Canon EOS M Series Cameras

but will do more research on the adapter and see if it can handle it or if I need to use the official one.
As before I briefly added the 100-400 MKII at around 1.5 Kg, just make sure you hold, or mount the lens on the tripod NOT the camera body.
Thank you ever do much for the links @Cobra I will take a look.
No worries John (y)

As before I briefly added the 100-400 MKII at around 1.5 Kg, just make sure you hold, or mount the lens on the tripod NOT the camera body.

No worries John (y)

It is just unfortunate that the Tamron 100-400 has no tripod collar, that was an extra that Tamron sold separately.

Tamron 100-400 has no tripod collar,
It seems that it comes out at just under 1.2Kg, but I guess you already checked that.
That would put a strain on the mount, to camera body, be that Meike or Canon.
I think if it was me I'd look for a collar but then if you don't use a tripod / mono pod, hand holding the lens would work just as well.

It seems that it comes out at just under 1.2Kg, but I guess you already checked that.
That would put a strain on the mount, to camera body, be that Meike or Canon.
I think if it was me I'd look for a collar but then if you don't use a tripod / mono pod, hand holding the lens would work just as well.

I always hand hold lenses even with my 70-200 2.8L II, find it so much easier to track and pan birds in flight .

It is just unfortunate that the Tamron 100-400 has no tripod collar, that was an extra that Tamron sold separately.

If you are worried about having to mount the camera/lens on a tripod, you could mount it on the lens adapter..

With your other queries, I use my M6ii at the Zoo, Kids and Cadwell Park for Motorsport.

I swapped down from a 5Diii then to the 7Dii and now the M6ii, I got on with it very well, using the Canon adapter and EVF. Battery life has been fine for me, I will admit to not taking very many shots on a day out, but last time we went to the Zoo I took 300 shots and battery life was above half when we got home.

Biggest lens I use it on so far is the Sigma 100-300 F4 (1.4kg) and it handles fine handheld. But I am used to the lens having had it quite some time..

If you are worried about having to mount the camera/lens on a tripod, you could mount it on the lens adapter..

With your other queries, I use my M6ii at the Zoo, Kids and Cadwell Park for Motorsport.

I swapped down from a 5Diii then to the 7Dii and now the M6ii, I got on with it very well, using the Canon adapter and EVF. Battery life has been fine for me, I will admit to not taking very many shots on a day out, but last time we went to the Zoo I took 300 shots and battery life was above half when we got home.

Biggest lens I use it on so far is the Sigma 100-300 F4 (1.4kg) and it handles fine handheld. But I am used to the lens having had it quite some time..

That is really good to know thank you, do you personally use the EVF for the zoo and motorsport or do you use the screen ?. Strange question I know but had read reports the attaching the evf shortens battery life by quite a bit.

you could mount it on the lens adapter..
That still puts a strain on the camera body as the adapter is attached to the the front of the camera.
In reality I really don't know if there will be any ill effects, but I'm not about to find out ;)

I always hand hold lenses even with my 70-200 2.8L II, find it so much easier to track and pan birds in flight .
Problem solved in that case (y)

That still puts a strain on the camera body as the adapter is attached to the the front of the camera.
In reality I really don't know if there will be any ill effects, but I'm not about to find out ;)

True, but the Camera is not holding the full weight of the heavy lens, if it's the camera body attached to the tripod..?

True, but the Camera is not holding the full weight of the heavy lens, if it's the camera body attached to the tripod..?
I would suggest that all the strain is on the front mount, where the adapter is attached to the body.
And they are both only plastic after all.
As I said it *Maybe* OK but I'm not going to be the one to test it :D

Hey, sorry for the confusion, I use the EVF almost all of the time (y)

No confusion at all but thank you for clarifying

I would suggest that all the strain is on the front mount, where the adapter is attached to the body.
And they are both only plastic after all.
As I said it *Maybe* OK but I'm not going to be the one to test it :D

Well I checked out some videos of really heavy lens on the M range and there are some people that connect the Signa 150-600 to it without a tripod, so chances are I will be safe with the 100-400mm. Well I hope so anyhow

Time for a few more images

Checking out the best real estate

by Cobra, on Flickr

A hover fly walk

by Cobra, on Flickr

I caught a few ants as they were leaving the nest ..
M50 100mm L macro lens, 31mm ex tube and raynox 250

Size comparison

by Cobra, on Flickr

by Cobra, on Flickr

by Cobra, on Flickr

I caught a few ants as they were leaving the nest ..
M50 100mm L macro lens, 31mm ex tube and raynox 250

Size comparison

by Cobra, on Flickr

by Cobra, on Flickr

by Cobra, on Flickr

Another set of fantastic macro photography Cobra. Unfortunately my Raynox 150 has gone walkabout but can get the 250 at a reasonable cost. Once I have mastered using the 100mm 2.8L without & with extension tubes on MF, I will definitely look at getting the Raynox 250.

Last edited:
Another set of fantastic macro photography Cobra. Unfortunately my Raynox 150 has gone walkabout but can get the 250 at a reasonable cost. Once I have mastered using the 100mm 2.8L without & with extension tubes on MF, I will definitely look at getting the Raynox 250.
Cheers John, I've never used the the 150, but the DoF goes to hell with the 250, its not the easiest thing to use TBH.
But yeah, I agree with you, get to grips with the extension tubes first,
Before you start poking insects eyes out with a Raynox :D

M5, 100mm L macro and Kenko 1.4x
Nice set Mike (y)

Cheers John, I've never used the the 150, but the DoF goes to hell with the 250, its not the easiest thing to use TBH.
But yeah, I agree with you, get to grips with the extension tubes first,
Before you start poking insects eyes out with a Raynox :D

Nice set Mike (y)

Good point there Cobra, another thing I need to learn which I gave just read about is stacking images. going to see what I can get in the garden later, need to get the practice in.

another thing I need to learn which I gave just read about is stacking images.
Not easy on something live, ;)
I find affinity does a good job (y)
There is a 30 day free trial It was on half price offer until recently too, that's when I grabbed mine.

So I'm after something lighter than my Sigma 150-600mm Sport for the M5 but with a bit of reach. I considered the 100-400mm MKII but money is a bit tight atm so I thought about a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L USM which I have had previously. Anyway put a wanted advert on the forum and it arrived today so off out this afternoon to try it.

TBH I have been spoiled with the IS in my K-1 and the SR on my Canon lenses as the 400mm has no stabilisation so I was shooting mainly at 1000th as it was quite windy down on the coast but the results are actually pretty good.

Kite Surfer
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Seagull

Needles

Back to the same spot this morning with the M5 and 400mm. First off I had forgotton how restrictive it is to shoot with a 400mm prime, secondly I don't think the M5 battery is man enough to drive the USM motor fast enough and thirdly I have come to realise how crap the M5 is at tracking (or locking on to) anything moving at a decent speed. Even my Pentax K-1 is better and that's the first time I have ever said that about Pentax AF.

Anyway ....

Winner or loser?

IMG_4547

Coming in to land

IMG_4599

Flypast

IMG_4553

Starting young

IMG_4434

Gone fishing

IMG_4509

I don't think the M5 battery is man enough to drive the USM motor fast enough
I'd not even considered that !
But then as I keep saying ( sorry :D )
my M50 is only used for macro. My gripped 7DII gets the white lens (y)

Winner or loser?
#1, brilliant (y)
#2 good DoF, intentionally or not :D
Heron, Maybe a bit of a processing tweak?

The rest, nothing really special in there IMO, sorry Mike.

Still kicking myself over not jumping on a cheap gripped 7D II with very low shot count on here a couple of weeks ago.
I've had mine a few years now, I've never regretted a minutes ownership (y)

Well now that it looks like I will be saving for an R6 due to my obsession with Full Frame, so cannot see it viable to pay out £900 for the M6 MKII with adapter, EVF and memory card. In all serious £200 for a EVF is quite ridiculous. However for zoo visits & nature reserves & Macro a Crop mirrorless would still come in handy. So now I am considering the M50 which can be bought for under £440 With the kit lens. So do think that would be the more sensible choice, especially as the M6 Mark II is prone to Shutter Shock and the fact that many of the native M lenses appear to give soft results due to them not being powerful enough to cope with the demands of the 32mp Sensor.

Well now that it looks like I will be saving for an R6 due to my obsession with Full Frame, so cannot see it viable to pay out £900 for the M6 MKII with adapter, EVF and memory card. In all serious £200 for a EVF is quite ridiculous. However for zoo visits & nature reserves & Macro a Crop mirrorless would still come in handy. So now I am considering the M50 which can be bought for under £440 With the kit lens. So do think that would be the more sensible choice, especially as the M6 Mark II is prone to Shutter Shock and the fact that many of the native M lenses appear to give soft results due to them not being powerful enough to cope with the demands of the 32mp Sensor.

Don't think you will be disappointed with the M50, it's a great little camera for most uses. Yes it doesn't have the more advanced autofocusing of the the M6 II or 7D II , but for most things and as a carry everywhere camera it should serve you well. It is a joy to use too, which is often forgotten when going by specs alone
Weakest point is possibly the 15-45mm kit lens, which has a bit of a bad reputation for variable quality control, though I have not experienced this with the two that I have had supplied with cameras, so I cant really fault them.
Go in with the expectation that it wont be as good as your full frames and I don't think you will be disappointed, quite the opposite I suspect :)

Nice set @Mike.P (y)
And I've no idea either :thinking:

A few from the other day.
M50 + Canon 100 mm L + top defused Flash ( 580 ex II )

I think its a drone fly (?) On Lavender.

by Cobra, on Flickr

Peacock on Buddleia

by Cobra, on Flickr

In coming

by Cobra, on Flickr

Weakest point is possibly the 15-45mm kit lens, which has a bit of a bad reputation for variable quality control,
I forgot to add, I've used the kit lens on many occasions, and TBH I find it very capable (y)

Somewhat Late to the party on this but I just picked up an M5 with the kit zoom and adapter from LCE as a lighter holiday camera.

Wow I am impressed, i wasn't surprised by the image quality, but what really stands out is how well it functions with the adapter; I have been using it this morning with the 50 1.8 stm and its a perfect portrait device, sits well in the hand and the lens functions seamlessly. I am interested to see how it performs with my third party Macro.

I suspect this will get a lot more use than I had anticipated.

Somewhat Late to the party on this but I just picked up an M5 with the kit zoom and adapter from LCE as a lighter holiday camera.

Wow I am impressed, i wasn't surprised by the image quality, but what really stands out is how well it functions with the adapter; I have been using it this morning with the 50 1.8 stm and its a perfect portrait device, sits well in the hand and the lens functions seamlessly. I am interested to see how it performs with my third party Macro.

I suspect this will get a lot more use than I had anticipated.

Not at all surprised with your reaction, hope you have a lot of fun with your new discovery ;)

Cormorant, He's probably confused by all the action below him.
FWIW thats why starlings flock / fly the way they do, it confuses Spars, they have trouble locking on to one target.

Nice set Mike (y)

Back