Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Cheers! Do you think it worth investing in dedicated "M" lens? As I was thinking of the normal 55-250 STM so its backward compatible, if that makes sense?

Really depends what you are looking for.
If you want something compact to go with the small form of the M3, then the ef-m 55-200mm would be the better bet.
If on the other hand you want it for bird photography (as your post above) more length and a faster max aperture are going to be a benefit, so the ef-s 55-250 would be the more suitably, though going even longer would bring more benefits.
Unfortunately, more length also comes with a higher price tag too, so it's always going to be about compromises.

Really depends what you are looking for.
If you want something compact to go with the small form of the M3, then the ef-m 55-200mm would be the better bet.
If on the other hand you want it for bird photography (as your post above) more length and a faster max aperture are going to be a benefit, so the ef-s 55-250 would be the more suitably, though going even longer would bring more benefits.
Unfortunately, more length also comes with a higher price tag too, so it's always going to be about compromises.
Steve B and Sellotape

Both are very good lenses and as Steve B notes, the 55-250's extra reach is useful.

By luck I have both lenses, even though I have been off-loading many of my EF/EF-S lenses.

In terms of price, E-Global are doing the EF-S 55-250 STM for £119 and the EF-M 55-200 for £132, delivered from France so no duty.

In essence you could get both for around the same price as buying the 55-200 at the UK retail price of £245 (WEX/Amazon/Park) is worth considering as a decision factor.

The size/weight benefit of the smaller M lens is crucial for me but the quality of results with the 55-250 is reason alone to buy/keep it for me. Daft as it seems, I am tempted to buy a second 55-250!

I wish I had taken the longer lens on my recent trip to New England but one of the group had his EF 100-400 so I did have options for the M5 and, apart from that, I stuck with the M kit.

Buying both lenses is an option if the 'greyish market is acceptable.

Steve

Last edited:
Few of recent trip to London - nothing incredible but great fun to use the M3 with 200mm 2.8!

IMG_0627.JPGIMG_0635.JPG
You’d recognize this blue crest any place!
IMG_0634.JPG
Show shining.. how the other half live!IMG_0628.JPGIMG_0631.JPGIMG_0632.JPGIMG_0633.JPGIMG_0626.JPG
The look of a chap exiting his Aston Martin!

Last edited:

Have read the review and felt that the spin of the M100 for use with the adapter and EF/EF-S lenses does not fit with Canon's 'fashion accessory' push in it's advertising.

Price is also an issue. With Canon's £40 cashback last year, I picked up a new UK stock M10 body for £159 instead of the £199 list from Jessops. The M100 body is listing at £449 cheapest on CPB. (There is £50 cashback from Canon UK running. The M10 body is still available for £199.

Comparing specs between the 2 bodies, IMHO, does not justify a £250 (£200 after current Winter Cashback) price differential.

- 24.2 megapixels v 18 megapixels

- 49 af points common on both models

- Digic 7 processor Vs Digic 6 processor

- EOS M100 has Bluetooth connectivity EOS M10 does not

- EOS M100 makes full use of the Canon Connect Phone App for Android/iOS over the EOS M10 which comes down to the M100 Bluetooth Connectivity and a link to add location info to the picture file (using mobile phone location data - useful IMO). The EOS M5 and M6 have the same facility.

Overall if the extra file size/BT/processor power etc meets the need over the M10 then it is a no brained but realistically an M10 buy would leave £200 off say an EF-M 11-22 UWA lens which is a super (IMO) for the M bodies.

I also balance that with having both an M5 and M6. My M10 is in use by my new partner and she has got the bug but early days yet, and the M10/22mm pancake is proving s big hit!

Onwards with the M bug.... What next from Canon? I dhave doubts about the appeal of the M100 once the iPhone X arrives, but it is a wait and see. We need the M cameras to blossom in order for Canon to build the range more.

Steve

Have read the review and felt that the spin of the M100 for use with the adapter and EF/EF-S lenses does not fit with Canon's 'fashion accessory' push in it's advertising.

Price is also an issue. With Canon's £40 cashback last year, I picked up a new UK stock M10 body for £159 instead of the £199 list from Jessops. The M100 body is listing at £449 cheapest on CPB. (There is £50 cashback from Canon UK running. The M10 body is still available for £199.

Comparing specs between the 2 bodies, IMHO, does not justify a £250 (£200 after current Winter Cashback) price differential.

- 24.2 megapixels v 18 megapixels

- 49 af points common on both models

- Digic 7 processor Vs Digic 6 processor

- EOS M100 has Bluetooth connectivity EOS M10 does not

- EOS M100 makes full use of the Canon Connect Phone App for Android/iOS over the EOS M10 which comes down to the M100 Bluetooth Connectivity and a link to add location info to the picture file (using mobile phone location data - useful IMO). The EOS M5 and M6 have the same facility.

Overall if the extra file size/BT/processor power etc meets the need over the M10 then it is a no brained but realistically an M10 buy would leave £200 off say an EF-M 11-22 UWA lens which is a super (IMO) for the M bodies.

I also balance that with having both an M5 and M6. My M10 is in use by my new partner and she has got the bug but early days yet, and the M10/22mm pancake is proving s big hit!

Onwards with the M bug.... What next from Canon? I dhave doubts about the appeal of the M100 once the iPhone X arrives, but it is a wait and see. We need the M cameras to blossom in order for Canon to build the range more.

Steve

Yes, when a straight comparison with the M10 is done, it does highlight what a bargain the M10 is now the price has dropped. As always the launch price does seem high when compared with the model being replaced, that's nothing new ;)

Couple of other improvements in there too. The faster autofocus as it uses the same system as the M5/6. It has BULB mode which the M10 doesn't, that stopped me from getting an M10, as I do a lot of long exposures.
Though not aimed at the likes of us, the enhanced AUTO functions I can see as a positive for those moving up from a phone and I would imagine would be a nice relaxing way of shooting when used as a walkabout point and shoot camera. Using a slider or swipe action to alter the exposure and depth of field is quite a neat idea really and ideal for a casual shooter that doesn't want to get bogged down with f stops and shutter speeds.

All in it seems to me an ideal beginners camera with the ability to be used in a more advanced way as knowledge is gained.

Will I be getting one? I very much doubt it, certainly not at launch price, even with the cashback :)

Yes, when a straight comparison with the M10 is done, it does highlight what a bargain the M10 is now the price has dropped. As always the launch price does seem high when compared with the model being replaced, that's nothing new ;)

Couple of other improvements in there too. The faster autofocus as it uses the same system as the M5/6. It has BULB mode which the M10 doesn't, that stopped me from getting an M10, as I do a lot of long exposures.
Though not aimed at the likes of us, the enhanced AUTO functions I can see as a positive for those moving up from a phone and I would imagine would be a nice relaxing way of shooting when used as a walkabout point and shoot camera. Using a slider or swipe action to alter the exposure and depth of field is quite a neat idea really and ideal for a casual shooter that doesn't want to get bogged down with f stops and shutter speeds.

All in it seems to me an ideal beginners camera with the ability to be used in a more advanced way as knowledge is gained.

Will I be getting one? I very much doubt it, certainly not at launch price, even with the cashback :)
Back to features versus benefits really.

Having the M5/M6 pairing puts my view of what the M100 has to offer me on a different level.

Irrespective of the M100 price and in the absence of a prime M lens selection, the fact that Canon have released another M body is good so see and somewhat reassuring.

Steve

Having the M5/M6 pairing puts my view of what the M100 has to offer me on a different level.

That's a good point Steve, I'm currently considering a second M body, so I'm weighing up the pro's a con's of the different models to see which would give the best value, so looking at it from a different perspective.
I had just about settled on the M6, but my car failed it's MOT last week which busted the budget, so having to have a rethink sadly.
Never mind, I'm still happy using the original M, the EF-M 22mm will just have to wait a bit longer for it's own dedicated body :)

That's a good point Steve, I'm currently considering a second M body, so I'm weighing up the pro's a con's of the different models to see which would give the best value, so looking at it from a different perspective.
I had just about settled on the M6, but my car failed it's MOT last week which busted the budget, so having to have a rethink sadly.
Never mind, I'm still happy using the original M, the EF-M 22mm will just have to wait a bit longer for it's own dedicated body :)

My M6 is used mostly with the 22mm pancake fitted and frankly it is a natural.

The other lens used is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART which I bought as the ef-m 28mm was not fast enough.

When the time comes you will enjoy the handling of the M6/22mm pairing.

Steve

When the time comes you will enjoy the handling of the M6/22mm pairing.

LOL, I know, thats the problem :)
Maybe I will pick up a used original M just to tide me over for now, they are cheap enough to make it a possible short term solution.

LOL, I know, thats the problem :)
Maybe I will pick up a used original M just to tide me over for now, they are cheap enough to make it a possible short term solution.

I have an original red M body coming back to me shortly. I lent it to my niece when she went to Uni on her journalism/photography course. Her paternal grandmother is buying her an M5 for her upcoming birthday so she will be returning the M to me.Might be worth putting in on here.

Steve

I have an original red M body coming back to me shortly. I lent it to my niece when she went to Uni on her journalism/photography course. Her paternal grandmother is buying her an M5 for her upcoming birthday so she will be returning the M to me.Might be worth putting in on here.

Steve

Thanks for the thought Steve, I'm not in a rush so plenty of thinking time ahead.

Was thinkng of purchasing a compact for when out walking with the dog but interested in the m range after seeing this. Was thinking the original m but now may look at the m10 as don't want to spend any more than £200 with a kit lens any thoughts?

Was thinkng of purchasing a compact for when out walking with the dog but interested in the m range after seeing this. Was thinking the original m but now may look at the m10 as don't want to spend any more than £200 with a kit lens any thoughts?

If you have Canon kit already then an M10 body and £25 Meike ef/ef-s - ef-m adapter will hit £225

The M kit lens (18-55) can be picked up on EBay for around £70 new(white box) or used around the £60 mark.

The superb 22mm f/2 pancake is around the £100-130 mark.

Used original M bodies range from £90 upwards on EBay so whilst not an M10 it would be the way in. Equally some of the original M kit bundles turn up on Gumtree around the £160-200 mark with the body, kit lens and 90EX speedlight.

The wireless aspect on the M10 is great especially with the Canon Connect app but a Toshiba Flashair SD card will add wireless to an M for ‘in the field’ transfer to Android/iOS devices (the new W-04 SDXC versions have been released but the W-03 SDHC versions work fine too).

£200 might be a push for an M10 but relatively easy for an original M.

The kit M10 with the 15-45 lens sometimes pop up around £250-270 mark but not seen them cheaper new. The shorter compact lens is nice but the widest aperture jumps to f/6.3 at the longer end which is a pain at times (street at dusk etc).

Hope that helps but give Gumtree a look despite it’s perceive as being dodgy.

Steve.

If you have Canon kit already then an M10 body and £25 Meike ef/ef-s - ef-m adapter will hit £225

The M kit lens (18-55) can be picked up on EBay for around £70 new(white box) or used around the £60 mark.

The superb 22mm f/2 pancake is around the £100-130 mark.

Used original M bodies range from £90 upwards on EBay so whilst not an M10 it would be the way in. Equally some of the original M kit bundles turn up on Gumtree around the £160-200 mark with the body, kit lens and 90EX speedlight.

The wireless aspect on the M10 is great especially with the Canon Connect app but a Toshiba Flashair SD card will add wireless to an M for ‘in the field’ transfer to Android/iOS devices (the new W-04 SDXC versions have been released but the W-03 SDHC versions work fine too).

£200 might be a push for an M10 but relatively easy for an original M.

The kit M10 with the 15-45 lens sometimes pop up around £250-270 mark but not seen them cheaper new. The shorter compact lens is nice but the widest aperture jumps to f/6.3 at the longer end which is a pain at times (street at dusk etc).

Hope that helps but give Gumtree a look despite it’s perceive as being dodgy.

Steve.
Many thanks for that I've seen the m for around £90 and the 18-55 for £60 from a dealer with 12 month warranty. And an m10 with 15-45 for £200 on eBay. I don't have any canon lenses so would pick up an adapter and a 50-250 and 50 1.8 later if I get on with the system.

Many thanks for that I've seen the m for around £90 and the 18-55 for £60 from a dealer with 12 month warranty. And an m10 with 15-45 for £200 on eBay. I don't have any canon lenses so would pick up an adapter and a 50-250 and 50 1.8 later if I get on with the system.

The EBay route can yield can yield the odd bargain but cavveat emptir applies in all deals across the ether and more so for Gumtree!

The 55-250 and 50mm f/1.8 sit nicely on the M cameras, I have also had nice results with the 24mm (EF-S), 40mm and 85mm too. I took only M lenses on my recent New England trip and though I missed the primes (had the 22mm prime), they did a very good job.

So the ball is in your court, the M bodies are very capabe but the lack of a viewfinder can prove a nuisance but can be overcome.

Steve

interested in a m5 and liking what I see more every day ,but one thing I noticed today thats not been mentioned elsewhere is a problem of moving your focus points with your nose while using the viewfinder .anyone come across this yet .??

interested in a m5 and liking what I see more every day ,but one thing I noticed today thats not been mentioned elsewhere is a problem of moving your focus points with your nose while using the viewfinder .anyone come across this yet .??
This will happen if you use the full screen BUT I set mine to top right quarter and it's great as you not want to move your thumb all over the screen.

Sounds good ,thanks for the clarification

This will happen if you use the full screen BUT I set mine to top right quarter and it's great as you not want to move your thumb all over the screen.

Very useful facility!

Thanks for the help on this thread I've just ordered an M10 and 15-45 to start off with.

Few from today with my M3,quite happy!

Attachments

• 41083991-E5E6-417A-8A03-E6A9EB8B4028.jpeg
    41083991-E5E6-417A-8A03-E6A9EB8B4028.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 31
  • 83E20FD0-26D1-4B49-AC39-5F3CB3C79BE5.jpeg
    83E20FD0-26D1-4B49-AC39-5F3CB3C79BE5.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 7A1DBB27-1AB9-4ABB-BB9E-F74F33E41412.jpeg
    7A1DBB27-1AB9-4ABB-BB9E-F74F33E41412.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 32
  • C4086A80-B75C-45CB-9883-E3782F5C6476.jpeg
    C4086A80-B75C-45CB-9883-E3782F5C6476.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 30
If a viewfinder is needed, I'd also consider the 100D/200D, which with the 24mm lens fitted are tiny for a DSLR. It's not pocketable, but then neither are the M series.
I exchanged a M10 for a 100D and couldn't be happier.

The M, M2,M3, M10,M6 with the 22mm pancake are all pocketable using most of my waterproof coats. As the. EVF-1 and 2 are demountable this means the whole set can be used on a walkabout street shoot. (As an example).

The 15-45 lens will go
on my M6 and fit in the main pocket of one of my jackets, along with the 55-200 M lens in another pocket on a microfober pouch I stitched together.

The 100D is nice and compact as you say, with the 24mm or 40mm pancake lenses. My sister swapped her 500D in to get the 100D and is very happy with it.

Steve

So I've got a query! I did a bit of nature photography yesterday with my EOS M3 and 100D plus the 100-400 IS Version 1.

I've noticed the AF on the M3 - either using the EVF or rear LCD works OK on the 100-400, but it has a "stutters" action if that makes senses? However when using it on the 100D in Live view its a continuous motion, with no stutterness? Imagine a movie and pull focus is achieved; its a nice smooth action. This is how it is on the 100D but not on the M3.

I'm pretty perplexed.. as the M3 is newer than the 100D and surely the live view focusing is the same system - albeit the 100D is a fair bit older?

any help appreciated - I'm confused!

So I've got a query! I did a bit of nature photography yesterday with my EOS M3 and 100D plus the 100-400 IS Version 1.

I've noticed the AF on the M3 - either using the EVF or rear LCD works OK on the 100-400, but it has a "stutters" action if that makes senses? However when using it on the 100D in Live view its a continuous motion, with no stutterness? Imagine a movie and pull focus is achieved; its a nice smooth action. This is how it is on the 100D but not on the M3.

I'm pretty perplexed.. as the M3 is newer than the 100D and surely the live view focusing is the same system - albeit the 100D is a fair bit older?

any help appreciated - I'm confused!

Hmmm

That is a strange one. I have no experience of the M3 as I made a decision to utterly ignore it when it was released. I have used the 100-400 on the M/M2 and M10 (I have access to one but do not own one). It certainly works fine on the M5.

I am not up to date with the M3 firmware but there was an AF issue with the original M firmware but that was sorted by the V2 firmware.

Might be worth checking firmware version for the M3 and if all good there perhaps a call to Canon UK might be needed if answers on here do not solve the problem.

Steve

Hmmm

That is a strange one. I have no experience of the M3 as I made a decision to utterly ignore it when it was released. I have used the 100-400 on the M/M2 and M10 (I have access to one but do not own one). It certainly works fine on the M5.

I am not up to date with the M3 firmware but there was an AF issue with the original M firmware but that was sorted by the V2 firmware.

Might be worth checking firmware version for the M3 and if all good there perhaps a call to Canon UK might be needed if answers on here do not solve the problem.

Steve

Thanks Steve - good help I’ll give Canon UK a call! Appreciate your advice! :)

Canon were as useful as a chocolate fire blanket; said it is because of the age of the camera and adapter - and also insisted that the quality is going to be much lower than with my 100D as the adapter “reduces the quality”. Interesting as there is no feasible way this can happen as there is no glass there! Despite trying to explain this, the good chap didn’t really get my point and advisers me to use my EOS 100d or just buy a new 55-200 m lens which is “just as good as the 100-400 L”

I do appreciate good customer care!

Canon were as useful as a chocolate fire blanket; said it is because of the age of the camera and adapter - and also insisted that the quality is going to be much lower than with my 100D as the adapter “reduces the quality”. Interesting as there is no feasible way this can happen as there is no glass there! Despite trying to explain this, the good chap didn’t really get my point and advisers me to use my EOS 100d or just buy a new 55-200 m lens which is “just as good as the 100-400 L”

I do appreciate good customer care!

FFS that is ridiculous. Made especially so by the fact that Canon worldwide promote fge lens mount adapter as the value add to the M system as it allows use of the EF/EF-S range.

The statement by the Canon rep that the 55-200 is “just as good as the 100-400” is ridiculous. I like my 55-200, it is a capable lens but it is a toy compared to the L range of kit. My 70-200 f/4 IS again rates way beyond any EF-M lens.

I am supposed to be talking to a friend in the States later, I will get him to contact Canon USA and ask the same question.

If Canon on a corporate scale believe and promote the BS spouted at you then I shall move to Nikon - a brand I last bought in 1981!

If a viewfinder is needed, I'd also consider the 100D/200D, which with the 24mm lens fitted are tiny for a DSLR. It's not pocketable, but then neither are the M series.
I exchanged a M10 for a 100D and couldn't be happier.
M5 has the viewfinder and is much smaller than a dSLR. I can fit mine with a pancake lens in my man bag and have with me every day.

I have just purchased a Canon M3, coming from a 5D mk2 that I have been using less and less due to the effort of carrying it around. I've been looking for something smaller that fits in the MTB/Sking backpack. I've got the EF-S to EF-M adapter, so can use my 11-16 F2.8, 50mm F1.4 and 100mm F2 lenses, but am on the lookout for a 11-22mm to downsize from the 11-16 and a 22mm F2 for ultra-compactness. The kit 15-45mm lens will probably be sold as I doubt I'll use it much. Most stuff I take tends to be ultrawide or shallow DoF portrait/arty landscape stuff. Initial impressions so far seem very good. AF is better than I was expecting, almost keeping up with cats running around, not SLR level. Build quality feels good, on the weighty side in a good way. I'm guessing it is even more important to be careful when changing lenses as the sensor is very exposed. Trying to make the hard decision whether to move on the 5D or not!

I've got the EF-S to EF-M adapter, so can use my 11-16 F2.8, 50mm F1.4 and 100mm F2 lenses, but am on the lookout for a 11-22mm to downsize from the 11-16 and a 22mm F2 for ultra-compactness

I may be able to help you with that, I have kept all my EF-M lenses as I intend to buy another M5 when funds allow but I have a spare 11-22mm (with genuine accessory hood). If you are interested and we can agree on a price then I can list it on the forum.

I have been saving for a while with the intention of buying an M5, i'm now in a position to buy one, but now can't decide between that and an Olympus EM5 Mkii, lol

I'm heavily invested in Canon and Micro 4/3rds, by the time i decide, no doubt i will fancy something else :)

I have been saving for a while with the intention of buying an M5, i'm now in a position to buy one, but now can't decide between that and an Olympus EM5 Mkii, lol

I'm heavily invested in Canon and Micro 4/3rds, by the time i decide, no doubt i will fancy something else :)

May as well wait for the M7....[emoji102]

Mike P - I put up a wanted add in the classified section, perhaps you could post there. Price wise they are £283 + £14 hood on Amazon new, so how about £190? I'm down in the New Forest next weekend, so could collect then.

I have 2 7D's plus all the lens BUT now it's my M5 with three lenses 18-55mm the 55-200 and the 22mm f/2 this covers most of what I like to cover I am thinking of adding a fisheye, seen this one
7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 APS-C Fisheye and Samyang 8mm F2.8 II Fisheye

Back