Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I ended up just using the screen at times which I found quick as everything wa pretty much fast moving once the parade had started. I could have done with a longer lens though so I'm thinking of the 70-200 F4 as cant afford the 2.8.

Yeah, the screen is a god send for parades IME. Changing AF points is so much faster than my 5D4, and having face tracking AND using a VF is something even the 5D4 cant do.

As much as i loved my (2) 70-200 f/4 lenses i find my 70-300L to be more versatile for me, plus it packs down smaller for travelling. I dont miss f/4 at all.

Just received my M50 this afternoon and i have one quick question. Is there a remote release that can be used with it, If not how do you take long exposure pictures?

out of interest guys of those that have bought the "50" why this and not the "5". is it 4k or price or something else?

out of interest guys of those that have bought the "50" why this and not the "5". is it 4k or price or something else?

I have the 5 and 50. There is a price difference nut I went for 4K mainly.

The build quality and price is higher for the 5 but the results of from the 50 on the thread show a very capable body.

could you elaborate please mate? I guess the 5 must have some more advanced features or is that not true?

Well the flip out screen was the big one. More AF points was another, along with eye detect (not sure if the M5 has this though). 4K was not a selling point, but i guess its nice to have. In fact i like that it has such a large crop, as it means i can use my fast primes at a much longer focla length.

There are a few other things that i only found out after getting the M50 that made me glad i did. One being the ability to turn touch shooting on and off from the LCD without having to go in to any menu's. Another was having AWB-W setting. Not really big deal but i liked having it no my 80D and 5D4. Also i quite like Eye detect. it seems to work well. I never expected to use it but it has been handy.

Obviously the M5 has a lot more features and dials, but for me the above outweighed this. I actually like the more simple approach. Being able to re configure the buttons has allowed to to have just enough finger tip control, and i really dont miss having all the bells and whistle. A Custom slot would be good, but ive found that when i set these on my other cameras i quite easily forget what they are set to, so dont use them much anyway.

I nearly sold my M5 to buy the M50 but don't do video so the crippled 4K is a waste of time for me, the flip out screen is better but I do 99% of my shooting with the EVF (whenever I try the screen it always seems to be in direct sunlight so useless). The extra AF points would have been nice but at the end of the day I much preferred the layout build and extra controls on the M5 so kept it.

Just goes to show everybody has different needs and wants I suppose :)

I do most (90%) with the EVF as well. What i do like about the flip out screen, as opposed to a tilting screen, is the ability to get really low, or more useful really high above a crowd. With the fully articulating screen its nice that i can tilt it away from direct sunlight, something i couldn't do with my old Sony A6000.

cheers guys really interesting to see the differing responses from real users, very helpful.

funny,watching my finger press the enter button on an M100 with 15-45 and 50gig canon cloud storage for £329 del.didnt seem to be able to stop it ,ah well.:wacky:

Last edited:
Nice shots Andy, thats still my fav lens with this camera.

On a side note, ive just seen how soft my images are from yesterday. Shockingly soft. Ill have to try linking them from Flickr later tonight.
They lose some saturation also compared to your flikr ones. Actually ,a lot

Just been trying the M100,I’m impressed generally but the white balance seems to favour blue on white objects with highlighted backgrounds,is this normal for canon sensors as I don’t have issues with my Fuji or Nikon?

New
Just took another whilst sun is out and again it’s perfect WB,so
It seems to be later in day when the white conservatory and grey roof are in the shade but rest of garden is sunlit.
What’s the best way to manage this ?

New
Just took another whilst sun is out and again it’s perfect WB,so
It seems to be later in day when the white conservatory and grey roof are in the shade but rest of garden is sunlit.
What’s the best way to manage this ?

Its a lazy way but i dont worry too much until i have the raw files in Lightroom. I try and get as much right in camera, but with WB there doesn't seem any point in spending time trying to get it right. The LCD isn't colour managed anyway, so even if it looks good on the screen you might well be out in the file.
I have my M50 (and 5D4) set to AWB-W, which does a good job most of the time, especially indoors, but i dont think the M100 has this feature.

Yeah, at least until you get used to the camera.

I wish Canon would implement a one button custom WB system on the larger cameras. My 'old' Canon S110 lets you aim the camera, hit a button and CWB is set. None of this taking a shot first stuff. I think my old a6000 had this as well.

Back