Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Oh I agree Dave, I have very little interest in the new lens, 50mm (equiv) has never been to my taste, always preferred 35mm as far back as I can remember.
Still glad to see the 32mm being produced though, anything that enhances the system is good news for all M users and I'm impressed they have managed to produce it at such a small size.
Now if they were to produce a ultra wide f1.4 that would certainly get my attention, dont think thats very likely though :(

Fuji managed a 35mm 1.4 that was even smaller, but the Canon is nicely sized and light weight too

Their official videos with this guy are like something from the late 80's :D I wonder did he once work on the QVC channel?

Posted this in the Canon R thread but it's relevant here too:

As much as I cannot stand the loudmouth, his end conclusion is a lot more sane than any of the other vloggers or previewers: Buy an M50 instead, save $1200 [even more over here] ... unless you absolutely must have 4K with dual pixel AF

Finally got some time to read through the thread and yes I will go for the 32mm M lens.

It will be paid for, partly, by sellingoff my Sigma 30mm/f1.4 ART and the M28mm macrolite I already own.

The balance in choosing what will now become the most expensive M lens is size and my push to going back to a mainly Prime lens kit.
My experiences with 5 copies of the current highest price M lens, the 18-150 zoon has bee irritating to say the least and for a lens that retails, outside of a body + bundle, for £420+, means that a 32mm Fast M prime at the £400-500 mark is a reasonable swap.

The sigma 30mm Art retails in the UK at around the £265-299 mark, add in a Canon ef-ef-m adaptor at full retail c.£99 and you are on £400.

I would be OK with that for a native 32mm fast prime that will replace a heavier Sig 30mm + adapter.

Admittedly I will keep the adapter as both the 70-200 L and 55-250 EF-S are great on the M5/M50 bur overall the 32mm fits my wider cost benefit analysis and I have a sneaking suspician my ‘street’ walkabout shooting kit will be the current M6/22 pancake with the 32mm....

Lighter the better and, who knows, a Mark Ii 22mm pancake at some point?

Steve

However one thing that I haven’t been able to determine is if I can do back button AF on the M6. If so, is it in a comfortable/ergonomic position?

....I can't answer your question about BBF on the M6 but you can do so on the M5. However, ergonomically it's very poor! Its position looks perfect in theory but in real-world practice it's both awkward and uncomfortable.

If there is M5 Mark II and this is one of its improvements, I might* part-ex my M5 straightaway! I only mount EF lenses (all L quality too) on my M5.

When I say "might*" it depends what other mirrorless bodies Canon release in the not too distant future.

Hmm, I wonder how the new EOS-R body compares with the M5 both in physical size and spec, especially fps speed.

This was the real killer for me, 8fps when using single shot, 5fps when using tracking and... wait for it ... 3fps using tracking priority :canon:

....Certainly a killer for me too as I almost exclusively shoot wildlife. However, Canon are saying that the EOS-R is just adding to the existing EOS system (as the EOS-M range already does) and even without Canon announcing a future road map, it's a very safe bet indeed that other EOS-R body versions will be released in due course.

I think their 3 differing adapters are exciting variations and I particularly like the sound of the one with the customisable ring. The road ahead looks smooth rather than problematic.

But I wonder if a future R body equivalent to the 7D-2 with faster fps etc will kill their production of a 7D-3.

Last edited:
Way off topic! Not allowed to discuss r mount according to Phil
Their official videos with this guy are like something from the late 80's :D I wonder did he once work on the QVC channel?

Posted this in the Canon R thread but it's relevant here too:

As much as I cannot stand the loudmouth, his end conclusion is a lot more sane than any of the other vloggers or previewers: Buy an M50 instead, save $1200 [even more over here] ... unless you absolutely must have 4K with dual pixel AF

I could use your post there for just about all the popular threads on here right now.

It's not off topic, read my post or watch the video before ranting, the M50 gets recommended over the R in that video. Phil may be the boss of you, he's not the boss of me! :p ;)

Last edited:

Jonney*

There is a time when not tripping into controversy is more politic that igniting unnecessary rows.

Why not go with the flow?

There ar M users who may be looking are staying with M gear and others who will move or go for both series.

Let it run lest you be seen as a trol. Enjoy your journey with your new kit.

Steve

Jonney*

There is a time when not tripping into controversy is more politic that igniting unnecessary rows.

Why not go with the flow?

There ar M users who may be looking are staying with M gear and others who will move or go for both series.

Let it run lest you be seen as a trol. Enjoy your journey with your new kit.

Steve
Hipcrote or what?

Sorry I'm not letting this slide because I started trying to discuss m mount and rf mount and got slated. Yet here we are now talking about similar thing and it's ok now all of sudden?

Nope not having it one bit. We either can talk and compare rf and m mount here or we don't at all.

Hipcrote or what?

Sorry I'm not letting this slide because I started trying to discuss m mount and rf mount and got slated. Yet here we are now talking about similar thing and it's ok now all of sudden?

Nope not having it one bit. We either can talk and compare rf and m mount here or we don't at all.

You need to draw breath

I am happy to talk about any mounts. Even though my interest in this thread has been the M Mount gear since I got the original M kit.

So you deem me a hypocrite?

You have a serious problem - you and I have never conversed yet you call me a hypocrite.

Simple answer - you no longer exist as far as I am concerned. Bye.

Hipcrote or what?

SO you were just trying to stir crap? Good of you to admit. You didn't watch the video, you didn't read my post just jumped in like a flapping fish out of water to have your little weedy pop. Go lie down. It's very relevant to the M series when it gets specifically mentioned. Also you seem to have screwed up there in your angst, you forgot to do your silly comment on top of quote.

I post in here because I'm considering a move to the M series and /or another Canon body, why are you here? Your argument seems to be with Phil, nobody else said anything to you, and now you're just ranting like a scolded child

Last edited:
You need to draw breath

I am happy to talk about any mounts. Even though my interest in this thread has been the M Mount gear since I got the original M kit.

So you deem me a hypocrite?

You have a serious problem - you and I have never conversed yet you call me a hypocrite.

Simple answer - you no longer exist as far as I am concerned. Bye.
Steve he didn’t call you a hypocrite he called you a hipcrote.now I have googled it but it doesn’t seem to be a word that is recognised so I think you should apologise to Jonny.:whistle:

I'm not stirring crap. It's either we all can discuss and contribute to discussing m series and RF series or not.not one rule where I can't but the rest of you lot can.

That's the bit I'm not having it.

So if it's fine by the rest of you that I can discuss and contribute to m mount and RF mount then where all good.

So are we good? Can we all agree here besides Phil that it's fine to mention RF mount series here?
SO you were just trying to stir crap? Good of you to admit. You didn't watch the video, you didn't read my post just jumped in like a flapping fish out of water to have your little weedy pop. Go lie down. It's very relevant to the M series when it gets specifically mentioned. Also you seem to have screwed up there in your angst, you forgot to do your silly comment on top of quote.

I post in here because I'm considering a move to the M series and /or another Canon body, why are you here? Your argument seems to be with Phil, nobody else said anything to you, and now you're just ranting like a scolded child

I'm not stirring crap. It's either we all can discuss and contribute to discussing m series and RF series or not.not one rule where I can't but the rest of you lot can.

That's the bit I'm not having it.

So if it's fine by the rest of you that I can discuss and contribute to m mount and RF mount then where all good.

So are we good? Can we all agree here besides Phil that it's fine to mention RF mount series here?

I never said you couldn't mention anything else, so I don't know why you picked at me to begin with, maybe you just thought you'd get an angrier reaction? I don't see why not personally, but it's not my thread, and I don't yet have an M series cam so probably wouldn't be listened to as much anyway

I never said you couldn't mention anything else, so I don't know why you picked at me to begin with, maybe you just thought you'd get an angrier reaction? I don't see why not personally, but it's not my thread, and I don't yet have an M series cam so probably wouldn't be listened to as much anyway

Stop being such a hipcrote. :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't angry at you. More on Phil as clearly my discussion earlier about the different mounts was valid and anyone who thinks otherwise and are the ones who started talking about rf mount again are hypocrites.

So in simple terms if you read our spat between me Phil and twist and agree with Phil, but are fine for you and others to still discuss and compare rf then they are hypocrites.

Keyword is If so don't think I'm accusing you again unless you openly admit to the above. But all is well with you from your last post as you feel its perfectly valid to compare. Which is the same page im trying tell the other people here especially that bloke who ignored me.

I wasn't angry at you. More on Phil as clearly my discussion earlier about the different mounts was valid and anyone who thinks otherwise and are the ones who started talking about rf mount again are hypocrites.

So in simple terms if you read our spat between me Phil and twist and agree with Phil, but are fine for you and others to still discuss and compare rf then they are hypocrites.

Keyword is If so don't think I'm accusing you again unless you openly admit to the above. But all is well with you from your last post as you feel its perfectly valid to compare. Which is the same page im trying tell the other people here especially that bloke who ignored me.

I'll let you in on a secret, I don't read every post on here :D I skimmed over you and Phil arguing tbh. All I know is the vid I posted does mention the M50, I just thought some here might find it amusing that a popular-ish I guess, vlogger states that you are better off to buy an M50 and save a lot of money. The M50 usually gets slammed by the youtube crowd so it was at least refreshing to see some change their mind on this. You could skip the rest of the video and jump to the end, to be fair I should have posted directly to the point he says this.

The M50 does make for a nice vlog cameras.i saw the kei review of it .

You don't need a ff gaszlion pixel sensor for vlogging
I'll let you in on a secret, I don't read every post on here :D I skimmed over you and Phil arguing tbh. All I know is the vid I posted does mention the M50, I just thought some here might find it amusing that a popular-ish I guess, vlogger states that you are better off to buy an M50 and save a lot of money. The M50 usually gets slammed by the youtube crowd so it was at least refreshing to see some change their mind on this. You could skip the rest of the video and jump to the end, to be fair I should have posted directly to the point he says this.

You don't need a FF sensor nor a tonne of MP for stills either. I gave up FF a while back, just felt it was wasted on me being honest. Also I needed money at the time, and my gear was worth a bit, I still made sure I got camera gear from the sales and found I was perfectly happy having down sized.

The M50 lacking decent 4K and other video features doesn't bother me whatsoever, I know that sensor is very good, plenty good enough for my needs. The odd time I shoot video I would much rather decent AF 1080p over 4K

What do you shoot with now?

Also does the M50 have c log? That's great if you want to add your own luts
You don't need a FF sensor nor a tonne of MP for stills either. I gave up FF a while back, just felt it was wasted on me being honest. Also I needed money at the time, and my gear was worth a bit, I still made sure I got camera gear from the sales and found I was perfectly happy having down sized.

The M50 lacking decent 4K and other video features doesn't bother me whatsoever, I know that sensor is very good, plenty good enough for my needs. The odd time I shoot video I would much rather decent AF 1080p over 4K

What do you shoot with now?

Also does the M50 have c log? That's great if you want to add your own luts

I'm shooting with a Panasonic G80 now, teensy tiny sensor and guess what? The images are plenty good enough. I have been impressed with it, have it 8mths now. It's got 4K, but the AF sucks for video sadly, it's the biggest complaint about Pany cameras, otherwise the main thing I bought it for, the IBIS, is excellent and I find it really useful. It is probably the main reason I stick with, that and the also excellent touch controls. They will have to sort the AF for their FF one ... but not to veer off subject - If I do sell the G80 and other bits and Bobs, I have been pondering on an 80D with one of the M cameras on the side, the M50 if I could stretch to it. Or even just the M50 + M100 and more lenses. Still not sure, Fuji have thrown a spanner in today too. I had the XT1 and loved it, went to M43 for the IBIS and I thought I'd use 4K a lot more [got a couple of girls who love making mini films and pretending they are youtube stars, that kind of thing for fun] but HD is plenty good enough for that. Kind of hanging to see if they will announce an M5 or M50 mkII next week, or the 90D

....I can't answer your question about BBF on the M6 but you can do so on the M5. However, ergonomically it's very poor! Its position looks perfect in theory but in real-world practice it's both awkward and uncomfortable.

If there is M5 Mark II and this is one of its improvements, I might* part-ex my M5 straightaway! I only mount EF lenses (all L quality too) on my M5.

When I say "might*" it depends what other mirrorless bodies Canon release in the not too distant future.

Hmm, I wonder how the new EOS-R body compares with the M5 both in physical size and spec, especially fps speed.

No backbitten AF on the M6! I had the M6 for a while and very much liked it (esp the tillable built in flash!) but the killer was the continue shooting; Viewfinder black out and no AF in between. Sold it and purchased an M50 and so far, no problems at all. Actually much prefer it due to the built in EVF over using the debatable one and the AF, live view between shoots etc makes it the best Canon EOS I've ever had.. definitely!

I have to be honest, I tried BBF a few times with different cameras and I hated it! It's a very marmite thing perhaps. I'm just so tuned to half-press focus I can't shake it off.

I have to be honest, I tried BBF a few times with different cameras and I hated it! It's a very marmite thing perhaps. I'm just so tuned to half-press focus I can't shake it off.

....It is something that takes a degree of perseverance to get used to but once your muscle memory kicks in it then becomes unconsciously natural. However, the more important consideration is whether you want to separate the metering and autofocussing or not. It's because I am so used to it and where the AF-ON button is on my other larger Canon bodies, that makes it very awkward for me on the M5. It's a muscle memory thing.

Would an EF to M adapter and the 55-250 EF/s not be better? from what I've seen that is a great lens for the money

Would an EF to M adapter and the 55-250 EF/s not be better? from what I've seen that is a great lens for the money

That lens works brilliantly on both the M5 and, IMHO, even better on the M50. I was quite surprised at that!

When you consider that new (white box) copies are often sold in the £120-160 range on da bay, the price/performance results are excellent.

Add in c£50 for a decent adapter it is a no brainer.

Steve

That lens works brilliantly on both the M5 and, IMHO, even better on the M50. I was quite surprised at that!

When you consider that new (white box) copies are often sold in the £120-160 range on da bay, the price/performance results are excellent.

Add in c£50 for a decent adapter it is a no brainer.

Steve

I've been looking at the EF-S range a lot recently I still don't know where I want to go gear-wise, but if I do go Canon, I will definitely be buying that lens. It's only £129 on HDEW brand new

I've been looking at the EF-S range a lot recently I still don't know where I want to go gear-wise, but if I do go Canon, I will definitely be buying that lens. It's only £129 on HDEW brand new

As I said it has a brilliant price/performance for a ‘beginner’ level lens.

I actually prefer it to my EF 70-200 f/4L!

At the end of the day, we all have preferences, so when I shoot 35mm film, I still using the Pentax kit I bought new in the early 1980s (MX, ME Super, LX) with a mass of Pentax M lenses from the same era! (Also have a Pentax 645 and 67 which I try to get out with a few times a year)

The Canon M kit has revitalised my just pickin up the bag and going out. I even have the M6 with 22mm pancake for ‘street’ shots but also can be found with the manual MX and M 50mm f/1.4 with an out of date roll of film

In all it is not solely the kit but the challenge of subject and the available light.

Guys, ive got a question that I’m sure the answer is staring me in the face but i cant see it.

I want to do a time lapse video. I know how to do a normal one but i want to use the bulb ramping feature. I believe i need to have the camera movie more in auto exposure mode for this. At the moment its in manual.
The only way i can see of changing it is to turn on the mode guide, and that gives me the option to change it there. Is there an easier way?

Oh, and has anyone done any day to night timeplapes with this camera yet?

Guys, ive got a question that I’m sure the answer is staring me in the face but i cant see it.

I want to do a time lapse video. I know how to do a normal one but i want to use the bulb ramping feature. I believe i need to have the camera movie more in auto exposure mode for this. At the moment its in manual.
The only way i can see of changing it is to turn on the mode guide, and that gives me the option to change it there. Is there an easier way?

Oh, and has anyone done any day to night timeplapes with this camera yet?

Dave

I have been looking into time lapse on the M50 and now I am past the worst of my leg injury,I am heading back to Ireland tomorrow.

Until now I was using an EOS M with magic lantern but I got the M50 specifically for video.

This

View: https://youtu.be/Ea2N6BvUw5c

has been my start point but I am still pushing my learning curve.

Steve

Back