Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I prefer the M5 for the extra controls on the body but if it's purely for macro then you may as well go with the M50.

I imagine the variable screen on the M50 would be better as well.
Thanks for your thoughts Mike, I quite like the extra controls on top too, but the screen is quite attractive I must admit.
(I'm not as flexible as I once was :D )

Last edited:
As much as I love my 7DII and associated L glass that I use for normal stuff, I'm starting to find it a bit heavy, and dare I say cumbersome,
for Macro. ( I guess I'm getting old)
I'm seriously considering a M5 or M50. lens adapter & using my Canon 100mm 2.8 macro.
It seems that they both have a "hot shoe" so I can still use the 580 ex or the 14 ex ring flash.
And maybe even invest in the dedicated macro lens at some point.
I don't want to spend a fortune on the EOS RP or the R, in case I can't "get on" with the mirrorless system
TBH I can't see much difference ( I'm not interested in the video spec) Body only the M50 seems to be about £450 - £500
and the M5 about £500 - £550.

Thought? comments?

TIA

I have the 7d2 and the m50, the macro I have is a sigma 105, as you say the 7d and macro combination is fairly cumbersome indeed. Had the m50 for a good few months now and it has to proved to be a great addition to the kit, and unless I am using the 150-600 the m50 is getting more use than my 7d2. I would give an edge to the m50 in overall sensor performance too.

I thought about the m5, but the m50 won me over, it impressed me a lot more than the m5 did when I first looked at it. The vari angle screen is a great addition. Another benefit is having the tripod mount on the adapter which I find better when mounting on a tripod with the macro, the sigma lens is rather heavy.

You wouldn't go wrong with either of them.

I have the 7d2 and the m50, the macro I have is a sigma 105, as you say the 7d and macro combination is fairly cumbersome indeed. Had the m50 for a good few months now and it has to proved to be a great addition to the kit, and unless I am using the 150-600 the m50 is getting more use than my 7d2.
Cheers Michael, I appreciate the feedback (y)
It's (M50) looking more and more tempting by the day :D

I forgot about the various angle screen but that is the one thing I wanted originally as well that swayed me in the M50 direction.

Personally I rarely use the back screen as I have never found one that works well in sunlight but the other thing I will say is that focus peeking along with the ability to zoom in on the subject through the EVF makes macro a lot easier than through a conventional viewfinder.

Well that's curious!

It seems that you can get one cheaper with a kit lens ( 15-45) than without!
And that not only applies to Amazon either!
None the less I found one on amazon warehouse " damaged box" for £465. with the "kit lens"
(I've bought stuff from the Amazon warehouse before and its been better than described).

Its supplied by Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L. so I doubt I'll get the £60 cash back ( Although I'll try :D )
But at that price Its no big deal if I don't.

Arrives Friday along with a meike adapter, I have a meike grip for my 7D II and its never missed a beat, so I thought its worth the punt at £25.80 (y)

The 'fully articulating screen' can be a bit irritating I find, much prefer the plain tilting type. But you do get used to it. Nice camera the M50, almost bought one a while back but opted for AF Canon adapters instead rather than having a separate side system. Enjoy!

The 'fully articulating screen' can be a bit irritating I find, much prefer the plain tilting type. But you do get used to it. Nice camera the M50, almost bought one a while back but opted for AF Canon adapters instead rather than having a separate side system. Enjoy!
Cheers Keith (y)
I'm not 100% convinced on the rotating back screen either, but TBH I think it might be useful, as I'm not as young as I once was ( re-bending)

I've not bought any "memory" in quite a few years, what a bloody mine-field it is these days!
I've got CF for the 7DII and some small SD for the little Canon 520, but at 2 Gig, I thought it wouldn't last that long in the M50 :D
Its certainly a lot cheaper than the last I time bought some, though, that's for sure!

Oh and I'd better sign out of Amazon, its starting to add up with spare batteries and cards :D

Last edited:
Cheers Keith (y)
I'm not 100% convinced on the rotating back screen either, but TBH I think it might be useful, as I'm not as young as I once was ( re-bending)

I've not bought any "memory" in quite a few years, what a bloody mine-field it is these days!
I've got CF for the 7DII and some small SD for the little Canon 520, but at 2 Gig, I thought it wouldn't last that long in the M50 :D
Its certainly a lot cheaper than the last I time bought some, though, that's for sure!

Oh and I'd better sign out of Amazon, its starting to add up with spare batteries and cards :D

Where I found it a bit irritating was for macro, when you're digging into bushes or a hedge and need that lower down angle of view but the screen has to come out the side, can get in the way hitting off side branches etc - but generally you can work around this.

On Memory, I'm still using some 32GB Sandisk extreme pro cards I've had since my Nikon days, through Fuji to M43 back to Fuji - same cards, still working perfectly. I did update to the U-3 type but mostly for 4K video. The older U-1 90mb/s ones work just fine for stills and can be got really cheap now

On Memory, I'm still using some 32GB Sandisk extreme pro cards
Funny enough, that's what I bought as I (still) use the CF version in the 7D II and never had an issue

Last edited:
As much as I love my 7DII and associated L glass that I use for normal stuff, I'm starting to find it a bit heavy, and dare I say cumbersome,
for Macro. ( I guess I'm getting old)
I'm seriously considering a M5 or M50. lens adapter & using my Canon 100mm 2.8 macro.
It seems that they both have a "hot shoe" so I can still use the 580 ex or the 14 ex ring flash.
And maybe even invest in the dedicated macro lens at some point.
I don't want to spend a fortune on the EOS RP or the R, in case I can't "get on" with the mirrorless system
TBH I can't see much difference ( I'm not interested in the video spec) Body only the M50 seems to be about £450 - £500
and the M5 about £500 - £550.

Thought? comments?

TIA

Glad you asked that Chris (y), it's a consideration I'm making too as a replacement to my 7D for use in my hide and as back up to the 5D.

I can't decide M5 or M50. I thought that the images I've seen online in reviews etc, the M50 looked a bit plasticky, especially the white one around the rear multi dial. I popped into my local Currys and they had an m50 there, in black and my fears were unfounded, it's actually a very nice finish and sits well in the hand.

I'm still stuck though and apparently, the M5 mkii is imminent, though take that with a pinch of salt as it's still a rumour. I'll be going for the body only with adapter, so I can make use of my EF-L glass.

Last edited:
I'll be going for the body only with adapter, so I can make use of my EF-L glass.
As above Dale. Don't discount one with a kit lens, while I was looking around, strange as it may seem, the ones with kit lens can be had cheaper than body only
:thinking:

M5 and 100mmL macro (handheld, natural light)
iso 1000 Wow!

Oh and my buddleia not out yet :(
Neither is my lavender hedge, that usually gets filled with bees and a queue as well :D
Neither of them should be much longer though (y)

As above Dale. Don't discount one with a kit lens, while I was looking around, strange as it may seem, the ones with kit lens can be had cheaper than body only
:thinking:

I just re read it Chris. The kit lens on such a small body would be a lovely walkabout bit of kit.

Well, the spare batteries, memory card and the adapter ring turned up today,
hopefully the M50 will arrive tomorrow (y)

when I can't be dealing with the weight of the 7d2.
I shall continue to use the 7DII for my "furry gob shots" (y)
But this is really inteneded to be a macro set up.
I don't really do "Walk about" but who knows eh? :)

Look forward to seeing your results!
Yeah me too :D

Sat. is looking a bit showery here in the PM
Sun. is looking good, hopefully I'll get a few frames run off over the week-end (y)

It certainly would, I haven't had a portrait lens since I sold on my 85 1.8 a few years ago. I have my sigma 105, but it's not the best focusing of lenses on the m.
I use the 85 on the M5 a lot - but it's a longer option, my favourite FL was always 135mm and that combo is a favourite. But I'm also loving 85mm on FF and I'd like to try similar on crop (50mm is too short)

I was using the 85 1.8 on the XH1 fr a bit via the fringer pro adapter - honestly makes Canon lenses as good as native. Sorry I sold it on tbh, might get another. The only issue I really had with the lens was the pretty bad purple fringing at 1.8 in any kind of harsh back lighting. Of course you can correct it easily enough, but I don't really want to have to. It was much better stopped down a bt, but again, i don't want to have to - I like 1.8 lenses to be good at 1.8 - it's sharp, but that fringing

The camera arrived, tried a few test shots even with the kit lens and natural light, first impressions are good (y)
Slight hiccup, no data cable in the box, strangley my phone data cabled worked.
On to live chat and an apology and a £10 refend (y)
Plenty of data cables on amazon at less than that :)

Its a bit noisy but as I said kit lens..

009a.jpg

The trials and tribulations thread is HERE

Basically Its starting to come together now after several frustrating moments ...
Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement as I ventured into the "M" world (y)

by Cobra, on Flickr

Who's have thought that a Clematis was a carnivorous plant?

by Cobra, on Flickr

:D

That's his day ruined!

by Cobra, on Flickr

Just bought an M50 on one of their ‘lightning’ Prime Day deals for £399...and hoping to claim the £60 Canon cashback too! :woot:
If only this was a few days earlier I could have taken it to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix on Sunday. As it was I had to use my iPhone XR for both photos and videos :runaway:

Can anyone advise as to which of the ‘M’ lenses are worth getting as it’s supplied with the standard 15-45mm?

Many thanks in advance for all/any recommendations (y)

Andy :thinking:

Back