Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I was considering the package deal with the 18-150mm lens included. What is the lens like compared to more established EF lens ?
I've no experience of that one, just the 15-45 kit lens, I don't use it much but if I need something wide, I find it very capable.
Obviously a dedicated lens will focus a lot faster that an ef lens + adapter

Obviously a dedicated lens will focus a lot faster that an ef lens + adapter
Thanks for that Cobra, in particular the focussing faster comment
Well don't take too much from that statement re focus speed - it's factually incorrect. :)

Adapted lenses perform just as well on Canon mirrorless cameras as they do on their DSLR's.

There are some advantages with the latest R series lenses on the just announced R cameras (mostly due to the IBIS taking advantage of the larger lens throat and the operation of the electronic shutter)

But a fast focussing EF or EFS USM or STM lens will be as fast or faster than an EF-M lens on an M camera.

Well don't take too much from that statement re focus speed - it's factually incorrect. :)

Adapted lenses perform just as well on Canon mirrorless cameras as they do on their DSLR's.

There are some advantages with the latest R series lenses on the just announced R cameras (mostly due to the IBIS taking advantage of the larger lens throat and the operation of the electronic shutter)

But a fast focussing EF or EFS USM or STM lens will be as fast or faster than an EF-M lens on an M camera.

During my endless research and checking reviews And various forums, a number of people have said they have experienced better performance of their EF lens on mirrorless bodies. For example those that use a TC are often stuck with a single centre point AF on their DSLR, but are able to choose any focus point on their mirrorless body, should it be M or or R.

Well don't take too much from that statement re focus speed - it's factually incorrect.
From my personal experience ( and others that I know) I know that you are talking rubbish (y)
Particularly as this is an M series thread not an R , (there is another thread for that)
"we" were talking specifically about the M50 and "adapted" EF lens on an M50 will always be at a disadvantage but thanks anyway (y)

My EF lenses work just the same on my M5
Maybe the M50 is poor relation to the M5 in that case?
I can only speak from experience

Last edited:
Maybe the M50 is poor relation to the M5 in that case?
I can only speak from experience

Same battery I think. You almost exclusively use the macro with tubes though don't you and that is just slow on everything if you use autofocus. I imagine your 100-400mm would be slightly slower though as mine was which again I put down to the battery.

Edit: saying that mine was on a 7D and I imagine your II is quicker.

Last edited:
You almost exclusively use the macro with tubes though don't you
Not always with tubes and yes its slightly quicker with out them.

I imagine your 100-400mm would be slightly slower
Yes as it the 70-200 MkII 2.8 ( strangely there is little difference between those two, and I'd have expected the 70-200 to be faster at AF)

and I imagine your II is quicker.
Rapid with both the above lens's (y)

From my personal experience ( and others that I know) I know that you are talking rubbish (y)
Particularly as this is an M series thread not an R , (there is another thread for that)
"we" were talking specifically about the M50 and "adapted" EF lens on an M50 will always be at a disadvantage but thanks anyway (y)
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Same battery I think.

No, not the same battery, the M50 uses the LP-E 12 and the M5 uses the more powerful LP-E 17, so could account for some difference.
I certainly dont have any complaints about focus speed on my M50, but I dont use any large EF lenses on it.

YOU were talking about adapted lenses + ext tubes.
There was no mention of that in Andrew's question ;)
Been catching up on this thread as seriously considering an M50 - although I have a good selection of EF lenses already I was considering the package deal with the 18-150mm lens included. What is the lens like compared to more established EF lens ?
And I can confirm the 17-55 is faster on an M than the EF-M kit lens in my experience

latest.gif

YOU were talking about adapted lenses + ext tubes.
Again more crap there was no mention in my post of tubes inferred or stated.
Everyone knows that a tube slows focus. I was talking about the lens plus adapter.

And I can confirm the 17-55 is faster on an M than the EF-M kit lens in my experience
Good, we are now talking about personal experiences.
That's the point (y)

No, not the same battery, the M50 uses the LP-E 12 and the M5 uses the more powerful LP-E 17, so could account for some difference.

You live and learn eh. It's still not man enough to drive my Sigma 150-600mm sport with any conviction though and with the lens SR on it seems to last about 5 minutes. Saying that a Canon M5 with a 150-600mm sport is probably more unbalanced than David Icke which is why I rarely bother.

Just out of curiosity have any M users indulged in focal reducer Speedboosters ?. Looking at reviews and they do seem to be a hit & miss depending on glass / body used, but in exchange for the 0.71x focal reduction, you do gain that extra stop. So for instance a 14mm F2.8 on a crop would be a 15.90mm at I assume F2, so closer to being a full frame image than without.

Honey beez .. on Thymus
M50 + Canon 100 L + 31 mm tube

Honey-bee.jpgHoney-bee-1.jpgHoney-bee-2.jpg

Last edited:
M5, 400mm f/5.6L + 1.4x MKII converter handheld last night.

Moon 29/7/2020
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Fantastic image Mike

Honey beez .. on Thymus
M50 + Canon 100 L + 31 mm tube

View attachment 288329View attachment 288330View attachment 288331

Fantastic set of images Cobra

Well I had a small win on Tombola and so I caved and ordered a M6 MKII with EVF. Going to take awhile to arrive as it is a Grey, But have already had the Speedbooster & EVF delivered, so just need to order the UHS II card, am thinking the Sony Tough-M will do the trick with it’s 150 mb/s write speed as apparently the M6 MKII doesn’t have any performance improvements on cards with faster speeds. Really looking forward to getting this new camera with it being my first ever Mirrorless, and start contributing on this great thread.

Well I had a small win on Tombola and so I caved and ordered a M6 MKII with EVF.
You finally made your mind up then? :D
I hope you enjoy. (y)

And depending on where you bought it from, it may not take take that long.
I bought a lens from panamoz recently, less than 48 hours to the uk from placing the order, it then took longer
from the UPS depot 20 miles away to get to me :rolleyes:

Fantastic set of images Cobra
Cheers John (y)

You finally made your mind up then? :D
I hope you enjoy. (y)

And depending on where you bought it from, it may not take take that long.
I bought a lens from panamoz recently, less than 48 hours to the uk from placing the order, it then took longer
from the UPS depot 20 miles away to get to me :rolleyes:

Cheers John (y)

I bought it from E-Infinity as have used them the majority of my equipment over the last few years. It has DHL dealing with it, so am hoping they update their tracking information soon.

Well I went and did it and purchased the M50, been testing with various lenses today and have to say very impressed. First time I have used a mirrorless and hearing the noise when the shutter was depressed was to say the least different.

Few interesting observations, as I mentioned in a thread elsewhere, a Kenko x2 extender I had which would not work with my 100L macro lens on my main 5d4 camera - DOES work with the M50 so thats an unexpected bonus for me and equally important was lovely and sharp, next test will be with extension tubes.

What surprised me on reviewing the EXIF details for an image, is when I added the x2 convertor into the test with a 300mm lens, it still registered in the EXIF as 300mm, not the 600mm I was expecting to see. Yet with the 100 L macro lens it showed as 200mm

Not having used the x2 convertor since I started looking at EXIF information I don't know if this is standard across all cameras or just the M50.

Last edited:
Just had my 128gb Sony Tough-M UHS II delivered. All I need now is the Camera, which is Currently at Heathrow, so will hopefully have that in the coming days.

What surprised me on reviewing the EXIF details for an image, is when I added the x2 convertor into the test with a 300mm lens, it still registered in the EXIF as 300mm, not the 600mm I was expecting to see. Yet with the 100 L macro lens it showed as 200mm

Depends on the info being reported to the camera from the lens, some have firmware that report corrected info, some don't. It may be that some lenses can have their firmware updated, Sigma and Tamron lenses often need updating in order to function fully.

Depends on the info being reported to the camera from the lens, some have firmware that report corrected info, some don't. It may be that some lenses can have their firmware updated, Sigma and Tamron lenses often need updating in order to function fully.

Didn't realise that being Canon L series lenses you would have thought they would be ok

Didn't realise that being Canon L series lenses you would have thought they would be ok

Not sure, only L lens I've used is the 17-40mm, which is surpassed by the native EFM 11-22mm in all respects. I guess it will depend on the age of the lens aswell, many L lenses will have been designed prior to mirrorless being even thought of :)

It’s here, I cannot believe how small & light it is.
No idea how they compare to the M50 but if its anything like it seems like a toy compared to my gripped 7DII
Enjoy, John (y)

LOL, don't worry, once you use it you will realise it's no toy ;)
Have fun.
Totally agree with that, My M50 with L series lens, produces just as good, if not better images, with the same lens on my gripped 7DII
I have to admit I'm now seriously thinking about an EOS R especially as there is the 1.3 and 1.6 crop option in a full framed sensor .

Totally agree with that, My M50 with L series lens, produces just as good, if not better images, with the same lens on my gripped 7DII
I have to admit I'm now seriously thinking about an EOS R especially as there is the 1.3 and 1.6 crop option in a full framed sensor .

Not sure the R/RP can do a 1.3x crop, I think its only APSC.

My bad :facepalm:

Wishful thinking possibly?
:D

I think its probably because the DSLRs offer the 1.3x. I am using the RP and I havent stumbled across a 1.3x. You might already know this but you get 10MP RP and 12MP R when using APSC mode.

12MP R when using APSC mode.
That's kinda putting me off a little bit TBH.
Being slightly more than half of the 7DII @ 20.2
And as it apparently shares the same processor ( DIGIC 8 ) as the M50 is it truly worth the price ( which does seem to be dropping though.)
I also looked in depth at the 5DsR but is 50Mp truly an advantage?
In comparison ( charts) with the 7DII there doesn't seem much advantage to me at least.
I'm in a bit of a quandary TBH, sometimes I think I will and then again ....

That's kinda putting me off a little bit TBH.
Being slightly more than half of the 7DII @ 20.2
And as it apparently shares the same processor ( DIGIC 8 ) as the M50 is it truly worth the price ( which does seem to be dropping though.)
I also looked in depth at the 5DsR but is 50Mp truly an advantage?
In comparison ( charts) with the 7DII there doesn't seem much advantage to me at least.
I'm in a bit of a quandary TBH, sometimes I think I will and then again ....

I guess the benefits are the same with any FF v APSC, but if youre going to be using the R in crop mode all the time then it makes more sense to just use a crop camera.

M6 mkii and optional EVF if you need it?

Canon M50Canon M6 Mark II
Mirrorless system cameraMirrorless system camera
Canon EF-M mount lensesCanon EF-M mount lenses
24 MP, APS-C Sensor32.3 MP, APS-C Sensor
4K/24p Video4K/30p Video
ISO 100-25,600 (100 - 51,200)ISO 100-25,600 (100 - 51,200)
Electronic viewfinder (2360k dots)Viewfinder optional
3.0 LCD, 1040k dots3.0 LCD, 1040k dots
Swivel touchscreenTilting touchscreen
10 shutter flaps per second14 shutter flaps per second
235 shots per battery charge305 shots per battery charge
116 x 88 x 59 mm, 390 g120 x 70 x 49 mm, 408 g

but if youre going to be using the R in crop mode all the time then it makes more sense to just use a crop camera.
This is the thing, I usually shoot animals with the 7 so a crop makes sense.
It was getting a bit heavy for macro hence buying the M50, which is great with the 100 mm L .
Its a nice matching pair ( the 7D & M50) TBH,
But I have this tax rebate burning a hole in my pocket :rolleyes:

Maybe I should just be happy with what I have :D

This is the thing, I usually shoot animals with the 7 so a crop makes sense.
It was getting a bit heavy for macro hence buying the M50, which is great with the 100 mm L .
Its a nice matching pair ( the 7D & M50) TBH,
But I have this tax rebate burning a hole in my pocket :rolleyes:

Maybe I should just be happy with what I have :D

New lens?

New lens?
I have the 70-200 MKII 2.8 & the 100-400 MKII both work well on my trips,
I prefer zooms TBH so there isn't really anything to add to that.
( oh and I'm a brand whore so the Siggy Sport is out :D )

Back