Canon EOS M Series Cameras

.... I don't know what the fastest type of card the M50 will support but as it's a fairly new camera it might support a faster write-speed card and that might possibly help your problem - It has certainly helped me on my EOS R when I moved from a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s to a Sony SDXC UHS-II able to write up to 299Mb/s. I can shoot a burst of 45 images (only done that many as a test!) with zero lag and each image is a 38Mb RAW. An expensive card but I empty and reformat after every session rather than have lots of cards.

Thats my thought too - I've never experienced any speed or slowness with the M50 and I shoot exclusively in RAW. I think I'm using some Sandisk 64GB Extreme cards.No complains, so I suggest you get a good 64GB card!

Im using a SanDisk Extreme PRO 32 GB, 300MB/s UHS-II Class 10 U3 SDHC Memory Card, so the card isnt the problem. Ive also tried it with slower cards, in case the camera is going in to fall back mode like the 5D4 does.
I get 7 frames before the buffer fills. Canon state up to 10 so i think its about right. Not sure why i was getting 3 that day, but i can definitely get more. No more than Canon specify though so i bet if you hold the shutter down you will get the same as me. its not lag of slowdown, its lock up until the buffer flushes.

I expect the EOS-R will have a larger and faster buffer, so there is no comparison between that and what is considered an entry level camera. Also the M50 only supports UHS-I officially, so wont take advantage of the faster cards.

I've just bought the 22mm lens from Currys in Wrexham. It wasn't marked at the reduced price on the display item but the £99 price was correctly rung up on the till. They have one more in stock at that branch. Quite a bargain at that price!

One from my m50 and 18-135 today, slowly getting used to changing points with the screen, but I don't 100% like it, more practise I think, and I must remember to turn touch shutter off, I somehow managed to trigger it with my nose today. I would very uch like to see the joystick on future models!

DB Cargo 60100 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

its out of stock on their web page :(

Damn! Got my eye on the 11-22 - if anyone has one any views? Kinda wish I had one as I could have taken that, the 22mm and the 55-200 on the M50; as it is I’m taking the Panasonic G80, 12.35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8.. [emoji37][emoji37]

Hi all,

I'm looking to invest in either a M5 or M50 (I want an EVF), and maybe a couple of Viltrox adapters, the speedbooster version and the ordinary autofocus adapter. I'm planning on the adapters as I already have a range of EF and EFS lenses for my 5DMkIII and 7DMkII, and I don't want to invest in another lens range when I already have good glass.

I intend to use it mainly for travel and a carry around, just to have a camera with me most times, as you never know what you might come across.

My problem is I can't make up my mind which body, and would value opinion from experienced users.

Hi all,

I'm looking to invest in either a M5 or M50 (I want an EVF), and maybe a couple of Viltrox adapters, the speedbooster version and the ordinary autofocus adapter. I'm planning on the adapters as I already have a range of EF and EFS lenses for my 5DMkIII and 7DMkII, and I don't want to invest in another lens range when I already have good glass.

I intend to use it mainly for travel and a carry around, just to have a camera with me most times, as you never know what you might come across.

My problem is I can't make up my mind which body, and would value opinion from experienced users.

The M50 is proving to be a great choice. I wanted a light weight alternative to my 7d2 for travel and carry around. I use it with my 18-135 stm adapted and I really can't fault the performance at all. I now have the 22mm f2 and that just stayed on the camera around sherwood pines yesterday.
I have only ever used an m5 in a photography show environment, main reason I had the m50, it impressed me much MORE than the m5 did orignally, of course that's just my thoughts. If your not bothered to much by less controls then the price performance of the m50 would make a great choice.

Very are 499 for the m50 body at the moment, plus eligable for double cash back of £140! Thats a great price!

Re the M50. Do you have to use the touch screen to make changes to settings or can it be disabled.

Thanks,
AL

Re the M50. Do you have to use the touch screen to make changes to settings or can it be disabled.

Thanks,
AL
You don’t have to use it, but it’s brilliant, anyone that regularly uses any touch screen device will take to it immediately.

The M5 is the most responsive camera I’ve ever used, in good light it’s as fast as any too. Unfortunately in poor light my joy drops like a stone.

Last edited:
Wowww after seeing your last picture with sun reflection you must be pleased with your m22 Michael, nice.

Yes Jim, very pleased with it, there a few instances where a flare comes in when trying to get the sun burst, but that last one it seemed to do a great job.

Here's another from the day before which I quite liked too

IMG_2033 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back