Canon EOS M Series Cameras

There's more lacking in the lens line up for a
Pro system than there is in the M5 body IMHO

Metal body, focus speed, and some neat software make this a decent camera I would happily take on a job, but where are the fast primes I'd like to attach?
Phil

Absolutely. The other way to look at it might he to see it as a type of 'hybrid' pro/am solution. Whilst the pro market demands/needs the very best, the price is a business expense to realise value through turnover. If that happens then success follows. So more success = more income = quicker replacement as the cycle continues. Without knowing the ratio of those who earn their livelihood from photography (pro) to the mass of the potential general consumer (non-pro) market it is hard to follow the investment/return purchaser profile the manufacturee sees.. The big companies will 'swerve' their offering to the biggest market and therefore their 'margin' (the tame word for profit).

I am just on the cusp of reaching the 3 month point of a trip along the 'Wild Atlantic Coast' of Ireland and I have been surprised at the number of people using mobile phones and compact cameras to take shots of some really incredible places. Very few have anything approaching 'serious' kit.

As I have wrritten earlier to comment on one of your posts, I would dearly love at least an ef-m 85mm around the f/2 mark. No interest in it having IS like the new Tamron 85mm has, my EF 85mm lives on a camera firmly attachef to a tripod, but an M 85mm on an M5 body in the field would be a huge temptation for me, even as a non-pro.

As much as I could go straight to pre-order for the M5, I will not. It is what I have waited for but an 18-150 lens is not enough and pushing the M5 with just 2 primes at 22mm and 28mm at a pro market is naieve. So the simple way to look at it would be to drop a pro/am divide and see it as an aspirational purchase for those than afford, and those who will aspire to own it. I am enjoying the lighter walk about EOS M kit bag......

A late sneaky flourish from Canon for a mid length range prime or 2 would be a game changer. So here's to a compact M 85mm f/2 and maybe even a nifty 50mm f/1.4.....

Steve

Phil

Absolutely. The other way to look at it might he to see it as a type of 'hybrid' pro/am solution. Whilst the pro market demands/needs the very best, the price is a business expense to realise value through turnover. If that happens then success follows. So more success = more income = quicker replacement as the cycle continues. Without knowing the ratio of those who earn their livelihood from photography (pro) to the mass of the potential general consumer (non-pro) market it is hard to follow the investment/return purchaser profile the manufacturee sees.. The big companies will 'swerve' their offering to the biggest market and therefore their 'margin' (the tame word for profit).

I am just on the cusp of reaching the 3 month point of a trip along the 'Wild Atlantic Coast' of Ireland and I have been surprised at the number of people using mobile phones and compact cameras to take shots of some really incredible places. Very few have anything approaching 'serious' kit.

As I have wrritten earlier to comment on one of your posts, I would dearly love at least an ef-m 85mm around the f/2 mark. No interest in it having IS like the new Tamron 85mm has, my EF 85mm lives on a camera firmly attachef to a tripod, but an M 85mm on an M5 body in the field would be a huge temptation for me, even as a non-pro.

As much as I could go straight to pre-order for the M5, I will not. It is what I have waited for but an 18-150 lens is not enough and pushing the M5 with just 2 primes at 22mm and 28mm at a pro market is naieve. So the simple way to look at it would be to drop a pro/am divide and see it as an aspirational purchase for those than afford, and those who will aspire to own it. I am enjoying the lighter walk about EOS M kit bag......

A late sneaky flourish from Canon for a mid length range prime or 2 would be a game changer. So here's to a compact M 85mm f/2 and maybe even a nifty 50mm f/1.4.....

Steve
I know I may not be their 'target' audience (though I may actually be as they're luring me from Fuji), but I'd like a 23, 30 and 85 all at f2 ish (anything between 1.4 and 2.4 would do, but the faster the better) I'm no fan of 50mm on crop (but I know that's not a universal view).

If necessary I'll use my 35mm and 85mm EF with an adaptor, but smaller EF M lenses would be better.

I wonder if they actually have a lens road map?
I am hoping to pick up a nice cheap M3 in November as I am sure the shops offering the bonus trade in offer on the M5 will have a few to shift.

I am hoping to pick up a nice cheap M3 in November as I am sure the shops offering the bonus trade in offer on the M5 will have a few to shift.
That's at least two of us eyeing up second hand m3's then!

If they have a lens roadmap it's more of a children's atlas at the minute than google earth!

I know I may not be their 'target' audience (though I may actually be as they're luring me from Fuji), but I'd like a 23, 30 and 85 all at f2 ish (anything between 1.4 and 2.4 would do, but the faster the better) I'm no fan of 50mm on crop (but I know that's not a universal view).

If necessary I'll use my 35mm and 85mm EF with an adaptor, but smaller EF M lenses would be better.
I've always thought the adapted was a great stop gap while they worked up the native lenses but only really a long term thing if you wanted to shoot lenses that are always going to be massive no matter what the mount for a 1.6 crop.

I find it odd that they can product a solid 40mm pancake for ef mount but haven't reworked it for the m where it makes much more sense!

Very much a wait and see. I did look at the M3 when it came out but, whilst a big improvement, ot was not enough of one. The dearth of lenses and my 90% full and crop body use at that time meant the M was a great travelling companion (I did a European tour with the 22mm and 18-55mm along eith a few EF-S lenses, which was good fun and lightweight. M + 22 lived in my pocket for street syle.

In all that time I have only seen 1 person with an M3.

Very much a wait and see. I did look at the M3 when it came out but, whilst a big improvement, ot was not enough of one. The dearth of lenses and my 90% full and crop body use at that time meant the M was a great travelling companion (I did a European tour with the 22mm and 18-55mm along eith a few EF-S lenses, which was good fun and lightweight. M + 22 lived in my pocket for street syle.

In all that time I have only seen 1 person with an M3.
This. Exactly how I use my M original. A pocket companion to my FF and Crop SLRs. Happy using the EF and EFs lenses on the adaptor, in fact the 70_300L on the M works remarkably well but it's more a case of putting the camera on the lens rather than putting the lens on the camera [emoji23]

PS. A really good lightweight day combo is the 18-135 EFs STM with the adaptor. Covers pretty much every eventuality. [emoji106]

Last edited:
eos m5 vs panasonic g80....its hard to justify the m5's price now.
I get where you are coming from but if price alone was the sole reason for choice there would numerous pros and cons.

I try to add a future proofing in 'cost of ownership' too. Add in the additional costs and value at end of life.

The value add for the original M (apart from the price crash of the base kit), which stands for the M10/M5, was the compatibility of the wider canon lenses and accessoriees.

The launch price pitches the M5 in a premium range of its own which I would expect to see reduce mid 2017.

I do question Canon's pricing which is unlikely to attract users of other mainstream DSLR kit. Will it tempt Nikn users acrosd the divide?

I did look at the Panasonic system but it just did not gel with me. It just did not fit with me.

If the M5 fails for me - it's Route Fuji for me. More so as I need to downsize from DSLR due to health reasond.

S

Think i'll wait a few months and see if the price of the M5 drops, i could buy one now but it just looks way overpriced to me.

As for the new Panasonic G80, i really like the look of that, what bothers me with Panasonic though is they seem to release a new camera every 3 months, so if you do invest in them you can guarantee the price of whatever you bought will drop significantly.

But next month i may be looking at Fuji again lol :)

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from but if price alone was the sole reason for choice there would numerous pros and cons.

I try to add a future proofing in 'cost of ownership' too. Add in the additional costs and value at end of life.

The value add for the original M (apart from the price crash of the base kit), which stands for the M10/M5, was the compatibility of the wider canon lenses and accessoriees.

The launch price pitches the M5 in a premium range of its own which I would expect to see reduce mid 2017.

I do question Canon's pricing which is unlikely to attract users of other mainstream DSLR kit. Will it tempt Nikn users acrosd the divide?

I did look at the Panasonic system but it just did not gel with me. It just did not fit with me.

If the M5 fails for me - it's Route Fuji for me. More so as I need to downsize from DSLR due to health reasond.

S

I was offered a completely free grip with the fuji xt2 a few weeks back, I am really annoyed at myself I didn't take it now, despite the overall cost, I am now not sure what to do, health reasons also I can't always manage my 7d2

I was offered a completely free grip with the fuji xt2 a few weeks back, I am really annoyed at myself I didn't take it now, despite the overall cost, I am now not sure what to do, health reasons also I can't always manage my 7d2
Michael

I had the same issues, health wise. End of Jan 2015 I had a stroke which has left me with weakened muscles in my right hand. It b@lls up my ability to swing and fire my fave 5D1 and Gripped 50D, both not 'lightweight'.

I then got a 5D2 when I felt stronger but a 'wobble' brought the hand issue back.

So went back to my M kit and the lighter weight was just right. I like shooting street stuff, especially the town Autumn carnivals around Somerset (not the 2016 season though). The M with the 22 pancake is perfect.

I am touring the west coast of Irelabd currently and the M and M10 are great with land/seascapes with one carrying the 22mm Pancake and the other the EF-S 11-18 UWA. Lightweight and very good results. The 11-18 is for ND/CPL and Grads, the 22mm is left 'virgin'. (ThougI have a Cokin A kit for when the need is there - just not needed).

I have the DSLR kit (with an EOS 750D) which is great with the Canon Connect App via Android or IPad/Phone. (M10 too) as you can view the scene (on the IPad in my case) and fire the shutter by touching the tablet screen).

So apart from the investment in lot of canon gear, for those with health problems, and fairly static scenes to shoot, I have a way to enjoy my photography. When I want to go off the beaten track,then the M10, lightweight tripod and IPhone 6 covers the comfort side of shooting. I also carry a microfiber dark 'towel' to shade the IPad screen from bright sunlight so waiting for the light on a small chair is easy. Again the M10 comes to the fore. The M5 is wifi to phone/tablet too.

Health and age can see photography suffer as being too difficult. Well my recovery has seen me driving again after 14 months plus the lightweight kit gets me away from the car park.

For me, IF the M5 does not make the cut, any lightweight camera system will have to be able to 'connect' to a phone/tablet for viewing and firing shots, and not just wireless download. No, I do not want wirelass RAW download - life is too short!

When it comes to it and failing health bites (permanent or temporal), there are many options beyond wired/wireless triggers. I have seen one guy using a hotshoe mounted, HDNI connected, mini-LED screen when shooting. Looked very interesing - he was shooting video and had a fluid gimble head on his tripod.

I do think that lightweight connectable kit and reliable data transfe could offer those wth dodgy health an outlet from sitting in a chair stuck at home. My solution works for me but inclusion is the objective. Individusls need individual solutions - potential untapped market? Visualise the GO PRO accessory pack - then apply it to propetly engineered kit for mobility aids (nor just wheelchairs etc).. The digital generstion includes many who might be able to tap into their lost hobby or start a new one.

Love or dislike the M or any CSC systems but age gets us all! Whatever next for me kit wise, it must be sustainable, flexible, adaptable and provide a tech access path as it develops. Some of Canon's cheap compacts can use some or all of the Connect system. Triggers are weak or unavailable in some. That needs addressing by Canon (and other manufactuers).

Sorry for wandering along but it's a big subject but Canon may or may not want to lead the way. I will look deeper when I look at the M5 in 2017!

Steve

I was seriously thinking about an 80D to replace my 7D but the M5 had renewed my interest in the M series. I do miss the 11-22 which is one of my all time favorite lenses but the lack of a built in EVF on previous models annoyed me at times and I couldn't put up with it any longer.

The M5 looks very interesting, the price not much so for the moment.

It's between the M5 or the new panny G80 for me now, ive already got some panasonic glass but a lot more canon glass.

That panny looks amazing though and from what I've read will be half the price of the M5.

Will see what the price is when I'm ready to buy :)

Last edited:
It's between the M5 or the new panny G80 for me now, ive already got some panasonic glass but a lot more canon glass.

That panny looks amazing though and from what I've read will be half the price of the M5.

Will see what the price is when I'm ready to buy :)
Sitting reading through a few things over a late lunch and drifted onto a looksee at the G80. Specs are fine.

Question for me is around the what next IF the M5 fails my requirements. It would be the Fuji AND I would move on/pex all my Canon gear (Film and Digital). Not done that since I moved from Nikon to Pentax in the early 1980s. I still have all my Pentax kit from then...... (museum pieces).

A wrench but I need a simpler approach in my life. Less possessions and more freedom to just go wherever I want without all what the law deems Encumbrance (Incumbrance) hanging around me.

When the time comes...... whatever brand I go to, I will stick to!

Bit of an update

Had an opoortunity this afternoon to try the EF-M 28mm when I met a couple shooting with an M3/28mm combo. They tried my M15-45 on the M3 and I the M28 on the M10 body.

I want a 28mm...... but in an earlier post my M series future sits totally on the M5 handling, talk about putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

Steve.

Bit of an update

Had an opoortunity this afternoon to try the EF-M 28mm when I met a couple shooting with an M3/28mm combo. They tried my M15-45 on the M3 and I the M28 on the M10 body.

I want a 28mm...... but in an earlier post my M series future sits totally on the M5 handling, talk about putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

Steve.
I'd like to try the 15/45 before I buy, no shops in my area that sales them.

Anyone know where i could hire one of these, just want to try it before i purchase.

Difficult one.

At present they are showing at£200+ as a single buy or around£300 with the M10 bundle. Source Camera Price Buster.

I got mine with the M10/15-45 bundle for £280 then a £35 canon cashback on top.

There are some EBay sellers with new listing as low as £84 (Chinese source white box) and others at around £120 (Dublin sellers with silver canon box).

Jessops list the kit so might be possible they could let you try one. Not sure where your nearest branch is (Milton Keynes?). John Lewis too may be worth a call.

There are quite a few listed on EBay from split kits being sold by UK sellers. Insurance splits for damaged body replacements?

For me it's a useful compact lens and, though not as sharp/fast as the 22mm f/2 pancake, it has a more flexible range as a walkabout. That said the original 18-55 kit lens covers most of the range. The 15mm width is noticeable though.

I rarely use the original kit lens these days.

It is not worth £200+ as a lens only buy. The M10/15-45 package was fine for me as I wanted a second M body but that included WiFi too.

Steve

Hi guys,

There looks to be loads of great info here so going to work back through the thread tonight. But wondering if anyone can help me with below.

I can get both the m10 for £265 and m3 for £379 both with kit lens 15-45mm both brand new.

I can not decide if the m3 is worth the extra?

Is the m10 apature, shutter speed etc nice and easy to adjust on touch screen?

Does the m10 focus as quick because it looks to have a different focusing engine.?

Does the m10 produce the same IQ as M3?

I would really appreciate any help

Hi guys,

There looks to be loads of great info here so going to work back through the thread tonight. But wondering if anyone can help me with below.

I can get both the m10 for £265 and m3 for £379 both with kit lens 15-45mm both brand new.

Does the m10 focus as quick because it looks to have a different focusing engine.?

M3 has slightly higher megapixel count (24mp vs 18mp), so you'll get a bit better resolution. Usually this tends to be balanced against noise, but I seriously doubt you'll notice much difference between the two. Overall I suspect the M3 will offer better IQ - but you'd have to be a pixel-peeper to really care.
Adjusting shutter speed on the M10, if it's anything like my original M (and I believe it is) it is easy enough to change shutter speed etc. but I much prefer the physical dial and I can operate it much quicker that way.
The main difference between the two for me is that the M3 has a hot shoe for external flash, and an option of an attachable EVF. For me, that made the M10 a non-starter but your requirements may be different.
The only other difference I can think of is the larger grip on the M3, which makes it a tad more bulky, but nothing that's ever really bothered me, and it does make it easier to hold on to.

Sorry, not really sure about AF between models (I rarely use it anyway) but as I understand it neither are particularly quick.

With the EVF you get much closer to a dSLR experience with the M3, but obviously you are racking up the £'s (cheapest I've seen them go for, grey import is around £90). Think you just need to decide if you are ever going to want to use external flash (if so forget the M10) and how long you are going to have it. If you think it's a system you will stick with and invest in, go for the M3.

Hi guys,

Yes I would definitely say it is worth thevery extra. I had the original m and upgraded to an m3. It is so much easier to use due to additional controls / dials etc

i will get the eos m3 then , thank you :)

Did any good deals come on last black Friday or cyber Monday for eos cameras? Not sure if to hold fire. £379 after cashback already seems a very good deal to me?

Last edited:
My M has had to go away for a repair estimate, it got caught in a very heavy rain/hail storm while on holiday and it started to take pics on its own and the focus point was dancing all over the place. Thankfully it is covered by argos insurance, but I have no idea what they are going to do.
Hopefully it will get sorted.

They may write it off and replace it with the M10.

I gave my grand-daughter a red M body I got s/h off WEX a while back and she is now getting a 700D for Xmas so the red M body is coming back to me. I have a M and M10 so I may sell the red one on. I also tbink the M5 is for me so I thknk Sanity Claws will leave me with anoth M body too far - a clear down is in the offing!

The M10 is not as solid a build as the M/M2 but has wifi built in.

Hopefully it will get sorted.

They may write it off and replace it with the M10.

I gave my grand-daughter a red M body I got s/h off WEX a while back and she is now getting a 700D for Xmas so the red M body is coming back to me. I have a M and M10 so I may sell the red one on. I also tbink the M5 is for me so I thknk Sanity Claws will leave me with anoth M body too far - a clear down is in the offing!

The M10 is not as solid a build as the M/M2 but has wifi built in.

That was my thinking, if they do I will miss it, so will my son, the build quality is ideal for him, he keeps asking has the little camera been fixed yet.... (he's 4, 2 days before christmas..)

That was my thinking, if they do I will miss it, so will my son, the build quality is ideal for him, he keeps asking has the little camera been fixed yet.... (he's 4, 2 days before christmas..)
Ahh.... then getting the M back becomes evdn more important. Hopefully Argos will rise to the occasion.

Fingers crossed!

Steve

My M has had to go away for a repair estimate, it got caught in a very heavy rain/hail storm while on holiday and it started to take pics on its own and the focus point was dancing all over the place. Thankfully it is covered by argos insurance, but I have no idea what they are going to do.

Freind of mine sent his M to Canon after dropping it, I think Canon said it was unrepairable & offer him the M3 as a replacement for a small fee.

Freind of mine sent his M to Canon after dropping it, I think Canon said it was unrepairable & offer him the M3 as a replacement for a small fee.
Good deal! Great way to build on brand loyalty too.

I've just gone for an M3, prices with cash back seem quite low, if they do drop I wouldn't expect them to be by much. I had the original M with 18-55 and 22mm and thought it was pretty good in terms of IQ, just a bit too fiddly to operate. M3 seems much easier to handle, not a fan of the shutter sound though, the original seemed much quieter.

Just had a look at the repairers website for the status, they received it yesterday, very much doubt it will be coming back in camera form, will be interesting to see what the argos insurance says

Estimate details
camera has suffered fluid ingress all over unit requires tft-lcd screen assembly main pcb top pcb inner barrel clean setup

Just ordered EOS M3 :banana::banana::banana:

Hope i did the right thing by getting 15-45mm kit lens and not the 18-55mm, wasn't sure

This is going to be my only camera which i use for everything can not wait to get out there and start using it

Last edited:
When did they stop doing the 18_55 in kits?
It was only available on the original M kit and then the M3 kits, it was released as an original silver box retail at £180, it is still that price retail in the UK.

The 15-45 came with the M10 kit when it was released.

You can get the M3 kit with either the 18-55 or 15-45 but not all retailers have it with the former.

The M5 will have either the 15-45 or 18-150 bundled.

There are plenty of 18-55 lenses available on the Bay either new or s/h. I saw a new UK white box seller punting them at £65 a while back.

I got the 15-45 with an M10 bundle and it is a nice compact walkabout.

I am not sure which deal to go for when the M5 drops in price.

Steve

It was only available on the original M kit and then the M3 kits, it was released as an original silver box retail at £180, it is still that price retail in the UK.

The 15-45 came with the M10 kit when it was released.

You can get the M3 kit with either the 18-55 or 15-45 but not all retailers have it with the former.

The M5 will have either the 15-45 or 18-150 bundled.

There are plenty of 18-55 lenses available on the Bay either new or s/h. I saw a new UK white box seller punting them at £65 a while back.

I got the 15-45 with an M10 bundle and it is a nice compact walkabout.

I am not sure which deal to go for when the M5 drops in price.

Steve

Didn't realise they had changed it.

If I was to go for the M5 it would be with the 18-150, it would be ideal as I could leave my 150-600 on my 7d2 for wild life and have the m5 and lens for wider shots or as a walk about when not using the big lens.

Back