Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Which would remove the only remaining advantage of mirrorless, both body and lens size.

If the body doesn't use an adaptor, it needs the same size lens throat as their DSLR's, and uses the same size lenses, what's the point?

It sounds like an April fools joke to me.

Although the saving in bulk advantage would disappear there's still be the advantages a mirrorless body brings such as in view focus and exposure aids and hopefully no mirror and an end to MA-ing.

Although the saving in bulk advantage would disappear there's still be the advantages a mirrorless body brings such as in view focus and exposure aids and hopefully no mirror and an end to MA-ing.
But does the FF market need those things?
It’s only a guess but I think most Canon FF customers are happy with the AF system and know how exposure works without having to ‘see’ it live.

As for MA, I’ve only ever had one camera/lens combo that needed it. :thinking:

But some people seem to spend their lives wrestling with front / back focus issues and it does seem to put a large question mark over buying other and arguably better lenses from Sigma et al.

I initially looked at mirrorless for the bulk and weight savings but as I became more familiar with the cameras the EVF and the things that come with it became big factors for me. I can therefore see that some people could maybe be drawn to a near DSLR sized package with an EVF and its advantages. I think that unless you've spent time with mirrorless the advantages that seeing it live may have for your first time keeper rate may not be apparent.

These things may not matter to Canon users who've only used DSLR's but other factors are probably at play here such as brand loyalty and the number of lenses people own. I used to be a Canon user but I have no real brand loyalty but Canon do seem to have a very loyal following and maybe this together with how many lenses some people already own explains why other manufacturers with more capable cameras fail to knock Canon off the No1 spot.

The M series maybe demonstrates this as even a loyal Canon buyer may grudgingly concede that Canon's mirrorless offerings aren't exactly cutting edge and the range of native lenses is pathetic but the cameras apparently sell well. Why would anyone bother with the arguably under par Canon M range if not for the Canon badge and/or the ability to use Canon DSLR lenses? Maybe I'm being harsh but maybe there's a bit of truth in there :D

Last edited:
I think we’re losing my original point, which is that it doesn’t make much sense for Canon to build a new mirrorless camera that’d share lenses with its SLRs, I think if they were going to produce a FF Mirrorless camera, they’d build a new lens system particularly suited to the format, with some nice pancake lenses. With an EF adaptor available as per the M.

I think it's most likely they'll go for a short registration distance and bundle an adapter to pacify DSLR users and to give them time to build up a mirrorless lens lineup.

And yes I agree that the Current Canon mirrorless system is a bit crap. But it’s getting better (unlike Nikon’s) and now makes more sense (to me) than buying a couple of grands worth of lenses for a camera I only use for fun. I don’t have that much spare cash, and an M5 and 22mm is a better buy than my preferred camera and the 3 or 4 lenses I’d like to own.

I think it's most likely they'll go for a short registration distance and bundle an adapter to pacify DSLR users and to give them time to build up a mirrorless lens lineup.
So do I which was my point.

There'll still be people who'll complain that a CSC is too small and fiddly and that they don't want to use an adapter, maybe a DSLR with an EVF is what they want.

For you for fun use I'd recommend a used GX80 or G80, or maybe not a used one as bargains on new ones crop up, with just two used lenses, a standard or superzoom and a fast prime.

There'll still be people who'll complain that a CSC is too small and fiddly and that they don't want to use an adapter, maybe a DSLR with an EVF is what they want.

For you for fun use I'd recommend a used GX80 or G80, or maybe not a used one as bargains on new ones crop up, with just two used lenses, a standard or superzoom and a fast prime.
I own and use a Fuji, I love using it, but I really want a 23mm and a 90mm, to go with my 35. Then I’d want an upgraded body (my x-e1 isn’t as modern as the M5), which takes me into a budget well beyond an M5 and 22mm (I already have a Canon 35 and 85)

So my reasoning is sound, if I was to go with anyone other than Canon, it’d be Fuji, and my small cheap kit with all the mirrorless advantages and WiFi etc is logical and affordable (I just need to sort myself out). I need to sell the Fuji gear, my 40d and 20d which will almost fund the M5, meanwhile I’m also looking to move all my flash gear to Godox, and do a much needed website update, but I’m busy at work and socially too between now and Christmas (excuses)

Hopefully at the very least it means they might actually be working on some ef-m lenses!

I would rather see some btighter primes. Like a 17mm f/2 or f/1.5

Meike have released an EF-M mount metal manual 35mm f/1.7 for circa £75 - might have a look but I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART....

Meike have released an EF-M mount metal manual 35mm f/1.7 for circa £75 - might have a look but I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART....

Would also love to see Sigma make its crop sensor prime range in ef-m similar to their line up for sony e mount.

Samyang 35mm F1.2 ED AS UMC CS, 24mm F1.4 ED AS UMC, 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS, 12mm F2.0 NCS CS, 21mm F1.4 ED AS UMC CS,50mm F1.2 AS UMC CS and more
All for Canon EF-M fit

Samyang 35mm F1.2 ED AS UMC CS, 24mm F1.4 ED AS UMC, 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS, 12mm F2.0 NCS CS, 21mm F1.4 ED AS UMC CS,50mm F1.2 AS UMC CS and more
All for Canon EF-M fit

Yep

I was aware of them too, amazing that it is only Canon that ignores it’s own range. Admittedly the additional lenses are ‘manual’ but I did not get AF till 2007 but used MF since 1962 so it is relatively simple to use the Samyang/Meike etc kit. That said there are other CSC systems available. so, for now, I will stick with the M range.

Steve

All for Canon EF-M fit
I’m used to M.F too (didn’t AF till 2001) but that was with focus aids. How do these rate with no focus aids? I’m not a meddler, I have no desire to ‘exprriment’ I take photos.

I’m used to M.F too (didn’t AF till 2001) but that was with focus aids. How do these rate with no focus aids? I’m not a meddler, I have no desire to ‘exprriment’ I take photos.
You do have focus aids called focus peaking You get a red outlined around anything in focus (colour can be changed) also with very wide lens you get such depth of focus it's not that hard.

You do have focus aids called focus peaking You get a red outlined around anything in focus (colour can be changed) also with very wide lens you get such depth of focus it's not that hard.
I thought I’d read there was no focus peaking on the M series, is that just the older ones?

Magic lantern adds focus peaking on my M.

The M5 is what I'm interested in.

I am finding the M5 to be the most surprising camera body I have used to date. It is why I am sticking with Canon and did not ‘go Fuji’. My recent New England trip was done with just the M5 and M lenses which worked fine. Nice lightweight set up and quite capable, the usual suspects stood out though - 22mm Pancake, 11-22 and 55-200.

I am finding the M5 to be the most surprising camera body I have used to date. It is why I am sticking with Canon and did not ‘go Fuji’. My recent New England trip was done with just the M5 and M lenses which worked fine. Nice lightweight set up and quite capable, the usual suspects stood out though - 22mm Pancake, 11-22 and 55-200.
I’ve recently purchased the M5 and added the 22mm & 11-22mm M lenses to run alongside my existing EF kit. I have to say I’m impressed so far with it and believe I’m going to grow to like it more as I get to use it.
Initial thoughts are that it’s a huge leap forward and now comes close to some of the DSLRs that I’ve used in the past. I’m still to test it properly as time hasn’t really allowed yet but so far no regrets at all.

Well i try to use the M5 rvery day to push myself into learning all it’s foibles and capabilities, however, this Thursday the Bath Christmas Market opens and I will be down there to capture the stupidity, sorry the festivity of the crowds. I will be taking my M6 down from the altae I worship it on, adding the 22mm andrespendent in a warm coat will attempt to survive the madness! I would not want to take a camera I had to raise to my eye and so I will have my old Weston light meter and hopefully bracket enough shots to get some of the atmosphere... hmm chaos!

https://bathchristmasmarket.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMHZxcPQ1wIVz7ftCSPAMIgMyEAAYASAAEgLuIvD_BwE

It is interesting to wander after the market closes and the nightly clear up gets under way. It can be a ‘push the ISO’ moment but since the old bus station was torn out and the faux Georgian rebuild replaced it, along with the refurbishment of the railway station which saw the platform level car park dug out to create a Piazza at street level, the place is more pedestrian friendly. Worth a visit if you haven’t been for a decade or two!

My M5 set up is Canon Pancake 22mm Canon 18 -55 Canon 55-200 and just looking at getting the Samyang 8mm fisheye to compleat, all carried in a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i bag a great designed bag for this system so much easier than all my D7 kit. I just wish they made some M fit lens with say f/2.8 throughout the zoom as all my dSLR kit is.

I bought into the M series originally for the size which meant being able to fit the 11-22mm, 22mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm into a easily transportable bag.
All the talk of fast lenses (especially zooms) surely does away with the idea of a small portable system and I may as well just carry my DSLR and lenses.

Hdews price of £539 for the m5 body is great, just wish everything else hadn't demanded the money!

£519 at Portusdigital but HDew would be my first port of call

Steve

I am finding the M5 to be the most surprising camera body I have used to date.
Can you elaborate? Is the M6 equally as surprising...? As an M3 user I keep wondering about upgrading to the M6 (I have the EVF already) but I've been underwhelmed by the M3 (and the lens range) which doesn't encourage me to throw more money their way...

I thought I’d read there was no focus peaking on the M series, is that just the older ones?
My M10 has focus peaking. Works quite well from my limited experiments.

The M5 is what I'm interested in.

....Hi Phil, you have probably read my enthusiastic posts about the M5 when I first had it. I am still enthusiastic about it but of course I have now had more time and use to learn its limitations, but these are only limitations in the context of my personal use.

The most fundamental aspect of my particular use is that I ONLY mount EF lenses on it and all L lenses except a 40mm 'pancake'. So, I have nothing to contribute regarding other lenses mounted on the M5.

Regarding image quality, if you inspect my 'EOS M5' Album on Flickr I am confident you will agree that the IQ is absolutely equal to crop-sensor shots on the 7D Mark II (and probably 80D which I don't own).

Here is a link to my 'EOS M5' Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157683996949495

Personally I am still not 100% about EVFs but otherwise I find the physical controls just a little bit fiddly when I switch with the EOS D-SLR larger bodies. But that's the compromise I accept to then be able to gain the more compact size - There's no such thing as the perfect camera!

So my conclusion is because the IQ potential is so high on the EOS M5, it doesn't make sense NOT to mount high quality EF lenses. This is opposite to how some folks think about the M5.

Well my granddaughter will be getting a virtually new, boxed M10 with kit lens for Christmas, which i picked up very cheap, the selfie screen will be ideal for her YouTube vlogs.

Last edited:
....Hi Phil, you have probably read my enthusiastic posts about the M5 when I first had it. I am still enthusiastic about it but of course I have now had more time and use to learn its limitations, but these are only limitations in the context of my personal use.

The most fundamental aspect of my particular use is that I ONLY mount EF lenses on it and all L lenses except a 40mm 'pancake'. So, I have nothing to contribute regarding other lenses mounted on the M5.

Regarding image quality, if you inspect my 'EOS M5' Album on Flickr I am confident you will agree that the IQ is absolutely equal to crop-sensor shots on the 7D Mark II (and probably 80D which I don't own).

Here is a link to my 'EOS M5' Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157683996949495

Personally I am still not 100% about EVFs but otherwise I find the physical controls just a little bit fiddly when I switch with the EOS D-SLR larger bodies. But that's the compromise I accept to then be able to gain the more compact size - There's no such thing as the perfect camera!

So my conclusion is because the IQ potential is so high on the EOS M5, it doesn't make sense NOT to mount high quality EF lenses. This is opposite to how some folks think about the M5.
This is true but as I wanted smaller and lighter gear because of my arthritis so the small lens are helpful. for studio work, I not mind the weight so much.

£519 at Portusdigital but HDew would be my first port of call

Steve

£480 ish at Eglobal but heard mixed reports, I went with the safe option of HDEW. Always liked the M series, had the original M with 18-55 and then M3 with 11-22, 22, 55-200 but sold the lot as wanted a built in viewfinder, the M5 fits the bill perfectly for me.

£480 ish at Eglobal but heard mixed reports, I went with the safe option of HDEW. Always liked the M series, had the original M with 18-55 and then M3 with 11-22, 22, 55-200 but sold the lot as wanted a built in viewfinder, the M5 fits the bill perfectly for me.

Mine came from HDEW too! It’s performance is extremely good and I am constantly surprised zt the results I get. The 11-22. 22 and 55-200 makes up my main M setup but whilst I have the 28mm macrolite, I prefer the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC ART for walkabout and street (on the M6). The faster lens is great in the evenings at this time of the year.

I have had no problems with eGlobal but HDEW provides warranty and though I have not needed it, at least it is there!

Mine came from HDEW too! It’s performance is extremely good and I am constantly surprised zt the results I get. The 11-22. 22 and 55-200 makes up my main M setup but whilst I have the 28mm macrolite, I prefer the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC ART for walkabout and street (on the M6). The faster lens is great in the evenings at this time of the year.

I have had no problems with eGlobal but HDEW provides warranty and though I have not needed it, at least it is there!

Eglobal i understand ship from China so could take a while too, plus warranty situation as you mentioned.

I quite fancy the Mitakon Zhongyi 35mm f/0.95 but tracking one down is not easy, nowhere seems to have any stock. I had the Samyang 50mm 1.2 on the M3 as well but found manual focus tricky without a viewfinder and it was a touch long so the Mitakon should be better for me, if I could find one...

My M10 has focus peaking. Works quite well from my limited experiments.

Yes Focus peaking was introduced on the M3 and all models since have had it featured.
The original M can use Magic Lantern which includes Focus Peaking, so it only really the M2 that doesn't have the ability.

Back