of attempts to find one I liked for my EOS-M before settling on these :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/disGuard-A...5857&sr=8-20&keywords=eos-m3+screen+protector

Have been very happy with it, hard wearing and pretty good for glare on sunny days. Has been on the camera for 2 years now and not scratched or marked as yet, does need wiping to clear fingerprints quite often though.

Cases/bags are a very personal thing, it depends very much on what you want to carry really. I expect most of us have several depending on how much gear we want to take out with us. Better to choose one with extra capacity, as you are sure to add more gear as you go along ;)

Last edited:
What class / speed of memory card do i need to get for eos M3 please? The manual doesn't seem to say unless i have missed it?

I am guesisng after a certain fps it will not make a difference because the camera will be restricting the fps.

Thanks
I have a Lexar 128Gb 1000X which handles everything the M/M2/M3/M10 has thrown at it - stills and video.

Steve

I've ordered a Samyang 50mm 1.2 for my M3, should be here at the weekend, in time for xmas lights bokeh pics!

No chance of a 1.4 stabilised pancake 22mm anytime soon that is a hell of a wish list!

Lens line up wide I just wish they would release a couple more pancake primes we know they can make a 17mm and 45mm f2.8 ish would be great if they were nice and compact and as sharp as the 22mm!
My gran used to say "Don't ask, Don't get". The 22mm is a superb tiny lens and I agree, a 17mm and a few other primes would be great.

I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art and it's great on the M but outstanding on the M3. I got ilthe 30mm when Sigma had a £75 cack back and the lowest price was down to £299.99 + Cashback on top! If Canon could get a compact M 30mm f/1.8 prime out, I am sure it would sell. I am mulling over the M 28mm prime but the Sigma is way to good for low light, is compact(ish) on the M body with excellent IQ. I have the ef-s 60mm macro (not a lightweight) but rarely stic it on the M.

Agree on the M3 price drop plus the extra £50 Canon Winter Cashback brings the M3 down below the original M price!

If I wanted an in now on a basic M camera - it would be the M3 not the M10 but I am going for the M5. I can borrow my son's M3 any time so will not need to rush plus it may be interesting to see how Canon UK react after the early adopters take to the M5.

I am unsure of what, if any, lens to go/buy on the M5 when I order it. Generally the bundle approach does saves a decent amount of cash.

I have the M 55-200 which I like on the M body, so still unsure whether the 18-150 will be needed. I tried and reall liked the M 11-22 but, as I have the ef-s 11-18, I have stuck with that for now. The 18-150 looks good and there are a few really good YouTube videos from the US based togs that are worth looking at. They show the 18-150 as being a very good and versatile lens. Worth looking at with the M5/18-150 combo demonstration.

If Canon were to ask me what M lens next and they would build it..... I think it would be a Mk II M 22mm pancake with f/1.4 and IS. The current 22mm Pancake is my favourite CSC M lens and if I could only have 1 lens it would be the 22mm.

It is tempting to see what the 150-600 would be like on the M5 with it's hybrid senson and Digic 7 processor!! I have used my ef-s 55-250 STM on my son's M3 and it was super.

We live in interesting times. If the M5 had been less than it is then I would have sold off my M kit but I got to try it and I am convinced of it's being my next step.

Finally I am still tempted by the M 28mm macro! I will return to looking at it when I have had the M5 for 6 months!

Steve

A nice fast prime would be great, even if it went to around 1.8. The 28mm macro was a cracking little lens and could be very useful indeed, even at f3.5. I would be very interested in trying my 150-600 on the m5, if at least just to satisfy my curiosity. SO if anyone buys the m5 and are nearby that could be a nice little test to do

Agree on the M3 price drop plus the extra £50 Canon Winter Cashback brings the M3 down below the original M price!

If I wanted an in now on a basic M camera - it would be the M3 not the M10 but I am going for the M5. I can borrow my son's M3 any time so will not need to rush plus it may be interesting to see how Canon UK react after the early adopters take to the M5.

The m5 sadly isn't for me far to pricey and far to bulky, I'm looking forward to what other bodies they release! Will we see an m3 mkii and/or an m20 personally I'd like an m20 with a hotshoe and the 80d sensor but I can't see it happening so I'll take an m3 mkii with the 80d sensor which seems more likely then I can upgrade in a couple of years!

The m5 sadly isn't for me far to pricey and far to bulky, I'm looking forward to what other bodies they release! Will we see an m3 mkii and/or an m20 personally I'd like an m20 with a hotshoe and the 80d sensor but I can't see it happening so I'll take an m3 mkii with the 80d sensor which seems more likely then I can upgrade in a couple of years!
I had eagerly awaited the M3 but felt let down when it arrived. I use my eldest son's M3 but it was not enough to make me jump from my M camera.

I decided to wait for the next M iteration which tutned out to be the M5.

For me the M5 was always going to be the make or break body which would see me either stick with Canon or move to Fuji.

I was unsure about the look of the M5 but it just fitted in my hands and I am now sticking with Canon's M series and I will reduce my DSLR kit.

To be honest, it was a very close run thing between the M5 and the Fuji. I will get the M5 and if after a reasonable time it does not deliver, then I will still be able to go tge Fuji route, even though I have been been with Canon digital since I bought the EOS300D when it arrived. (I still have that kit). I still enjoy the M but I wanted it to go to the next level.

At the end of the day we all want to be comfortable with our kit. The wide developmdnt of high quality CSC is great and as we get older, it offers a more is less bag of goodies! A rummage through the classified section shows more TP'ers downsizing from DSLR to CSC, many of whom are seeking lighter and flexible smsll bag solutions.

Last edited:
I had eagerly awaited the M3 but felt let down when it arrived. I use my eldest son's M3 but it was not enough to make me jump from my M camera.

I decided to wait for the next M iteration which tutned out to be the M5.

For me the M5 was always going to be the make or break body which would see me either stick with Canon or move to Fuji.

I was unsure about the look of the M5 but it just fitted in my hands and I am now sticking with Canon's M series and I will reduce my DSLR kit.

To be honest, it was a very close run thing between the M5 and the Fuji. I will get the M5 and if after a reasonable time it does not deliver, then I will still be able to go tge Fuji route, even though I have been been with Canon digital since I bought the EOS300D when it arrived. (I still have that kit). I still enjoy the M but I wanted it to go to the next level.

At the end of the day we all want to be comfortable with our kit. The wide developmdnt of high quality CSC is great and as we get older, it offers a more is less bag of goodies! A rummage through the classified section shows more TP'ers downsizing from DSLR to CSC, many of whom are seeking lighter and flexible smsll bag solutions.

The M5 certainly looks good although it's rather expensive. The issue for me is the lens range - I don't understand why Canon aren't coming out with more native M lenses. Using EF and EF-S lenses on the adapter is a very poor stop-gap in my view.

The M5 certainly looks good although it's rather expensive. The issue for me is the lens range - I don't understand why Canon aren't coming out with more native M lenses. Using EF and EF-S lenses on the adapter is a very poor stop-gap in my view.
I agree but considering there was onlt 2 M lenses and now 7, it is an improvement of sorts. Tamron and Samyang make M mount lenses as well.

I would prefer to see some high quality 'primes' !and will use the Canon and Sigma primes. As mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art. At this time of the year my walkabout M kit is the M10 body with 22mm f/2 psncake and the Sig 30mm f/1.4 Art.. Very comfortable in use and on my recent tour of Ireland, that combination was pretty much used 50% of the time with a few trips with the EF-S 10-18 IS for UWA seascapes and the EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake for a standard lens reach. Still a very portable lightweight kit supported by a Manfrotto BeFree One tripod.

Not ideal but perfectly workable. I ndver once felt I needed anything else cor coasta shoots.

If Canon are serious about regarding the M5 as an add on to 'pro' kit then a range of pro primes will be a must.

Steve

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Or maybe an M4 ?
Wonder why they left that out of the sequence, I'm kinda hoping it will be the next version of the stripped down basic camera to follow on from the M3/M10.

I can certainly see the attraction of the M5, looks to be a good step forward in development and ideal for those who want to do away with the DSLR to a more compact system. If I wanted to downsize completely, I could see myself getting one when the price came down a bit, but thats not the direction for me at present, I still like the bulk of a DSLR in my hands for certain subjects.

I'm just glad that Canon are continuing to develop the M system and dont feel the need to get every new thing that gets released. If it continues to expand, there will be more items to pick and choose from. I still get a great deal of enjoyment from the original M and a 22mm attached, so maybe I'm not very demanding, or their target market;)

A different video I hadn't seen until last night. I look forward to seeing tests on how fast the camera shoots, I want it to be as fast as the likes of sony and panasonic, I know it has the digic 7 and fast fps, but I really do want to see how quick you can go from shooting one picture to another in a quickly changing environment, like fast trains, This was where I felt even the m3 was to slow.

View: https://youtu.be/7qaYzZ5krrw

Last edited:
Or maybe an M4 ?
Wonder why they left that out of the sequence, I'm kinda hoping it will be the next version of the stripped down basic camera to follow on from the M3/M10.
Japanese manufacturers often leave number 4 out of a product naming scheme as the Japanese for 4 is a very similar sounding word to their word for death.

Japanese manufacturers often leave number 4 out of a product naming scheme as the Japanese for 4 is a very similar sounding word to their word for death.

Didn't know that, you learn something new around here everyday, thanks.

The thread about where to next with the M range of kit had me wandéing through the net to see if there are deals for the EF-M 11-22mm.

Canon have added a £30 cashback on the lens till 17Jan 2017.

Castle Cameras have it listed at £295 delivered so a net price of £265.

My original tipping point was set at £250.

Very tempted so decision tomorrow !

Steve

Or maybe an M4 ?

I can certainly see the attraction of the M5, looks to be a good step forward in development and ideal for those who want to do away with the DSLR to a more compact system. If I wanted to downsize completely, I could see myself getting one when the price came down a bit, but thats not the direction for me at present, I still like the bulk of a DSLR in my hands for certain subjects.

I'm just glad that Canon are continuing to develop the M system and dont feel the need to get every new thing that gets released. If it continues to expand, there will be more items to pick and choose from. I still get a great deal of enjoyment from the original M and a 22mm attached, so maybe I'm not very demanding, or their target market;)

I probably use my m and 22mm more than any other camera these days. The user interface is great and the form factor perfect for me. I'd just like the better af and image quality the 80d sensor would bring anyone handy with a soldering iron?

A different video I hadn't seen until last night. I look forward to seeing tests on how fast the camera shoots, I want it to be as fast as the likes of sony and panasonic, I know it has the digic 7 and fast fps, but I really do want to see how quick you can go from shooting one picture to another in a quickly changing environment, like fast trains, This was where I felt even the m3 was to slow.

View: https://youtu.be/7qaYzZ5krrw

I've got the Silver M then the M3 when it came out & now the M5.! was Canon already thinking M5 when M3 came, such a short time between them.

Mega deal at argos for m3 with 15-45 kit lens and free canon neck strap and free £10 argos voucher with no minimum spend.

I just cancelled my order to replace. Pay £429 today claim, £50 at Canon winter cash back and then get 10% from Qudico so £42.90 bringing price to £336.10!!

Mega deal at argos for m3 with 15-45 kit lens and free canon neck strap and free £10 argos voucher with no minimum spend.

I just cancelled my order to replace. Pay £429 today claim, £50 at Canon winter cash back and then get 10% from Qudico so £42.90 bringing price to £336.10!!
That Canon stuck the M3 into their Winter Cashback was a big step to hitting the affordability button.

One of my friends is going for the M3 to add to his M kit, and with the cashback he os well pleased. I will point him at the deal you built.

Spec/price wise that kit is offering much more than the basic 1300D DSLR entry level kit for only a few quid difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CU8J...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B01CU8JQ2W

It's going to hot up in this area. As a side issue I have both the Canon M to EF/EF-S adaptr and a Meike £23 copy which works perfectly well. So add that to the deal you got, it creates a good price for anyone with Canon fit lenses to move to mirrorless.... gently.

Steve

M5 is what the m3 should have been I reckon.
So looks like the M3 price is going to drop like the M did, perhaps Canon should do us a trade in deal for what is/or seems there manufactured mistakes to bring out the M5 so soon.

So looks like the M3 price is going to drop like the M did, perhaps Canon should do us a trade in deal for what is/or seems there manufactured mistakes to bring out the M5 so soon.
Interesting thought. I think that Argos shifting the M kit created a surge in interest and ownership.

I had originally dismissed the M as a bit oc a gimmick but I got to try one owned by a local TP member. I was hooked straight away and soon after Argos were selling the M kit of Camera/kit lens and 90EX speedlight for £199 in any of 4 finishes. A bargain. Came with a £10 gift card too!

I did not take to the M3 but if Argos was to flog an M3 kit off at £199 I would 'fill my boots'. [emoji6]

I probably use my m and 22mm more than any other camera these days. The user interface is great and the form factor perfect for me. I'd just like the better af and image quality the 80d sensor would bring anyone handy with a soldering iron?

LOL, wish it was that easy, I would have my soldering iron warming up ready:)
Having said that, I dont really find the original M lacking, if it died tomorrow I would happily get another to replace it.

Certainly seems that Canon are now embracing mirrorless fully. Hopefully they will follow a similar path to what they are doing with the Powershot range with the M's, offering both a mini DSLR type (G5x/M5) alongside the cleaner compact design (G7x/G9x/M/M2/M3/M10).

LOL, wish it was that easy, I would have my soldering iron warming up ready:)
Having said that, I dont really find the original M lacking, if it died tomorrow I would happily get another to replace it.

Certainly seems that Canon are now embracing mirrorless fully. Hopefully they will follow a similar path to what they are doing with the Powershot range with the M's, offering both a mini DSLR type (G5x/M5) alongside the cleaner compact design (G7x/G9x/M/M2/M3/M10).

I would certainly replace my m if it does tomorrow which I'm not so sure I would if my 5d mkii did!

I'm hoping they will have 3 lines of mirrorless going forward m5 for those wanting an slr like experience, m3 for those wanting a compact body with lots of controls, m10 entry level compact body. Would seem to fit well with what they do in the slr world and wouldn't risk loosing the popular sales the m series has generated in Asia.

If Argos do start selling the m3 for £200 I will snap one up!

Interesting thought. I think that Argos shifting the M kit created a surge in interest and ownership.

I had originally dismissed the M as a bit oc a gimmick but I got to try one owned by a local TP member. I was hooked straight away and soon after Argos were selling the M kit of Camera/kit lens and 90EX speedlight for £199 in any of 4 finishes. A bargain. Came with a £10 gift card too!

I did not take to the M3 but if Argos was to flog an M3 kit off at £199 I would 'fill my boots'. [emoji6]

The only thing that will keep the M3 price is if Canon continue to sell them, imo I think they will stop selling why else bring out the M5 so soon.

The only thing that will keep the M3 price is if Canon continue to sell them, imo I think they will stop selling why else bring out the M5 so soon.

I agree with you there. The price crash of the M was, in all likelihood, a reaction by Canon to low M sales, stock in 4 different finishes and an established market with Fuji and the MFT kit already there.

The other dynamic is the perceptible shift by many on TP to 'smaller' kit. This may be a trend to redefine need, peer group pressure, a capital investment in a constant need to have the 'best' etc. My slow shift to CSC environment relates primarily to an age/health issue. When I was younger I could happily head off with a 400 size bag complete with a sturdy tripod without a second thought. Now I can load my motorhome with whatever kit I have and just load a 150 size bag and a carbon tripod.....

In fact the M kit can even prove uncomfortable IF I do not exercise restraint!

I seem to be searching for a balance and in the M kit I hsve now it's nearly there. The 80D interested me but I hung on. The M5 is essentially an 80D but with DIGIC 7 and no mirror. I am hoping for more M Prime lenses from Canon. I know my bag weight/size/lens choice is spot on when it all fits a 100 size bag with M5 and 3 primes, 2 spare batteries, a sandwich a8nd a bottle of water....

Interesting times but I rarely use my DSLR kit these days.

CSC quality has improved rapidly in a short time.... Where to next I wonder.

Steve

Last edited:

Not sure that 18 months between models is that short a time really, even for conservative Canon;)
With the rate of development in mirrorless, I guess we can expect regular new releases until things reach a plateau, then they will flatten out with only incremental advances between models. Interesting times indeed.

Last edited:
The m5 was not on my radar at all. It looks like a nice camera and the kit lens offers something different to others. The lack of primes would stop me from buying though.

I'd be all over that like a 'fat bloke in a pie shop' too, although can't see it happening. Please update here if anyone see it though :D

I'd be all over that like a 'fat bloke in a pie shop' too, although can't see it happening. Please update here if anyone see it though :D

If the price did start to drop on the M3 then it may well stunt the sales of M5, be interesting which way Canon go with M3's future.

They could quite happily sit along side each other as they are very different and will appeal to different people I don't see the m5 and the m3 as direct competition.

Gave the repair company a phone call this morning to check on the status of my M body. Domestic and general have accepted the repair cost estimate, so apparently the camera is at canon now being repaired, I should have it back in around a couple of weeks. Very surprised to hear that they accepted the repair, I thought they were going to right it off.

Oh and park cameras have there Christmas shopping event on December 3rd I asked if they would have the Eos M5 to play with, the answer was all being well yes. Just incase anyone is near by and fancies a hands on

Last edited:
Gave the repair company a phone call this morning to check on the status of my M body. Domestic and general have accepted the repair cost estimate, so apparently the camera is at canon now being repaired, I should have it back in around a couple of weeks. Very surprised to hear that they accepted the repair, I thought they were going to right it off.

Oh and park cameras have there Christmas shopping event on December 3rd I asked if they would have the Eos M5 to play with, the answer was all being well yes. Just incase anyone is near by and fancies a hands on
I was hooked on the M5 as soon as I got to hold it.... less than 10 minutes of 'real play'.

I thinm some will be very impressed despite reservations.

Back