Canon EOS M Series Cameras

i'M a bit gutted, my 22mm got damaged. Going to see what canon say for a repair cost, hope it's not stupidly high!
Given the cost of lens repairs generally I can’t imagine it’d be worthwhile repairing it.

Given the cost of lens repairs generally I can’t imagine it’d be worthwhile repairing it.

That was my worry. They have quoted £104 fixed price repair, though if there is extensive accidental damge they will re estimate. I haven't done anything yet in terms of booking it in. Annoyingly only had it since november when it went down to £99 at pc world.

The Main dail around the shutter button on the M50. Can this be customised ie could it be used to adjust -3 to +3 exposure?

I have gone and bought the M6 :)

I am going to buy an additional battery and wondered what’s available other than the silly priced Canon LP-E17

Would be good if it was coded and could be charged using the Canon charger

Last edited:
I have gone and bought the M6 :)

I am going to buy an additional battery and wondered what’s available other than the silly priced Canon LP-E17

Would be good if it was coded and could be charged using the Canon charger

I don't think anybody produces a chipped version of the LP-E17 yet, so if using third party batteries you will also need a charger I'm afraid.
Hope someone can correct me if wrong?

Although the (very long) linked interview is mostly about the EOS R, I post it here because there is discussion with the Canon official which mentions Canon's plans regarding the EOS M and thought it might interest some of you. [I no longer have my M5]

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...anon-going-with-the-eos-r-do-they-have-a-plan

The relevant part is : "...the EOS M50 has been very popular since its launch.

Canon offers a wider range of cameras and lenses over any other brand to meet various demands of our customers. Currently, we are simultaneously developing new products in the DSLR family, EOS R series and EOS M series. The most important thing for us is to carefully listen to what customers want and make decisions accordingly.
"

So it would seem that contrary to some folks suggesting that development of the EOS M system would cease as the EOS R system expands, the EOS M is being further developed and is recognised as a very relevant part of the Canon EOS system as a whole.

The EOS M is mentioned elsewhere in the article but I would have to read it all again and it's long and of less interest to me personally to justify my time extracting it for you.

Ok, thanks so which should I buy

.... Well, not everyone will agree with me but I think it's always worth the cost of an original brand battery (in this case, Canon).

I see not doing so as an equivalent of running a high performance car on cheap specification tyres - 'Ditch finders'.

I have heard of cases where a camera has been in for repair and the warranty has been voided by the customer using third-party batteries.

Although the (very long) linked interview is mostly about the EOS R, I post it here because there is discussion with the Canon official which mentions Canon's plans regarding the EOS M and thought it might interest some of you. [I no longer have my M5]

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...anon-going-with-the-eos-r-do-they-have-a-plan

The relevant part is : "...the EOS M50 has been very popular since its launch.

Canon offers a wider range of cameras and lenses over any other brand to meet various demands of our customers. Currently, we are simultaneously developing new products in the DSLR family, EOS R series and EOS M series. The most important thing for us is to carefully listen to what customers want and make decisions accordingly.
"

So it would seem that contrary to some folks suggesting that development of the EOS M system would cease as the EOS R system expands, the EOS M is being further developed and is recognised as a very relevant part of the Canon EOS system as a whole.

The EOS M is mentioned elsewhere in the article but I would have to read it all again and it's long and of less interest to me personally to justify my time extracting it for you.
I read it the other day when I read your post in the eos r thread. It's certainly nice to know that they are not forgetting the m mount. I just wish they would at least supply a lens road map. If Canon were to ask me for feed back I'd want bigger/longer lasting batteries and get a joystick for focus point selection would be a good start.. I would also like to see a 70_300 m mount lens too. The most interesting thing about that article was the future for eos R!

Buyer beware - mug pricing at Currys. I'm sure this has been going on some time at Currys where items are suddenly priced above the normal retail price but it seems to be becoming much more prevalent of late and it seems certain EF-M system items are targeted. The Canon EF-M 22mm lens is normally £195 at Currys, as it is at John Lewis some 500 yards away. I'd previously seen this item raised to around £220 at Currys and then offered as a 'sale' item by bringing it back to their normal price of £195. Today this lens was displayed at £239, both in store and on Currys website. It's likely to appear in due course as a sale item at £195 and a 'fabricated' saving of £44. HDEW offer a white box lens at a much more compelling £109 at the moment. The same occured with the EF to EF-M adapter at the time of the introduction of the M50, suddenly that shot up in price. I've also found that some items are advertised at a discount online are not reflected in store, the discount also not applied in store until the purchaser waves the website on a mobile phone under their noses. I have learnt never to buy anything from Currys without first going online to check pricing and any discounts.

Couple of questions re lenses.

If looking for wide angle is the 10-22 ef-m the only or best choice?

Do many hear use a effort ef-mconerter is if so what lenses do you attach

Last edited:
Buyer beware - mug pricing at Currys. I'm sure this has been going on some time at Currys where items are suddenly priced above the normal retail price but it seems to be becoming much more prevalent of late and it seems certain EF-M system items are targeted. The Canon EF-M 22mm lens is normally £195 at Currys, as it is at John Lewis some 500 yards away. I'd previously seen this item raised to around £220 at Currys and then offered as a 'sale' item by bringing it back to their normal price of £195. Today this lens was displayed at £239, both in store and on Currys website. It's likely to appear in due course as a sale item at £195 and a 'fabricated' saving of £44. HDEW offer a white box lens at a much more compelling £109 at the moment. The same occured with the EF to EF-M adapter at the time of the introduction of the M50, suddenly that shot up in price. I've also found that some items are advertised at a discount online are not reflected in store, the discount also not applied in store until the purchaser waves the website on a mobile phone under their noses. I have learnt never to buy anything from Currys without first going online to check pricing and any discounts.
109 at hdew, that's only £5 more than the repair cost for mine that Canon quoted me. I still haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet.

If looking for wide angle is the 10-22 ef-mother’s only or best choice?

I used the sigma 10-20 via an adapter on my original m, it seemed to work fine and did as good a job as on my 7d2. Other lenses I have used via the adapter are 18-135 stm, 40mm f2.8, 70-300 nano version and my sigma 150-600. All of which work great with no compromises.

If looking for wide angle is the 10-22 ef-mother’s only or best choice?

The cheapest wide angle crop sensor zoom lens is the Tamron 10-24mm at circa £199. I had one on a Nikon DX camera but didn't like the significant distortion at the wide end, so wouldn't recommend it. Canon do a 10-18mm EF-S lens or EF-M 11-22mm lens, the former being quite a bit cheaper but probably quite a bit larger. I haven't used either, perhaps somebody else could chime in with how good or bad they are. However, I do perceive that buying into EF-M lenses might be something of a blind alley, they will only ever likely fir M cameras, whereas EF-S lenses will fit crop sensor DSLRs and even the EOS-R or any future EOS-R crop sensor camera with an adapter. That is of course purely a personal view, others might not agree regarding the EF-M lens system shelf life.

I do use the EF to EF-M adapter on occasion for a 50mm F1.8 and a Tamron Macro 90mm, but any other EF lenses I have works seamlessly.

Does anybody have any personal experience with the Viltrox EF-EOS M2 speedbooster (not be be confued with the EF-M2 M43 adapter) to fit EF lenses onto an EF-M camerabody? I've seen a number of online reviews which seem to be a bit of a mixed bag of results. There seems to be firmware issues and some samples need adjusting to obtain infinity focus, which doesn't speak volumes for quality control. I don't want to pull the pin if it still has problems.

109 at hdew, that's only £5 more than the repair cost for mine that Canon quoted me. I still haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet.

To be fair, it's actually a very good lens, I'd just scrap the old one and buy new.

It's likely to appear in due course as a sale item at £195 and a 'fabricated' saving of £44.
Didn’t they recently have it for sale at £95?
Whilst I agree with your assertion of their inflated prices, it’s not all bad news. ;)

If Canon were to ask me for feed back I'd want bigger/longer lasting batteries and get a joystick for focus point selection would be a good start.
The touch screen is quicker and more intuitive than a joystick (the best focal point controller since eye focus IMHO), the battery situation is no worse than any other mirrorless camera, I’m sure battery tech is top of every camera mfrs list for improvement. Though in reality, a battery lasts me all day of serious leisure shooting.

At least it’s not a ‘pro’ tool, I would hate to be a Sony wedding shooter and have to consider multiple batteries for a days work, and have battery management to add to the list of things that might trip me up.

The touch screen is quicker and more intuitive than a joystick (the best focal point controller since eye focus IMHO), the battery situation is no worse than any other mirrorless camera, I’m sure battery tech is top of every camera mfrs list for improvement. Though in reality, a battery lasts me all day of serious leisure shooting.

At least it’s not a ‘pro’ tool, I would hate to be a Sony wedding shooter and have to consider multiple batteries for a days work, and have battery management to add to the list of things that might trip me up.

.... I think that some photographers (like myself) prefer the joystick but mostly because it is what their muscle memory has already learnt and also if they also shoot on an additional camera body which doesn't have a touchscreen. In other words they want to standardise their muscle memory as much as possible. Personally I'm not keen on using the touch screen at all while shooting but I find it extremely useful afterwards. And yet I use both an iPhone and iPad (with pencil) with touchscreens.

When I had a M5 I found that it drank battery juice heavily and so I carried not one but two spares. Also mirrorless, the larger EOS R is able to hold a larger battery and consumption is as good as a 7D-2 or 5D-4 which use the same LP-E6N battery. But to be fair, the advantage of the M-series to many is how compact they are and consequently internal space for the battery is limited.

No such thing as the perfect camera, is there! :D

Last edited:

For me a joystick control is so much better, I have a weak right side and also have a tremor in my arms and hand especially on the right, so I can't always position the focus point properly and it becomes quite uncomfortable for me to do so.

Didn’t they recently have it for sale at £95?
Whilst I agree with your assertion of their inflated prices, it’s not all bad news. ;)

It was indeed £99 for one day only (15 Nov), at Amazon, John Lewis and Currys. I bought mine from Currys in Wrexham that very day, got to the till once somebody had dug it out and was asked for £195, hence my phone waving with the special deal showing online. It was then reduced to the sale price. So all ended well for me but others might well have paid full price had they not known.

Yes, I really like it. I will most probably go with hdew, I have never brought from them before, but I have read many good reports about them.

.... Quite a few folks here have bought from HDEW and I have done so a lot of times and also directly experienced excellent aftersales service regarding a repair. I have no hesitation in recommending them. I also highly recommend Wex for anyone who prefers a supplier with standard retail premises. You can visit HDEW but they don't hold stock (they used to be a high street retailer).

Well I left the M side for now - quite funny really, bought an M50 last year for around about £410 off e infinity I think it was. Had a G80 kit as well, and at the mo I prefer the G80. So listed the M50 on Ebay for a whim and someone bought it for £435...! Its available new today for about £410. Crazy! But hey, I though I don't use it enough so might as well get the doll rback! Still got the 55-200 and 22mm though, so I'll be back!

.... Quite a few folks here have bought from HDEW and I have done so a lot of times and also directly experienced excellent aftersales service regarding a repair. I have no hesitation in recommending them. I also highly recommend Wex for anyone who prefers a supplier with standard retail premises. You can visit HDEW but they don't hold stock (they used to be a high street retailer).
Thanks Robin.
We have a local LCE who we have dealt with for years, we generally go straight to them. But on this occasion I will go with hdew for such a good price. I just wish I didn't have to replace the lens :(

For me a joystick control is so much better, I have a weak right side and also have a tremor in my arms and hand especially on the right, so I can't always position the focus point properly and it becomes quite uncomfortable for me to do so.
I'd like a joystick/thumb controller as well. I prefer to adjust the AF point while im looking at the scene. Saying that, i tend to use centre AF point most of the time anyway. I cant get on with dragging the AF point. Worked ok when i wanted it to, but i found id move it by accident sometimes when i picked the camera up.
Sometimes features look good on paper but not so much in practice.

Anyway, its now been 8 months since i got my M50. In that tiem ive taken 17 shots with my 5D4. Time to decide if its worth keeping.

I'd like a joystick/thumb controller as well. I prefer to adjust the AF point while im looking at the scene. Saying that, i tend to use centre AF point most of the time anyway. I cant get on with dragging the AF point. Worked ok when i wanted it to, but i found id move it by accident sometimes when i picked the camera up.

Sometimes features look good on paper but not so much in practice.

.... I am exactly the same but thought I was the only one!

I thought I'd never make good use of a touch screen LCD before I had one, now I'd find it hard to do without. I've never had a camera with a joystick, so can't compare but I imagine it being a fair bit slower to nail your point? With practice a decent touch screen can be about as precise as you'd need, it becomes second nature to nail the point with one tap, and if you're just off a split second to adjust. I move mine while looking through the evf all the time - unless the G80 TS has better sensitivity? but I'd say they're on par from what I've seen. With this cam you can hit a button to return your AF to centre of it's strayed, does the M50 have similar?

Last edited:
With practice a decent touch screen can be about as precise as you'd need, it becomes second nature to nail the point with one tap, and if you're just off a split second to adjust. I move mine while looking through the evf all the time - unless the G80 TS has better sensitivity? but I'd say they're on par from what I've seen. With this cam you can hit a button to return your AF to centre of it's strayed, does the M50 have similar?
Yes (well the m5 does), and my thoughts exactly.
I really liked the joystick and was a bit frustrated when I used a camera without it - till I got the M5, where the touchscreen is loads better than a joystick.

Yes (well the m5 does), and my thoughts exactly.
I really liked the joystick and was a bit frustrated when I used a camera without it - till I got the M5, where the touchscreen is loads better than a joystick.

I must admit that when I first started using it, I did get caught off guard. I did a family portrait session for some friends, one of those where the kids were a bit mental and wouldn't sit still, at least 2/4 of them were throwing tantrums at every stage. Anyone who's shot other people's kids when they're going off will know this can get stressful fast! I noticed when chimping the first bunch of shots [what should have been the usable ones in between the whinge faces] that their faces weren't in focus and that silent panic began to set in as I stalled time with idle chit chat [trying to convince the parents I'd seen worse behaved kids ... aye] to check all the settings. Thankfully I realised pretty quickly that I'd been knocking the AF area out of place, right down to the bottom of the screen in fact, with my thumb between shots. From there on it became habit to double check, ensure I'd hit the Disp button to get it back centred.

I thought I'd never make good use of a touch screen LCD before I had one, now I'd find it hard to do without. I've never had a camera with a joystick, so can't compare but I imagine it being a fair bit slower to nail your point? With practice a decent touch screen can be about as precise as you'd need, it becomes second nature to nail the point with one tap, and if you're just off a split second to adjust. I move mine while looking through the evf all the time - unless the G80 TS has better sensitivity? but I'd say they're on par from what I've seen. With this cam you can hit a button to return your AF to centre of it's strayed, does the M50 have similar?
To centre the af point on the m50 you have to hold down a button to do so.

Last edited:

If looking for wide angle is the 10-22 ef-m the only or best choice?

I managed to pick up a used 10-22 for a canny price so sorted.

What I would like now is a cover for it when its in the bag with other items to protect it, any suggestions?

To centre the af point on the m50 you have to hold down a button to do so.

That makes sense, otherwise it'll be even easier to knock it out of place every time you pick up the camera. On the G80 a tap of the button sees it return to centre, but only when it's live/active on screen. Once it goes away, you have to tap the screen again to bring up the focus point and then tap the button, for the same reason

I managed to pick up a used 10-22 for a canny price so sorted.

What I would like now is a cover for it when its in the bag with other items to protect it, any suggestions?

I keep all my lenses in Lowepro Lens cases which I normally buy secondhand whenever I see them. I've ended up with a variety of different sizes to suit different size lenses. My Sigma lenses have all got their own Sigma cases. I then add a key tag to each case so that I can identitfy each lens without opening up similar size cases. For a specific shoot, I then simply select which lenses I need for the day and put them into a Lowepro or Tamrac bag so that the lenses are actually double protected on location. This adds volume but for M43 or EF-M lenses, it's not a problem for me.

I have a silicone protector for the original M in the classifieds if anyone wants one.

Back