Canon EOS M Series Cameras

lens arrived very quick service well chuffed... glad I spent a bit more on the STM version, AF is quick and deadly silent.

18461466303_ca39ec6578_c.jpg

couple of quick snaps in the garden, both full zoom SOOC jpgs no edit

19085409351_d8c4025d75_b.jpg

19085410231_e2f3a14191_b.jpg

Well done David, the 55-250 is a fantastic and in my opinion very underrated lens. I have the original MK1 and is one of my most used lenses on both my M and 7D.

The latest on my tamron 18-200mm m mount:
I sent it to intro2020 and they told me I'd have to pay for the firmware update as I was the second owner therefore warranty no longer valid. I argued that they should be updating this lens as a goodwill gesture since its not fit for purpose i.e. supposed to be compatible with canon m series but doesn't work on M3. Anyway, they gave a firm no but said they would send it to tamron in germany and give me an estimate of cost to see if I wanted to go ahead.
Three weeks later and I get an email saying that tamron have updated it for free as a goodwill gesture and I only need to pay return postage from intro2020 to myself (£10.20). Result!
So I should finally have a working lens in a few days.

Further to the above the 18-200 lens is now back with me and works fine on the M3.
The weather is rubbish today but when I get the chance I'll do a proper outdoor test/assessment and decide where I go from here kit wise.

You mean the EF to EF-M adaptor? Yes, the M's all use the same mount (unless I have misunderstood the question).

Yep, just wanted to double check before I purchased.

Just pressed the button for the Canon EOS M3 with viewfinder, already having the M how much better will the M3 be in terms of focus speed am I going to notice any big difference...?

Just pressed the button for the Canon EOS M3 with viewfinder, already having the M how much better will the M3 be in terms of focus speed am I going to notice any big difference...?
Personally think everything is better on the M3. Viewfinder is a very handy addition. I don't necessarily use it all the time but handy to have that option.

Yeah you'll definitely notice a difference with AF over the M, especially on native lenses. Much more reliable.

Just got a rather cheap EOS M + 22mm, damn fine little camera by the looks of it

Does anyone use the newer canon 35 f2 is at all with there m's?

I'll very likely give it a go, the 35mm F2 IS is my favourite lens on my main camera. It is quite a big lens though, not sure how well it will be ergonomically.

There's a generic canon app that is compatible with the M3. Canon Connect I think is the latest iteration.

Look what came in the post.....My new M3 kit.

View attachment 41198
19200906190_87c1289a1c_z.jpg
Canon EOS M3[/url] by Jim, on Flickr[/IMG]
19200906190_87c1289a1c_z.jpg
Canon EOS M3[/url] by Jim, on Flickr[/IMG]

I want to buy one camera ,my friends all recommend Canon .Anyone give some suggestions? Thank you !

Am very interested in your impression Jim. The lack of a viewfinder is the only thing that I dislike about the original M.

I want to buy one camera ,my friends all recommend Canon .Anyone give some suggestions? Thank you !
Depends what your requirements are. Is it for snapshots, pictures of family, taking away on holiday? Do you want to learn about photography? Are you interested in taking landscapes, portraits, street, wildlife or a variety of different styles. With so many options available to you it's an impossible question to answer without knowing what you want to achieve. Also, have you got an idea for a budget?

Any modern camera is very good. Canon are well regarded due to their overall "system" including lenses and other accessories, not necessarily camera bodies (their sensor technology is slight behind apparently, not that you would notice). There are other brands that are better in some areas, no so much in others, and endless debates all across the internet as people try to defend their purchasing decision.

Am very interested in your impression Jim. The lack of a viewfinder is the only thing that I dislike about the original M.

I've still got my M & not sure now I want to part with it which was going to be my intention even though the AF is slow compared to M3 but also have to admit viewfinder makes a big difference with its large field of view.

It's a multi-function button. You can assign a number of different functions to it through the custom menus (custom menu 3 iirc)...

It's a multi-function button. You can assign a number of different functions to it through the custom menus (custom menu 3 iirc)...
Does this mean M FN refers to c fn in the manual...?

Does this mean M FN refers to c fn in the manual...?
I should say so. I only got a digital copy of the manual, as I got the body directly from Japan, and can't find it now, but I would assume they are both the same thing.

I agree. I havent found any practical use for it yet. It would be good to hear if anyone has found it of any use.
I haven't. It's in a funny position otherwise I would have used it as a focus button (although I don't think that option is available for it - I sometimes switch the * to that function). I have it set as a DoF preview button, mainly to retain aperture when reversing lenses or mounting them on tubes, but I don't do that very often anymore...

Be good to hear if anyone does get some use out of it though!

Blimey this is helpful...! Is JimButDimButThick meant to work this out easy
View attachment 41392
LOL, yeah it doesn't really make much sense when you read it. It's easier to understand if you just try changing it through the interface. Here's my brief "idiots guide", I hope it helps!:

1) Press the Menu button
2) On the lcd screen, touch the 3rd icon across the top of the Menu tabs (a small camera icon with bars underneath - the menu colour is orange)
3) Touch the 3rd option in the list, C.Fn III: Others
4) Touch the screen anywhere (it should be on Custom Controls screen/page 1)
5) On the Function Assignment screen, touch the customisable feature you want to assign a function to (the camera diagram on the left will highlight the control you are changing)
6) Touch the same control again to amend the settings for it (in this example we are changing the M-Fn button). Touch each of the icons for a description of what they do.
7) With the function you want to assign to the control (or button) highlighted, touch OK to save it.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah it doesn't really make much sense when you read it. It's easier to understand if you just try changing it through the interface. Here's my brief "idiots guide", I hope it helps!:

1) Press the Menu button
2) On the lcd screen, touch the 3rd icon across the top of the Menu tabs (a small camera icon with bars underneath - the menu colour is orange)
3) Touch the 3rd option in the list, C.Fn III: Others
4) Touch the screen anywhere (it should be on Custom Controls screen/page 1)
5) On the Function Assignment screen, touch the customisable feature you want to assign a function to (the camera diagram on the left will highlight the control you are changing)
6) Touch the same control again to amend the settings for it (in this example we are changing the M-Fn button). Touch each of the icons for a description of what they do.
7) With the function you want to assign to the control (or button) highlighted, touch OK to save it.

You made this simple, thanks

Set mine to DOF

I see the original M is down to £179 in Argos now...
What's silver one worth 2nd hand with 22 & 22-55 lens, got to be peanuts now it's about 18 months old.
Was going to sell it or am I better of keeping it...? even though I have the M3.

Last edited:
I've put my M3 kit up for sale. I'm not really doing any photography at the moment and currently have full frame dslr as well as this. I can't bring myself to sell the 5D3 though as its like an old friend. So this kit has to go, its a shame as I've not really given it much of a workout.

When I first bought my M (original), I thought it might replace my 7D, which it did for a while, but I gradually drifted back to the 7 and use it almost exclusively now. The M just sits there in my camera cupboard with my T90.:(

Back