Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Any owners here yet?

the eos m is the compact version of a 650d, spec wise very similar apart from iso and focal points.... just a bit more expensive....

Had a phone call today saying my M has arrived but I don't get home till Fri...

Had a play with one today seem very impressive. Just wonder if anyone own one yet and their thoughts

I see the EOS M as a missed opportunity... If they just took the Canon G12 body, stuck on the EF-M mount and taken off the optical VF that'd have been an awesome small package and I'd have been very tempted.

I see the EOS M as a missed opportunity... If they just took the Canon G12 body, stuck on the EF-M mount and taken off the optical VF that'd have been an awesome small package and I'd have been very tempted.

Really? So you'd like a camera with a 1/1.7" (7.44 x 5.58 mm) sensor and EOS lenses? The lens on the G12 is a 6.1mm to 30.5mm zoom, which gives the coverage of a 28-140 in 35mm equivalent terms. So a 28mm EOS lens would have the equivalent focal length of a 128.5mm lens. Not very useful, and you won't get anything much wider than 78mm (17mm actual) so no wide-angles at all.

Personally I think the EOS M looks pretty good, although I'd rather it had a viewfinder so won't be buying one...

Really? So you'd like a camera with a 1/1.7" (7.44 x 5.58 mm) sensor and EOS lenses? The lens on the G12 is a 6.1mm to 30.5mm zoom, which gives the coverage of a 28-140 in 35mm equivalent terms. So a 28mm EOS lens would have the equivalent focal length of a 128.5mm lens. Not very useful, and you won't get anything much wider than 78mm (17mm actual) so no wide-angles at all.

Personally I think the EOS M looks pretty good, although I'd rather it had a viewfinder so won't be buying one...

Yeah if it had a VF I would have snapped one up I think... The touch screen was very responsive and being the Auto mode the camera handled VERY well indeed when in other modes IE P A M what ever the controls were all touch controls but all were there on the screen in one place so was pretty easy... But I dunno yet EOS M Or a Oly OM-D

What did you think to the focusing speed?

The focusing was quite quick to be honest but not too sure if it was as quick as the OMD but when I was trying them both out I felt I got better shots out of the EOS M then the OMD but that could be cost I did not have the OMD Set up correctly aint sure as I found the menu system etc on the Canon quite easy if it had a VF I think i of got it have it for a few weeks if happy keep if not sell on here or where ever

Canon have stated that they have no plans for a CSC camera with a viewfinder which is a shame. I suppose if you add an EVF to the EOS M it would be almost as big as the EOS 600d anyway, but it would still be nice to have the option. The Olympus handles very nicely, but the EOS has the advantage of a bigger sensor and a wider range of lenses.

snowy said:
Canon have stated that they have no plans for a CSC camera with a viewfinder which is a shame. I suppose if you add an EVF to the EOS M it would be almost as big as the EOS 600d anyway, but it would still be nice to have the option. The Olympus handles very nicely, but the EOS has the advantage of a bigger sensor and a wider range of lenses.

But there reports the om-d produce better images in low light as got better processor.

err, no :LOL: Why would you stick on the EF-M mount and not have an APS-C sensor in there? I thought that was implied. 18-55mm IS EFM lens on a G12 body, giving 28.8-88mm. I'd prefer something like 15-50 IS powerzoom, would be even better. I would love an OVF/EVF but that would add to the bulk + cost. Basically I want a Canon NEX 5/6/7 without the sony interface.

Last edited:
err, no :LOL: Why would you stick on the EF-M mount and not have an APS-C sensor in there? I thought that was implied. 18-55mm IS EFM lens on a G12 body, giving 28.8-88mm. I'd prefer something like 15-50 IS powerzoom, would be even better. I would love an OVF/EVF but that would add to the bulk + cost. Basically I want a Canon NEX 5/6/7 without the sony interface.

:D
You can't fit an APS-C size sensor in the G12 - that's why the G1X is so much bigger. But I take your point - if Sony can do it in the Nex range why can't anyone else?

Jeez could get the EOS M with Twin kit ie both lens for £560 from Panamoz Via BT

Jeez could get the EOS M with Twin kit ie both lens for £560 from Panamoz Via BT

ermmm that is quite a bit of cash for something like that. That's more than much superior 5d mk1 (used of course) or the more polished sony NEX. I guess it's OK for tripod-only camera, but it beats the whole purpose of one.

the eos m is the compact version of a 650d, spec wise very similar apart from iso and focal points.... just a bit more expensive....

I think it's overpriced compared to the alternatives. Maybe makes sense if you own Canon lenses and want to use them on it, but as a stand alone I don't see the appeal.

The Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5 and Nex 5R models are the most logical comparisons in terms of size, features and image quality and all of them are cheaper than the EOS-M.

Plus the Nex models with viewfinders (6 and 7) are only slightly more expensive.

Also the E-PM2, E-PL5 and Nex 5R have the option of adding an external evf which the Canon does not.

In fact you can also currently get the Olympus OM-D 'body only' at £999 with a free 45mm 1.8 thrown in and if you discount the price of the lens the cost comes to almost exactly the same price as the EOS-M (albeit the EOS price includes a 18-55 kit lens).

With any of the Olympus cameras above you also have access to lots of decent Panasonic and Olympus lenses from an established system, whereas the selection of lenses made for the EOS-M comprises one prime (22mm) and the 18-55 kit lens.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting that they announced these... Is it just me or is the world not very excited by them?

No it's not just you, it was a none event and it mostly appeals to the fanboys who will buy one and make Canon a fair bit of money anyway.

The more discerning will wait for the evf version which will come regardles of what Canon says, anyone remember Canon saying we do not see the need for dust reduction in our cameras.;)

Well that's annoying.

I went to pick mine up but the store I had ordered mine from had only received the EOS M and 18-55mm lens kits and I am waiting for the kit with the 22mm and the EF adapter.

Oh well, a few more weeks of waiting isn't going to hurt I guess!

Well that's annoying.

I went to pick mine up but the store I had ordered mine from had only received the EOS M and 18-55mm lens kits and I am waiting for the kit with the 22mm and the EF adapter.

Oh well, a few more weeks of waiting isn't going to hurt I guess!

Oh dear but did you have a go with one?

So I had a play with this at a local store today.

First impression: it's much smaller than expected. The camera body itself is no bigger than most compacts. It felt smaller even compared with the NEX because of the lack of grip (not a plus imo I'd rather have a firm hold).

What I did not consider before was how much the touchscreen plays part in the overall operation of the camera. I've never used a 650D but apparently it's the same. You have the same shooting parameter screens as you'd get on the xxxD series (I've never used a xxxD series camera but if you're used to one you'd feel right at home) and you can adjust the parameters using the touchscreen, the rear dial, or the combination of both. It felt pretty swift actually. However, I still would have preferred having a second control dial as I can imagine using the touchscreen would be problem in the freezing cold winter. The other bits of the menu was intuitive to a Canon user. I got confused the hell out of me trying to figure out the NEX7.

AF was ok, not that quick but again the touchscreen plays a big part here. Face tracking mode makes focus and recompose easier and more accurate. In movie mode you can tap the screen to bring different points in focus but it's pretty slow and hunts a bit.

But anyway, upon handling it my opinion of it has improved slightly, but not enough to make me want to buy it at the current price ~£650 with kit lens. Especially considering an extra £120 or so for the EF adapter. So not for me. Yet.

Last edited:
Tried one in Jessops today and liked it more than I expected. Small but was okay in the hand and it was nice to have the familiar Canon menu system. The only big negative for me was the autofocus speed - just slow enough to be annoying. If Canon could improve autofocus speed with a firmware update, it would be a natty little camera, especially if you already have some Canon lenses. If the price comes down to somewhere sensible, I'll be tempted

I had a go also in Jessops today,found the autofocus slow,the size is not as big as i thought it would be,for me maybe not the best mirrorless camera out there,i think its big appeal will to Canon DSLR owners :)

I did not notice it being slow

I also tough the screen was very responsive which is good it did everyone quite nicely I was torn between one of these and a oly omd

If you want something more compact the E-PL5 is out and is pretty much the same as the OMD for a lot less.

twist said:
If you want something more compact the E-PL5 is out and is pretty much the same as the OMD for a lot less.

Can't find it out anywhere

I was torn between one of these and a oly omd

Seriously? No contest between these 2, the OMD offers a lot more (IBIS, around 30 native lenses vs 2 for the Canon, more external controls, weatherproofing, etc etc). Personally I am not a fan of the OMD looks or ergonomics but I would choose it (or another m43 camera, or a Nex) over the EOS M any day.

applemint said:
Seriously? No contest between these 2, the OMD offers a lot more (IBIS, around 30 native lenses vs 2 for the Canon, more external controls, weatherproofing, etc etc). Personally I am not a fan of the OMD looks or ergonomics but I would choose it (or another m43 camera, or a Nex) over the EOS M any day.

What wrong with omd ergonomics?

What wrong with omd ergonomics?

Well that's an individual thing that varies from person to person but basically (for me) compared to cameras of a similar size (eg Nex 7) I found the grip too small and also the buttons on the back too small and the on/off switch placement less than ideal. But I only tried it out in a shop - if you want to read what people who used it for an extended period of time think then these links should keep you busy. :)

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/olympus-omd-em-5-ergonomic-review.html
http://www.mu-43.com/f42/omd-disappointing-ergonomics-25416/
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6740

And for your 3 threads there are probably at least 10 times as many of people that are thrilled with the omd. As you say, it will be a personal thing, like most cameras ergo.

Last edited:
And for your 3 threads there are probably at least 10 times as many of people that are thrilled with the omd. As you say, it will be a personal thing, like most cameras ergo.

Yup I honestly think it boils down to personal choice I have handled one and love it as it feels like a DSLR to me...

RIGHT gotta bite the bullets

Can now be got for £650 after cash back now

twist said:
To expensive for what it is imo.

In that price range what is better not dslr in the same class..

Am getting a omd but just wondering

Lots of offerings of mirrorless cameras from loads of manufacturers and they are loads cheaper.

We got ours recently and so far very impressed. Once you get the hang of it, I think its quite a bit of kit. They've put a lot of thought into it and the touch screen works really well. There will be elements that aren't upto the standards of SLR's but we've got 1dsMKIII's and 5DMKII's for when we shoot serious stuff. I'm quite pleased with how close this gets you to an actual SLR in a fun, lightweight and sturdy body. One word of warning is that the Stepper Motor takes a little time getting used to and its a whole different feel to SLR AF motors, but on the plus side its accurate and performs well. I wouldn't shoot sports with it, but I'd happily shoot bridal prep, rings, portraits with it.

Did you get the lens adaptor? Tried it with ef lenses? I had another play today in John Lewis and it is definitely growing on me.

Back