Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Looks like I will be getting My M back from canon in the next few days..:)

Performance
was in 21 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 22 days waiting est
Repair Info
replaced main body assembly.front base. shutter mount. shutter assembly. contact assembly. top. rear & front cover assembly. battery box & main pcb assembly. realigned body. checked all functions and tested.
Estimate details
*re-estimated* camera has suffered fluid ingress all over. unit requires main pcb. top cover. shutter assembly. battery box. front cover. front base. rear cover. contact assembly. spring mount. mount and setup

Looks like I will be getting My M back from canon in the next few days..:)

Performance
was in 21 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 22 days waiting est
Repair Info
replaced main body assembly.front base. shutter mount. shutter assembly. contact assembly. top. rear & front cover assembly. battery box & main pcb assembly. realigned body. checked all functions and tested.
Estimate details
*re-estimated* camera has suffered fluid ingress all over. unit requires main pcb. top cover. shutter assembly. battery box. front cover. front base. rear cover. contact assembly. spring mount. mount and setup
Insane amount of work and cost for the insurance company. Beggars belief really. Anyway you'll get back a brand new camera in essence. [emoji106]

Insane amount of work and cost for the insurance company. Beggars belief really. Anyway you'll get back a brand new camera in essence. [emoji106]

Seems a heck of a lot doesn't it! I'd be interested to know the total cost of repair, but yes it will be nice to have it back after expecting it to be written off.

Yeh, sounds like it would be simpler to list which bits they kept from the original:)
Good to hear you are getting it back though, enjoy your new camera.

Ive been wanting to test out the lens on my M3 but no one near me stocks it & not seen any reviews so be interested with you opion of the lens.

Aww look what I found,

Last edited:
M5 review at dpreview a shame this had not been addressed "Shutter blackout (either in the viewfinder or on the screen) is longer than most competitors at this point; it's long enough to be a problem even with subjects moving at modest speeds and at moderate focal lengths" (from there review) Was hoping canon had finally got fully up to speed with this one...

Looking to order an M5 in the next few days and sell my trusty 5d3, just how disappointed will I be???

Looking to order an M5 in the next few days and sell my trusty 5d3, just how disappointed will I be???
I have had 2 goes with the M5 and am going to go for it. Tried it with the 15-45 and 22mm - very good. Not been able to try the 18-150 M lens yet. Stuck the EF-S 10-18 on it and got a 'wow' moment. If you lime the M,M2,M3 or M10 then the M5 will not disappoint. It is no pocker wondee, even with the 22mm pancake fitted.

Delayed ordering one as I had a stroke early in December which affected my left side limbs. Rehab is working well and I was able to hold my DSLR properly earliee this week for the first time in a month! I cannot face umpacking the M5 to let it sit there unused!

Roll on Spring!

Steve

Delayed ordering one as I had a stroke early in December which affected my left side limbs. Rehab is working well and I was able to hold my DSLR properly earliee this week for the first time in a month! I cannot face umpacking the M5 to let it sit there unused!

Roll on Spring!

Steve

Get well soon mate

I have had 2 goes with the M5 and am going to go for it. Tried it with the 15-45 and 22mm - very good. Not been able to try the 18-150 M lens yet. Stuck the EF-S 10-18 on it and got a 'wow' moment. If you lime the M,M2,M3 or M10 then the M5 will not disappoint. It is no pocker wondee, even with the 22mm pancake fitted.

Roll on Spring!

Steve

Thanks Steve, that's really reassuring to hear!

My father suffered with a stroke last year, luckily he's made a good recovery but know it can take time. Keep going and all the best. Hope to see (and compare) some images soon!

These arrived yesterday
i31qs9Wl.jpg

Not had a proper chance to play but impressed so far.

Interested to hear your thoughts once you've had a play. It's definitely as ugly as I feared though!

Interested to hear your thoughts once you've had a play. It's definitely as ugly as I feared though!
Yes I wasn't convinced by its looks initially but it's very comfy to use, the short play I've had its very easy to use one handed through the viewfinder whilst tracking on the screen with my thumb.

CPB caught my eye today

Jessops are doing the EF-M 28mm macrolite lens for £229! WEX have it at £295!

I am tempted!

Steve

Ordered the EF-M 28mm - resistance was futile....

M5 next - will move my red M body on then...

Getting closer to Spring when a youn man's (read as old git) fancy turns to...... Macro

Steve I was thinking the same but when I checked camelcamelcamel it has been down to £179 before Christmas from Amazon

Steve I was thinking the same but when I checked camelcamelcamel it has been down to £179 before Christmas from Amazon

I can't see that if a look on camelcamelcamel. Claims current price is the cheapest
http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Canon-EF-M-28mm-Macro-Lens/product/B01FH4H30I

Edit: I see now. It was a 3rd party. Potentially could have therefore been a scammer where they ask you to email them before paying and try to get you to pay outside of Amazon marketplace

Last edited:
Hmmmm what to do? I was planning on getting the 11-22mm first
Amazon is back up to £294 at 22:45 and Jessops still £229 for the 28mm.

I have held off from the 11-22 as I am very comfy with the EF-S 10-18 IS on the M10, for now. If the 11-22 drops below £260 them........

The prime 28mm gives a 45mm (44.8mm) equivalent to 35mm fim camera equivalent or a normal eyesight field of view. The EF 40mm pancake works well on the M series but I am moving to aneven more lightweight kit. so walkabout street/landscape is 15-45 on M, 22 or 28 on M10.

Don't get me wrong, I fancy getting the 11-22 but my pot for the M5 is £150 short whereas the 28mm pot was at £210..... I am happy yo wait a bit longer for the M5 while I recover from the stroke I had in December.

Steve

Hope this is the right place for general eos-m queries. Need to make more use of my original eos-m, seems currently either use the dslr or make do with the ever present iphone. To this end wondered
-What straps are people using? Gone down the (swappable) sling & wrist strap route with the dslr recently. Not sure what would work best with the smaller eos-m. Fwiw normally use the kit lens or 22mm.
-Is it worth giving magic lantern a try? From reading I'm assuming there is no increase in focus speed?

Hope this is the right place for general eos-m queries. Need to make more use of my original eos-m, seems currently either use the dslr or make do with the ever present iphone. To this end wondered
-What straps are people using? Gone down the (swappable) sling & wrist strap route with the dslr recently. Not sure what would work best with the smaller eos-m. Fwiw normally use the kit lens or 22mm.
-Is it worth giving magic lantern a try? From reading I'm assuming there is no increase in focus speed?

Check out post 2535 onward with regard to a strap.

As for Magic lantern it's worth it just for focus peaking alone.

Did you use the optech item linked with one of their wrist / neck / sling straps? Assume it's too short to use as a strap on it's own.

Might give ML a go at some point.

No I used a full on Canon DSLR neck strap I'll link it when I get to my pc

EDIT they sold out of the one i bought, it was only £5 though and very good quality.

Last edited:
Did you use the optech item linked with one of their wrist / neck / sling straps? Assume it's too short to use as a strap on it's own.

Might give ML a go at some point.
The basic OpTech is very shor but can be extended as the system is very flexble. Not the cheapest but very well made. My original M has a basic L plate grip with built in Arca QR plate fitted and the OpTech Canon A fit strap with either 1 or 2 extender straps fitted.With the 22mm pancake on the M it is very comfortable for street photography and sits snugly under my winter fleece. The extention straps make tucking the camera away very easy and the grip overcomes handling issues though does add weight.

This is identical to the grip I use

Neewer[emoji768] Black Metal Quick Release L-Plate Bracket Hand Grip for Canon EOS M Camera with Battery Access Fits Arca-Swiss Standard https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K1W7BYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QVMKybMAAGKZG

You need an Allen key to fit and remove it but battery/SD card access is easy as the plate allows access to the batterybdoor.

The QR plate offers Monopod/Tripod facility. On walkabous I have a Manfrotto Pixi tripod fitted with a £5 generic QR clamp like this

Andoer[emoji768] Aluminum Quick Release Plate Clamp Compatible with Arca Swiss for 38mm QR Plate https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RK118FS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_J9MKyb5G8E0MH

Useful for video too.

Add a Canon compatible RC switch and all is good to go! Couple of spare batteries and cards finishes off the kit, if needed. Quite a discrete bundle

Steve

Back