Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Couldn't tell you but for the extra £100 I would have gone for the 11-22mm from E-infinity, it's a brilliant little lens.
I get your point! Was just so I have flexibility to use this on my Panasonic G80 as well, the only reason I didn’t go for the M version. Plus the extra £100 is good to save... if it’s not good will get the M version!

Guys, can i ask a favour.

For those that have the M50 and using IOS devices, can your device preview the .CR3 files.? both raw and C-raw. My iphone 8+ (12.1) can, my son's ipad pro (12.1) can, my ipad pro (12.1.1.beta) can. Apple have listed both the R and M50 files are compatible with IOS12.1, but im finding not everyone on the same hardware/FW can see these files.

Here's a link to a test file if anyone cares to try it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f9ntctao8e1k3x/IMG_8121.CR3?dl=0

You don’t have to use it, but it’s brilliant, anyone that regularly uses any touch screen device will take to it immediately.

The M5 is the most responsive camera I’ve ever used, in good light it’s as fast as any too. Unfortunately in poor light my joy drops like a stone.

.... I have forgotten (my M5 is now gone) but can you review your images after shooting in the EVF? If so, it's also useful for enlarging in the EVF for pixel peeping closer inspection.

Guys, can i ask a favour.

For those that have the M50 and using IOS devices, can your device preview the .CR3 files.? both raw and C-raw. My iphone 8+ (12.1) can, my son's ipad pro (12.1) can, my ipad pro (12.1.1.beta) can. Apple have listed both the R and M50 files are compatible with IOS12.1, but im finding not everyone on the same hardware/FW can see these files.

Here's a link to a test file if anyone cares to try it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f9ntctao8e1k3x/IMG_8121.CR3?dl=0

.... I am fairly sure that you will find that only people with the same iOS devices and software will be able to see your files - This is true generally.

I have similar iOS devices to you and so can't test. I have iPhone 7 Plus, not 8+, and iPad 5, but all running 12.1.

For those M50 (and EOS R) users who shoot RAW and also post-process in Capture One Pro, their latest version 12 supports CR3 files (at last!) - Makes life and workflow a lot easier and Capture One have an excellent reputation for their RAW conversion engine, also updated in version 12.

.... I am fairly sure that you will find that only people with the same iOS devices and software will be able to see your files - This is true generally.

I have similar iOS devices to you and so can't test. I have iPhone 7 Plus, not 8+, and iPad 5, but all running 12.1.

No, it’s just a link to a raw file. As long as the OS supports it anyone can view it.
My GF can see it on her iPhone 5S fine, as can my son on his 6S. Yes, we are all running IOS12.1, which supports the .CR3 format.

Now here’s the interesting bit.
IOS12.1 will import these files in to the the photo app. All good. Thumbnails are generated as with any other files. The interesting bit is until you have imported one as above, Dropbox can’t work with them.
I tired this on an old iPhone 5S that had IOS11.4 on it. The phone and DB didn’t want to know, as expected. Updated to 12.1 and Dropbox still didn’t want to display the files I had uploaded. I connected the SD card reader and imported one .CR3 file. I then opened DB again and it would now preview the files.
I tried this on my sons 6S as that has never had the SD card reader before and I got the same result before and after.
So yeah, any device running IOS12.1 will work, but for now you can’t share the file to another device via DB unless that device has, or has had a .CR3 file in the photos app.
That’s my findings anyway.

This may be of interest to those using EOS M cameras who also have a collection of EF lenses :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/95150...os-m-speedbooster-style-adapter-for-ef-lenses

Although I have to admit that I don't see what the benefits are over the existing EF Adapter and am no longer using EOS M bodies, so my personal interest is limited.

However, as I came across it online I thought I would bung the info into this thread for those who are interested.

Anyone have any suggestions on the smallest bounce flash available? Had our work party the other night and naturally I was designated to bring along mine. -so brought th eM50, 15-45 and 430 EX Mark 1... but that flash is massive! Any tips?

Anyone have any suggestions on the smallest bounce flash available? Had our work party the other night and naturally I was designated to bring along mine. -so brought th eM50, 15-45 and 430 EX Mark 1... but that flash is massive! Any tips?

Godox TT350 is about as neat and tidy as you can get without sacrificing too much power

The 270EX II is a bounce flash ... or do you mean bounce and swivel?

oh is it!? I just quickly googles and must have mis read! Don't need swivel - I just mean bounce (I think!?) where you can bounce it off the ceiling etc?

Thanks!

oh is it!? I just quickly googles and must have mis read! Don't need swivel - I just mean bounce (I think!?) where you can bounce it off the ceiling etc?

Thanks!

Aye, bounce just means the ability for the flash to point upward and literally bounce the light off the ceiling, giving you a nicer diffused light. Swivel just adds the ability to bounce off side walls or reflectors, more options really. The Godox I mentioned earlier does both, but I'm not sure it's as powerful as the other suggestions. It is cheaper though.

So my m50 had a taste of gran canaria for a week, not knowing what to expect subject wise and my 1st time abroad I decided to leave the 7d kit at home and I borrowed my dads 70-300 is stm lens and took that along with the m50, 18-135 and 22mm. The camera seems to have served me well despite a few handling issues, where the 7d would have been better. But the little m50 still seemed to get me some memories, (new species of whales and dolphins). I have just over 1k of images from the week and only just getting to go through them as I didn't take my laptop with me.

Some pics taken from the plane

IMG_2582 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_2585 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_2587 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_2609 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Nice one. I love that first image.
I took mine to GC back in July. In fact that holiday was a big reason for getting my M50. I too took the 22mm f/2, but instead of taking my 18-135 i brought a 18-150 STM. I’m very pleased at how well the M50 and 18-150 worked, although ive not used the 18-150 since getting back.

I’m still using the M50 over my 5D4. Since i got the M50 in May ive taken well over 8k images with it, but shocked that ive only taken 27 images with my 5D4. The turning point has been getting the 32mm f/1.4.

Hope this is the right place to post, it’s is M related

I currently have the M3 and am now thinking of upgrading to the M6. The is used as a holiday camera as I have a 6d for home stuff

Good choice?

Edit: now spent today reading this thread and looking at the other options, M5, M50

To me the m5 looks a much better quality camera and the m50 looks cheap and fairly pointless due to crap 4k

It’s like Canaon wanted to add 4k to the box just to get sales. The only redeeming feature is the full articulating screen.

Anyway, for me, M6 is the right choice for holiday photos and video but still small enough to put in my pocket.

Last edited:
I went from M3 to M6. I wanted it to be pocketable with the 32mm mounted which I didn’t feel the M5 or M50 would be, and I have the add-on EVF anyway. The M6 is a quite an improvement over the M3 so I have no regrets.

I went from M3 to M6. I wanted it to be pocketable with the 32mm mounted which I didn’t feel the M5 or M50 would be, and I have the add-on EVF anyway. The M6 is a quite an improvement over the M3 so I have no regrets.

Same here went for the M6 already having M3 with the EVF, friend of mine been using my M3 for awhile and decided to buy the M6 with EVF and was supprised on with the improvement over the M3.

Out of interest the m6 is £325 body only and £360 with kit lens. As I have the m3 with kit lens should I just sell the body or will it sell better with the kit lens

Out of interest the m6 is £325 body only and £360 with kit lens. As I have the m3 with kit lens should I just sell the body or will it sell better with the kit lens

You wont get an M lens for 35 quid the difference of the M6 body and M6 kit so imo makes sense to go for M6 kit lens, If your going to sell the M3 you could do better selling the body only as you could make more on the lens only sale or quick sell as a M3 kit. also not sure if Canon are still doing the 50 pound cash back could be worth checking out.

Last edited:
You wont get an M lens for 35 quid the difference of the M6 body and M6 kit so imo makes sense to go for M6 kit lens, If your going to sell the M3 you could do better selling the body only as you could make more on the lens only sale or quick sell as a M3 kit. also not sure if Canon are still doing the 50 pound cash back could be worth checking out.
So what your saying is sell the m3 body and kit lens separately and buy the M6 kit?

The £50 cash back is with specific retailers only and does not include the retailer I was looking to buy from

So what your saying is sell the m3 body and kit lens separately and buy the M6 kit?

The £50 cash back is with specific retailers only and does not include the retailer I was looking to buy from

yes I think you would make more money selling M3 body and lens separately but may take longer as chances are both wont sell at same time.

The 50 pound cash back can only be claimed from reputable retailer.

Why? What difference does the colour made, I went for the white one because it was £40 cheaper. It still works in exactly the same way as a black one.

Sometimes having something that doesn't look like a "real camera" can be an advantage.
Opps sorry. Was not meant to insult

BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

Back